As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

2010 Omegathon - OMEGANAUTS MAKE YOURSELVES KNOWN!

14567810»

• HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So, does anyone know which of these games are downloadable on the 360? I assume Bomberman is, but is Katamari?

Heleor on
  • KjeldorKjeldor Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    Heleor wrote: »
    So, does anyone know which of these games are downloadable on the 360? I assume Bomberman is, but is Katamari?

katamari is $20 on XBL

Kjeldor on
  • cleriseclerise Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Deborah Davis.

played zombie dice and bomberman for agesss last night with ms variantform @_@

clerise on
  • ariocksayssqueeariocksayssquee Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    olanmills wrote: »
    Dang, I was hoping Reach would be on the list. I need to practice Puzzle Bobble as I haven't played it in years and even then, I've only played it a couple times.

I wouldn't be so sure it's not on the list. It might just be called "???" Final Round 2007 was Halo 3.

ariocksayssquee on
    edited August 2010
    Hmm. There's a new Bomberman Live game coming in late 2010. Bomberman Live is on the list of Omegathon games. Coincidence?

Heleor on
  • contrefaitcontrefait Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Probably.

contrefait on
    PAX East 2016 Checklist
    Passes: ▬ Hotel: ▬ Flight: [color=red]☑[/color]
    edited August 2010
    Noah, Matt and I will be playing Zombie Dice, Katamari, and Bomberman today at around 6ish. If anyone wants to join us (and are located near downtown Seattle), gimme a call at 443-676-1455.

Heleor on
    edited August 2010
    Thanks Steve for calling, even though you were in Minnesota. Wasn't actually expecting anyone to call a random number they found. :P

Zombie dice is broken - but probably only because Noah kept rolling 15s in one round...

Heleor on
  • timtechtimtech Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Question, my friend is one of this years Omeganauts. She's asked me to be her +1 - I said yes of course but my question is.....

What exactly does this mean?

timtech on
    edited August 2010
    timtech wrote: »
    Question, my friend is one of this years Omeganauts. She's asked me to be her +1 - I said yes of course but my question is.....

from what i understand, omeganauts don't have to wait in line for panels and stuff, they get to skip the queues and go right in. Their +1 is an extra person they can bring along to skip the lines with them.

perhaps on of the past omeganauts can give better details on it.

Kjeldor on
  • cove_kidcove_kid Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Kjeldor wrote: »
    timtech wrote: »

from what i understand, omeganauts don't have to wait in line for panels and stuff, they get to skip the queues and go right in. Their +1 is an extra person they can bring along to skip the lines with them.

perhaps on of the past omeganauts can give better details on it.

That's pretty much exactly what it means. They way it was explained to us at East, this priority access makes up for the time lost for Omeganauts who have a scheduled to stick to during the week. If I understand how it worked in past PAX Prime's, you should get an extra badge to go with your daily/3-day passes that will actually say "+1" and your friend will get one that says "Omeganaut".

I never got a clear answer if the "skip all lines" works for the concerts and/or the expo hall. At East, it depended on the Enforcer you were talking to for the concerts and I was never brave enough to try skipping lines in the Expo Hall.

cove_kid on
    PAX East 2010 Omeganaut
    Team 16: Guitarist for The Clap Trap
    edited August 2010
    It depends on the enforcer manning the line. Some expo hall lines can be skipped as well - but you won't know unless you ask.

Heleor on
  • MegadestructoMegadestructo Indie Community Manager Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hmm, who to make my plus one?

Also Eric Chon here (to add to that list).

And yup, still terrible at Bomberman...

Megadestructo on
    edited August 2010
    Last year there wasn't an extra pass or badge except for the one for the Omeganaut. The +1 is just someone with you right at that moment.

contrefait on
    PAX East 2016 Checklist
    edited August 2010
    Are you sure, contre? Noah said something about having a +1 badge last year. Maybe he was speaking figuratively?

Heleor on
    edited August 2010
    I know I made use of Drobro's +1 last year by just standing near him for the JoCo concert.

contrefait on
    PAX East 2016 Checklist
  • SurlyDuffSurlyDuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well, I don't have a formal "+1" going with me to PAX. My wife can't go (work), and I don't have any close friends I know who are going this year... so I may just have to hook up random people. I will be an "OmegaSanta" if you will.

P.S. No PMs please... I'll do this at my discretion and/or ability or mood.

SurlyDuff on
  • BaconSandwichBaconSandwich Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Zombie dice is broken - but probably only because Noah kept rolling 15s in one round...

Ha, that's just cause Noah is awesome all the way up to the final round, this has been proven twice already. Just finished the Omegathon documentary on the PAX09 DVD. Call me crazy, but I think Noah might be a ringer - he just likes the competition and so is intentionally losing on the final round so he can keep coming back year after year :)

Regarding the +1's.. at PAXEast we were told our Omeganaut badges would get ourselves plus whichever one person we vouched for. There were no +1 badges (although I would like one as it adds to AC with no encumbrance). On a side note, I'm sure it's because it was a new city with a lot of fresh Enforcers, but I got absolutely nowhere with my Omeganaut badge :?

BaconSandwich on
    PAX East 2010/2011/2012 Omeganaut!
    edited September 2010
    seems like omeganaut #20 will be chosen friday morning? Did someone drop out or something?

Kjeldor on
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I dunno, I hadn't heard anything prior to them talking about snagging someone from the line.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    edited September 2010
    Whoo, Omegathon, two days. Zombie dice still hates me.

Heleor on
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

Yeah, I gave this a try last like and it seems to be a game of 100% luck and seeing as how I have terrible luck with dice, I can assume that I won't be surviving this round.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    edited September 2010
    TOGSolid wrote: »

Yeah, I gave this a try last like and it seems to be a game of 100% luck and seeing as how I have terrible luck with dice, I can assume that I won't be surviving this round.

It's not 100% luck. 80% luck and 20% skill is what I'd say. :P

Heleor on
    edited September 2010
    i played a few games of zombie dice last night with m@! in preparation for the omegathon, definitely a lot of luck involved. Knowing what color dice are left in the cup is key to making good decisions on when to bank your points and when to keep rolling, but it's still mostly a crapshoot.

Kjeldor on
  • emarecksaykayemarecksaykay Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hey folks, Omeganaut 2009 here. Just to clear up a few things. Ordinarily, they would have these punch cards (which I hope they bring back this year) in the swag bags. When you showed up to an Omegathon round as a spectator, somebody would be there punching holes in them, and at the end you'd turn them in at the final round. They'd pick one fully-punched punch card out of the bunch, and that person would be an Omeganaut the next year. Unfortunately, they didn't end up in the swag bags at PAX 2009, so they said they'd come up with a new method of picking the magical #20 Omeganaut this year. It was a cool way of getting somebody who obvious was interested in the Omegathon (they went to every round) to have a shot at being one the next year. Apparently they're going to just pick somebody out of the line this year to be #20.

Anyway, to this year's Omeganauts, good luck! It is an unforgettable experience, and I doubt any other PAX you go to can compare. You get extra swag, you get to see much more of the convention because you can skip lines, and of course, the competition is unlike anything else you've ever experienced. It's intense, it's scary, it's a lot of fun. It's a small club, and I welcome you to it! I'll definitely try to catch all of the rounds, and cheer you guys on. While it's true you're there for our amusement, and nothing about the competition is intended to be easy or even fair, you're guaranteed to have a lot of fun. Even if you get eliminated on the first round, you still get your line-skipping privileges, and people will come up to you and want to talk when they see your OmegaShirt or even just recognize you from one of the rounds. You get to be a celebrity for a weekend, a VIP. It's really awesome. Take advantage of every opportunity, seize this PAX and this Omegathon for all its worth. I'll probably come up to a few of you to say hi and reminisce. If I can pass on any wisdom, it is this: you are not prepared, no matter how much you practiced, no matter how confident you are. It doesn't really matter though, because nobody else is either. The important thing is to have fun, keep your heads high, and take as many mental snapshots as you can.

Godspeed, Omeganauts!

emarecksaykay on
    -mrxak, OMEGANAUT '09
    (You just say the letters)
    edited September 2010
    @mrxak: Thanks, that was a great post, and hope to see you at the rounds. :)

Heleor on
  • BaconSandwichBaconSandwich Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    On this, PAXmas Eve, I wish all of you the best of luck. May your hands be steady and your resolve never waver. Mostly, have a bunch of fun, like that needs to be said

BaconSandwich on
    PAX East 2010/2011/2012 Omeganaut!
  • olanmillsolanmills Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    As some people requested, I will try to tweet during the show: https://twitter.com/gamer_olanmills, but I have a problem!

Twitter deprecated their Basic Auth scheme for their API, and as a result Twitter apps that have not been patched to use their new auth scheme no longer work. I can't tweet from my Zune or my phone anymore!

Can someone please point me to a free Windows Mobile Twitter app that works now? I can send tweets via text message, but I don't have unlimited texting, so I'd rather not.

Anyways good luck everyone!

olanmills on
    VmUq7mz.png
    edited September 2010
    Olan, unfortunately I don't know an app. I tweet my messages using SMS, as any data access will just be too slow at the con itself!

Heleor on
  • shugaraeshugarae Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Good luck, Omeganauts!

And hey, even if you lose in the first round (like me!), it's still one hell of a ride (and the line privileges alone are worth it). :)

shugarae on
    Omeganaut class of '08. Fuck Peggle. Omeganaut class of '17 West. Fuck Rainbow Road.
    The Best in Terms of Pants on JCCC3
  • TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Final Round

DUKE NUKEM FOREVER, Stadium Deathmatch

Calling it now.

Topia on
    edited September 2010
    That would be an epic win! :D

Heleor on
  • CougRonCougRon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh my god. Duke Nukem Forever for the final round would be EPIC. I was thinking of skipping but now I might go just for the chance to see it.

CougRon on
This discussion has been closed.