As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV] Open Beta ends the 19th; Wutai server! Server change for live?

• Options
    TrenogTrenog Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sounds like my problem as well. I'm not sure how I can attack if the game keeps shouting at me "This action can not be performed" whenever I try something as my conjurer :?

Anyone come to grips with the system and is successful enough to tell/show us how it's done?

Trenog on
    steam_sig.png
    Malkor wrote: »
    Rolo wrote: »
    opium is all natural shit son

makes you stronger

It also makes you immune to time.
    Bama wrote: »
    Two weeks ago, I lost the bulk of my female friends

She really hates it when you call her that.
    FCD wrote: »
    Ahhh, Orochimaru. Or, as I like to call him, Japanese Pedophile Voldemort.
  • Options
    IndieGirlIndieGirl Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Trenog wrote: »
    Sounds like my problem as well. I'm not sure how I can attack if the game keeps shouting at me "This action can not be performed" whenever I try something as my conjurer :?

Anyone come to grips with the system and is successful enough to tell/show us how it's done?

Not really. I attempted some solo leves as a conjurer and got absolutely flattened. Attempted the same leves as an archer and was much more successful. Casters have a lot of issues and this makes me sad, because I want to be a caster. Really badly.

IndieGirl on
    zle3Y.jpg
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Okay, playing as a caster and keep dying to shit because of the unbearable lag - I get 1 attack to the mob's 5 or 6. I also have no idea whether a spell is actually going to cast or not when I hit the button. Anyone got any ideas on sorting this out? My chat box looks like this:

That action cannot be performed.
    The naked mole's attack hits you for 43 points of damage.
    The naked mole's attack hits you for 41 points of damage.
    etc...

The same thing was happening to me with the Naked Mole leve. I thought it might actually be related to the mobs, because I wasn't having that problem on any other leve.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    IndieGirl wrote: »
    Trenog wrote: »

Not really. I attempted some solo leves as a conjurer and got absolutely flattened. Attempted the same leves as an archer and was much more successful. Casters have a lot of issues and this makes me sad, because I want to be a caster. Really badly.

I'm sure it'll get fixed in the release.
    Along with everything else that sucks about this game /eyeroll

Getting a little tired of hearing "it's a beta" about all the crap in a game that's like 2 weeks away from launching.

Grundlestiltskin on
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Finally got the game to download with uTorrent.. most of it is downloaded. So I decided to add my OB key to my SE account.. website is down. :(

Edit: Nevermind, browser was glitching.. whew.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Anyone with pearl giving abilities near Ul'dah right now?

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So yeah, the UI in this is worse than FF11's -- and that's saying something, cause I've seen DOS batch files with better UIs than FF11.

We'll give this a try again now that I've got a nap in me.

KiTA on
  • Options
    a puddlea puddle Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
  • Options
    xigurdxigurd Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Graphic on this game is very impressive, switching to Cataclysm will be like going from FF6 to FF7.

Also on Wutai:

Asher Seyne

Risna Fouche

xigurd on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Will say this though -- the music is absolutely amazing.

On Wutai as Jorana Nioben. My IRL friends are pressuring me to go to Selbina though.

Edit: Apparently the Configuration menu option causes the game to crash.

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    A lot of things cause the game to crash.

It's cool though, beta.

Grundlestiltskin on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
    Bring them to Wutai.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Anyone on who can invite in Gridania now?

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AkiraAkira Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Quick question that's probably been asked a bunch before, does my closed beta account work for this open beta? And can I just update the closed beta client or do I need to re-install?

Akira on
    akira.gif
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
    You will need a new key from the website.

The client will work fine if it is updated.

Sonelan, I am not in game right now, alas.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    You will need a new key from the website.

The client will work fine if it is updated.

Sonelan, I am not in game right now, alas.

Boo. I looked for whoever earlier in the guild and they weren't there :(

Also quick question. Do i need to go to a pugilist guild or a mining guild to train stuff? I haven't seen either here.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    It's a beta 2 weeks from release. Aka a stress test. Things won't be changed much.

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Things I don't understand that annoy me - Why is the chat box so godawful ugly? Why do I not have the option to just reply to someone, instead of HAVING TO TYPE THEIR WHOLE GODDAMN NAME TO HAVE A CONVERSATION? A problem which is compounded by the fact that there's a character limit of approximately one medium length sentence, so if I have anything substantial to say it's almost not even worth the effort.

That's not even getting into the lag (stress test related), the crashes (NOT stress test related), the software mouse (WTF?), and other general UI clunkiness.

This does not look like a game that's ready to be launched this month. It looks like a game in the early stages of beta testing.

Grundlestiltskin on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    "Treasures of the Main" says to go to some place called Bearded Rock, outside of the Zephyr Gate. The map has neither on it. Any suggestions? South sends me to a EQ Bazaar ripoff, north doesn't go anywhere.

KiTA on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hah! Just got wrecked in the coliseum.

Anywho, if anyone logs on near Ul'dah and can hook me up with a pearl send a tell to Daemon Sadiablo. Thanks

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    Death Cab For AlbieDeath Cab For Albie Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    KiTA wrote: »
    "Treasures of the Main" says to go to some place called Bearded Rock, outside of the Zephyr Gate. The map has neither on it. Any suggestions? South sends me to a EQ Bazaar ripoff, north doesn't go anywhere.

It took me a bit to find it, just keep looking on your map til you find the way out of the city and it's right there.

Death Cab For Albie on
    ...we made it cool to wear medallions and say hotep...
  • Options
    Death Cab For AlbieDeath Cab For Albie Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Things I don't understand that annoy me - Why is the chat box so godawful ugly? Why do I not have the option to just reply to someone, instead of HAVING TO TYPE THEIR WHOLE GODDAMN NAME TO HAVE A CONVERSATION? A problem which is compounded by the fact that there's a character limit of approximately one medium length sentence, so if I have anything substantial to say it's almost not even worth the effort.

That's not even getting into the lag (stress test related), the crashes (NOT stress test related), the software mouse (WTF?), and other general UI clunkiness.

This does not look like a game that's ready to be launched this month. It looks like a game in the early stages of beta testing.

I agree with all of this, which sucks, because I love the atmosphere and music of this game, why can't they just make it more playable :(

Death Cab For Albie on
    ...we made it cool to wear medallions and say hotep...
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    State of the Industry, duders. Every company is doing it.

Might as well try to push back the tide.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    KiTA wrote: »

It took me a bit to find it, just keep looking on your map til you find the way out of the city and it's right there.

I figured it out. There are some ramps going downward.

This stupid city is just like Kelethin in Everquest, without the bonus of seeing a bunch of idiot Legolazzz fuckwits going sailing through the trees like summer doves... with anvils attached to their feet.

So I got a guildeve, which is great, except... couldn't figure out how to start it. The obvious answer -- using (not clicking, not using the d-pad to find and use, etc -- that would make too much goddamned sense) the big "send me to an instance" crystal didn't do it. Finally found it in my Journal, but not in my main journal, hidden in a secret secondary journal which wasn't mentioned anywhere.

Then the game crashed.

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Screw this emote dance quest thing. They all do the same damn emote.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    So guildleves are a neat idea, but apparently they have a 48 hour cooldown. That's a little extreme.

a puddle on
  • Options
    VampireCactusVampireCactus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sonelan wrote: »

I know, right?? I just came here to post about how annoying this is. What the hell am I supposed to do? And the emote list lags like hell so it takes forever to get through it every time I want to try a new one.

VampireCactus on
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Is there any way at all to disable the software based mouse?

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    The first one is beckon. No idea what the rest are. You'd think joy would show them our joy but no it doesn't.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    VampireCactusVampireCactus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The first one is beckon. No idea what the rest are. You'd think joy would show them our joy but no it doesn't.

Yeah, that's as far as I got before I ragequit.

On a semi-related note, is my perceived "input lag" because my computer is shitty, or because the servers are shitty? I like the atmosphere and story of this game (I'm actually paying attention to the story! No MMO has gotten me to do that before), but if I can't get it to run better on my computer, it won't be worth it.

VampireCactus on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Yeah, that's as far as I got before I ragequit.

On a semi-related note, is my perceived "input lag" because my computer is shitty, or because the servers are shitty? I like the atmosphere and story of this game (I'm actually paying attention to the story! No MMO has gotten me to do that before), but if I can't get it to run better on my computer, it won't be worth it.

I guessed two others but if this is what I can expect from the game I am pretty sure I won't like it come release. I am jesus they don't even do the emote so I basically have to go down the entire list to find whichever obscure one it is.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Do this:

Manic Miner: Furious > Laugh > Soothe

Maddened Miner: Beckon > Deny > Upset

Edit: My personal belief is that as a lalafell I should have simply been able to pacify them with repeated uses of panic.

Double edit: this applies to the Ul'dah quest, which I thought was being discussed for some reason.

a puddle on
  • Options
    SparserLogicSparserLogic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hey, how do I get it into non-windowed mode?

I'd kind of like a real resolution on this. I'm not seeing any config files in the main directory. Help!

SparserLogic on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=16430953&postcount=2383

Aistan on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Well, hit level 2 goldsmith, thanks to the guileve. How do I get more of those?

KiTA on
  • Options
    CripTonicCripTonic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    SkyCaptain wrote: »
    Is there any way at all to disable the software based mouse?
    Use a controller if you can.

Controller v. mouse+keyboard makes a night and day levels of difference. I don't absolutely hate navigating the UI anymore because the controller in my hands feeling gives it that "this is limited" dynamic instead of the "why the fuck is this so horribly designed" feeling... which isn't necessarily a good thing, but I digress.

I'm getting the sense that they don't really want to turn on the feedback option for beta due to the insane amount of extremely negative feedback they're going to receive from people who will never buy the game. It seems this has pretty much already turned into a 2-camp demographic and SE only feels like listening to their players who will buy their game despite it's flaws, opposed to those who won't because of them.

Either way, the game is significantly better using a controller so I'll probably be playing it for the next few days to see what else there is to do. I'm kind of surprised that SE doesn't advertise this aspect in any way given the stark difference. My only major complaint is I wish your confirm button would default to targeting NPCs first, then players, but that's just a minor annoyance at worst (and something they might actually change.)

CripTonic on
    0liDg.png
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    State of the Industry, duders. Every company is doing it.

Might as well try to push back the tide.

Honestly, my "for reals" opinion is, that the problems with FFXIV are more symptomatic of Japan's failure to keep up with game development in the West, rather than endemic of all MMORPG releases.

There is a laundry list of fundamental problems with this game and the software that even an extra 3 or 6 months of polish probably would not buff away, due to what I can only describe as "Japanese Obstinance".

You would probably be shocked to see how very, very, little the game has actually changed as apparent to us testers since Alpha 1.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I'll keep trying, myself, but this is... bad. Really, really bad. And I enjoy and got used to FF11's UI.

Going to try logging out and lowering the graphics... if I can.

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    And the emote list lags like hell so it takes forever to get through it every time I want to try a new one.

You can type emotes in the chat line now.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    CripTonicCripTonic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    And the emote list lags like hell so it takes forever to get through it every time I want to try a new one.

You can type emotes in the chat line now.

how? /em ____?

CripTonic on
    0liDg.png
This discussion has been closed.