As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Firefall] Borderlands, Halo, Tribes, and Starship Troopers Had a Baby

SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
edited March 2012 in Games and Technology
firefall.jpg
Red 5 Studios is made from former Blizzard employees, and this is their first game.

Premise:
Earth will never be the same. After the Crystite Wars, humanity inadvertently invited the worst enemy ever conceived: THE MELDING. It surrounds us. It forces us to live in pockets of land protected only by the accidental discovery of repulsor technology. We continue to fight for land. For technology. For power. For our very survival. JOIN THE FIGHT.

Gameplay:
Firefall is a team-based action shooter combining deep character progression with an open-world cooperative campaign that can be shared with hundreds of other players. Firefall will also have a rich competitive multiplayer component incorporating built-in features such as clan support, ladders, tournaments and stats.

Gameplay Trailer - 3/8/2011

Look like anything? Yeah, it's Borderlands. With jump packs. And armour (dammit Borderlands...). And funky combat moves. And more multiplayer game modes. And an art style that's a bit less awesome, but you can't have everything.

More information is available from their official forums. Registering there automatically registers you for possible entry into the closed beta.

And finally, the payment model:
How much will Firefall cost to play?

We are so excited about Firefall that we want to make sure everyone can play it and join their friends in the game. When Firefall releases, it will be available online for download and play for absolutely free.

How do you plan to make money?

We plan to offer a marketplace for Firefall that will offer players items to enhance their gaming experience. We are adamantly against selling anything that might compromise the skill-based aspect of the game.

Suriko on

• Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I want a wicky-whacker.

Or do I?

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Free to download and play? Sounds like a decent price.

reVerse on
  • Options
    TalkcTalkc Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So its Tribes Meets Borderlands.

Im sold.

Talkc on
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My computer isn't going to be able to play this.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    Well, this came out of nowhere and aimed straight for my pants.

I just hope it won't compromise the shooting part with lag.

Echo on
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This looks great. Really, feels like a co-op Silent Cartographer writ large. And with deployables! I love deployables.

But goddamn, cinematics lady, wear some clothes

edit: I mean seriously you see buttock at several points, that is not appropriate combat attire

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    BurnsBurns Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That gameplay looks awesome. I love it when a company has a decently developed product running for demonstration when announced instead of pre-rendered CGI. And I really can't argue with free unless PvP comes into play and having to purchase items is a requirement to be competitive.

Burns on
    I only posted here for the blue dot.
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This looks great. Really, feels like a co-op Silent Cartographer writ large. And with deployables! I love deployables.

But goddamn, cinematics lady, wear some clothes

edit: I mean seriously you see buttock at several points, that is not appropriate combat attire

I may have to rewatch this cinematic
    :winky:
    but in all seriousness this looks awesome. and made by former blizzard devs? itll be just like hellgate london all over agai.... nevermind.. but it still might be good! and succeed! shit if its free I'll buy items just to support the cause

valiance on
  • Options
    LeoniusLeonius Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    ...free? There is no way I won't waste at least an hour of my life on this. I just hope the real-life cash-money stuff doesn't make me feel like I have to invest money in it to have fun.

Leonius on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Anyone else register on the forum and not get an email for a bit?

And too bad this wasn't out this year.

And reading the forum sticky answers my Q: They're having issues.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Anyone else think that the terrain and world look a whole lot like WoW?

Tynnan on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    But with guns.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    LeoniusLeonius Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Tynnan wrote: »
    Anyone else think that the terrain and world look a whole lot like WoW?

Yes the terrain seems very similarly done to WoW...though I've spend years playing that game so it won't really slow me down any.

Leonius on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So it's Starcraft/Borderlands/Tabula Rasa/Tribes/Going Rogue's Resistance Costume Pieces mixed into a freaky gestalt?

Uh, okay. I guess It could be cool. For free, I suppose the cost of finding out is fair...

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm sold on this after watching the gameplay video. A surprisingly large amount of cool info is oozing out of PAX.

Igpx407 on
  • Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This. This game is what I want.

Ein on
  • Options
    local flavor policelocal flavor police Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    jumppacks make everything better

local flavor police on
    Steam: LocalFlavorPolice
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    free borderlands?

gimme

if you sign up for the beta can you download and play or have they not released yet

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    free? yes please

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    free borderlands?

gimme

if you sign up for the beta can you download and play or have they not released yet

No beta yet

Tynnan on
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hrm, I'd like to see what the PvP looks like.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This is relevant to my interests.

simulacrum on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Fuck, if it's free then I'm going to try it for sure because it looks pretty fun. Worth a few hours of my time at any rate.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wow. That looks like some crazy fun.

I wonder what kind of stuffs they will be selling for the game?

Drake on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Jesus H

And it's free?

Who the fuck are these people

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    whoever they are

they are incredibly nice

undeinPirat on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    or incredibly crafty

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    or incredibly crafty

This is what's tempering my excitement for this game.

Instead unbridled, frothing demand, I'm thinking they gotta be selling something other than pimp canes to make this work, right?

Who am I kidding? If it's half as fun as it looks, I'm totally on board. I'm betting it's going to have something along the lines of Guild Wars. Character slots, unlock packs and pimp canes.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Drake wrote: »
    or incredibly crafty

Instead unbridled, frothing demand, I'm thinking they gotta be selling something other than pimp canes to make this work, right?

Who am I kidding? If it's half as fun as it looks, I'm totally on board. I'm betting it's going to have something along the lines of Guild Wars. Character slots, unlock packs and pimp canes.

that's what i was thinking

they said that they won't sell anything to infringe on the skill based part of the game, so that basically rules out armor, weapons, damage boosts, etc

but convenience is probably their market, in game bags, exp boosts maybe? stuff like that i'm guessing

we'll have to see

so i'm optimistically skeptical

undeinPirat on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Drake wrote: »
    or incredibly crafty

that's what i was thinking

they said that they won't sell anything to infringe on the skill based part of the game, so that basically rules out armor, weapons, damage boosts, etc

but convenience is probably their market, in game bags, exp boosts maybe? stuff like that i'm guessing

we'll have to see

so i'm optimistically skeptical

Oh man. Gold mine right there...

Tynnan on
  • Options
    Lord_MordjaLord_Mordja Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I think it should be mentioned that the lead designer was also the lead on Tribes and Tribes 2.

This game was made for me! [/amigara]

Lord_Mordja on
  • Options
    Death Cab For AlbieDeath Cab For Albie Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    When they say free...i'm assuming they mean 'no monthly payments' and not 'no initial purchase price' ?

Death Cab For Albie on
    ...we made it cool to wear medallions and say hotep...
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    When they say free...i'm assuming they mean 'no monthly payments' and not 'no initial purchase price' ?

I don't know, man

The words "absolutely free" don't leave much room for debate

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Lord_MordjaLord_Mordja Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Noooo, it means they're going with a microtransactions model. Supposedly nothing to unbalance the game (mostly cosmetic I guess), but we'll have to wait and see.

Lord_Mordja on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Noooo, it means they're going with a microtransactions model. Supposedly nothing to unbalance the game (mostly cosmetic I guess), but we'll have to wait and see.

I fail to see how they can make money doing that....

Death Cab For Albie on
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

They'll just sell
    hats

I could def see them selling map packs / campaigns.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    edited September 2010

They'll just sell
    hats

I could def see them selling map packs / campaigns.

Yea, oh well, I guess I don't care either way. I'm sure they have business types smarter than me who have worked/are working out the details. The game looks phenomenal though, they deserve my monies.

Death Cab For Albie on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    I paid 12 Eurodollars a month for WoW for nearly five years. If this is fun I won't mind tossing 5-10 bucks a month in their direction.

Echo on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That trailer looks like it was geared towards 12 year old boys.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    looks cool, i'm a tribes junky so i am pretty excited for this

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST