As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

So, What do ya think?

KarbaccaKarbacca Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in Artist's Corner
So I didn't know about the "no site promoting" thing (sorry), so here is a new post (maybe the other one can go BOOM somehow?) to see what yall think of my work and what not.

Star Wars Characters:

scaled.php?tn=1&server=339&filename=zachfreemoonfinallines.jpg&xsize=100&ysize=100 scaled.php?tn=1&server=405&filename=sithinquisitorrenaultmi.jpg&xsize=100&ysize=100 scaled.php?tn=1&server=822&filename=urnflats.jpg&xsize=100&ysize=100 scaled.php?tn=1&server=842&filename=karbaccafinal.jpg&xsize=100&ysize=100 scaled.php?tn=1&server=823&filename=kellimooradfinal.jpg&xsize=100&ysize=100 scaled.php?tn=1&server=801&filename=darthvaltrixfinal.jpg&xsize=100&ysize=100

World of Warcraft:

scaled.php?tn=1&server=821&filename=bellanara.jpg&xsize=100&ysize=100 scaled.php?tn=1&server=823&filename=pandarenfemalecolor2.jpg&xsize=100&ysize=100 scaled.php?tn=1&server=825&filename=zagisaloombfinal.jpg&xsize=100&ysize=100 scaled.php?tn=1&server=843&filename=claumnlines.jpg&xsize=100&ysize=100

Vector Posters:

scaled.php?tn=1&server=829&filename=heartfelt.jpg&xsize=100&ysize=100 scaled.php?tn=1&server=826&filename=nightsabre.jpg&xsize=100&ysize=100 scaled.php?tn=1&server=821&filename=patience.jpg&xsize=100&ysize=100 scaled.php?tn=1&server=834&filename=warrior2.jpg&xsize=100&ysize=100 scaled.php?tn=1&server=827&filename=catsmeow2.jpg&xsize=100&ysize=100 scaled.php?tn=1&server=214&filename=bobatat.jpg&xsize=100&ysize=100 scaled.php?tn=1&server=833&filename=rustyzombie.jpg&xsize=100&ysize=100

Animal Portraits:

scaled.php?tn=1&server=412&filename=brutussmall.jpg&xsize=100&ysize=100

bannerqsl.jpg
Karbacca on

• squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think the vector posters are light years ahead of the figures, and that I'd like to see a bigger version of that dog.

The SW and WoW characters have really nice, clean, decisive linework for the most part, but your coloring and grasp of lighting needs work. For example: the troll mage in the mooncloth? A light source like the fireballs in her hands should never darken a surface it's falling on, but it is in several spots in this drawing.

I really dig the nouveau-looking Boba Fett helm.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • KarbaccaKarbacca Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I admit, coloring is defiantly my weakest part when it comes to characters. I enjoy interesting poses and nice line work the best (If anyone ever wants to color my line work, I have no problem with that). The dog image should be fixed by now (I did an edit) and thank you very much about the vector pieces, there what I enjoy doing the most.

Karbacca on
    bannerqsl.jpg
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Everything looks nice and clean, you clearly have an excellent grasp of using vectors in your work. I didn't click on all of your thumbnails because well, its a pain, but heres a few crits if you like!

Dog pic: Pretty good. Could definitely use a bump in the contrast department. It seems like you've done the rendering with all mid tones because there needs to be an added black element to make it really pop. Also I can't tell if the dog is supposed to have a long snout or not, but it looks like it has a flat pug face.

Fire Wow girl: Proportion wise not bad, but like most of your stuff, it's reading really flat. Don't use the thick outline thing because for something like this, it detracts from the piece. You seem like a design guy, which is cool, but your character concept art is suffering a bit for it. They seem a bit stiff and lifeless, next time get looser and sketch out some more thumbnails of dynamic poses.

Also, like you said the colors are not good. They're not bad, just by the numbers, which is not good. Blue skin, green hair, white dress, orange fire, pretty predictable stuff, and needs to be injected with some spontaneity. Colors are crazy and do crazy things when light sources are present, so the first step to coloring good is to get crazy. At least that way even if its unsuccessful, it will be different! For example if I had blue skin and orange fire hands the resulting color on the highlighted area could be lime green or anything really, not just the same color of the fire. It just looks like she has cheeto fingers the way it was rendered.

Boba: This piece is wicked cool and sharp, but it also appears extremely flat. I think it is mostly because the designs on the helmet are just sitting there within the boundaries of the lines, and not actually wrapping around the shapes that the lines represent.

earthwormadam on
    edited August 2010
    I do admit, I am more of a designer. Colors are something I am working on more and more. The dog pic ended up looking a bit off on the internet but when I had it printed it was darker and looked a ton better.

Karbacca on
    bannerqsl.jpg
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Looking nice so far. my only beef was with one of the swars characters. YOu seem to have an overall good understanding of weight/pose and proportions, but there are little faults like this
    16gmwbm.jpg

nothing major, but watch the direction of the shoulders and hip. that little detail of anatomy always messes with me. the easiest way is to just lightly draw in a horizon line just so you always remember what angle youre drawing the figure from

winter_combat_knight on
  • FletcherFletcher Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Looking nice so far. my only beef was with one of the swars characters. YOu seem to have an overall good understanding of weight/pose and proportions, but there are little faults like this
    16gmwbm.jpg

nothing major, but watch the direction of the shoulders and hip. that little detail of anatomy always messes with me. the easiest way is to just lightly draw in a horizon line just so you always remember what angle youre drawing the figure from

I can kind of see a few problems with perspective (particularly between the shoulder line and the top of the chestpiece), but I honestly have no idea where you goot the idea that the hips follow that line you drew

That red line doesn't seem to follow the hipline of the character he has drawn, it starts well below the belt and ends up well above it on the other side; I think you're seeing some perspective issues that aren't necessarily there. I think there are some issues with perspective, but I think you may be exaggerating or inventing some with that drawover WCK

Karbacca, personally I think your vector designs look WAY more polished (as squidbunny said); I think the main thing that is keeping me from finding your regular linework as appealing is the lack of line width variation

Two thing I reckon you could work on with your linework:

- Vary the linewidth within your drawings; drawing everything at the same width can make it very uninteresting; if there is no variation, then the eye isn't drawn to anything.

- Remove the thick outlines from the silhouettes of the characters! They look weird and completely unnatural; the detail and nuance in your art may as well not be there if the main thing that stands out is a thick, cartoonish outline around your figures!

Fletcher on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The human body is such a fluid object, the hips will rarely be on the same follow the same line as the shoulders. In fact if it did the figure would suffer from rigidity issues. The only real perspective problem I see on that one is with the breast plate.

Mustang on
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Don't forget about backgrounds! Your characters don't exist in a vacuum. They need a place to live. The background helps set the mood for the piece, gives you insight to the character and where they're from/what they're doing. Check out Syd Mead's work. Even if his concept drawing is for a car or something, he'll often draw the environment as well, to help flesh out the designs and concepts.

Welcome to the AC! :)

NibCrom on
    edited August 2010
    So I found these Influence Maps up on Deviant Art and thought it would be fun to do. I suggest everyone do one, they were quite fun. ( I wrapped it in a spoiler because its kinda big. )
    Influence_Map_by_Karbacca.jpg

Karbacca on
    bannerqsl.jpg
    edited August 2010
    That thing is getting around. I did one, though I went all out and filled all 30 squares with just artists.
    influencemapcopy.jpg

Mustang on
    edited August 2010
    Just wanted to share with you guys what I made today. I used that face I made for the Zombie Walk poster and made something else with it. It seemed a waste to just use it for that one thing. Let me know what yall think.

Zombie_Rusty_by_Karbacca.jpg

Karbacca on
    bannerqsl.jpg
  • GankGank Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The faces are nice n clean, i always struggle with facial proportions, and the designs are pretty cool. Also, on your influence grid thingy i think you've got Cheungs art with McNivens name over the top, fyi.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
    edited August 2010
    Oops, I grabbed the wrong "Massive collection of marvel heroes" image, should be fixed now.

Karbacca on
    bannerqsl.jpg
  • SeiphonSeiphon Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hey Karbacca, I know you! Another refuge from the Swtor boards? :winky:

Seiphon on
    edited August 2010
    Oh hey! Been a bit since I posted on those boards.

Karbacca on
    bannerqsl.jpg
    edited August 2010
    So I was up quite late last night and had this idea for a web comic, I was thinking of calling it "Usual Geeks" and this character Athina was the first one I drew, I think she will end up being the main character. Let me know what yall think.

ugathinasmall.jpg

Karbacca on
    bannerqsl.jpg
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Usual Geeks sounds like an incredibly cliche and yawnworthy webcomic title. There are a million comics like this already, do you really want to be geeky character comic 1,000,001? Why not blaze a trail into uncharted comic territory?

I like the sketch though, even though she has impossible hips, shes got character.

earthwormadam on
  • SeiphonSeiphon Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Usual Geeks sounds like an incredibly cliche and yawnworthy webcomic title. There are a million comics like this already, do you really want to be geeky character comic 1,000,001? Why not blaze a trail into uncharted comic territory?

I like the sketch though, even though she has impossible hips, shes got character.

people ,generally speaking, write about what they know.

And if all they know is geekery, part-timing in a soul destroying job or going to uni/college/school, it would be very hard to write about something that has NOT been done before.

But I would avoid anything with "Geek" in the title.

Seiphon on
  • melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That design is fun, but I agree with Adam. There are too many Geek comics out there. If you're really into pursuing it, I'd suggest trying to find some sort of quirk or uniqueness you can add to yours to make it really stand out. If it's just a few characters that make jokes and talk about gaming all day, it'll be another webcomic that just gets lost in the crowd.

melting_doll on
  • shovelkid001shovelkid001 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That design is fun, but I agree with Adam. There are too many Geek comics out there. If you're really into pursuing it, I'd suggest trying to find some sort of quirk or uniqueness you can add to yours to make it really stand out. If it's just a few characters that make jokes and talk about gaming all day, it'll be another webcomic that just gets lost in the crowd.

I agree. The out and out "geek webcomic" niche has been filled; over filled. It has been done before and done very well so even if you can do better it will be very difficult to break into the scene and get noticed.

shovelkid001 on
    edited September 2010
    So I have been working on a new coloring style, more texture based with the shadows and highlights. Let me know what yall think. Also, this is a goblin I plan to make when Cataclysm finally comes out.

bessia_portrait___color___by_karbacca-d2xzy3w.jpg

Karbacca on
    bannerqsl.jpg
  • BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    D: the color scheme is awful. also, her breasts are just very wrong, I suggest looking at some references. Part of the breast problem is probably also where you chose to cut off the figure.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • diamond1diamond1 Registered User new member
    edited September 2010
    Mustang wrote: »
    That thing is getting around. I did one, though I went all out and filled all 30 squares with just artists.
    influencemapcopy.jpg

This face impressed me so much I think!

diamond1 on
  • bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    why the detail on the nipple dude?

why did you think of that though.

why would you think of that.

*User Bwanie has signed off*

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I wouldn’t call the colour scheme ‘aweful’. It needs work though. I can definitely see some inspiration from artists like Akira Toriyama.
    The background texture isn’t working at all. drop it.

Heres a adjustment in photoshop. i filtered out some green and added blue in the colour balance option in photoshop. Are you viewing it on a laptop screen or something?
    i dont know what others think, but i think it solves a few probs
    2wdwmco.jpg

fix up that boobie too :)

winter_combat_knight on
    edited September 2010
    It looks like a transvestite gremlin who went overboard on the boob job.

If that's what you were aiming for;
    bush-mission-accomplished.jpg

But I would flesh out the rest of the figure, cutting it off at the massive breasts over-emphasizes the massive breasts. And lose the epic nipple, it's fuggin creepy. The colouring isn't awful if you're aiming for that over-saturated WoW look.

Mustang on
    edited September 2010
    Mustang wrote: »
    It looks like a transvestite gremlin who went overboard on the boob job.

If that's what you were aiming for;
    bush-mission-accomplished.jpg

But I would flesh out the rest of the figure, cutting it off at the massive breasts over-emphasizes the massive breasts. And lose the epic nipple, it's fuggin creepy. The colouring isn't awful if you're aiming for that over-saturated WoW look.

Well it is a goblin from Warcraft.

Karbacca on
    bannerqsl.jpg