As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dragon Age 2 anti-hype thread [PLEASE POST IN NEW THREAD]

• LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    KiTA wrote: »
    So going to re-restart this after not having touched it in a very long while.

Got all the DLC except Awakening, might grab that real quick. Does it add anything if I'm only doing Origins for the time being?

Not sure what to take. I was Dwarf Noble Warrior with Sword and Board. But Alistar was a tank, too, so...

I think my Warden had more focus on the crowd control stuff in the shield trees, but not sure. Might redo it with the same origin.

If I go mage -- my friend suggested mage, with a focus on healing, as one of the easier paths through the game -- would going Elf Mage play any different than Human Mage?

Also: With these standalone campaigns (Darkspawn Chronicles and the like), should I do those before playing Origins for the rewards?

As an elf mage, I believe your willpower or magic stat starts off a little higher.

Every once in a while you get to mention that you are an elf, or someone will bring it up, but otherwise it seems to be the same as a human mage.

Lux on
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Dox the PI wrote: »
    Becoming wrote: »
    I'm on the verge of delving in for the first time!

Do any of you gentleman have any recommendations on class, must-have mods, etc?

Do you want the game to be Easy? go Mage

Do you want the game to be hard? go anything else

... Why?

KiTA on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Do you want the game to be slightly less easy, but still pretty damn easy? go anything else

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Okay, WTF.

The Dragon Age Bundle sale is shut down. Why? All of the other 50% off Child's Play deals they advertised are still 50% off. But not the fucking Dragon Age Bundle that I was just getting set to purchase.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • ToefooToefoo Los Angeles, CARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

Do you want the game to be hard? go anything else

... Why?

Ridiculous CC, ridiculous DPS, plus heals. Crushing Prison, Paralyze, and Force Field make this game retardedly easy...just cast Crushing Prison on the most dangerous mob, and watch him get taken to about 5% hp while being stunned the whole time.

Toefoo on
    PSN: Soultics
    Weaboo List
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Don't forget Mana Clash.

Aistan on
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

Any class is viable. Note that mages are easier, and blood mages are basically easy mode.

As far as mods go:
    Dragon Age Redesigned - Changes a lot of the NPC faces to look fantastic and very fitting. Lots of options too.
    Human female, Dwarf female, and Elf female proportion fixes - Makes the female models much less strange, changes armour to match, and isn't a nude mod.
    Character Respecialization 1.6 - Allows you to change your skills and such through the game.
    Item Icons - Exactly what it says on the tin; differentiates item's icons in your inventory instead of only having generic item type icons.
    Helm Removal - Makes characters remove their helmets after battle and requip during battle.

Suriko on
  • ToefooToefoo Los Angeles, CARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Aistan wrote: »
    Don't forget Mana Clash.

Oh yes, this too.

Toefoo on
    PSN: Soultics
    Weaboo List
  • RanadielRanadiel Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So this is my second day playing Dragon Age on my PC and wow, let me just say that you really haven't played this game until you've played it on the PC.

Graphics and game play improvements aside, the sheer amount of mods to this game is staggering. I'm really now just starting to get into the game, having just set out to Lothering. I've spent all my time figuring out how to mod the game using the various installers, setting up and configuring them, etc. Each time I start to play the game, I end up browsing dragonagenexus.com and end up finding some other neat thing that I want to use. Some people even went so far as to make Ser Gilmore a fully voiced, fully capable(in every sense of the word) party member! Haven't gotten around to setting him up yet though.

It really is like playing Dragon Age for the first time.

Ranadiel on
    edited September 2010
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I gotta be honest, the modding scene for Dragon Age hasn't inspired much but indifference from me thus far.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You don't need the helmit remove mod for conversations anymore. The game takes it off for talking and wears it everywhere else.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    How else are we going to reintroduce bikini armor and ramp up the sex scenes?

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Man, the "Grim Reaper" achievement is insanely hard. It doesn't help that the harvester
    has two forms.

Invisible on
    edited September 2010
    Fuck, the last part of storming the palace district in the Darkspawn DLC.
    2 Golems, 3 special dwarves, and oh yeah, a player character? Fuck you, game.

KiTA on
    edited September 2010

Kite them away if possible. They are rough for sure.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    I gotta be honest, the modding scene for Dragon Age hasn't inspired much but indifference from me thus far.

The respec mod alone made the PC version streets ahead

Also, anyone at PAX who has any impressions to post?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2010

Finished it. Didn't get the Ogre Keeper objective, but I think I got what I needed to get the bonus item in Origins. Wonder if I should do the Song one next.

KiTA on
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Huh, apparently Warriors are restricted to S&B or 2-H weapons in DA 2 while Dualweilding and Archery is solely for Rogues. Not really sure how I feel about it but hopefully this means that the skill trees are far more in depth than they were in DA:O.

Silpheed on
    edited September 2010
    What? Why? Dammit.

I liked wacking a shield onto my rogue every now and again for a little extra defense, or giving a warrior a bow when i wanted everyone to keep at range. :(

Suriko on
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Finished it. Didn't get the Ogre Keeper objective, but I think I got what I needed to get the bonus item in Origins. Wonder if I should do the Song one next.

The Ogre Keeper achievement is bugged. It just randomly decides if you deserve it or not, despite whether or not you've earned it.

Invisible on
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Suriko wrote: »
    Enjoy not having mods for Dragon Age 2, then. :(

No toolset no sale. I'm sure they don't care about anyone with that opinion since it'll be tiny compared to everyone who doesn't care or more likely wont even realize it until they start asking "Where are the mods to add nude ch...uh, bigger axes?", but hopefully someone from BioWare reads this thread and secretly works on one if it's decided it's officially dead. :P

Xeddicus on
    edited September 2010
    All they've said about the toolset is:

1) It wouldn't be released the same day the game was (really, the only reason the DA:O toolset was released the same day as the game was because of the game release's delay)

and

2) It's unlikely there'd be a full, DA2 only toolset and rather an update to the DA:O toolset to make it compatible with DA2.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited September 2010
    Last I heard it was confirmed to be out.

Oh well, all the better.

Suriko on
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If I recall correctly they said maybe there would be an update. And if it's not day 1 we get to play the waiting game. An update is fine, long as there's a toolset. The game was so much better with one even within weeks of release.

Xeddicus on
  • RanadielRanadiel Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So for the PC crowd, is there a way to edit your character's facial appearance even after you've started your game? Some mod I'm not finding, perhaps?

Would really appreciate any help, thanks!

Ranadiel on
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ranadiel wrote: »
    So for the PC crowd, is there a way to edit your character's facial appearance even after you've started your game? Some mod I'm not finding, perhaps?

Would really appreciate any help, thanks!
    Yo.

You can also do it with the DA toolset (instructions at the link above), which you can download from the Bioware social site after you register your copy of the game there.

Monger on
    edited September 2010
    Finished Leliana's Song. I'm officially in love with her voice. Just sayin'.

So if I was going to go Dwarf Noble Warrior again... what are some good character builds? I start with a point in shields, so sword and board is probably my best bet. What's a good build if I'm also going to take Alistair? Should I make Alistair the tank and my MC some sorta DPS Sword and Board, or should I aim for the MC to be tanky and try and get Alistair to do the DPS thing?

Does that one skill point I start with in sword and board matter -- i.e., would dual wield or two handed be better?

KiTA on
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

So if I was going to go Dwarf Noble Warrior again... what are some good character builds? I start with a point in shields, so sword and board is probably my best bet. What's a good build if I'm also going to take Alistair? Should I make Alistair the tank and my MC some sorta DPS Sword and Board, or should I aim for the MC to be tanky and try and get Alistair to do the DPS thing?

Does that one skill point I start with in sword and board matter -- i.e., would dual wield or two handed be better?

The point doesn't matter, and if you want to take Alistair and don't have the respec ability, go two-handed.

Oghulk on
  • FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You don't need the helmit remove mod for conversations anymore. The game takes it off for talking and wears it everywhere else.

Great, now I need a mod to change that. I like being a talking helmet.

Fats on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I like how the eyes look through the helmet.

Couscous on
    edited September 2010
    Oghulk wrote: »

The point doesn't matter, and if you want to take Alistair and don't have the respec ability, go two-handed.

Huh. Two handed? Whyfor?

I was thinking about going Berserker and/or Reaver as my specialization -- the others didn't really appeal much at first glance, even if I was taking a tank build.

KiTA on
    edited September 2010
    Reaver is pretty bad, really. I'd go Champion. And dual wield.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Transdimensional WhaleTransdimensional Whale Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Invisible wrote: »
    Man, the "Grim Reaper" achievement is insanely hard. It doesn't help that the harvester
    has two forms.
    The second half feels more like clean up to me after killing the body. I just wish your healer wasn't terrible.

Transdimensional Whale on
    edited September 2010
    The Harvester

is fucking bullshit.

That is all.

Edit: Been fighting him for 2 hours on Hard, with no luck. Warden is a pure healer mage, started at 20. I'm doing the kite method, can get him close but no cigar. Might go back, restart, and give the Warden archery or go with an Arcane Warrior thing.

KiTA on
    edited September 2010
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Reaver is pretty bad, really. I'd go Champion. And dual wield.

The first two ranks of reaver are ok. But the rest is pretty bad, yeah :(

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

• dsplaisteddsplaisted Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I played Dragon Age II at PAX today.

First they sat us down and talked about the game, and then we got to play it for about 20 minutes. They talked about three areas they were working on improving from the first game: The graphics, the combat, and the story.

They said the game would look better on a PC and much better on consoles than the first one did. The characters did look nice, probably better than in DA1, but I wasn't impressed by everything else (graphics-wise). The environment looked kind of bland, and the enemies didn't look great to me either. Also (and I was playing on the PS3), there were lots of times when the game froze for a bit (while loading, presumably). The freezing issue will probably be gone by release, but I doubt most people will think the graphics are much better than DA1.

With the new combat, what they are aiming for is "everytime you press a button, something cool happens" (immediately). I played as a rogue, and it looks like the rogue will be a lot more acrobatic this time around. Hawke was doing backflips, kicks, and moving quickly to attack enemies. I don't know if positioning behind enemies and backstabbing will come into play in this one. I certainly wasn't doing it but that was because the battles were pretty chaotic with a lot of different enemies and I was basically just button mashing since I'm not very good at the console controls and I didn't know what the different abilities really did. I think the action will look cool though.

In regards to the story, they said that with the framed narrative and ten-year timespan of the game, you would be able to see the outcome of your choices much sooner in the game than in DA1 where often you would make a choice and only see the effect of it in the epilogues. Of course we didn't see any of that in the demo. We did see the dialog wheel, which I liked, but if you've played Mass Effect and didn't want the dialog wheel in DA2, I doubt playing the demo they gave would change your mind. The icons which showed the tone of what you were going to say were nice.

I chose the female version of Hawke because I wanted to see what she looked like. I liked her look, although I lack the ability to describe how someone looks besides saying she had dark hair.

I was already very much looking forward to DA2, so seeing it at PAX didn't really change that.

dsplaisted on
    2850-1.png
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So on the dialog wheel did they just show some short snippet that vaguely resembled what the character would say or did they show the full line?

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hmm...thanks for the impression. I hope they put up some videos soonish.

Dragkonias on
  • deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The Harvester

is fucking bullshit.

That is all.

Edit: Been fighting him for 2 hours on Hard, with no luck. Warden is a pure healer mage, started at 20. I'm doing the kite method, can get him close but no cigar. Might go back, restart, and give the Warden archery or go with an Arcane Warrior thing.

1- Use the bronto. I'm not kidding, he helped me out a lot I feel.
    2- Keep that switch off during first phase. If everybody lives through the first fight, you have a better chance at t making it.
    3- Golemgolemgoelmgolem.
    4- ?????
    5- Profit!

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]