As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MMA X: Captain Guillotine: Fear the man who has practiced one choke 10,000 times

• SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Aw man, that sucks about Belcher.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    815165 wrote: »
    I'm not sure how many PPV buys Frankie being on the card was actually responsible for, though.

Well he is Lightweight champion, at some point you need to promote your champions so your titles mean something. Right now they promote Brock incredibly hard, Silva is a big name (though he has a hard time pulling PPV numbers on his own), GSP is a big name they promote hard (Especially since he is coaching TUF), Shogun would probably be promoted hard if he wasn't injured. I just don't see them pushing Edgar as champion.

I'm pretty sure they wanted Penn to win the title back so they would have a more marketable name to promote as lightweight champion. However at some point they are going to have to start promoting Edgar as a legit champion.

I wish we were able to see how much Edgar made for UFC 112, but since it wasn't in the US it wasn't disclosed.

Man, you have to make the fans want to see you. The average fan doesn't find Edgar exciting. I'm sure he has some new ones after his last fight, but he's not a big draw. You get paid what you're worth. James Toney (like him or hate him) put asses in seats. GSP puts asses in seats because he is exciting, and he is Canada's national treasure. Anderson is extremely exciting. Brock brought over a ton of wrestling fans (probably) and is a great heel. I'd be willing to bet that MMA fans in general are, on average, more upset over fighter pay than the fighters themselves are.

EDIT: I pretty much agree with everything Yves Lavigne said in that little blurb re: Kos/GSP.

BJ and Edgar are both fighting under contracts that are old more than likely, like x fights for y dollars. He'll get 100k+ a fight once he re-ups, but right now they have him contracted. Brock, BJ, GSP, Rampage, Forrest, now Sonnen I guess, BJ, are all big names and have been for a while. They are paid accordingly.

Agreed on all counts. I heard/read somewhere that the Edgar/Penn 2 was the last fight on Edgar's contract, too. So he may very well be negotiating new terms as we speak.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    He's going to defect to Strikeforce! Damn the UFC for betting on the results of their own fights.

815165 on
  • ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Another small piece of MMA news from last night:

Joe Warren defeated Joe Soto for the Bellator Featherweight title by strikes in the 2nd round. It was only his 7th pro MMA bout.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    [Tycho?] wrote: »
    Anderson is extremely exciting.

This is news to me. I loved him when he was fighting Leben and Franklin, but it was all downhill from there. Except the Griffin fight I guess, but that was a strange fight anyway.

What about the James Irvin fight? That was one of the coolest finishes ever

The Travis Lutter fight was also good, and had a nasty finish

...and the Nate Marquardt fight

...and the Dan Henderson fight

And like you mentioned, the Forrest Griffin and Franklin beatdowns are legendary by now. And I think he's the only one who's put such a beating on Leben as well

(also his last fight was great)

Thales Leites and Demian Maia fights were horrible (though I loved the first 3 rounds of the Demian fight :lol:)

So, 2 fights out of 27 were boring. Therefor Anderson Silva is a boring fighter?

Sir, I disagre with you

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • WibodWibod Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Another small piece of MMA news from last night:

Joe Warren defeated Joe Soto for the Bellator Featherweight title by strikes in the 2nd round. It was only his 7th pro MMA bout.

Watch this fight, it is seriously awesome.

Wibod on
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wow, Genki speaks english very well. I'm a bit surprised. I also hate watching Christiane "MAN FACE CYBORG" Santos beat the shit out of women. Call me sexist, I don't give a shit. It's goddamn uncomfortable.

Not wanting to see women get beat on might not be sexist, but the "MAN FACE CYBORG" bit is a little unnecessary IMO

She kind of has a man face. I don't know where you're going with this. She has a face, and it resembles a man's face.

I'd still fuck her. Of course she'd probably fuck me back with her clitonis.

GungHo on
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    GungHo wrote: »
    Wow, Genki speaks english very well. I'm a bit surprised. I also hate watching Christiane "MAN FACE CYBORG" Santos beat the shit out of women. Call me sexist, I don't give a shit. It's goddamn uncomfortable.

Not wanting to see women get beat on might not be sexist, but the "MAN FACE CYBORG" bit is a little unnecessary IMO

She kind of has a man face. I don't know where you're going with this. She has a face, and it resembles a man's face.

D:

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
    edited September 2010

D:

:winky:

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

D:

D:

adytum on
  • Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    adytum wrote: »

D:

D:

O_o

Metal Jared on
    BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    If she had an orgasm while you were going down on her, she'd probably flatten your head with her thighs.

JustinSane07 on
  • doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Pfft, I can never dream of having sex with Cyborg. The love making would make the beating she gave to Jan Finney look merciful.

At least I think she'll have the courtesy to give a reach around.

doug_grammar on
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Do we really have to do the "Cyborg is a man" thing here?

Yougottawanna on
    edited September 2010
    Do we really have to do the "Cyborg is a man" thing here?

*looks up*

...it looks like it, yeah.

ChillyWilly on
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Neli wrote: »

This is news to me. I loved him when he was fighting Leben and Franklin, but it was all downhill from there. Except the Griffin fight I guess, but that was a strange fight anyway.

And like you mentioned, the Forrest Griffin and Franklin beatdowns are legendary by now. And I think he's the only one who's put such a beating on Leben as well

Thales Leites and Demian Maia fights were horrible (though I loved the first 3 rounds of the Demian fight :lol:)

So, 2 fights out of 27 were boring. Therefor Anderson Silva is a boring fighter?

Sir, I disagre with you

What Anderson has, that Frankie is nowhere near, is a long-term establishment at the top of P4P lists. People will watch him because he's arguably THE best fighter in the world. Frankie is not, and therefore needs some other draw to bring in PPV buys. And it's got to be something more than out-jabbing BJ for 10 rounds.

I agree that not all of Anderson's fights have been boring - though several of his most recent ones have been - but he's not at the level of "exciting fighter" where he could sell based solely on it, absent his elite status.

BubbaT on
  • [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Neli wrote: »

Sir, I disagre with you

Dont' forget Cote.

He used to be exciting for sure. Before his UFC days as well. But with the exception of Forrest, he certainly hasn't been lately.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
    edited September 2010
    The criticism of the Cote fight was a bit unfair, he isn't exactly easy to knock out and the injury was just weird. It just sucked having that fight right before Leites trying to lay and pray his way to victory, but forgetting both of you need to be on the ground for that to work.

815165 on
    edited September 2010
    GSP or Koscheck? We know who Referee Yves Lavigne chooses.
    UFC referee, and French-Canadian, Yves Lavigne recently had some choice words for Josh Koscheck, the next opponent for Montreal's own Georges St. Pierre.
    À son dernier combat, au Centre Bell justement, il a eu peur de se faire frapper et s’est contenté de tenir son adversaire (le Britannique Paul Daley) au sol, a expliqué l’officiel québécois. Les partisans l’avaient hué et Daley, frustré de son attitude dans le combat, l’avait même frappé après le duel!
    Translated, that states that in Josh's last fight at the Bell Center, Josh was afraid to strike and was happy to hold Daley on the ground. The crowd booed and Daley, upset at the strategy, punched him after the bell. Now, there are some fans that have that same attitude. They are idiots. However, they aren't refs. This guy is. It's almost certain that he will be reffing on this card and there's a big chance he will be reffing this main. Oops, not anymore.

Oh he's not done.

Good news, everyone! There is more!

Kos responds:
    "UFC referee, Yves Lavigne is clearly not suited to be a referee after his rant of personal attacks and opinions on me as a fighter. It’s supposed to be his job to look at a fight unbiased, but how can anyone trust this guy to fairly referee any fight ever again after his comments? It's scary to think this guy has been calling fights in the octagon for this long. It's very fair to say Mr. Lavigne will never ref one of my fights again. I would never put all my hard work as a fighter or my livelihood in the hands of this ref.

The (UFC) and the commission would be irresponsible to let him continue his job- any call this guy makes would have to be questioned. You call MMA a professional sport? Well, professional starts at the top. Never would an NFL, NBA or other major sports official state there personal opinions publicly about a player and keep their job. I now question every call Yves has ever made as a referee. Hopefully no fighter ever has to step into a fight with Yves Lavigne as referee. Better get that resume ready Lavigne….."

And Yves re-responds!

1- I NEVER gave an interview to that journalist
    2- I NEVER gave an interview regarding GSP vs Koscheck
    3- My lawyer is taking care of this matter.

Yves Lavigne
    Ah, the Chael Sonnen defence.

815165 on
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    LOL, did Yves at least say the actual interview was done by "some Puerto Rican guy" like Chael did.

Also, RE Koschek talking about NBA refs - Joey Crawford is still an active NBA ref, and still refs Spurs games, even though he hates Tim Duncan. I agree a personal bias is unprofessional, but the idea that Yves is some lone exception amidst a bunch of unbiased robo-refs couldn't be further from reality.

BubbaT on
  • WibodWibod Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Canoe.ca pulled the Lavigne interview btw guys, so he could very well be telling the truth. Also the Canoe.ca is part of the Sun line of newspapers and is trashy.

Wibod on
    edited September 2010
    If you don't find the daily MMA news entertaining... just pretend the anchorman is Cro Cop. Ahem...

DAILY MMA NEWS 9/3/10

Micheal 'The Count' Bisping - Ambassador of UK MMA?
    "To be honest, you've got to have thick skin in this business - you put yourself in the public eye and you're going to get negative comments" admits Bisping.

[...]

"To see if from some of the UK guys pisses me off. I've been a proud ambassador of UK MMA, I've worked hard and I've helped grow the sport to where it is. I haven't disappeared off to America, like some Mohican wearing people and lived there and trained there, but then come back here and pretend I'm English.

MirrorTKO World Exclusive: Michael Bisping is ready for Akiyama at UFC 120; talks Sonnen, UK fans and Hollyoaks - TKO - Mirror.co.uk's MMA Blog

Another Boxing Legend could come into MMA - Manny Pacquiao!

During a recent press conference, BoxingScene.com's Bill Emes and Michael Marley cornered Manny Pacquiao on the subject of Mixed Martial Arts. Pacquiao said he watched MMA and UFC, but said it was "too brutal" when asked for his thoughts on the sport.

When asked if he would ever consider trying his hand at Mixed Martial Arts, Pacquiao replied to BoxingScene - "I want to, but they [promters and management] don't want me to fight."

He said if promoter Bob Arum of Top Rank and adviser Michael Koncz said it was okay, he would consider entering the cage. Michael Koncz cut in at that point and told Pacquiao - "you know that you could do what you want."

It's hard to tell if Pacquiao was serious or just joking around.

KJ Noons Calls Diaz a Pot Smoking, Trash Talking Chump
    "I'm super excited about the opportunity, and I think it's a great thing for me. To be in the Strikeforce main event on Showtime, to be in line to be a two-time, two-division world champion, and getting to beat Nick again in the process... I couldn't ask for a better fight. I already got one up on Nick. I beat the crap out of the guy. He's had a good run, and there's a lot of build-up for this rematch. We've both improved, this is a different weight class now, he's gotten better, I've gotten better, it's a different situation. But at the end of the day, I'm a true mixed martial artist, I have respect for the sport, and I am a good role model... Nick's good for entertainment, but I come from a family of fighters. I started early, and I have respect for martial arts. It teaches you discipline, how to become a good person, and I feel that I am. On October 9, I'm fighting a guy that, if I had a kid, I wouldn't want him looking up to. He's a trash-talking, pot-smoking chump. It's motivation for sure [to be fighting near Diaz's hometown]. I love being the underdog. Even when I'm not, I still try to picture myself as the underdog so I train harder and push myself. Nick says he's bringing his guys, but so am I. They're going to need to beef up security. This is beyond a grudge match. I'm going to light him up like a Christmas tree. He's going to have to kill me to [to beat me]. It's very personal."

Minotauro charges towards the direction of the Croatian! Nogueria in support of Cro-Cop!
    -- Antonio "Rodrigo" Nogueira, who has been undergoing therapy to recover from recent hip surgery that prevented him from fighting Frank Mir in the UFC 119 main event in Indianapolis, Indiana, is pulling for his replacement, Mirko Cro Cop, to do his dirty work later this month."Minotauro" and Mir were opposing coaches on The Ultimate Fighter mixed martial arts reality series, which culminated with the pair battling for Nogueira's interim heavyweight title. Mir won, convincingly, stopping the durable Brazilian for the first time ever in his professional career. Nogueira has history with Cro Cop, too, winning with a come-from-behind submission after getting battered for nearly 10 full minutes. He's apparently more impressed with the way the reserved Croatian handles his pre- and post-fight business as opposed to the opinionated Mir. Is Mir's arrogance, for lack of a better word, something that makes not just "Big Nog" the only one who wants to see Mir get put in his place ... again?

He's still coming to get ya, princess. James "Lights Out" Toney not done with the Cage.
    James Toney is set to defend his IBA heavyweight title on Nov. 5 in New Orleans, but he's not done with MMA.

Toney made that decision in the locker room of Boston's TD Garden moments after UFC Hall of Famer Randy Couture tapped him out with an arm-triangle choke three minutes into his first real taste of the sport at UFC 118.

"They might have won the battle, but the war ain't over yet," recalled John "Pops" Arthur, Toney's trainer of 12 years, of the boxing champion's words after the fight.

Of course, a lot of MMA fans breathed a sigh of relief.

Nows a good time to know your statistics. FightMetric - Offical Statistics Providers for UFC
    FightMetric® is now the official statistics provider of the Ultimate Fighting Championship® (UFC®), supplying the world's first comprehensive mixed martial arts (MMA) statistics and analysis system to the largest MMA organization in the world. The inclusion of official FightMetric data into the evaluation of both fights and fighters will, for the first time ever, provide media members and fans with a chance to track the history and performance of UFC competitors beyond simple wins and losses.

The FightMetric system utilizes a precise and scientific methodology to analyze MMA bouts across 67 statistical categories, encompassing all strikes, takedowns, submissions, and position changes. In addition to raw statistics, FightMetric is at the vanguard of advanced MMA analytics, creating a proprietary algorithm to produce an overall Effectiveness Score and pioneering the use of other metrics to foster greater understanding of how MMA bouts are fought.

MTV's Chanel Wants To Be An Octagon Girl
    News about EA MMA demo coming out next week: Gameplay Footage of Diaz v.s Aoki
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdXCz00BPIs&feature=player_embedded#at=136

Mark Hunt looking like a new man and now training at American Top Team

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIIB0FKL_Cg&feature=player_embedded#!

doug_grammar on
    edited September 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdXCz00BPIs

Button mashing to do the subs. :(

edit: I really like how the EA game is managing distance, though, seems way better than just standing inside range swinging like in the UFC one

edit2: oh shits it's different controls for different subs? cool

edit3: aww Aoki should always flip someone off after he subs them :(

815165 on
    edited September 2010
    Goodbye, thumbs. I hardly knew ye.

doug_grammar on
  • ForumiteForumite Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    Hunt looks great

Forumite on
    33tp6w6.gif
    edited September 2010
    re that EA gameplay footage:

The camera flashes are really annoying.

Looks pretty good. I really like how when Aoki was on his back and moved to an armbar, Diaz was able to shrug it off before it got to the submission escape stage. If they're smart and want a detailed/realistic BJJ system, they could use these shrug-outs to set up more stuff. So when Diaz moves away from the armbar, Aoki could go for a triangle or something.

The ground system as a whole looks pretty decent, at least as far as movement and submissions go. The animations looked great, there were lots of little subtle movements that (it seems to me) the THQ game is lacking. The RNC system was interesting looking for the "zone" or something like that. Better than just mashing buttons.

The striking looked pretty limited though, even with a great boxer like Diaz in there. I saw almost no combos, no advanced movement or dodging.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • ForumiteForumite Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    Shark Fights knows how to promote
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRy0XAf4qUM

I love Bas

Forumite on
    33tp6w6.gif
    edited September 2010
    Forumite wrote: »

I love Bas

Kinda cool to see a B level fighter like Jardine headlining a card as soon as he gets cut by the UFC. Glad to see he's landing on his feet a bit, he's still a good fighter.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That commercial is something special.

adytum on
  • Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Forumite wrote: »

I love Bas

Bas really is the man, I assume he's doing commentary for the fights? He's always entertaining, good luck to the promotion

Metal Jared on
    BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
    edited September 2010
    Bas Rutten is an international treasure.

ChillyWilly on
    edited September 2010
    JAWS would've been more frightening if Bas Rutten was the shark.

BREAKING NEWS 9/4/10

Vitor Belfort Wants To Box Against James Toney
    Via his twitter:
    Dana let me fight James Tony on 6 round boxe Mach I think I can catch him with my speed

&

Dana will be the 1 boxing match in Ufc I promise he will fell my power and we will show the world the a Ufc fighter can do better

doug_grammar on
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    vitor is at the doorstep of a title match and he's talking like this?
    man really?

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Stop being an idiot, Victor Gracie.

(.. I just wanted to make that reference.)

But really, dumb.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Had to go to walmart to get some clothes for a new job.

In their, like, casual clothing section, i saw an atrocity.

This wasnt the sporting goods/active wear section

This was jeans and tshirts

they had a rack of board shorts
    actual board shorts, MMA elite I think was the brand

And rash guards.

This is aparrently fashion now?

And people make fun of me for wearing a baseball uniform. Losers.

CangoFett on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    vitor is at the doorstep of a title match and he's talking like this?
    man really?

Randy got

1 - 250.000 dollars to fight Fat Toney (who looked horrible)

2 - Randy got a lot of attention and probably made a bunch of money on the side

Why wouldn't Vitor want the same thing?

's all about the money man

istockphoto_5753547-brazilian-money-background.jpg

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This may be sacrilege, but I would be vaguely interested to know who would win in a Belfort-Toney boxing match. Obviously Toney in his prime wins in a walk, but what about now?

Not interested enough for Belfort to put off a title shot though.

Yougottawanna on
    edited September 2010
    I'd rather see Belfort vs Anderson, but Toney would sure as hell be intriguing.

815165 on
    edited September 2010
    This may be sacrilege, but I would be vaguely interested to know who would win in a Belfort-Toney boxing match. Obviously Toney in his prime wins in a walk, but what about now?

Not interested enough for Belfort to put off a title shot though.

Hard to say. I'm inclined to think Belfort, but really this is just because I just saw Toney (being totally out of shape and clearly un-trained) lose so badly. In a pure boxing match though? I don't know. I don't know how good Toney actually is, nor where Belfort's skills stand. Vitor is a lot younger and in clearly better shape, that would give him a big advantage that could nullify any disparity in skill.

I also would rather see him get a title shot. But hey, at least he'd be fighting someone.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    if silva knew how make himself money, this is where he would take a page out of sonnen's book and make fun of vitor about how he's ducking the awesomest puncher ever to fight a washed up puncher or maybe he saw the sonnen fight and is afraid of the ground so he's going to boxing instead, or a combination of the two
    also, discovery needs to hire bas to narrate shark week, it'd also make any future crazed gunmen think twice about coming in

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!