As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

(Doodle) All Night Long (NSFW)

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Just use a small, hard round brush (airbrush tool, as opposed to pencil tool).

NightDragon on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I usually use just a black solid round at about 2-3px with size and opacity set to pressure sensitivity.

rts on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Would that Bargue book be good for someone who's significantly less experienced than WCK?

I'm kind of fed up that I haven't made any art progress with my creative work in the past year, all I do right now is graphic design.

I want to do some studies to start building up my core skills, but I'm not sure if Bargue would be too advanced for me.

I wish I had some good traditional media pieces to show you, but I don't have much that's recent. Here's the last digital piece I worked on (around April or so):

brother.jpg

and here's a piece that's about a year old, but I suppose one of my better traditional media drawings:

pencils1.jpg

Brolo on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Rolo wrote: »
    Would that Bargue book be good for someone who's significantly less experienced than WCK?

As I understand it, in many Ateliers Bargue plates are used by first year students, but they are usually working under the guidance of experience instructors.

You could probably do one and it would probably teach you a lot, but you might have to recalibrate your expectations and make sure you understand what kind of self-discipline and time doing a proper Bargue study involves if you've never worked that meticulously before. (Lots of both)

Scosglen on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    moth1.jpg
    moths.

Iruka on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, as Scos said the only thing particularly advanced about doing Bargue studies is the mindset. One of two things will happen if you try to do one. You will either do a great job and really develop the patience necessary to learn to draw well, or you will be a lazy fuck and do a shit job but call it quits because you don't feel like working on it anymore.

Really, it's almost as much to teach you about your own drive to learn to be a proficient artist as it is about developing observational skills.

rts on
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    From ref:
    smokesinhat.jpg

NotYou on
  • Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Rolo, i think some of the basic drawing / anatomy books mentioned in the OP for the Questions thread would serve you better than a long study. i'f you try to copy a study afterwards, you'll find that you have a better understanding of what you're copying and that will make it more of a learning experience.

i'm going back to the basics right now (drawing-wise) and i find that stuff you learn there pops up everywhere in what you're drawing. Creative or copying.

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    So quick question for people who use photoshop, if anyone is, for sketches. Is there a decent pencil-like brush to use? If I use the default pencil, it doesn't give me any pressure options with my tablet, and is just a consistent width black line. I can't find any brushes that are similar to a pencil though.

I use a small round with a barely feathered edge, and set the color to dark grey instead of black.

I really enjoy sketching in dark grey more than I do in black, I'm not sure why.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Loving the colour palette Iruka!

Been working on loads of long/intense pencil studies lately, so decided to do a oil study to break things up a little. My mobile takes shitty photos so soz for the bad quality

skull-painting.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    So quick question for people who use photoshop, if anyone is, for sketches. Is there a decent pencil-like brush to use? If I use the default pencil, it doesn't give me any pressure options with my tablet, and is just a consistent width black line. I can't find any brushes that are similar to a pencil though.

use a brush, not a pencil

regular hard round brush, spacing at 4%, opacity set to tablet pressure, and flow turned down to 50%

or get SketchbookPro

Tam on
  • Options
    sharky tsharky t LondonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    cardiacunrestcerberus.jpg

This is a design i drew up last night. I came up with the name cardiac unrest a while ago after i drew that little heart thingy and i've been using it as a kind of placeholder for band names or clothing brands in my t-shirt designs.

sharky t on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Loving the colour palette Iruka!

Been working on loads of long/intense pencil studies lately, so decided to do a oil study to break things up a little. My mobile takes shitty photos so soz for the bad quality

skull-painting.jpg

The teeth and mandible are a little problematic I think, too bright and slightly malformed, respectively.

That said, I think this is probably the most successful oil painting I've ever seen you do. I encourage you to keep doing studies with a restricted palette.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    what scos said

honestly id like to see you do some stuff without any color or shading at all, so you can focus on the structure of it

gjwyh.png

somethin noo

e: laptop screen why have you betrayed me ahhhhh the colors didnt look like that before ;.;

mensch-o-matic on
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    @ Tam: I think you need some more saturated colors in your sword-lady drawing, it is looking a bit too grey. The neck looks like it is held too far back as well. Buttstorm and Mr. Robot looks great though. In fact, buttstorm is excellent. It is a buttstorm afterall.

@ Rolo: in your first one the man seems to have a very shallow cranium, it should be deeper, extend farther past the ears. I think I would expect to see some intense highlights on the lower part of his robe too; just a touch along the edges

@ Iruka: those are some goddamn pretty moths. Are they really that brightly colored?

Hmm, anywho, personal conundrum in regards to a color pallet:

QW4RV.png

On the one hand, it is much better than the original pallet I'd created. On the other, I am iffy on the saturation levels. That red blob you see was a blend-test; I've applied and blended the base, light source, and shadow colors. The red is obviously quite saturated; the yellow light source is less saturated than the red (and of lower value obviously) but is of a higher saturation than the shadow color. The shadow color is both darker in value and lower in saturation than the red and yellow light source. What I am unsure about is the colors between the red, yellow, and shadow color. The color between the red and yellow is looking too desaturated, and the color between the red and shadow color is also looking too desaturated.

I think this one is better but I am not sure

DXhSq.png

I can provide the HSV/RGB codes if that helps.

Also; damn I love warm lighting :9

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    @ Tam: I think you need some more saturated colors in your sword-lady drawing, it is looking a bit too grey. The neck looks like it is held too far back as well. Buttstorm and Mr. Robot looks great though. In fact, buttstorm is excellent. It is a buttstorm afterall.

muse are you doing a joke

Tam on
  • Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Tam wrote: »

muse are you doing a joke

yeah tam, jeez. you better shape up.

PROX on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    it's been a long day
    I've been playing a lot of Seiken Densetsu 3

Tam on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Muse, whats the color scheme for? I feel like pallets like this are kinda limiting if you are just sort of painting, I prefer color picking in the moment. I played with it a bit and made a sorta scale. Everything I do is pretty saturated though, so its more of an opinion. Just as a note, I wouldn't let PS think for you when it comes to color blending. If you are picking two colors that should come together and make a nice, deep purple, go ahead and dick around with the color pallet and try and find it.
    musepallet.jpg

on the moths, the Spiney Oak Moth is way more brown and the Warm Chevroned Moth is also alittle more dull, but I punched up the colors for fun.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    it's been a long day
    I've been playing a lot of Seiken Densetsu 3

I love me some Seiken Densetsu 3

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I can't put the controller down for more than a minute
    It's supremely fun and gorgeous

Tam on
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The color scheme is going to be for something super-nerdy, a Spiderman costume will be involved. I really do like using purple for shading red (personally, a red item's shadows seem to typically have blue tones), but went with the brown for the example's shadow because blue in general seems to have brown tones in its shadows. At least, it looks that way to me. So I uh, mixed the 'matching' colors, so smart -_-.

Also, gosh your pallet looks so much more organized than mine. I wasn't sure how to go about constructing it aside from being a mock-up with enough room for me to scribble notes on; yours is so much nicer and organized. I hope you don't mind but I am right-click/saving that so I can better create pallets in the future.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    No problem, Glad it helped in some way, even if it wasn't what you were looking for. Generally I'd just suggest getting the colors in some sort of spectrum, because you want to see all the colors working together pleasantly. But its certainly not the only way.

Iruka on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    I dunno, I find it hard to comment on a color scheme divorced from any sort of context.

It's like passing a gear to someone across the dinner table and saying, "do you think this will work?". What they're going to say is, "Well, what's it for? What is its function? How is it supposed to work in conjunction with the rest of whatever it is it's supposed to go in?" Only with those questions answered, can a useful reply be made to the original question.

Same is true here- What's the mood you're going for? Is it interior or exterior? Natural light or artificial? What are the local colors at play versus the global lighting colors? Is it intended to be bold and cartoony, or more desaturated and realistic? How do you plan on using the colors in a compositional sense? Without knowing these things, it's difficult to say whether or not you're looking at a successful color scheme or not- it may be or may not be, because I don't have what I need to see if it's actually working or not.

What would be more useful- both to yourself and us trying to give feedback, is to rough out some quick color comps. No details, just throwing out ideas on what works the best for the intended mood, like this:
    rover_comps.jpg
    hades_comps.jpg
    For this and this, respectively.

The benefit to doing this is you get information that wouldn't be obvious if you took the colors purely by themselves. For example, on the last 4 comps, any one of those schemes could work, if all I wanted was to make a nice looking picture, but they all say different things.

The two on the right work as analogous colors, but the top one is too lit up to be properly creepy and the second one is too open and airy to be menacing as well. The one on the top right, taken just in terms of colors used, I like the best, because I generally dig the orange/blue complimentary color scheme, and kinda dug the sterile environs contrasted against the big blotch of color in the middle, but it didn't fit the "make it HELL!" direction I needed to shoot for. The last one is interesting because it's got colors that taken by themselves I would have been like, 'ew, gross', but it works because it is a little bit disturbing and disharmonious, and get the claustrophobic, disturbing mood across better than the others, so that's what I went with for the final. If I'd tried to predetermine what my colors would have been out of context, I'd never have gotten the colors to be what they needed to be to get that effect.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I could probably manage a color mockup tomorrow morning. The general idea is for the piece to resemble a comic book cover (an all too elaborate joke haha); the emphasis is on the character.

And gosh the forums are mighty buggy tonight. How odd.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Bacon - Just wondering, how long would you spend doing colour studies like those? They look really good.

Scos - thanks for the comment. I think it was more successful because i wasnt aiming for anything that was beyond my skills. I'll definately do some more of these over the weekend.

BTW my colour palette consisted of

Burnt Sienna
    Burnt Umber
    Ultramarine Blue
    Yellow Ochre
    White

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    LeggraphicsLeggraphics Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    was bored and stressed, needed to relax, what better thing to do than xbox and then draw lol..

Dont think ill finish it but just some anatomy/form practice
    girlnew.jpg

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I have approve of naked ladies

notlosingyet.jpg

wakkawa on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wakkawa, that is the most three dimensional looking thing I've seen you draw.

(I stalk you in the doodle thread)

The leg, the breast on her left, and the cloth are fantastic. Her right breast looks a little odd with the shadow at the top. I see that she's curling her toes but the three at the top are so tight that they look amputated :<

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    the face is the most realistic one I've seen you draw

Tam on
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    laying out a WIP
    EpHCy.png

Projeck on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    wakkawa is hoggin' all the talent! LETS GET 'IM!

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    jimminy cripes that's well done, Wakka

Brolo on
  • Options
    ObilexObilex Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I want to steal wakka's art BRAINSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

samssq.jpg

Obilex on
  • Options
    MaximasXXZMaximasXXZ Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    wakkawa wrote: »

tehhotwimminz.jpg

She reminds me of Katy Perry. But hotter.

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
    PSN: MaximasXXZ XBOX Live: SneakyMcSnipe
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    trying to come up with something for the dragon challenge

cl16u.jpg

Tam on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    i really like that, tam

jTeMV.png

all that's left is the hand and some background details, i guess

hrm

Projeck on
  • Options
    ParadiseParadise Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    MaximasXXZ wrote: »
    wakkawa wrote: »

notlosingyet.jpg

She reminds me of Katy Perry. But hotter.

Yes, I was thinking the exact same thing. Great job Wak.

Obilex wrote: »
    I want to steal wakka's art BRAINSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
    samssq.jpg

trying to come up with something for the dragon challenge
    cl16u.jpg

Projeck wrote: »
    i really like that, tam
    jTeMV.png
    all that's left is the hand and some background details, i guess
    hrm

Paradise on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    rPx0i.png

callin' this one

Projeck on
  • Options
    D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The lettering seems really disjointed and out of place. It's so clean compared to the painterly feel of the rest.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
This discussion has been closed.