As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dating people of the same race

picklemeisterpicklemeister Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
So I was reading the thread about ex-bf/gfs and it came up that some people didn't like to date people from the same race, because it seemed like they were getting with a family member. I thought this was interesting, mostly because I had assumed this was some phenom that only I was partook in. Anyways write your thoughts I am curious to see how many people share this feeling. In case you cared the person I see whenever I see someone of the same race is my sister. Yeah definitely never tapping that.

picklemeister on

• Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So I was reading the thread about ex-bf/gfs and it came up that some people didn't like to date people from the same race, because it seemed like they were getting with a family member. I thought this was interesting, mostly because I had assumed this was some phenom that only I was partook in. Anyways write your thoughts I am curious to see how many people share this feeling. In case you cared the person I see whenever I see someone of the same race is my sister. Yeah definitely never tapping that.

..What?

I've honestly never heard of this, ever. In fact, I've seen the exact opposite in my life experience. People tend to date within their race. It's changing, but slowly.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    MikeMan445 wrote: »

..What?

I've honestly never heard of this, ever. In fact, I've seen the exact opposite in my life experience. People tend to date within their race. It's changing, but slowly.

Actually I think miscegenation has declined in recent decades in comparison to the 60's and 70's. Can't remember where I read it, though, to link. Personally I don't have any feelings on the matter. Race doesn't define a person, their character does and that's what I'd look for in a relationship.

For a one night fling I might catch yellow fever, though.
    :winky:

moniker on
  • Options
    Prophetavius VProphetavius V __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    People tend to date within their race. It's changing, but slowly.

No it isn't.

Prophetavius V on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2007
    Yes it is.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited May 2007

No it isn't.

Wow. Stunning repartee.

We like people who look like us. This is widely documented through human behavioral study. The familiar is reassuring.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    PillsAreNicePillsAreNice Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    moniker wrote: »

..What?

Actually I think miscegenation has declined in recent decades in comparison to the 60's and 70's. Can't remember where I read it, though, to link. Personally I don't have any feelings on the matter. Race doesn't define a person, their character does and that's what I'd look for in a relationship.

For a one night fling I might catch yellow fever, though.
    :winky:

I have a theory that all men - even KKK guys - secretly have a desire to bang an asian chick some day.

PillsAreNice on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    See my game reviews at: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=strangegamer
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

No it isn't.

So you're saying that white people only date white people and black people only date black people?

That's obviously false.

James on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Yes it is.

Are you prepared to take that statement to the global scale?

Prophetavius V on
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Why would someone of the same race feel like a sister, considering you probably haven't met them before. Even if you grew up knowing them, it's quite a bit different.

I guess I don't have a lot of racial pride or something.

Jimothy on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Aroduc wrote: »

No it isn't.

Wow. Stunning repartee.

We like people who look like us. This is widely documented through human behavioral study. The familiar is reassuring.

And that which is different is... exotic. More exciting.

Something of a paradox there.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Yes it is.

Are you?

moniker on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited May 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

No it isn't.

Wow. Stunning repartee.

We like to 'visit' exotic places and fantasize about them, we don't like to live there.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Yes it is.

Are you?

Let's do it.

Prophetavius V on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

No it isn't.

Wow. Stunning repartee.

Yes and no. It's similiar to the post-victorian notion of guys wanting to get laid all the time, but marry a virgin. Date outside of your race and yatta yatta because it's all exotic, but don't bring them home to mom.

moniker on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited May 2007
    Yes it is.

Are you?

Let's do it.

Here, I'll save you the trouble.

The foremost component to dating is geographical proximity. Races tend to group themselves geographically. The US is pretty much about the most diverse place around, and you still see obvious racial congregation.

There, dots connected.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

No it isn't.

Wow. Stunning repartee.

We like to 'visit' exotic places and fantasize about them, we don't like to live there.

I lol'd

picklemeister on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    The foremost component to dating is geographical proximity. Races tend to group themselves geographically. The US is pretty much about the most diverse place around, and you still see obvious racial congregation.

Pretty much what I'm saying. I hope Jeffe reads it.

Prophetavius V on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

No it isn't.

Wow. Stunning repartee.

It's called safe sex.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

No it isn't.

Wow. Stunning repartee.

I recently read a study on speed dating. The over all conclusion was that women were more interested in dating men of their own race, whereas men were more open to the idea of a partner of a different race. Asian men also had the hardest time getting a partner.

PillsAreNice on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007

No it isn't.

Wow. Stunning repartee.

Interracial relationships are on the increase in U.S

Graham-Cooke-Golf-Drive.jpg

Next!

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Yes it is.

Are you?

Let's do it.

Very well. Anectdotally my ethnicity is primarily Italian, Polish, Danish, and (to a lesser extent) Croatian. With some sprinklings of other races tossed in there as well to fill out the pie.

moniker on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited May 2007

Isn't it the exact opposite of what you were... I'd say arguing... but you didn't actually make any points.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

You see racial congregation because people like the familiar. It doesn't mean that change isn't happening.

James on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

No it isn't.

Wow. Stunning repartee.

I recently read a study on speed dating. The over all conclusion was that women were more interested in dating men of their own race, whereas men were more open to the idea of a partner of a different race. Asian men also had the hardest time getting a partner.

I'd like to see that study.

Also, speed-dating =! dating trends as a whole.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I tend to date outside my race. It's not something I really think about. But it's not unusual for people to have a preference for their own race, especially amongst new immigrants.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Yes it is.

Are you?

Let's do it.

Very well. Anectdotally my ethnicity is primarily Italian, Polish, Danish, and (to a lesser extent) Croatian. With some sprinklings of other races tossed in there as well to fill out the pie.

Also, two of my friends recently got married. One is from the UAE, the other is from rural Manitoba.

But I guess they're not really really married, huh? Because change isn't happening.

James on
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ive always wondered, is not being attracted to a certain race due to the physical features that are common in that race, racist?

I know there are some races of people where I do not find the majority of the girls attractive. Some yes, but not most. And ive always wondered if thats a racist trait I have...is it? If so, what if I prefere blue eyed girls? A lot of groups of people dont have blue eyes.

I guess, theres a corrolation between what I find attractive, and the races I find it in....and I cant tell if thats wrong. I dont think it is, but a part of me thinks others might see it as being racist.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Disrupter wrote: »
    Ive always wondered, is not being attracted to a certain race due to the physical features that are common in that race, racist?

I know there are some races of people where I do not find the majority of the girls attractive. Some yes, but not most. And ive always wondered if thats a racist trait I have...is it? If so, what if I prefere blue eyed girls? A lot of groups of people dont have blue eyes.

I guess, theres a corrolation between what I find attractive, and the races I find it in....and I cant tell if thats wrong. I dont think it is, but a part of me thinks others might see it as being racist.

I think there's a difference between finding certain physical traits attractive, and thinking that you are superior to someone based on that physical appearance.

picklemeister on
  • Options
    KatholicKatholic Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I am white...I find white girls and asian girls attractive. Personal preference ftw.

Katholic on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

I was saying that the trends are changing. I would elaborate, but I think Shinto pretty much just obviated any need for argument on that point.

If you wish to alter your point to "But it isn't happening globally!" I will point out that liberalism in racial preferences is dependent upon a generally liberal outlook on freedoms and tolerances, which is only matured in select cultures, such as the US and most of Europe. But nations the world over are inching towards increased freedom and tolerance, and so a global increase in interracial relationships is pretty much inevitable.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    It's only "racist" if you assert that you do not find any people of a certain race attractive, period.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I don't think it is racist.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Shinto wrote: »

No it isn't.

Wow. Stunning repartee.

Interracial relationships are on the increase in U.S

Graham-Cooke-Golf-Drive.jpg

Next!

Huh, whatever it is I had read must have cherry picked their info.

Also, Tiger Woods would have been funnier.

moniker on
  • Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I can't really help dating outside of my race since I identify myself as multiracial (product of an interracial marriage). If I ever meet someone with my exact racial makeup I might think it was a little odd to date them.

bowtiedseal on
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    thats what I think, but its still a dangerous thing because people could take offense for stereotyping.

Im gunna go ahead and say it, and perhaps you guys can tell me if its offensive...

I promise I dont mean to be, its just a fact about myself and im trying to know if its an offensive thing I should keep to myself or not.

I dont find myself attracted to a lot of black girls because either im not attratcted to their hair, or their noses.

Its nothing beyond not finding it attractive. I also am not attracted to red hair or pointy faces. It just happens that the a lot of african americans share some features I dont like. Is that wrong?

Edit: Ugh, even reading it I really want to delete it because it just SEEMS offensive, even though I dont think it is. Actually articulating it into words and singling out a race like that...I dunno. If anyone wants me to remove it I can...

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007

No it isn't.

Wow. Stunning repartee.

I'd like to see that study.

Also, speed-dating =! dating trends as a whole.

You're absolutely right. A speed dating study is a poor way to study society as a whole, but it's still interesting data to look at.

Here's the original paper (PDF): http://faculty.chicagogsb.edu/emir.kamenica/documents/racialPreferences.pdf

"In fact, when we run the regressions separately for each race, we find that even Asian women find White, Black and Hispanic men to be more attractive than Asian men."

Jesus, that sucks.

PillsAreNice on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Disrupter wrote: »
    thats what I think, but its still a dangerous thing because people could take offense for stereotyping.

Im gunna go ahead and say it, and perhaps you guys can tell me if its offensive...

I promise I dont mean to be, its just a fact about myself and im trying to know if its an offensive thing I should keep to myself or not.

I dont find myself attracted to a lot of black girls because either im not attratcted to their hair, or their noses.

Its nothing beyond not finding it attractive. I also am not attracted to red hair or pointy faces. It just happens that the a lot of african americans share some features I dont like. Is that wrong?

No. It's not wrong.

In fact, a lot of times a Black white relationship is usually a Black man, with a White woman.

edit: In fact I will go as far as to say that I pretty much am attracted to any type of girl except black women.

Prophetavius V on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Well, I don't think there is anything to feel guilty about.

Our standards of attractiveness and beauty are in part socially determined though. Maybe in large part. There is a dark underside to these things. But really, they are only dark in terms of larger social implications, not individual preference.

Also, I find my use of the word dark in that section ironic.

Shinto on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Katholic wrote: »
    I am white...I find white girls and asian girls attractive. Personal preference ftw.

This is pretty common. Asian is the new white.
    Shinto wrote:
    I don't think it is racist.

I don't know if it's racist, but I wouldn't catagorize it as a good thing.

MrMister on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    It's only "racist" if you assert that you do not find any people of a certain race attractive, period.

Even then, I'd say it's not really racist. What if you only like women with really fair skin, for whatever reason? There goes the entirety of black people, and most other non-caucasian races. As long as you don't place value judgements upon these people above and beyond wanting to bang them, or whatever, you can't much help what you find hot.

ElJeffe on