As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kingdom Hearts - Re: Coded is out! Dream Drop Distance trailer is in!

MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Games and Technology
Oh hey there! You just found the thread for the newest game in the Kingdom Hearts series! Re: Coded!
Khrecodedbox.jpg

So Kingdom Hearts is this game where you play as this guy.
kh2sora_pic

But in Re: Coded you play as him when he was this guy!
Sora.jpg
Except not even because it's a digital version of him!

Ya see, Jiminy Cricket accompanied Sora, Donald and Goofy on their first journey to rid the world of the Heartless. But now all the data is corrupted and manifests itself int he form of "blox". These blox are bugs in the datascape of Jiminy's journal which is leaving cryptic messages where the logs of an adventure once were. So now with the help of Digi-Sora, King Mickey and the gang are out to solve the mystery of the anonymous journal riddles.

So now you travel through all your favorite digital Disney worlds and battle digital heartless to progress through the journal.
Shadow_Heartless_300.gif

And you use your digital Keyblade to slaughter everything in your digital path!
164890-185410-keyblade_large.jpg

It's pretty dope. So Re: Coded is the 6th game in the series chronologically but the 7th released in the US if you count the Chain of Memories port. So let's take a look at the series thus far!

Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep- PSP/2010
Kingdom Hearts- PS2/2002
Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories/Re: Chain of Memories- GBA/2004 PS2/2007
Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days DS/2009
Kingdom Hearts II- PS2/2006
Kingdom Hearts: Re: Coded- Mobile/2008(Japan only) DS/2011

And then we have the ones that are coming out!

Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance(3D) - 3DS/TBA A new trailer has just been released and it looks spicy!
[url=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HURIl1_njNA[/url]

Kingdom Hearts III- ???/??? We know nothing about this but we all want it NOW!! It's rumored to be in pre-production stages.

Looking good! So yeah let's have gay ol' time and talk about Kingdom Hearts!

Kay wrote:
Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
MarioG on

• GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'll be picking this up just to see how this whole glorious mess got started. Reviews so far have been very positive (IGN giving it 8.5, Gamestop 7.5), saying that the combat is the best in the series so far thanks to its extra variety, and the fact that Terra, Aqua, and Ventus all have their own full-length stories making it the beefiest KH game so far in terms of story and gameplay. I missed out on Days for the DS (mainly because it looked like the combat system wouldn't translate well to the system), but this looks far too good to pass up.

Apparently the ratio of original stuff (very few FF cameos in this one) to Disney stuff is much more in the former's favor than the latter, although the Disney worlds should be pretty fun to run around in. Actually giving more time to Snow White, Cinderella and Aurora (Sleeping Beauty) was something I was surprised they didn't do in KH2, and seeing more of Neverland beyond Captain Hook's ship sounds pretty cool. Also, Aqua: She's been getting a lot of fans because she's the most kick-ass female character in the series, and I'd like to see how that pans out.

Oh, and Leonard Nemoy and Mark Hammill being featured voices doesn't hurt, either.

Grimthwacker on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    What I want to know is if I really need to beat KH2 before playing this. Or 358/2.

I've beaten KH and Chain of Memories (GBA version) and that's it. I own KH2. I don't own the NDS one but I have been planning on getting it. I know this is a prequel, but are either of those necessary for this game? Or does it spoiler anything for KH2 or the NDS game?

If not I'll gladly pick it up. KH2 is on my "to do" list but it's not at the top yet.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Drez wrote: »
    What I want to know is if I really need to beat KH2 before playing this. Or 358/2.

I've beaten KH and Chain of Memories (GBA version) and that's it. I own KH2. I don't own the NDS one but I have been planning on getting it. I know this is a prequel, but are either of those necessary for this game? Or does it spoiler anything for KH2 or the NDS game?

If not I'll gladly pick it up. KH2 is on my "to do" list but it's not at the top yet.

This is a pure prequel, starting before any of the other games in the series, so I don't think knowledge of any other games beyond the original will be necessary - I highly doubt there'll be any Org. XIII stuff or anything post-Ansem here. The closest thing we'll be getting to Org. XIII is what the deal is with Ven and Roxas (since they're identical) and apparently some cameos by other members before things went crazy. Knowledge of the rest of the series should be nice for callbacks and foreshadowing purposes, but not essential I'd say.

Grimthwacker on
  • VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    literally pacing back and forth impatiently waiting for tomorrow

CANT WAIT

VALVEjunkie on
  • MattakuevanMattakuevan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Also, word from peeps who have the japanese version. Make sure you accelerate the CPU. The normal setting has the game chugging with some awful slowdown. However, the in game setting to accelerate makes it take about 25% more battery power in exchange for no slowdown, worth it imo.

Mattakuevan on
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Story should also be played in the order of Terra, Ventus, and then Aqua. Apparently Terra is so slow that once you play the others you won't want to play as him, and the story makes more sense in that order. I'm looking forward to this game. I'm really just considering it KH3.

Also is the multiplayer in this ad-hoc? Because if it is I want to play some monopoly online with other people over PS3. Or some really lame racing. Oh boy oh boy.

Gilder on
    edited September 2010
    Gilder wrote: »
    Story should also be played in the order of Terra, Ventus, and then Aqua. Apparently Terra is so slow that once you play the others you won't want to play as him, and the story makes more sense in that order. I'm looking forward to this game. I'm really just considering it KH3.

Also is the multiplayer in this ad-hoc? Because if it is I want to play some monopoly online with other people over PS3. Or some really lame racing. Oh boy oh boy.

On top of that, apparently Aqua is pretty much the only way to beat the special boss without supreme masochism, so leaving her for last is ideal for that as well.

Mattakuevan on
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Been able to give this a very short try before it comes out. The characters' styles seem rather different - Ventus is the most Sora-like, while Terra is slow but brutal and Aqua is more magic based. I went with Aqua's story, and while she tosses lightning like nobody's business, she doesn't do damage for crap with her Keyblade, in Proud at least. That said, the Land Mines spell + Aqua's huge Magic stat = :D

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Despite this being a prequel, you should have at least beat KH2 in order to fully understand the story. Then again, this games story is balls retarded so whatever.

You should also get used to playing as Aqua; you'll be playing most of the game as her.

Glenn565 on
    3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hmmmm

I just bought VC II

I do sort of want this game but VCII is already consuming my life

Also maybe I should beat 179 days

but...man it gets so fucking samey at the end, there

Rent on
    edited September 2010
    Oh yeah, can someone post the links to the boss fight song that's the same backwards and forwards? I'd look but I don't want to spoil myself on anything through related videos. It was really neat though.

Gilder on
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Drez wrote: »

This is a pure prequel, starting before any of the other games in the series, so I don't think knowledge of any other games beyond the original will be necessary - I highly doubt there'll be any Org. XIII stuff or anything post-Ansem here. The closest thing we'll be getting to Org. XIII is what the deal is with Ven and Roxas (since they're identical) and apparently some cameos by other members before things went crazy. Knowledge of the rest of the series should be nice for callbacks and foreshadowing purposes, but not essential I'd say.

It's probably best to beat KH2 and 358/2 before playing this due to BBS' special ending.

Owenashi on
    edited September 2010
    Gilder wrote: »
    Oh yeah, can someone post the links to the boss fight song that's the same backwards and forwards? I'd look but I don't want to spoil myself on anything through related videos. It was really neat though.

oh yeah, I remember listening to that a few months ago

but I dont want to spoil myself through related vids either :<

somebody who played the japanese version go find this song please!

VALVEjunkie on
  • Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    On the one hand, I know I shouldn't get this since Reach is released a week later and will consume me. On the other, I wanna smack dudes with oversized keys while shouting stuff about hearts and darkness.

Also it's worth noting that anyone with a Go is outta luck, since Square isn't releasing BBS as a digital download.

Mx. Quill on
  • MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Glenn565 wrote: »
    Despite this being a prequel, you should have at least beat KH2 in order to fully understand the story. Then again, this games story is balls retarded so whatever.

You should also get used to playing as Aqua; you'll be playing most of the game as her.

Kingdom Hearts is a huge mess of metaphorical and figurative entities. I do not understand what is happening.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:

• Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Makes more sense than FFXIII.

Mx. Quill on
    edited September 2010

Agreed, Nomura may be insane, but at least he writes a story that makes sense in his own head. Compare that to Kitase who doesn't care as long as it looks pretty.

Mattakuevan on
    edited September 2010

ffxiii made perfect sense

and was awesome

Rent on
    edited September 2010
    Rent wrote: »

ffxiii made perfect sense

and was awesome

I got to riiiiight before the good part and burned out, never to play it again.

it was most certainly not awesome.

VALVEjunkie on
    edited September 2010
    Nope, FFXIII is pretty much one of the best FFs ever

great gameplay, great story

just great, really

Rent on
    edited September 2010
    I'll give you that, it did have an amazing combat system with a thoroughly enjoyable story

but chapter ten was so horrendously bad that I shut off the ps3 in frustration.

boring, repetitive hallways filled with the same three enemies for an hour is not very great, let me tell you.

VALVEjunkie on
    edited September 2010
    oh

yes

you're right

chapter ten is fucking awful

but then chapter eleven happens and totally makes up for it!

Rent on
    edited September 2010
    I will have to get back to it some time!

VALVEjunkie on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I would be playing this game tomorrow if fucking Disney wasn't so anal about digital downloading. How badly did Sony fuck up the PSPgo anyway?

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    I would be playing this game tomorrow if fucking Disney wasn't so anal about digital downloading. How badly did Sony fuck up the PSPgo anyway?

It sold 600 units last month

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2010
    BigDes wrote: »

I don't know much about game system sales but I'm assuming that's completely terrible.

wirehead26 on
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I don't know much about game system sales but I'm assuming that's completely terrible.

Pretty much. To put it another way, the initial batch of PSPGo units for Japan was 150,000. They still haven't sold through.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2010
    Is it still $250 retail? That's a huge problem right there.

I bought it for half the price from a co-worker btw. And I still enjoy it for the most part.

wirehead26 on
    edited September 2010
    really bad, those sales

VALVEjunkie on
    edited September 2010
    The worst part is that Sony is airing Birth By Sleep commercials with gameplay being shown on the PSPGo.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:

edited September 2010
    MarioG wrote: »
    The worst part is that Sony is airing Birth By Sleep commercials with gameplay being shown on the PSPGo.

That and they have trailer videos you can download on PSPgo.

Seriously fuck Disney, Square-Enix, and Sony for this bullshit.

wirehead26 on
    edited September 2010
    Oh well, I prepared for this. I bought a PSP-2000 2-3 years ago when they announced this game and it is finally going to pay off!

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:

• Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    i am psyched. tomorrow will be filled with the death of many a being with no heart and or no body via the cruel and uncaring wrath of my key which has the power to destroy darkness itself

oh yes

Sangheili91 on
    edited September 2010
    Actually I think this game is more about killing Unverse than Heartless. I'm thinking it's kind of like KH2 where you kill lots of Heartless, but Nobodies were the big thing.

Gilder on
  • SpeedySwafSpeedySwaf Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I might have to get a regular PSP, because I got a Go as well. :(

Should I get the 2000 or 3000 model?

SpeedySwaf on
  • SpeedySwafSpeedySwaf Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

According to a person on GAF, Japan still hasn't gone through the first shipment.

SpeedySwaf on
    edited September 2010

don't get the 2000, screen sucks

Rent on
    edited September 2010
    Could I transfer all the stuff I've downloaded on the Go to a PSP-3000?

Edit: Son of a bitch, just called Gamestop and the PSPgo is only worth 50 bucks trade-in.

wirehead26 on
    edited September 2010
    Could I transfer all the stuff I've downloaded on the Go to a PSP-3000?

Edit: Son of a bitch, just called Gamestop and the PSPgo is only worth 50 bucks trade-in.

le gasp

VALVEjunkie on
    edited September 2010
    SpeedySwaf wrote: »
    I might have to get a regular PSP, because I got a Go as well. :(

Should I get the 2000 or 3000 model?

There's a Birth By Sleep bundle being released tomorrow for 200 dollars.

Mx. Quill on