As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Looking for a decent music playing device.

RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
Like the thread title suggests, I'm after a decent device to play my music. I don't really want to get an ipod because they are expensive as shit, and I just want to play music. What's decent on the market these days folks?

Rizzi on

• floobiefloobie Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Size? Storage capacity?

floobie on
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Don't care about size. And I only need 8Gb or so.

Rizzi on
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Fancy a screen to view song names on? Need playlists, shuffle, autorepeat? What do you store your music in on your computer - iTunes, WMP, etc.? If you intend to sync pretty often, you'll want something that can be synced reasonably easily.

There are tons and tons of unbranded mp3 players shipped from Hong Kong or Taiwan that will do the trick for a few dollars if you're willing to give up on a good screen, etc. And possibly supply your own SD card, but them's the breaks.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    What do you want to spend?

Esh on
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I have a Sony Walkman, was 80 bucks, it's 8 gigs, has a color screen and can even play video and FM radio.

I can heartily support the device.

I never really saw the point to owning an Ipod or Zune for anything other than a status symbol or something.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Uriel wrote: »
    I have a Sony Walkman, was 80 bucks, it's 8 gigs, has a color screen and can even play video and FM radio.

I never really saw the point to owning an Ipod or Zune for anything other than a status symbol or something.

the ipod touch does way more than just play music
    kind of why it's more expensive

the classic has way more than 8gb

the shuffle is 49$

the new nano idk about it seems kind of overpriced but i don't know much about it i guess

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I have a Sansa Sandisk.

I've beat the hell out of the thing and it won't die. I bought three of them during a wootoff expecting them to not last, but I'm still stuck with the first, and gave away the rest as gifts.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Uriel wrote: »

the ipod touch does way more than just play music
    kind of why it's more expensive

the classic has way more than 8gb

the shuffle is 49$

the new nano idk about it seems kind of overpriced but i don't know much about it i guess

Yeah the whole status symbol argument is a completely bullshit one.

Just buy the right device for your needs. For me that is an iPod because I already use iTunes, but I can understand why somebody might not want one.

For what it's worth though, the new Nano is absolutely gorgeous and works brilliantly.

ben0207 on
  • VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Malkor wrote: »
    I have a Sansa Sandisk.

I've beat the hell out of the thing and it won't die. I bought three of them during a wootoff expecting them to not last, but I'm still stuck with the first, and gave away the rest as gifts.

That thing can't die. I hear they're working on rockbox for it too, which would make it an amazing device.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Visti wrote: »
    I have a Sansa Sandisk.

That thing can't die. I hear they're working on rockbox for it too, which would make it an amazing device.

I'm running Rockbox. It's kind of buggy, but not at all unusable.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I have a Sansa Sandisk.
    I think you meant Sandisk Sansa. Sandisk is a company, Sansa is a line of products.

Anyway, I can't speak for the OP but I looked into them for a cheap replacement player last year (would've been willing to get a Zune HD, but LOLMicrosoft) and they didn't have any models that supported AAC out of the box. I just checked their website and the Fuze+ has AAC support, but do any of their players support Japanese filenames and tags?

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru