As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dual Monitor-Friendly Desks

AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
So my current desk, an $80 hacked together job from Staples is on it's last legs, and I'm in the market for a new desk soonish.

The trouble is, most you see on, say, Ikea.com or whatever typically only show enough room for a single monitor or it's a laptop, or an iMac or whathaveyou. Meanwhile, I'm looking for something that will reliably hold a pair of 23". Ideally it would also include maybe some cable management (or I'll DIY that) and be sturdy enough to maybe mount my tower underneath.

Suggestions? Ideas?

Abracadaniel on

• FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Just get a simple, decent desk (the VIKA series of countertops/legs at Ikea looks decent) and pick up a dual minitor stand, they run for under $150.

Ikea also has a few really cheap bolt-on cable managers.

Faricazy on
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    fine, Fari

way to go, with your logic and sensible advice

Abracadaniel on
  • RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Surely any furniture store nearby will have desks, and most of them with plenty of space for a second monitor, with no need to shell out extra for a stand. And it's not like you'll be paying much for it - I paid €55 (about $70) for this pine desk below around December last year, which I currently have a second monitor sitting on.

Dscf3717.jpg

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Having just bought a desk from Ikea, they look smaller than they are. Many of Ikea's desks are long and quite wide: check them out in person, if you can.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I know this isn't helpful, and I know you like desks since you're trying to buy one, but I can't see a thread about desks without popping in to say: I hate desks. I hate them with a passion possessed only by those who have repeatedly had to pull a PC out of a damned desk that wasn't even theirs to do work on it for someone who likes things all tucked away and tidy.

But, instead of just ranting, may I offer an alternate recommendation: a $90 8 foot folding-legs table from staples, and two $20 plastic storage cabinets from Walmart to go beneath it? That's got room to spare for two PCs side by side (one with dual monitors), or one PC with a 24"-42"-24" triple monitor setup.

Ego on
    Erik
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My $50 desk that I got on sale at Staples holds a 40" just fine, so it should do fine with two 23"s.

It seems like any generic desk on Ikea's website looks like it has enough space to hold two monitors.

SmokeStacks on
    edited September 2010
    Part of my desire to have a stand, like one of the Ergotrons, is so that I can easily rotate them to portrait for long documents and whatnot.

And Ego, as someone who has had to dig around under desks too, I feel your pain, however I can't even remember the last time I've had to actually crack out my case to fiddle with anything. In addition, the Ikea setup has openings on the side for ventilation/cable access.

I threw it together in Ikea's Planner. There's plenty of space to fiddle around on the side, though depending out where I placed it in my home office I'd swap the two legs for ease of access.

newdesk.png

I'm also going to install one of these to the underside
    31FS7MT8S8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

For all the various devices and powered accessories to hook in to.

Abracadaniel on
  • grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I had an office that was L shaped. Walls were covered with shelves except for an area in front of the window.

Went to the hardware/lumber yard and bought some 2x6, angle iron, bolts and washers, and a 36" solid core oak door. Sand the top and front down and then a few coats of polyurethane later:
    office2.jpg

The storage was either beside on a shelf, or on top since there was gobs of space.

grouch993 on
    Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Digging that self made desk.

I have a custom desk and I wanted this very problem to be solved + some more desk space + no wires on the desktop or behind the desk + minimal wires from the sound system.

so i built this:
    sketchup model, really easy to work with
    desk1o.png
    its got a channel in the desk to house the wires, the
    section.png
    the shelving is separate
    shelvingonly.png

on the left is the computer, the right underneath is for the sub
    deskonly.png

and it turned out like this
    frontbw.png
    yes, it is photoshopped, but there is really only 1 wire on my desktop that is visible. The monitor wires go through a hole where the ergotron monitor stand thing is, the keyboard is wireless and the wireless is inside the desk channel, just the mouse wire that goes down into a hole that i drilled. The headphone wires are wrapped around two small doorknobs that i got from ikea and just drilled into the side of the shelving, so that they are always out of the way.

made from bamboo plywood.

So, build your own. It is fun and worth working with your hands.

For random websites about that i would immediately suggest http://ikeahacker.blogspot.com/ A lot of great desk and desk mod ideas are in there.... specifically http://ikeahacker.blogspot.com/2010/09/monitor-and-speaker-desk-platform.html

Barcardi on
    edited September 2010
    dayum

very nice, I'll have to play around with sketchup and see what I can do in there.

Abracadaniel on
  • grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That is a nice desk.

As long as you have some tools, or a friend with some, it is fairly easy to draw up measurements and work out materials.

grouch993 on
    Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I have a Jonas from Ikea. It easily holds two monitors and my lapple.

Edit: For a size comparison, the left monitor is 23" and the right is 19". The lapple is a 15".
    fn9v.jpg

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • Storm ShadowStorm Shadow Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I concur that most store-bought desks are pretty crap, and ultimately designed for office productivity, not gaming--and certainly not dual or multi-monitors. So, like some other posters on this thread, I decided to build my own.

The desk is an 80/20 project that I recently completed last spring. This is a big desk made from aluminum extrusions and furniture grade maple plywood. Each pedestal of the desk is a full 19" rackmount for Middle Atlantic shelves, drawers and accessories, in addition to an AC power Center and rackmount server case. The left pedestal houses an NHT 12-inch powered sub (the controller is in the top right drawer, and there are two Acurus home theater amplifiers for the surround system. One of the design constraints of the desk was that it had to accommodate three 24" monitors and the NHT 1.5's that flanked them. The monitors are mounted on a custom extruded aluminum arm which is mounted on the wall studs. I could have purchased a widely available stand, but I wanted the top of the monitors to match the height of the speakers exactly, and it does.

This amount of real estate made for a very large keyboard tray with tons of mouse pad room, which was a huge upgrade from my old setup.

Here's an older shot..click on it to see some more construction photos in my flickr stream.

3452418974_a180ef036c_z.jpg

This is what it looks like in my new office. The wall shelving is from Elfa, and with a little creative bracing, I was able to wall-mount an 80lb HP Blackbird case on it... not too shabby.

4975811118_b0bbb1496a_z.jpg

Storm Shadow on
    edited September 2010
    Two words: Fucking Pimp.

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That is a hella boss setup Storm.

(Well except the aluminum Apple keyboard because I effing hate typing on those things. But otherwise, goddamn son.)

Zxerol on
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Storm Shadow for Best Furniture Builder of the Year
    all years

SmokeStacks on
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Welp, pack it up guys. Ain't no topping this. :P
    Zxerol wrote: »
    That is a hella boss setup Storm.

(Well except the aluminum Apple keyboard because I effing hate typing on those things. But otherwise, goddamn son.)

These are the only keyboards I can properly type on nowdays. <3 chicklets.

Faricazy on
    edited September 2010
    Well, it was not my intention to make this an e-peen measuring contest, you can be assured of that. I really just wanted to get your creative juices flowing, and enable some of you to think a bit bigger in terms of project scope. My inspiration comes from some of the amazing sound studios that I've seen over the years, and I've always wanted a multi-monitor desk. With the new cards (and just human goddamn nature) two monitors really means THREE; you aren't going to want to look at the ass-crack of a twin LCD setup for too very long. Three is where it's at, and that requires some real estate for sure.

Also, imagine if -- someday -- a girl might stumble upon your setup. That's always a good thing to bear in mind before you slap another coat of flat black paint on your desk or leave exposed wires everywhere.

Storm Shadow on
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hey, Storm.

I hate you and your gorgeous desk that if you don't have bolted to the floor I will try to steeeeeeeeeeal. I'll remove all your nice components and stuff first, I just want the desk.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Jesus Storm, that is fucking sexy.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Storm, did you build that from a kit/modular system, or did you fabricate? Your build has inspired me to build a desk, however I don't think I can cut aluminum or fab gusset plates.

Djeet on
    edited September 2010
    Well, it was not my intention to make this an e-peen measuring contest, you can be assured of that. I really just wanted to get your creative juices flowing, and enable some of you to think a bit bigger in terms of project scope. My inspiration comes from some of the amazing sound studios that I've seen over the years, and I've always wanted a multi-monitor desk. With the new cards (and just human goddamn nature) two monitors really means THREE; you aren't going to want to look at the ass-crack of a twin LCD setup for too very long. Three is where it's at, and that requires some real estate for sure.

Also, imagine if -- someday -- a girl might stumble upon your setup. That's always a good thing to bear in mind before you slap another coat of flat black paint on your desk or leave exposed wires everywhere.

You didn't make it an e-peen measuring contest. You just unintentionally stated "whatever contest might exist, I have already won it".

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
    edited September 2010
    That desk was custom fabricated, but with some pretty easy stuff to do so. Try looking up some parts at http://www.8020.net/ and start planning. Then, go to their eBay surplus store for some really sick deals on just about everything that they'd normally carry in their new catalog: http://stores.ebay.com/8020incgaragesale. The guys who run that store are AWESOME and will advise you and make sure everything is packed for WWIII.

I think I got my desk done for about $400 in aluminum and plywood, if I remember correctly. The components are another story.

I *do* have a Festool Circular saw with an aluminum cutting blade, which is nice to have when dealing with this stuff, but it's somewhat unnecessary. You can order specific lengths from 80/20, rent tools from a hardware store, or have a local shop do some cutting for you. Good luck and hit me up if you really want to tackle this and I'll help you plan it out.

Storm Shadow on
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wow nice storm. Hindsight being 20/20 I would have definitely gone your route with the wall mounting the monitor instead of drilling a hole in the desk. Major props. How long have you been doing furniture/framing work?

Barcardi on
    edited September 2010
    I've been doing furniture for a while, after starting making things I needed that I couldn't find at retail. I started with a shelf that was big enough to wall mount a big printer that I didn't have room for elsewhere, gadget shelves, controller stands, and have gone on from there to much bigger projects.

There are a few commercially available wall mounts for 3 monitors out there, but I'm glad I fabbed mine since I can adjust it from my triple 24" setup to a portrait-landscape-portrait (20" - 30" - 20" LCD) when they get that figured out.

Storm Shadow on
    edited September 2010
    Damn Storm, that's definitely impressive, especially the monitor setup. Care to give a little more detail on the monitor stand/mount?

Abracadaniel on
    edited September 2010
    Sure -- a picture of the apparatus would probably be more helpful than an explanation though.

Here is the triple head bracket being fabbed (again with 80/20 aluminum extrusions).

The Dell monitor brackets were simply removed from the stock stands and remounted on the 80/20 for the monitors. The monitors just sit on the brackets and 'click' on, just like on the stock stand, which is very handy.

there are two wall mount plates on the rear (that are also adjustable for different with studs), in addition to some wire management features (the plastic carriers on the bottom of the bracket) to keep things neat and tidy.

2623678577_02df476574.jpg

Storm Shadow on
    edited September 2010
    Awesome, thanks!

Speaking of keeping cables neat and tidy, I came up with an idea the other day;

Using Industrial-strength Velcro, run two parallel strips along the bottom of the desk, toward the rear where all the cables will be, and then use perpendicular strips of Velcro to channel the cables along, right to where they need to be. Also, seems like it would be easier to manage/rearrange than using zip ties, and could keep things from getting tangled like they might in one of those Ikea cable basket things.

Thoughts?

Abracadaniel on
    edited September 2010
    There's a deal for a 60" desk on techbargains right now. Looks like it would fit the OPs needs.

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • DanielHethDanielHeth Springdale, ARRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    If anybody can guide me to some nice desk ideas, i'd be eternally greatful!!!

DanielHeth on
    I'm looking for some advice on how i can improve my setup. I have a great start here with mounting the multiple montiors to the wall mounted board. I'm looking for ideas/designs to replace the 6' folding table i'm currently using for the surface.
    img_0566.jpg
    image2.png
    img_0532.jpg
    img_0536.jpg
    img_0559.jpg
    img_0563.jpg
    img_0561.jpg
    I have multiple computers attached to the various monitors. My main system is on the left and attached to the three largest monitors.

I've built a complete article on it's construction and details on the computers over on at Office « DanielHeth’s Blog
    feel free to leave comments either here or there.

I'm looking for a new computer desk design which would suit my multiple monitor setup... so if you guys have any ideas...

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    You know, I don't think you have enough monitors.

• PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    I've become really impressed by the consoles we use at work, and was wondering how easy it would be to do at home. I don't have the money or space to do something like this at the moment, but I absolutely love it.

Me either chrishallett83, figured i'd turn my attention to the desk itself and replace that ugly 6' folding table... When my wife's employer has another auction i'm going to bid on another 10 to make it 3x6. Best part is they sell them in an employees only price of $10each!!!!

Pirusu, thanks for the link, I also don't have the room for something that large, however a scaled custom built version might do nicely. I found this How-To videos over at http://www.ehow.com/video_5774213_designing-computer-desk.html?cp=1&amp;pid=1&amp;wa_vrid=fdecff6f-cea5-4963-9580-ac2375e3a0d9&amp;wa_vlsrc=continuous
    which give great advice for building my own and i'm looking at ways to customize his design for my own needs.

• Day of the BearDay of the Bear The Qun demandsRegistered User regular
    This thread is giving me too many ideas
    Smart Hero wrote:
    Awesome, thanks!

Speaking of keeping cables neat and tidy, I came up with an idea the other day;

Using Industrial-strength Velcro, run two parallel strips along the bottom of the desk, toward the rear where all the cables will be, and then use perpendicular strips of Velcro to channel the cables along, right to where they need to be. Also, seems like it would be easier to manage/rearrange than using zip ties, and could keep things from getting tangled like they might in one of those Ikea cable basket things.

Thoughts?

this is an awesome idea that i'd put into practice right now if my desk wasn't a goddamn disaster area

m6eoUgQ.jpg
    The stations we use at work aren't nearly as large as the ones I linked. I mostly just like the cable routing, the panel for VESA mounting arms, and the ability to raise and lower the front and back portion.

Buuut our desks were also $12,000 each, even without the optional heat/air vents (those were a $4,000 extra).

Pirusu, i'd love to see pics of the desks or maybe links to the vendor. I'm looking to build something myself since i have a few of wood working skills.

• kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I have two 27"ers on http://www.crateandbarrel.com/furniture/desks/drake-desk/s219528
    edit: man, CB really doesn't want me encouraging you to buy their desk.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
    Okay, I took a bunch of pictures with my phone. Not sure how well they'll turn out, but it covers most of the features.

gYQaY.jpg
    Just showing off our big video wall, cause it's awesome. Some shots of multiple consoles.

MOvnX.jpg
    Another shot of multiple desks.

0AKR5.jpg

Single desk, the front and back parts raise independently. The little circles on the right and left raise and lower the front and back portions of the desk. The mounting arms fit onto a slotted back panel, and can be moved around, and the arms articulate as well.

It's hard to see, but the legs along the front have plastic "belts" in them (it's the best I can describe it) that are used for routing cables. There are multiple power strips built into the desk, and it requires extension cords for connecting peripherals.

0AKR5.jpg

Here, I raised the back portion to show how the two pieces are independent of one another.

l3AH6.jpg

Cable routing channels behind the desk proper, you can also see the back of a computer. There are five little sections with doors for accessing the cable routing channels behind each console.

3bKeC.jpg

Showing two of the different cubbyholes.

y3b0U.jpg

A view from the front of the desk, there are two of these access points on the left and right of the desk for multiple workstations.

• baronfelbaronfel Would you say I have a _plethora_?Registered User regular
    Man, I am geek-lusting over some of these setups. I got tired with my run-of-the mill desk and am building a 4.5' by 2.5' cedar standing desk tailored to my height this weekend so that I'd have something I could tinker with and have it fit me well. I'm hoping that the extra almost foot of horizontal space will allow for three monitors easily once I get it all set up. Once I get it done and dolled up (sanded, stained, sealed, etc), I'll make sure to post some pictures!