As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

My upcoming webcomic...

jacksonmatthewsjacksonmatthews Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Artist's Corner
I have been lurking about for a long time and I thought I should post one of the strips that I have finished for my upcoming webcomic "Disgruntled Lackeys." Let me know what you think.

the%2Bpug%2Bstrip.jpg

jacksonmatthews on

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    "Forbidden

Your client does not have permission to get URL / from this server."

Just upload the image to Photobucket or something.

NightDragon on
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Not sure why it's not showing in the forum, but it works fine for the purposes of right-click Save As.

Until he amends his opening post, you can see it here.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • jacksonmatthewsjacksonmatthews Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    fuck. try this....

thepugstrip.jpg

jacksonmatthews on
  • lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The dog looks really nice, but the people might look better if I knew whether they had torsos or not.

lyrium on
    edited May 2007
    you know, you are the first person to actually call me on that...I was secretly wondering if I should have rendered more of the figures, at least give em hands...but I thought my art is pretty stylized and it wouldnt be an issue. They do have complete bodies however, they aren't some type of ridiculous "rayman" freaks.

jacksonmatthews on
  • LaliluleloLalilulelo Richmond, VARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Hey, it's drawn well. And it's mildly amusing. I think it'd be more effective and to the point, perhaps, if you cut out 2 or 3 of those panels.
    thepugstrip.jpg

This might not be the answer, but to me it feels like there's too much of that 'getting there' feeling with the joke. Because the style seems like, the punchline is in the middle of the comic, and the last panel is just commentary on the punchline not unlike most penny-arcades..
    And, yeah, torsos that are contiguous are favorable.

Lalilulelo on
    edited May 2007
    I was mostly concerned with the art for now, if it looked professional enough.
    The pacing was an issue, I felt that I needed to establish how oblivious the dog was to its disgusting behavior. I have learned that entertaining comic strips are pretty tough to craft. Shocking revalation, I know.

jacksonmatthews on
  • JudasJudas Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I second liking the art; I really like the dog. The way you drew him has a real "Ren and Stimpy" vibe to it. In my view, that's a compliment.

Judas on
    Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver.
    Situation excellent. I am attacking.

- General Ferdinand Foch
    edited May 2007
    of course it's a compliment to be compared to john kricfalusi! thanks.

jacksonmatthews on
  • LaliluleloLalilulelo Richmond, VARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Pacing is always the hard part. Quick! Make me laugh in 20 seconds!
    Ugh. Maybe try another permutation...with the 2nd and 3rd panels cut out. so it's 1,4,5,6

Lalilulelo on
  • DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I don't know, i liked it as is.

I actually laughed so :^: :^: :^:

I have a dog like this to.

DeeLock on
  • bread of wonderbread of wonder Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I thought the word choice for the last line was weak, but the art is great.

bread of wonder on
    Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
  • GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I think this is a great oppurtunity for a Goonies reference.

Greatnation on
  • Aaron LeeAaron Lee Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Baby Ruth?

Aaron Lee on
    edited May 2007
    Lalilulelo: I know, it's brutal! but I like the challenge.

DeeLock: Thanks! it seems like people with dogs with similar traits really like this strip, but I am happy that I am not being torn apart for my art.

bread of wonder: you have simultaneously kicked me in the balls and given me a hug, I am so conflicted :)

Goonies reference? explain.

jacksonmatthews on
  • desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I don't think the dog actually warrants the comedy overstatement. It's kinda cute and looks happy. Unless the beard guy's schtick is to be unjustifiably cruel...? The art's nice and expressive and I thought the pacing was spot on but the verbose punchline killed it. EDIT: Even just getting rid of the words "I think" make the punchline stronger and beardy more of a Bernard Blackesque bastard.

desperaterobots on
    edited May 2007
    I had to google bernard black, but after reading up, it seems you have found an appropriately analogous characer to "beardy". I wouldn't consider him cruel for hating the dog with words, now if he hated the dog with a baseball bat, I think that would be sort of cruel :mrgreen:

jacksonmatthews on
  • squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I think hilarious writing trumps good art, personally, but if you're just worried about art for the moment I'd have to say :^:

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
    edited May 2007
    I agree about the writing vs. art issue...just look at cyanide and happiness. I have what I would consider stronger jokes that I am finishing right now, but I just wanted to do a complete strip to establish a process and template for myself. Thanks for the feedback.

jacksonmatthews on
  • Hellbound 17 1/2Hellbound 17 1/2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Lalilulelo wrote: »
    Hey, it's drawn well. And it's mildly amusing. I think it'd be more effective and to the point, perhaps, if you cut out 2 or 3 of those panels.

I agree. I think the 4 panel version works a lot better. Especially for comics with short punch lines like this, I think that telling the story in a fewer panels is better. Also, I think the shorter version establishes the grossness (<-- is that a word?) of the dog a lot better than the first version. The panting is more cute than gross, in my opinion. Though, yeah, I'm not sure if the obliviousness to the behavior is captured in the short version. Hmm. Anyway, hope that helps. :D

Hellbound 17 1/2 on
  • mr0rangemr0range Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Goonies reference? explain.

Your dog looks like Sloth

I think you should take out "I think" as well. It works well and gives a bit more straightforward statement than adding "I think" (heck, take it out of my reply here and you'll get a more direct statement)

I'm not sure if his second word balloon is really needed.

mr0range on
    dvd_banner.jpg
  • GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    photochop memes are for tools, but i did one anyway

meme.jpg

Greatnation on
  • EntrYEntrY Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I couldn't help myself...

EntrY on
    beavotron wrote:
    hang on, i need to go put an adult diaper on before you continue explaining.

Flickr ... Myspace
    edited May 2007
    fucking awesome.:mrgreen:

jacksonmatthews on
  • core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Static heads bore me.

Not the dog head though, that's pretty cute.

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png