As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Two new Star Wars films not to involve Zhan? :O

12346»

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Defender wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »
    Reese Witherspoon is a deceptively classy lady. She's a decendant of one of the men who signed the Declaration of Independence, incidentally.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Witherspoon

I don't know if I'd say "deceptively."

I wouldn't blame someone for assuming otherwise. I mean, Legally Blonde? Come now.

Shorty on
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Reese Witherspoon is a deceptively classy lady. She's a decendant of one of the men who signed the Declaration of Independence, incidentally.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Witherspoon

I don't know if I'd say "deceptively."

I wouldn't blame someone for assuming otherwise. I mean, Legally Blonde? Come now.

OK, that's fair.

Defender on
  • HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Returning to Star Wars, has anyone noticed that Darth Revan has become the Sith equivalent of Chuck Norris?

Especially after the Darth Bane book. Motherfucker can do no wrong, straddles the light and the dark, was the most powerful Force user in generations, nearly took over the Republic in the blink of an eye, came back and dismantled his own armada and stuck it to his gimp apprentice, etc.

Now, Revan is one of my favorite characters in Star wars, so the fact that the SWU collectively jerks off to him is actually kind of a treat for me. I just find it immensely amusing how much people gush over him, especially after learning that Anakin was a whiny fuckup before turning to the Dark Side.

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
    edited May 2007
    Never heard of Darth Revan, but Kyle Katarn in the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games kinda went the same way. At first he's a Han Solo badass, a former Imperial agent who's working as a merc for the rebels. Then he becomes a Jedi, like, really goddamn fast. I guess because it's a game they had to have you kill a Big Bad Dark Jedi at the end, so Kyle had to go from inheriting a lightsaber to becoming a Jedi Master in like a week. Actually, though, he fights seven different Dark Jedi of varying skill levels including the big villain. Then he's training Mara Jade, who I recall was trained previously by both the Emperor during the rebellion and Luke Skywalker after the rebellion (so he's training someone who has already worked with some high-level masters and has been a force user of one type or another for a long time), and then becomes a Sith Lord somehow, but turns back and in so doing "gives up" his powers...which kinda doesn't make much sense. Then in JK2 he rediscovers his powers and is able to use light and dark powers at the same time.

Don't get me wrong, the games were mechanically very good, but Kyle is ridiculously powerful.

Defender on
  • TSRTSR Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    A friend of mine grew up in the tiny coastal town of Bandon, OR, and went to Zahn's beach-side barbecues. Man was apparently really intense to talk to and told all of the kids, like my friend, crazy stories while everyone was sitting around, eating their food.

Can't say I'm surprised. I like his novels, too, the Thrawn trilogy was swank.

TSR on
    edited May 2007
    The Thrawn trilogy is the only EU stuff I've ever read. I heard a TON about it from other nerds at college, and they said that Thrawn was the best, and that a lot of the rest were shit. They told me a bunch of the plotlines and events and I was like "yeah wow that's some shitty fanfic there."

But Thrawn was really good. I liked it. He kinda copped some shit from the movies, but it added to the feeling.

Defender on
  • HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So you never played either of the KOTOR games, Defender?

You might like them. Especially KOTOR2.

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    WHY I AM SO BLUE
    thrawn.jpg

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Never heard of Darth Revan, but Kyle Katarn in the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games kinda went the same way. At first he's a Han Solo badass, a former Imperial agent who's working as a merc for the rebels. Then he becomes a Jedi, like, really goddamn fast. I guess because it's a game they had to have you kill a Big Bad Dark Jedi at the end, so Kyle had to go from inheriting a lightsaber to becoming a Jedi Master in like a week. Actually, though, he fights seven different Dark Jedi of varying skill levels including the big villain. Then he's training Mara Jade, who I recall was trained previously by both the Emperor during the rebellion and Luke Skywalker after the rebellion (so he's training someone who has already worked with some high-level masters and has been a force user of one type or another for a long time), and then becomes a Sith Lord somehow, but turns back and in so doing "gives up" his powers...which kinda doesn't make much sense. Then in JK2 he rediscovers his powers and is able to use light and dark powers at the same time.

Don't get me wrong, the games were mechanically very good, but Kyle is ridiculously powerful.

I don't really know how he became a jedi so fast in JK1, but I figured he got so powerful so fast in the JK2 because he used the Valley of the Jedi

Javen on
  • Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    AND WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS THING ON MY NECK?!

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I fucking love the Chiss

fucking psuedo-Imperial badasses

Weaver on
  • Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Weaver wrote: »
    I fucking love the Chiss

fucking psuedo-Imperial badasses
    The are so fucking bad ass.

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
  • MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    edited May 2007
    Javen wrote: »

I don't really know how he became a jedi so fast in JK1, but I figured he got so powerful so fast in the JK2 because he used the Valley of the Jedi

Yeah, didn't like that...kinda like Midichlorians.

But also I don't get how a Jedi can just "give up" his powers. He can stop using them, but it doesn't seem like he should be able to give them up, just like how I can't unlearn to ride a bicycle.

Defender on
    edited May 2007
    Harrier wrote: »

Yeah, I never did. I heard 1 was better than 2, though.

Defender on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

But also I don't get how a Jedi can just "give up" his powers. He can stop using them, but it doesn't seem like he should be able to give them up, just like how I can't unlearn to ride a bicycle.

Well I mean basic Jedi teaching is pretty much learning how to let the force "flow through you" thus giving you better control over your powers. So with that logic, it makes sense that someone learned in the force can shut themselves off from it.

Javen on
    edited May 2007

Well I mean basic Jedi teaching is pretty much learning how to let the force "flow through you" thus giving you better control over your powers. So with that logic, it makes sense that someone learned in the force can shut themselves off from it.

OK, but wouldn't that be the same as a professional musician in a jam session just purposely not playing nice with the other musicians? Or like a boxer just deliberately having bad timing and lazy jabs? I can understand purposely not using your skill, but people as I know them cannot forget skills at will. And even if they do, if they've gained a decent level of skill, they usually pick it back up really fast.

EDIT: Just saying it seemed kinda forced, and I understand from a gameplay perspective why they made you start from ground zero with your powers.

Defender on
  • ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Yeah, I never did. I heard 1 was better than 2, though.

KOTOR 1 starts off so damn slow and boring, I feel bad recommending it to anyone

but once it gets going, it's awesome

ZeroFill on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Returning to Star Wars, has anyone noticed that Darth Revan has become the Sith equivalent of Chuck Norris?

Especially after the Darth Bane book. Motherfucker can do no wrong, straddles the light and the dark, was the most powerful Force user in generations, nearly took over the Republic in the blink of an eye, came back and dismantled his own armada and stuck it to his gimp apprentice, etc.

Now, Revan is one of my favorite characters in Star wars, so the fact that the SWU collectively jerks off to him is actually kind of a treat for me. I just find it immensely amusing how much people gush over him, especially after learning that Anakin was a whiny fuckup before turning to the Dark Side.

I think Jacen is currently on his way to surpassing Reven as the baddest mother fucker.

Dude is fucking psychotic, and he still thinks he's doing the right thing. It's how Anakin's fall should have been.

Bloods End on
  • futilityfutility Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    lol kaiburr crystals = godmode

futility on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    futility wrote: »
    lol kaiburr crystals = godmode

Isn't Luke using that in his small side lightsaber now?

Bloods End on