As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's go [Back to the Future] with Telltale

• Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So is this just PC? All three consoles? iPhone? Toaster?

Well, we know it's for the Wii because Michael J. Fox specifically asked for waggle controls

Rent on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    No no, he demanded Move support

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Bunch of classless people ITT

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Oh, maybe the games will shed light on how Marty and Doc Brown know each other. It's always been a source of confusion and fodder for pedophile enthusiasts.

Marty knows Doc Brown because he met him in 1955 :) (insert time travel paradox)

Let me fix that number for you.

President Rex on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I hope Fox is in it.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    DrCongoDrCongo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
    Sorry but can I just say OH MY GOD 25TH ANNIVERSARY BLU-RAY BttF BOX COMING OCTOBER 2010 :shock::D

...there, got that out of my system. Just found out about that one.

DrCongo on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Oh, maybe the games will shed light on how Marty and Doc Brown know each other. It's always been a source of confusion and fodder for pedophile enthusiasts.

Marty knows Doc Brown because he met him in 1955 :) (insert time travel paradox)

Let me fix that number for you.

Thank you, apparently my brain wasn't on that day :P

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The best part is, they can just take the existing Marty concept art and use it for a Macgruber game down the line.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    According to Wikipedia, it's apparently Word of God that Doc was looking for some student aides for a project and Marty said yes. Maybe he was getting paid or something.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    So Doc was experimenting with high-schoolers?

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Maybe he's just trying to get Marty into the Coast Guard Youth Auxiliary.

President Rex on
  • Options
    GibbsGibbs Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    1985 Marty tells 1955 Doc how they met, thus Doc goes out of his way to meet him in the future.

Delightfully paradoxical.

Gibbs on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I've got a bad case of lovin' you.
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Gibbs wrote: »
    1985 Marty tells 1955 Doc how they met, thus Doc goes out of his way to meet him in the future.

This actually makes more than sense. It's probably the truth considering he never forgot Marty or the time machine.

C2B on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Do we have any sort of date on this for when the first episode will be released? Because I need this game. Now.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Do we have any sort of date on this for when the first episode will be released? Because I need this game. Now.

*insert time machine joke*

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    C2B wrote: »

This actually makes more than sense. It's probably the truth considering he never forgot Marty or the time machine.

But that was a totally different Doc/Marty. At the beginning of the movie, Marty and Doc already know each other, and yet Marty's family are still losers and Biff is a jerk. So in that timeline, Marty and Doc somehow already knew each other, without Marty having traveled back in time.

Tune in next time for "Marty is basically a crazy person with years worth of false memories at the end of BTTF 1".

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    No way. Its all part of the same timeline.

Its what we will call MartyTime because he is the only one who retains all of the memories of all past, present, and possible timelines.

In MartyTime, all events did happen, whether they were erased or not. He lived them and he experienced them. There is no paradox.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    No way. Its all part of the same timeline.

Its what we will call MartyTime because he is the only one who retains all of the memories of all past, present, and possible timelines.

In MartyTime, all events did happen, whether they were erased or not. He lived them and he experienced them. There is no paradox.

So, what happens to the Marty's of their respective time. What happened to the Marty who went back in time though he already had the happy life?

This?

Marty the second, and third and oh my god

C2B on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    When Marty goes back to 1985 and everything's different and confusing to him, everyone recognizes Marty and acts like it's no big deal that he's there.

So what happened to the Marty from that timeline? Since there obviously was one, since everyone's like "Oh, hey Marty". There was a Marty McFly who grew up in that timeline and has all those memories. So what happened to him?

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    When Marty goes back to 1985 and everything's different and confusing to him, everyone recognizes Marty and acts like it's no big deal that he's there.

So what happened to the Marty from that timeline? Since there obviously was one, since everyone's like "Oh, hey Marty". There was a Marty McFly who grew up in that timeline and has all those memories. So what happened to him?
    Nevermind. Sorry.

C2B on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Uh... no. There was no Marty McFly in the '50s. People were just a little friendlier to strangers then. Especially since large portions of the people he encounter say something about how they think he's a sailor because of his coat. Biff even once says something along the lines of "I'm going to cut you a little slack since you're new around here."

Gibbs on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Uh... no. There was no Marty McFly in the '50s. People were just a little friendlier to strangers then. Especially since large portions of the people he encounter say something about how they think he's a sailor because of his coat. Biff even once says something along the lines of "I'm going to cut you a little slack since you're new around here."

He's talking about 1985, not the 50s.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    agoaj wrote: »

Man, we start temporal mechanic discussions and I screw it up by misreading one number. Sheesh.

Well, my new response:

The timeline changed around Doc, Marty, Jennifer, and Einie in movies 2 and 3, so I figure that's what happens in the first movie. It doesn't seem odd to Marty's siblings that he slept in non-rich kid clothing, so they remember his personality, he was just transplanted into the new timeline. His memories just won't match theirs.

Gibbs on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Maybe he's just trying to get Marty into the Coast Guard Youth Auxiliary.

:^:

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I think when they announced these, they said the first would be in Oct or Nov.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Here is a nice clip about the future tech from the second movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aWMYFkH3Gw

Krathoon on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Man, we start temporal mechanic discussions and I screw it up by misreading one number. Sheesh.

Well, my new response:

The timeline changed around Doc, Marty, Jennifer, and Einie in movies 2 and 3, so I figure that's what happens in the first movie. It doesn't seem odd to Marty's siblings that he slept in non-rich kid clothing, so they remember his personality, he was just transplanted into the new timeline. His memories just won't match theirs.

When Biff goes back to give himself the Almanac he's able to return to the timeline that he departed from, despite the fact he had changed the future.

President Rex on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Well, my new response:

When Biff goes back to give himself the Almanac he's able to return to the timeline that he departed from, despite the fact he had changed the future.

You could argue that it takes time for time to change. Biff changes the past. History is re-written like dropping a pebble in a pond. The ripples spread out quickly, but not instantaneously.

Or since Marty and Doc are in Hilldale while Biff goes back in time, it's entirely possible that 2015 HAS changed into a worse-off 2015. Biff's control of Hill Valley wasn't destined to last forever, especially obvious with 2015 Biff's disappearance. (Was that a deleted scene?) Was Hill Dale complete in 1985? The gap between leaving the McFly household and travelling back to 1985 could accompany a transition or the ripple had not yet have reached 2015 when they left. (Doesn't old Biff vanish as Doc/Marty/Jennifer walk to the car?)

Or another theory, peaceful 2015 still exists. If Marty and Co. had never returned to 1985, then they would have stayed there even after the ripple affect. Old Biff just barely managed to slip back in. But once they went on a one-way trip back in time, they were stuck with the new alternate timeline.

I feel like I'm missing something very obvious here.

Gibbs on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Holy fuck you guys

You are making me want to watch the entire trilogy tonight

But my Back to the Future II disc got scratched somehow so I'm waiting on those Blu-rays

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Well, my new response:

You could argue that it takes time for time to change. Biff changes the past. History is re-written like dropping a pebble in a pond. The ripples spread out quickly, but not instantaneously.

Or since Marty and Doc are in Hilldale while Biff goes back in time, it's entirely possible that 2015 HAS changed into a worse-off 2015. Biff's control of Hill Valley wasn't destined to last forever, especially obvious with 2015 Biff's disappearance. (Was that a deleted scene?) Was Hill Dale complete in 1985? The gap between leaving the McFly household and travelling back to 1985 could accompany a transition or the ripple had not yet have reached 2015 when they left. (Doesn't old Biff vanish as Doc/Marty/Jennifer walk to the car?)

Or another theory, peaceful 2015 still exists. If Marty and Co. had never returned to 1985, then they would have stayed there even after the ripple affect. Old Biff just barely managed to slip back in. But once they went on a one-way trip back in time, they were stuck with the new alternate timeline.

I feel like I'm missing something very obvious here.

The scene with old Biff 'dying' because Lorraine shot him in the alternate history was cut because audiences had no idea what was going on. Without the deleted scene it just looks like he injured himself and he hobbles off.

I think the best explanation is that Biff died off by 2015 and the housing development returned to its normal 2015 slightly slummy self.

President Rex on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Ah, that's right. Lorraine shoots him. I was having the hardest time remembering what killed him. I remember the way he grasped at himself. I wanted to say he was having a heart attack from the new timeline's lifestyle.

Gibbs on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    In BttF time has a tendency to auto-correct itself (ie. Erasing Marty in the first one or Old Biff in the second one), it just takes time for the ripples of the change to reach them.
    I imagine staying in one time long enough would cause the ripples to overwrite Marty and give him the memories that the Marty of that time is supposed to have (though I have no idea if it would overwrite his memories or cause him to remember both timelines like in the movie Frequency).
    There is some evidence of Marty possibly gaining alternate memories in BttF2 when Marty leaps to his dad's defense when he thinks Old Biff has insulted him (prior to changing history, Marty had a low opinion of his father and pretty much knew he was Biff's bitch).

Given this, I imagine if Marty and Doc had stayed in the alternate 1985 for too long, the ripples would have caught up with them and they would have disappeared and reappeared in Switzerland and an insane asylum respectively, since that's where they were supposed to be in that timeline.

Lars on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I like that idea, but just because Marty defends his new Dad doesn't mean he knows anymore about him than when he learned he punched Biff and is now rich.

Gibbs on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Look. Any plot involving time travel is essentially going to be screwed somewhere.

Wibbly wobbly timey wimey just enjoy the damn movie.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Look. Any plot involving time travel is essentially going to be screwed somewhere.

Part of enjoying a well-written movie is discussing it. Back to the Future is an extremely well-written trilogy. We're entitled to talk ourselves crazy.

Gibbs on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, I love BTTF unconditionally. It's just really fun to watch peoples' eyes widen at parties when I point out this sort of stuff.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

Check out Homestuck. One of the most convoluted time-travel stories I've ever seen and yet so far everything is perfectly internally consistent.

On the actual topic though, yeah, BttF's time travel just don't make no damn sense. Which is fine because it's just a silly fun movie and not hard science fiction.

Lookin' forward to these games

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So, I just came across this...

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    So, I just came across this...

That's usually friday lunch for me.

Must watch more videos of them. They're new to me.

C2B on