As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Brian Wood, Company of Heroes designer, dies in crash to save wife and unborn child

Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in Games and Technology
http://www.theprovince.com/news/final+only+thing+that+would+save/3487150/story.html
With an out-of-control Chevy Blazer bearing down on him, the 33-year old North Vancouver man braked and swerved his Subaru wagon so that he would take the force of the head-on collision, saving his wife of five years, pregnant with their first baby.

This is a sad thing.

:(

Captain K on

• Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Jesus... and he was even from the same town as me..

:cry:

oh, no, wait, they mean vancouver canada damnit

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    ...wow. That's terrible, and amazing. May God bless the family he died to protect...

AnakinOU on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wow. He did an amazing thing, thats for sure.
    A Chevy Blazer, with four occupants, crossed the centre line when the driver tried to take her sweater off while driving, asking the other front passenger to take the wheel at the time.

Christ...

Arrath on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It feels sorta cheesy to say that this guy touched my life in any way at all, but I did enjoy Company of Heroes a great deal, so I feel marginally more connected than to any random stranger.

This kind of thing happens all the time, I know, but it sucks a little more this time.

Also, I know it's a cliche to say "the person driving under the influence is always the one to survive the accident", but damn if it doesn't seem unfair as hell in this case.

Captain K on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I mean this from the bottom of my heart.
    FUCK

FUCK

FUCKITYFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK

My niece is 13 weeks old and I cannot image how her mother or the rest of either one of our families would take it if something happened. Is there a trust fund or something we can buy from relic to make more money for them?

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My niece is 13 weeks old and I cannot image how her mother or the rest of either one of our families would take it if something happened. Is there a trust fund or something we can buy from relic to make more money for them?

Not that I'm aware of, but they do have a site where you can offer your condolences to the family at least.

http://www.legacy.com/can-vancouver/Obituaries.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonID=145143231

Operative21 on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Captain K wrote: »
    Also, I know it's a cliche to say "the person driving under the influence is always the one to survive the accident", but damn if it doesn't seem unfair as hell in this case.

A pregnant coworker of mine, 8 months pregnant, was killed by a drunk driver in a collision. It's definitely not fair.

But in this case, Wood saved his family so at least there's that much to be thankful for.

I hope the dumb bitch who tried to take a piece of clothing off while driving gets what's coming to her.

Henroid on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I heard this story with out mention of the identities of the victims on the Seattle news last night. Now I'm more sad.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Arrath wrote: »
    A Chevy Blazer, with four occupants, crossed the centre line when the driver tried to take her sweater off while driving, asking the other front passenger to take the wheel at the time.

Christ...

What kind of retard thinks it's a good idea to take off clothes while you're driving?! And yes, anyone who does something this stupid with the following result being a death needs to be labeled as such. Like tattooed on both cheeks forever and ever.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Arrath wrote: »

Christ...

What kind of retard thinks it's a good idea to take off clothes while you're driving?! And yes, anyone who does something this stupid with the following result being a death needs to be labeled as such. Like tattooed on both cheeks forever and ever.
    “There is quite a drug history there . . . and we found some evidence of that at the scene so that leads us to believe there were drugs in their systems,” said Sgt, Jason Longoria.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    women drivers

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    GibbsGibbs Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    God, this is just horrible.

I respect Brian Woods for the actions he took. Game designer or not, he did the best he could with a horrible situation.

Gibbs on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I've got a bad case of lovin' you.
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    women drivers

wtf man?

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Jesus fucking christ.

If a couple people weren't so retarded, this man wouldn't have had to die a hero.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    DJ Cam CamDJ Cam Cam Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The people in the blazer were not wearing seat belts at all. It still amazes me that still to this day people are stupid enough not to wear seat belts.

DJ Cam Cam on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    women drivers

I would like to inform you that you receiving a minor infraction for this post was entirely a mistake on my part.

As soon as Tube removes it, I'll give you a serious instead.

Echo on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    but seriously, how does not one of the three passengers in the blazer stop and say "uhh what the fuck do you think you're doing" to the driver?

I agree that The driver and the surviving passenger should both be permanently labeled as incompetent in hopefully the most embarrassing and/or publicly visible way.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    nstfnstf __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    women drivers

I would like to inform you that you receiving a minor infraction for this post was entirely a mistake on my part.

As soon as Tube removes it, I'll give you a serious instead.

Eh, jokes about women drivers and old drivers are common. Lighten up. Though I doubt anybody would get in trouble for jokes about old driver son this forum.

nstf on
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I had heard only a part of this story, but not all of it.

No one should have to die a hero due to the stupidity of other people.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    nstf wrote: »
    Eh, jokes about women drivers and old drivers are common. Lighten up. Though I doubt anybody would get in trouble for jokes about old driver son this forum.

or not... lol

quick, someone make a joke about totally fabulous drivers to complete the trifecta of offensive joke infractions!

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It is not uncommon for those found guilty of vehicular homicide to get less than two years in jail in the U.S.

You just watch, Three two year jail sentences to be served concurrently, with eligibility for early parole.

EDIT* Still a great opportunity for last words, he could have completely redefined "Hold my beer and watch this".

Detharin on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    but seriously, how does not one of the three passengers in the blazer stop and say "uhh what the fuck do you think you're doing" to the driver?

As a passenger, you are pretty much at the mercy of the driver, especially on the backseats. And none of them had seat belts on, which implies to me that they didn't give a fuck about security.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Having known him in life, he was an incredible person. One of the most awesome, smartest guys I've ever met, and I will miss him dearly. :(

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The extremes of these situations just came to me;

On one hand, a massive act of irresponsibility.

On the other, a person who put the safety of others before his own.

RIP Mr. Wood. You paid the ultimate price for a just cause. Any who face their end with such quick thinking and selflessness of action deserve to be honoured.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    Godspeed, Brian Wood.

Sheep on
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    "We are gathered here today to pay final respects to our honored dead. But it should be noted that this death takes place in the shadow of new life, the sunrise of a new world; a world that our beloved comrade gave his life to protect and nourish. He did not feel this sacrifice a vain or empty one, and we will not debate his profound wisdom at these proceedings. Of my friend, I can only say this: of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, his was the most... human."

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    reddeathreddeath Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Such a sad thing.

Why does it always seem to be someone in an SUV doing something psychotic like changing clothes in the driver seat.

Seriously one of the most dangerous classes of vehicle and typical driver I've ever seen.

This dude is a real life hero for saving his wife and child, but the most sad thing here is that the person who perpetrated this crime will pretty much get off scott free most likely, and be right back on the road in her ignorant murderbox, endangering the lives of everyone around her. All because it was an 'accident' not criminal negligence or disregard for safety or anything.

reddeath on
  • Options
    wusoldjrwusoldjr Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    He did a brave thing putting his body between that SUV and his family. RIP Mr. Wood.

wusoldjr on
  • Options
    Steel-AngelSteel-Angel Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    i don't understand

why killing people when you're behind the wheel under the influence is somehow less worthy of punishment than killing people under the influence in general

also jordyn is such a stereotypical white trash name

Steel-Angel on
    signaturep.jpg
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    reddeath wrote: »
    Such a sad thing.

Why does it always seem to be someone in an SUV doing something psychotic like changing clothes in the driver seat.

Seriously one of the most dangerous classes of vehicle and typical driver I've ever seen.

You're really going to use this as a platform to spew anti-SUV propaganda? Classy.

To answer your question, it is because collisions involving a large vehicle and a small vehicle are more likely to end in a fatality. Idiots are idiots, no matter what vehicle they're driving. To say that this moron driving the SUV is "typical" of drivers of that class of vehicle is unfounded and ignorant.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    reddeathreddeath Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Such a sad thing.

You're really going to use this as a platform to spew anti-SUV propaganda? Classy.

To answer your question, it is because collisions involving a large vehicle and a small vehicle are more likely to end in a fatality. Idiots are idiots, no matter what vehicle they're driving. To say that this moron driving the SUV is "typical" of drivers of that class of vehicle is unfounded and ignorant.

I think everyone is familiar enough with this type of driver in this class of vehicle to know exactly where I'm coming from.

Hey, know what kind of vehicle I see on it's top nearly once a week on my drive to work?

Hey, know what kind of vehicle I see tailgating me on the freeway in the slow lane every single day?

Hey, know what kind of vehicle I see fly up behind people only to panic brake literally inches from the nearest bumper, every, single, day?

It's a person who thinks they are invincible driving an SUV. EVERY TIME. It's not a bro truck (because bros know trucks are expensive to fix), it's not a motorcycle (although I have seen a motorcycle get creamed by a... Guess what... yeah SUV trying to panic brake), and it's not a semi.

So yeah, It's kinda a bitch that one of the people responsible for some of my favorite gaming ever got murdered by an idiot diver in an suv.

Lemme guess you "need" your SUV. For ummm. Movin stuff. And stuff. Big stuff. Yeah.

an an EMT I'd rather see everyone driving vettes around in the winter as opposed to SUVs, at least then they'd retain the proper fear of doom. But hey, keep fighting the good fight pal. Hope I never have to pull you outta your mangled ignorancebox.

reddeath on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    One might say his wife was in the company of a hero.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This story would give me chills with or without the attachment to video games. That's some immense selflessness, to not only take an action like that but have it come so naturally to you that you make a split second decision like that. That man loved his wife and child very much.

Edit: And of course it was a bunch of stupid kids driving under influence that did this.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I think everyone is familiar enough with this type of driver in this class of vehicle to know exactly where I'm coming from.

Hey, know what kind of vehicle I see on it's top nearly once a week on my drive to work?

Hey, know what kind of vehicle I see tailgating me on the freeway in the slow lane every single day?

Hey, know what kind of vehicle I see fly up behind people only to panic brake literally inches from the nearest bumper, every, single, day?

It's a person who thinks they are invincible driving an SUV. EVERY TIME. It's not a bro truck (because bros know trucks are expensive to fix), it's not a motorcycle (although I have seen a motorcycle get creamed by a... Guess what... yeah SUV trying to panic brake), and it's not a semi.

So yeah, It's kinda a bitch that one of the people responsible for some of my favorite gaming ever got murdered by an idiot diver in an suv.

Lemme guess you "need" your SUV. For ummm. Movin stuff. And stuff. Big stuff. Yeah.

an an EMT I'd rather see everyone driving vettes around in the winter as opposed to SUVs, at least then they'd retain the proper fear of doom. But hey, keep fighting the good fight pal. Hope I never have to pull you outta your mangled ignorancebox.

Alright, fair enough, you can think whatever you want to think and spout it as fact based on anecdotal evidence. That is the definition of ignorance. I drive a mid-size sedan, for the record.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    Quit shitting up the thread.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    You're right.

At the very least, his wife and child can live their lives knowing Brian died a damn hero.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
  • Options
    McSnugglesMcSnuggles Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This story is making me tear up. That's damned amazing what he did, and as everyone else said, he truly is a hero.

McSnuggles on
    360 Gamertag: Mcsnuggles
    371610-1.png
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It's not infraction-worthy to call the sweater woman a fucking retard, though, is it? This is still Penny Arcade, after all.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png