As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] [Chat]: Rock is Revamped, Scissors gets Scissors Power, Paper is NYI

1565758596062»

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    I hate talents where the end result is a 100% proc. The chance difference between points is so big you really have to put all points in it. This is worse when talents cap at three points.
    You know you are SUPPOSED to put fill out the talent, right?
    If that was the case, talents would just consume the points automatically.

Um ... what? I don't even know what that means.

And yes, again, you are supposed to fill out the whole talent. It's how you design a talent that ultimately costs 3 points for the effect.

shryke on
  • Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    He means that rather than having any hedgeway, those talents just cost 3 points.

As in, not spending your points individually since there's no point anyways.

I'll take it one step further: remove talent trees completely. Instead, classes make an arbitrary customization choice every 10 levels. What role would you prefer? Want a better fire nova or better totem reach? Buff your word of glory or get a proc to grant more holy power? Want to dual wield 2h or buff up your 1h?

Oh look, I just accomplished what talent trees do right now, sans the overhead.

naengwen on
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    And yes, on the topic of replacing things, last night with the *first* main Hyjal quest, I replaced my Warlock's Seethe/Shriveled Heart combo with a green staff and *gained* ~200 spellpower. Fucking crazy.

About halfway through 80 now and no idea how far through Hyjal and I've replaced my T9 gloves with a green drop, my T9 robe with a green quest reward, have gotten *another* green staff that has crit instead of the haste my current one has, and have been tempted to replace my T9 helm with a blue head piece with spirit on it, annoyingly, so it's obviously for healers. Got that from the end of a major quest line.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    naengwen wrote: »
    He means that rather than having any hedgeway, those talents just cost 3 points.

Sure there's a point. You get some benefit from the effect earlier. Considering talent points are not 1 per level anymore in Cataclyms, that's ALOT earlier.

It's also much simpler and doesn't require you to change anything to accomidate talents that cost more then 1 point.

There's no downside to the current system.

shryke on
  • Options
    SammichSammich Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Dont all casters want Spirit now for mana regen?

Sammich on
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    No, ele shammies want it for hit. It doesn't affect regen for them.

Senshi on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Sammich wrote: »
    Dont all casters want Spirit now for mana regen?

Just healers really. And Boomkin/Ele Shammies of course, for hit.

AFAIK all the DPS are going to be given enough regen to keep their rotation going.

shryke on
  • Options
    MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Sure there's a point. You get some benefit from the effect earlier. Considering talent points are not 1 per level anymore in Cataclyms, that's ALOT earlier.

It's also much simpler and doesn't require you to change anything to accomidate talents that cost more then 1 point.

I think the rub is that the same effect can be achieved with consistency. Here's an example of an enhancement talent from beta(just going by wowtal.com, I'm not in the beta):
    Causes the Searing Bolts from your Searing Totem to have a 33/66/100% chance to set their targets aflame, dealing damage equal to the Searing Bolt's impact damage over 15 sec. Stacks up to 5 times.
    Causes the Searing Bolts from your Searing Totem to set their targets aflame, dealing damage equal to 33/66/100% of the Searing Bolt's impact damage over 15 sec. Stacks up to 5 times.
    I think more people would prefer the style of the second one. Maybe not this specific example--I don't know shit about shamans. The idea is still sound, though.

Monsty on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You won't get much regen from spirit as a caster anyway (or more accurately, basically no benefit), since you won't have talents to properly utilize it while in combat.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Compared to the previous implementation, probably. There's still downsides, objective or otherwise. Monsty brought up a good point with Searing Flames; consistency shouldn't be the factor for talents like that.

naengwen on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Monsty wrote: »

I think the rub is that the same effect can be achieved with consistency. Here's an example of an enhancement talent from beta(just going by wowtal.com, I'm not in the beta):
    Causes the Searing Bolts from your Searing Totem to have a 33/66/100% chance to set their targets aflame, dealing damage equal to the Searing Bolt's impact damage over 15 sec. Stacks up to 5 times.
    Causes the Searing Bolts from your Searing Totem to set their targets aflame, dealing damage equal to 33/66/100% of the Searing Bolt's impact damage over 15 sec. Stacks up to 5 times.
    I think more people would prefer the style of the second one. Maybe not this specific example--I don't know shit about shamans. The idea is still sound, though.

Yes, but then you are making a talent that doesn't require a 3 point investment. Which is kinda the point.

Some talents are (apparently) designed to let you put less then the max number of points in if you've got left-overs. Some aren't though.

shryke on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/1962-Zalazane-s-Fall-and-Operation-Gnomeregan-now-on-live-servers

Apparently the Gnomergan and Echo Isles stuff is available on live servers right now.

captaink on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well, fuck, that was earlier than expected.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    captaink wrote: »
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/1962-Zalazane-s-Fall-and-Operation-Gnomeregan-now-on-live-servers

Apparently the Gnomergan and Echo Isles stuff is available on live servers right now.

Is there any relevant description to copy/paste for us work filter folks, or just a quick one-liner? Much appreciated if someone can do so <3

Bobble on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I have never really understood the beef with talents that "require" you to invest three or five or whatever points. I mean, either you think the investment is worth it, or you don't. Effects are balanced around the investment of a certain number of talent points, and the number isn't always one.

I suppose to some extent it "hurts" leveling builds, but whatever, you're at the next level in a few hours anyway.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    simsim Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I have never really understood the beef with talents that "require" you to invest three or five or whatever points. I mean, either you think the investment is worth it, or you don't. Effects are balanced around the investment of a certain number of talent points, and the number isn't always one.

I suppose to some extent it "hurts" leveling builds, but whatever, you're at the next level in a few hours anyway.

Currently, it's fine, but I can understand the issue once talents are twice as scarce.

sim on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    There won't be any more five point talents either, though.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    NylonathetepNylonathetep Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm very disappointed about the Uldum new Zone... In fact I'm disappointed about how Blizzard handle the Titan Tech in general.

Titans are godlike powerful from what I'm getting in the other two sites (holograpghic computer system at the end of Uldara, Machine that makes mobs at the end of Halls of Stone, etc) but yet the design and the doddads are like what you see in in Indiana Jones and the Holy Grail aka Rosetta City.

What I'm trying to say is that the walls should be silver metallic covered with overgrowth with the occassional spark of electricity in the circuitry, (what advance civilization uses stone to build stuff anyways?) the machines should be more sophicated instead of having gears and gas pipes out of them. The Machines should be like that Laser hovering patrol robot in the origional Halo or Gundam instead of clumsy giant golems.

I'm okay with the egypt theme if that the direction Blizzard want to take... However it even fails at that. A giant Pyrmid and a giant Sphinx doesn't make it any more egyptian then having the Effiel Tower and the Arch de Triumphant making it more Paris Like.

The city in the clouds ideas is worst... It's pretty cool on it's own but where does that fit into the Egyptian Mythology? Also that structure itself spells Taj Mahal then anything Egyptian to me.

IF Blizzard wants anything egyptian... Have the zone swiling with sands all the time, make it vast and empty with the occasional columes and structure sticking out of the sand sidesways, and have the main instance hub bury it under the sand, have the walls darkly lid with torches, then have walls covered with Hieroglyphs

Nylonathetep on
    714353-1.png
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I swear there was a GC quote a couple months (at least) back about their change in philosophy for quest/leveling gear in Cataclysm. I tried to find it but can't. Does anyone know what I'm talking about or am I crazy?

forty on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Syrdon wrote: »
    edit: from what I saw, I'd be surprised if you're keeping anything when an item comes by with mastery on it to replace it, especially after you get out of the starting zones. The 277 gear might stick around for a bit, but I doubt much else will.
    In theory, mastery isn't supposed to be straight up better than things like crit and haste, though. So you don't necessarily want to stack it everywhere you can. For some specs it will no doubt be worse than crit/haste when it's mathed out.

That's not to say that some specs won't find it to be the best rating stat after accuracy, though.

forty on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I was about level 74 I think in the Scarlet area of Dragon blight when I got the achievement spam of the allaince getting Naxx 10 done

There was a death knight allready level 80! Someone got realm first fishing when I installed the game!

I just feel it's a dumb idea because it favors those who exploit the game to level {The Paladin who got realm first on Windrunner did it in less than 8 hours!] I did take my time to do the quests and see the sites but it took me about 2 weeks

so what, though? It's a fun race, and for everyone who doesn't want to do it, it doesn't mean anything.

ed: also eight hours is pretty fast, but it's not 'exploiting.' The realm first 80 on dark iron was a feral in our guild, and I think he did it in like ten hours.
    "Pretty fast"? I'd like to know how you go from 70 to 80 without rest making levels in less than an hour.

forty on
  • Options
    SammichSammich Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    forty wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I was about level 74 I think in the Scarlet area of Dragon blight when I got the achievement spam of the allaince getting Naxx 10 done

There was a death knight allready level 80! Someone got realm first fishing when I installed the game!

I just feel it's a dumb idea because it favors those who exploit the game to level {The Paladin who got realm first on Windrunner did it in less than 8 hours!] I did take my time to do the quests and see the sites but it took me about 2 weeks

so what, though? It's a fun race, and for everyone who doesn't want to do it, it doesn't mean anything.

ed: also eight hours is pretty fast, but it's not 'exploiting.' The realm first 80 on dark iron was a feral in our guild, and I think he did it in like ten hours.
    "Pretty fast"? I'd like to know how you go from 70 to 80 without rest making levels in less than an hour.

Hell yes please.. spill the goods. Id LOVE to do that, cut it took me at least twice or prob 3 times the time to get from 70 to 80 and i had rest.

Sammich on
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I think it has to do with mob tagging and letting others murder the thing.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    I'm not sure what to think of Blizzard chastising people who are demanding for the thunder clap portion of heroic leap to come back, saying they should've been present to argue for the merits of it when people were arguing about the flaws.
    That post did seem out of character. It came across as "remember, we don't just design the game like the players want... except when we do sometimes."

forty on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Right, as far as I know these server first things involve an ungrouped team of people basically dragging the mark up in levels. 10 hours still sounds like bullshit if you break down the numbers required.

forty on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Right, as far as I know these server first things involve an ungrouped team of people basically dragging the mark up in levels. 10 hours still sounds like bullshit if you break down the numbers required.

Well, I think the idea is it also let's you complete quests super fast.

shryke on
  • Options
    NeylaNeyla Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    MMO-Champion:
    Bobble wrote: »
    captaink wrote: »

Is there any relevant description to copy/paste for us work filter folks, or just a quick one-liner? Much appreciated if someone can do so <3
    Zalazane's Fall and Operation Gnomeregan now on live servers
    The first part of the Cataclysm prologue just started on live servers in the US and should be deployed in Europe tomorrow after the maintenance. Alliance player will find the Operation Gnomeregan event in Dun Morogh and Horde players should go to Durotar for Zalazane's fall. See the quest links below for more information.

Vol'jin Calls for Zalazane's Fall
    Operation: Gnomeregan Imminent
    Cataclysm Prologue - Gnomeregan and the Echo Isles

Important - The events are fairly short and entertaining, I really suggest that you go play them on live servers instead of checking the screenshots.

I'll copy/paste the links once they load properly for me @ work.

Neyla on
    13142111181576.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Opty wrote: »
    As players we will always value consistency over randomness so we can predict and measure our output but Blizzard does not want you to have consistency specifically so your rotation is altered by the randomness and your skill comes into play with how you react to those random events.
    Except that the talents in question let you get that consistency if you just max them out.

forty on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Dac wrote: »
    for those of you with beta access

how much mileage will i get out of my S8 PVP gear before it becomes obsolete

None.

goddamnit

i leveled comfortably to 80 in my S3/S4 stuff
    This is because WotLK quest itemization was the biggest joke since vanilla WoW. It is seriously terrible beyond belief and I'd like to know who was in charge of making it so shitty.

forty on
  • Options
    NeylaNeyla Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    RE: Vol'jin Calls for Zalazane's Fall (from Offical WoW site)
    "Zalazane Must Fall!" Cries Vol'jin
    Embedded on the coast of Durotar, the tiny troll Village of Sen'jin is bursting with recent activity. In what some claim is a retort to the overblown assertions of the vertically-challenged High Tinker Mekkatorque, Troll Chieftain Vol'jin has announced his intention to "honor de ancestors n' take back da 'omeland, mon." The call has been given, and the scattered Darkspear tribe has begun to gather at the once-sleepy location. Now the primal rhythm of beating drums and strange clouds of acrid smoke drift aloft deep into the night, arguably a sign of celebration and preparation for an impending offensive.

With the full support of Thrall and his counterparts, Vol'jin is calling upon all factions of the Horde to prepare for an assault on Echo Isles and the twisted witch doctor Zalazane. He will pay for his crimes against the Darkspears and the land bestowed upon them by Thrall! As explained by Vol'jin in the demand for Zalazane's fall today, honorable members of the Horde passing through the village proper -- whether they've never slain a boar in their lives or are the subject of every dragon's nightmare -- will be given a chance to help their upstanding troll brothers in what will surely be the most brutal of attacks. But first there must be preparation. With the Echo Isles on the line, no detail is too small, no spoken word too trivial. And for that reason the noted troll shaman, Vanira, will get adventurers started on the monumental tasks ahead.

Using sacred totemic rituals, Vanira needs frogs for her agenda. It is unclear of her exact intentions with these amphibious lurkers of Sen'jin, but there appears to be a bat handler standing by. Could it be that frogs will soon rain down from the heavens upon the Echo Isles? When asked for further comment, Vanira only remarked that she's seeking "da perfect spies." It seems war is sometimes won with even the most unlikely of arsenals. Spying on the enemy, however, is only the beginning. Vol'jin has spoken of a most-trusted trainer of reinforcements, Champion Uru'zin, who will guide new recruits of all ranges of experience into battle-hardened Darkspear warriors. "Trollin' for volunteers," as Vol'jin remarked, will be a key component to building a strike force capable of overthrowing Zalazane's hexed Darkspears.

Vol'jin argues that the spirits are on the side of his Darkspear tribe. Can animistic beliefs truly manifest into proven battle leverage against Zalazane? Perhaps only Vanira and her beguiled spies can answer this. But it is rumored that, long ago, a tribe of troll druids once called the Echo Isles home. If ever there was a time for good omens such as this, it is now. Only if the spirits truly are on the side of the son of Sen'jin, reportedly only a phenomenon that Witch Doctor Hez'tok can decipher, then the assault will commence! Those who assist Hez'tok in his ceremony will be adorned with Darkspear Pride, allowing adventurers the ability to take on the form of an elite Darkspear Warrior during battle. Wearing such battle garb is an honor to the ancestors of a people long persecuted and plagued by war between tribes.

Should the spirits give their blessing to Vol'jin, Champion Uru'zin will call for all seasoned veterans of the Horde levels 75-80 to aid in the attack. If "at last, everythin' be ready," as Vol'jin put it, his plan is to launch a full assault from the shores of Sen'jin village. Vol'jin exclaimed in his call for such an assault today, "come, now! Join in de liberation of de Echo Isles! Zalazane will fall!" He's gone so far as to offer a particularly rare Sen'jin Overcloak to those who help bring Zalazane down. Even still, sources report that this foe possesses powerful voodoo and black magic.

Preparations for Zalazane's fall are underway, but will it be enough to best this witch doctor? It's time, proud members of the Horde, to stand with your disaffected troll brethren and recognize the full might of the Darkspear tribe!

RE: Operation: Gnomeregan Imminent (same source as above)
    "Operation: Gnomeregan Imminent," Says High Tinker Mekkatorque
    After rumors spread throughout Kharanos and Ironforge about Mekgineer Thermaplugg preparing his irradiated soldiers to meet the growing gnomish clamoring for the reclamation of their once-great city, High Tinker Mekkatorque today exclaimed Operation: Gnomeregan to be imminent, describing his former ally Thermaplugg's irradiation of the beloved city as "a date which will live in a proportionate rate of increase in impropriety!" Speaking to a small conglomerate of various Alliance representatives, Mekkatorque pointed out that the time to strike is now. After all, Thermaplugg has eluded death for years to keep his reign over Gnomeregan; and with the fall of the Lich King, the last great threat to the citizens of Azeroth, the chance of any cataclysmic event taking place in the foreseeable future is "less than 12.7%," Mekkatorque's leading combat medical advisor Doc Cogspin purported.

With confirmation of the impending attack upon Gnomeregan comes your chance to get involved. Victory begins in Tinker Town! As great citizens of Azeroth and proud members of the Alliance, High Tinker Mekkatorque shall call upon you to serve his gnomes in exile. After all, the best offense is a good... offense! Whether you're a hero of your people and slayer of the most dreadful Burning Legion and Scourge creatures, or an up-and-coming adventurer, you can start by motivating your gnome brethren to unite behind the Gnomeregan banner. All it takes is a bit of finesse with the Motivate-a-Tron to call gnomes to action. The device works flawlessly! After all, what good would it be if such a powerful invention ended up turning Tinker Town citizens into little critters? Almost no good!

With fresh new recruits at your side, Mekkatorque will send you to Steelgrill's Depot, the staging grounds for the Gnomeregan offensive, where you'll meet Captain Sparknozzle. Do as he commands by completing Drill Sergeant Steamcrank's training and testing the operative capabilities of the brand new Mechano-Tanks before they're shipped to the front lines. Seizing Gnomeregan is more important than your fear of heights, which will be put to the test as you're summoned by Pilot Muzzlesprock to neutralize the irradiation vents bruising the Gnomeregan horizon in a critical Radiageigatron bombing run.

Every man, woman, and child is called to serve! Even if you're just barely getting your bearings on the art of combat in places like Kharanos or Elwynn Forest, you can do your part by helping fuel the war effort. A few dead boars leads to a few more comfortable siege pilot seats, and surely you can handle such a crucial step in the preparation for facing Thermaplugg's poisoned followers. You can even help master wordsmith Toby Zeigear in writing High Tinker Mekkatorque's battle cry. The road to success will be paved by you, and you'll be rewarded as such with a commendation of Gnomeregan Pride, allowing you to temporarily don the uniform of the elite Gnomeregan Infantry.

Thermaplugg is no trifling gnome, though his arrogance will be his undoing! Even still, he is undoubtedly preparing never-before-seen forces to meet this assault. Only the most battle-hardened heroes of the Alliance (levels 75-80) will be called to serve during Operation: Gnomeregan. When Mekkatorque determines the operation is ready to get underway, you must speak with him on the front lines before following him on a full assault of the enemy air field, surface command post, and into the tunnels of lower Gnomeregan. It is said that Thermaplugg has employed the use of so-called "Brag"-bots to spread his propaganda and hubris. Be not afraid of his words, fellow members of the Alliance. Stick with Mekkatorque and Doc Cogspin to ensure your safety. After all, you wouldn't want to lose the grace of Cogspin's Surgeon General's Warding. Gnomeregan must be cleansed of irradiation and the troggs it was intended to repel. It is time to reclaim this modern marvel and earn your very own Gnomeregan Overcloak, a testament to your historic bravery in the face of madness!

Operation: Gnomeregan is coming, and the Gnomeregan Exiles want YOU!

For those blocked by Evil work filters want to read more about the quests that went live.

Neyla on
    13142111181576.png
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Neyla, you are a gentleman (/lady) and a scholar. <3

Bobble on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Well, I think the idea is it also let's you complete quests super fast.
    Right, but there's still travel time and time spent actually doing the deeds, even if things are getting zerged down. You need, what, 1.5 to 2 million XP for typical WotLK levels? You'd need to be getting 150k-200k XP every 6 minutes, which is on the order of a quest turnin every minute. I don't really see how that's doable considering a lot of quests have at least a minute or two required just to ride out and back.

forty on
  • Options
    mturalonmturalon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    also keep in mind that a lot of the quests you are talking about are just "kill X number of Y" You can easily grab every quest in the zone and just tag every mob while the group kills and then turn in 10-15 at a time. I'd think the looting of each mob for the collection type quests is where the actual time comes into play.

mturalon on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    Well, I guess that's a decent reason to resub.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
This discussion has been closed.