As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] [Chat] Operation Bonergone

• Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The gnome event is worth it, to me, just for the Gnomification item.

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Why would anyone want to be a Gnome?

L Ron Howard on
  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Opinion time: So I am leveling a ench/LW ehn shaman(75) and when I do randoms and am skinning mobs, other skinners get upset that I am being greedy and hogging all the skins. Is there some sort of rule about this I missed, skinning mobs(besides the beast in UBRS) have always been a fastest click wins sort of event. Am I being a huge prick or are they just whining bitches?

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
    edited September 2010
    Why would anyone want to be a Gnome?

I am a collector of all things weird or fun. Being able to turn into a gnome is considered a weirdly fun item.

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Poketpixie wrote: »
    ...a Battle for the Undercity style event ensues...
    Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that

Panda4You on
  • Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Panda4You wrote: »
    Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that

It's worth it at least once horde-side-- I don't know where they've been keeping all the amazing VA's during WotLK, but they busted them out for the Echo Isles.

Grape Ape on
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Corehealer wrote: »
    My impressions of Operation Gnomeregan, written in a style reminiscent of Mekkatorque's battle plan:
    Phase 1: Talk to Mekkatorque, receive magic device for brainwashing Alliance gnome citizens into being drafted into his army against their will, bring 5 of said gnomes out to another guy, who sends you off to be drafted as well.

Phase 2: Everyone click on a drill sergeant guy and do as he does. Salute, cheer, roar, etc. Dance fools, DANCE!

Phase 3: Go test out three machines that you will not use during the event, and skip quest text you won't bother reading, then fly over a completely uninstanced and unchanged version of the area outside Gnomeregan, still teeming with non elite level 8 leper gnomes using shit swords and boards to hold us back from retaking the city despite our best efforts, and test three marked points on the mountain with green gas billowing out for radiation. Durp.

Phase 4: Test out parody speech excerpts from some of history and cinema's greatest speeches, redone in the context of the coming battle, and have them frowned upon by lowbie gnomes who don't give two shits about Mekkatorque's sudden interest in returning his people to Gnomeregan after 5 years of doing next to nothing. Then receive a cookie in the form of a blue with a 4 hour cooldown, possessing a transformative power that lets you look like a Gnomish Infantry unit. Yippee.

Phase 5: Take a flying machine to the staging area in the now revamped starting area outside Gnomeregan, teeming with redone 80 elite versions of the Gnomeregan trash you've killed a hundred times before, and marvel at Mekkatorque's new voice actor's brilliant oratory and flair as he gives an ignored, "improved" speech to motivate players into aiding in this one time, lootless event. And, for your viewing pleasure, stock models and animations you've seen before, used again to save money, like Blizzard is really hurting for that.

Phase 6: After a few minutes, a Battle for the Undercity style event ensues within the instanced Gnomeregan area, starting on the surface and proceeding down into the first few tunnels and rooms of the fallen city. After stumbling around in the clusterfuck that half heartedly follows Mekkatorque and captures command points and kills elites as a mass of blind AoE death, feel free to start or join a ragtag raid midway through as everyone attempts to figure out wtf is going on and getting a semblance of order, just in case epics are around that next corner.

Phase 7: More AoE insanity and blind murdering of troggs and leper gnomes alike en masse, ending in a few quick, admittedly enjoyable quips between Mekkatorque's new voice actor and Thermaplugg's new voice actor. Stand near a giant bomb made of interconnected green canisters and pipes, filled with radiation, and watch Mekkatorque try to disarm it with various small, mundane noob items. Thermaplugg manages to reset factory settings, and detonates the bomb mere seconds after you get ported to an outside view of the area, so you can watch Gnomeregan get nuked.

Phase 8: Port back to Tinker Town, with your camera annoyingly locked in first person view from the nuke scene, hand in quest, receive achievement and cheap "Thermaplugg wins again with convenient plot device, but we shall win the day yet! Just give it a few months until after you've bought Cataclysm." Now let the fact you wasted 20 minutes on a Gnomish Rickroll sink in, and log out to try and reset your camera pan.

Is that really what happens? Man that sucks. The troll event is way cooler.
    We get to throw frogs from bats, turn into the ZG panther boss to fight a tiger, and our BftUC event has GHOSTS. Plus, we actually win without needing any stupid "mind control".

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Panda4You wrote: »
    Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that

What the fuck did you expect?

shryke on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Zython wrote: »
    Corehealer wrote: »
    My impressions of Operation Gnomeregan, written in a style reminiscent of Mekkatorque's battle plan:
    Phase 1: Talk to Mekkatorque, receive magic device for brainwashing Alliance gnome citizens into being drafted into his army against their will, bring 5 of said gnomes out to another guy, who sends you off to be drafted as well.

Phase 2: Everyone click on a drill sergeant guy and do as he does. Salute, cheer, roar, etc. Dance fools, DANCE!

Phase 3: Go test out three machines that you will not use during the event, and skip quest text you won't bother reading, then fly over a completely uninstanced and unchanged version of the area outside Gnomeregan, still teeming with non elite level 8 leper gnomes using shit swords and boards to hold us back from retaking the city despite our best efforts, and test three marked points on the mountain with green gas billowing out for radiation. Durp.

Phase 4: Test out parody speech excerpts from some of history and cinema's greatest speeches, redone in the context of the coming battle, and have them frowned upon by lowbie gnomes who don't give two shits about Mekkatorque's sudden interest in returning his people to Gnomeregan after 5 years of doing next to nothing. Then receive a cookie in the form of a blue with a 4 hour cooldown, possessing a transformative power that lets you look like a Gnomish Infantry unit. Yippee.

Phase 5: Take a flying machine to the staging area in the now revamped starting area outside Gnomeregan, teeming with redone 80 elite versions of the Gnomeregan trash you've killed a hundred times before, and marvel at Mekkatorque's new voice actor's brilliant oratory and flair as he gives an ignored, "improved" speech to motivate players into aiding in this one time, lootless event. And, for your viewing pleasure, stock models and animations you've seen before, used again to save money, like Blizzard is really hurting for that.

Phase 6: After a few minutes, a Battle for the Undercity style event ensues within the instanced Gnomeregan area, starting on the surface and proceeding down into the first few tunnels and rooms of the fallen city. After stumbling around in the clusterfuck that half heartedly follows Mekkatorque and captures command points and kills elites as a mass of blind AoE death, feel free to start or join a ragtag raid midway through as everyone attempts to figure out wtf is going on and getting a semblance of order, just in case epics are around that next corner.

Phase 7: More AoE insanity and blind murdering of troggs and leper gnomes alike en masse, ending in a few quick, admittedly enjoyable quips between Mekkatorque's new voice actor and Thermaplugg's new voice actor. Stand near a giant bomb made of interconnected green canisters and pipes, filled with radiation, and watch Mekkatorque try to disarm it with various small, mundane noob items. Thermaplugg manages to reset factory settings, and detonates the bomb mere seconds after you get ported to an outside view of the area, so you can watch Gnomeregan get nuked.

Phase 8: Port back to Tinker Town, with your camera annoyingly locked in first person view from the nuke scene, hand in quest, receive achievement and cheap "Thermaplugg wins again with convenient plot device, but we shall win the day yet! Just give it a few months until after you've bought Cataclysm." Now let the fact you wasted 20 minutes on a Gnomish Rickroll sink in, and log out to try and reset your camera pan.

Is that really what happens? Man that sucks. The troll event is way cooler.
    We get to throw frogs from bats, turn into the ZG panther boss to fight a tiger, and our BftUC event has GHOSTS. Plus, we actually win without needing any stupid "mind control".

Devs are biased in favour of Horde then, I guess. Need to troll them stinky Alliance dogs with a Gnomish rickroll.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Alliance always gets the short end of the stick in terms of scripted events.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Opinion time: So I am leveling a ench/LW ehn shaman(75) and when I do randoms and am skinning mobs, other skinners get upset that I am being greedy and hogging all the skins. Is there some sort of rule about this I missed, skinning mobs(besides the beast in UBRS) have always been a fastest click wins sort of event.
    Yeah, if you're a dick.

forty on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    People always zerg the skins in my experience, and I've rarely seen anyone even mention it.

I had one healer complain once because I was tanking and he had to keep following and healing me rather than skinning his share, but, oh well.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    edited September 2010
    People always zerg the skins in my experience, and I've rarely seen anyone even mention it.
    And people are dicks.

QED

forty on
    edited September 2010
    I've found having the skins be FFA is a lot better in the long run. If you're on top of it you can get a lot of skins. If not, so what, you can get a ton outside of the instance too.

Skins really aren't worth making a deal.

Beyond Normal on
    edited September 2010
    Sounds like equal justification not to come posting that people are whining when someone asks for you to share them.

forty on
    edited September 2010
    forty wrote: »
    Sounds like equal justification not to come posting that people are whining when someone asks for you to share them.

I didn't?

Beyond Normal on
    edited September 2010
    forty is 100% correct here. You can either agree to share them equally or you can be a complete mouthbreathing shit-swallowing sister-fucker and steal as many as you can get.

shryke on
  • drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    People usually ask if there are other skinners in a group first then go happily skinning on their way. Or at least in my battle group they do. Maybe they're all gentlemanly?

drunkenpandaren on
    Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    hrm, do you have to be 80 to participate in the end of the troll island events? the quest from the warlord is greyed out.

EDIT: Nevermind 75-80.

Bleh, gotta get my warrior up 2 levels. annoying.

Will this thing be live till cata goes live or?

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• danxdanx Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ye do we know how long this is going to last? I want my warrior to do it but she's only 48.

danx on
    edited September 2010

I didn't?
    Not "you" in the literal interpretation. "You" as in the generic poster. Such as the guy who did on the previous page.

forty on
    edited September 2010
    People usually ask if there are other skinners in a group first then go happily skinning on their way. Or at least in my battle group they do. Maybe they're all gentlemanly?

I always ask, but some people just don't speak up. It's only happened a few times. Like I said, I don't make a deal out of any type of getherable item in an instance, since I can just fly around for a few minutes and get more than I could have in that instance.

Oh noes, someone took that node of cobalt my life is over woe is me QQ. I'm not there to gather, I'm there to kill mans. Skins/herbs/ore is simply a bonus.

Beyond Normal on
    edited September 2010

I didn't?
    Not "you" in the literal interpretation. "You" as in the generic poster. Such as the guy who did on the previous page.

Gotcha. Back to the usual nonsense!

Beyond Normal on
    edited September 2010
    Never had a problem getting skins. Usually myself and the other skinner(s) end up fighting for it Diablo style, which makes it awesome. First to click wins.

L Ron Howard on
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Another skinner in the instance seems to be somewhat unusual.

Anyway, there's some good reason to hurry just because if you are the only skinner, it's likely you'll get a bit behind the rest of the group.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
    edited September 2010
    End wrote: »
    Another skinner in the instance seems to be somewhat unusual.

It happens more than I'd like, but it's usually not a problem.

Beyond Normal on
  • naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So I just finished the Echo Isles event.
    Then I ran over and, sure enough, all the voodoo trolls and Zalazane were still there.

Gee Gee.

naengwen on
    edited September 2010
    The Gnomer event:
    was merely a setback! We got kicked out of there during our invasion, so I guess the real retaking of Gnomer happens right before, or during, the Cataclysm.

Beyond Normal on
    edited September 2010
    The Gnomer event:
    was merely a setback! We got kicked out of there during our invasion, so I guess the real retaking of Gnomer happens right before, or during, the Cataclysm.

If you watch the race intros, you'll see that the gnomes have reclaimed the surface and now the starting gnomes quests send you down to clear out Gnomer.

That pre-instance area that used to be full of troggs is now the Gnome starting zone.

shryke on
    edited September 2010
    shryke wrote: »
    The Gnomer event:

If you watch the race intros, you'll see that the gnomes have reclaimed the surface and now the starting gnomes quests send you down to clear out Gnomer.

That pre-instance area that used to be full of troggs is now the Gnome starting zone.

I know that, Gnomer is a pretty big place. It's like Scarlet Monestary. Some of it is in Tirisfal, and some of it is instanced.

Beyond Normal on
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So, with the Gnomer pre-area being used for lowbie Gnomes, is Blizzard going to break or move the teleporter from Booty Bay? I assume they don't want high-level Horde popping into a starting zone. :)

Also, when my druid goes skinning in an instance, I usually stick to the mobs that are mine to loot...if the other ones don't get skinned, I go back for them (if I have the chance).

Doctor Detroit on
  • DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That's why I love my Shaman skinner/leatherworker. I put earth shield on the tank and he can do whatever he wants while I skin things!

Dranyth on
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So, with the Gnomer pre-area being used for lowbie Gnomes, is Blizzard going to break or move the teleporter from Booty Bay? I assume they don't want high-level Horde popping into a starting zone. :)
    Even on PvP relms, 1-10 zones are always PvE style, though that doesn't stop people from tricking new players into flagging themselves in the existing zones. Makes it slightly more convenient, I suppose.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2010
    Or they could sit there and grief because it's the easiest way..and easily kill the quest givers and starting mobs, or named mobs, or what have you.
    That would be my only concern.

L Ron Howard on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    How long is the event going to be around?

Brainleech on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    I doubt they'll end it any time soon, as it'd be stupid to eliminate what meager scraps of content they game has right now.

You know, they could maintain a better number of subs by giving beta invites to everyone. How many people would resub if it meant playing in beta? Quite a lot, I'm sure.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I probably would.

This event thing has generated zero interest on my part, however.

Senshi on
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'd be surprised if these events weren't still around a week before 4.0 comes out, so I'll just resub then.

815165 on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    A new raid boss didn't get me to resub, and the rewards are...a costume!

Maybe you assholes should consider druids when pulling this crap.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    What do the event rewards look like?

reVerse on
This discussion has been closed.