As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MMA X: Captain Guillotine: Fear the man who has practiced one choke 10,000 times

• DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Holy shit guys.. did you hear the news?

Todd Duffee has been cut from the ufc.
    Link.

Details are still a bit sketchy. But it seems like he did something to piss off Zuffa higher ups.

Dangerbird on
  • doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    doug_grammar on
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Dangerbird wrote: »

Link.

Details are still a bit sketchy. But it seems like he did something to piss off Zuffa higher ups.

Turn purple due to lack of oxygen and get one punch knocked out bye a sloppy fat dude?

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
    his own manager called him an ass?

Dynagrip on
  • ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    his own manager called him an ass?

Generally not a good thing, I would imagine.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    Dangerbird wrote: »

Link.

Turn purple due to lack of oxygen and get one punch knocked out bye a sloppy fat dude?

Still one of my favorite knockouts ever, such a cool fight since (if I remember correctly) Rogan was talking about how he was changing color.

Is it wrong for me to hope that Shark Fights (with Bas) become the number two promotion? I need more Bas in my MMA.

Metal Jared on
    BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This was my first thought. :^:

Also that King Mo is a total douchebag.

edit: holy poop Joe Lauzon vs George Sotiropoulos booked for UFC 123!

815165 on
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    815165 wrote: »
    This was my first thought. :^:

Also that King Mo is a total douchebag.

edit: holy poop Joe Lauzon vs George Sotiropoulos booked for UFC 123!

Lauzon gets destroyed?

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    [Tycho?] wrote: »

Cool, thanks. Thats... a very odd thing to put on a shirt.

It should have ended with "209, bitch!" instead of the Welterweight Champion of the World thing.

What I don't get was he paid to do this? I assume he's friends with Nick Diaz but where did he go to make that shirt? Did Nick write it? Are these available to the public?

I hope this doesn't start a trend with fighters wearing tl;dr shirts during their interviews

No I do not believe they are friends. I think he was wearing it ironically... because he wants to fight him.

Also, I've been getting better at controlling people with my rubber guard. It is soooo important to lock their one arm down to the mat and keep it on the mat. Thanks to this I got my second tap via Gogoplata!

DemonStacey on
    edited September 2010
    DaemonSadi wrote: »

Cool, thanks. Thats... a very odd thing to put on a shirt.

It should have ended with "209, bitch!" instead of the Welterweight Champion of the World thing.

What I don't get was he paid to do this? I assume he's friends with Nick Diaz but where did he go to make that shirt? Did Nick write it? Are these available to the public?

I hope this doesn't start a trend with fighters wearing tl;dr shirts during their interviews

No I do not believe they are friends. I think he was wearing it ironically... because he wants to fight him.

Also, I've been getting better at controlling people with my rubber guard. It is soooo important to lock their one arm down to the mat and keep it on the mat. Thanks to this I got my second tap via Gogoplata!

Congrats, man. It always feels nice to get a technique down.

I'm doing a NAGA tournament on October 2nd and all I've really been working on is escapes and passes. I figure that if I have those down, then the submissions will come easily enough. I still get tapped by the guys I train with every time (they've all been training for years, whereas I've only been training this year), but I always pull out at least one new trick that they comment on when they're done choking me or yanking my arm out of it's socket. Feels good to know I'm getting better.

And speaking of tournaments...for those of you that train in BJJ like myself and are trying to find tournaments in your area, where do you find your information? I've been looking around on Google for the past 30 minutes trying to find a site that has a comprehensive list of tournaments around the southeast and I simply can't find anything. I've found plenty of tournaments that are happening in California or on other continents, but efforts to find stuff in my area have been very fruitless.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
    edited September 2010
    Lauzon gets destroyed?
    I think so, too, but it'll be a chance to see George's stand up more.

815165 on
  • PookiepooPookiepoo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Todd Duffee's manager didn't call him an ass. MMA mania loves shocking headlines that misrepresent actual quotes. His manager called Duffee an "asset".

"Well, I'm not sure exactly what the problem or problems were. I tryed [sic] hard to avoid, but Dana wasn't listening. It unfortunate, but Todd's an asset and he will keep fighting. He's a young kid that gets a lot attention."

I am amazed by the number of people on MMA mania that can't read. Mania also got reactions like this before 117 with "Silva out of 117!!!"... referring to lesser Silva.

Pookiepoo on
    Steam: Pookie GG Now Playing: BattleTech, Divinity Original Sin 2, MechWarrior 5
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That's pretty hilarious, actually.

adytum on
  • PookiepooPookiepoo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Granted, from what I've seen of him, he is a bit of an ass.

Pookiepoo on
    Steam: Pookie GG Now Playing: BattleTech, Divinity Original Sin 2, MechWarrior 5
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So apparently Damien Maia is fighting Kendall Grove at the next TUF finale. I can safely say that's not really a fight I want to see, unless it goads Maia into using his jits again.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Grove-Announces-Bout-Against-Maia-at-TUF-12-Finale-26769Story here.

Peen on
  • fmz65fmz65 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    What was so ridiculous about entrance 10?

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
  • [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Peen wrote: »
    So apparently Damien Maia is fighting Kendall Grove at the next TUF finale. I can safely say that's not really a fight I want to see, unless it goads Maia into using his jits again.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Grove-Announces-Bout-Against-Maia-at-TUF-12-Finale-26769Story here.

Sounds like a good fight to me. Maia will almost certainly use his BJJ, unless Grove can finish him early while standing. A bit of a peculiar match-up though, Maia was supposed to fight Belcher wasn't he? Now that is an interesting fight, one with title contention possibilities. Grove seems like a step down in competition.

edit: although looking at their records, I see that Grove did beat Belcher back in the day. Both are quite different fighters now though.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
    edited September 2010
    ChillyWilly on
    edited September 2010
    Peen wrote: »

Sounds like a good fight to me. Maia will almost certainly use his BJJ, unless Grove can finish him early while standing. A bit of a peculiar match-up though, Maia was supposed to fight Belcher wasn't he? Now that is an interesting fight, one with title contention possibilities. Grove seems like a step down in competition.

edit: although looking at their records, I see that Grove did beat Belcher back in the day. Both are quite different fighters now though.

Maia was supposed to fight Belcher in the upcoming fight night but Belcher got hurt and they put Marquardt/Palhares on instead. I don't quite get why they're shelving Maia that long, I guess Belcher was really hurt?

Peen on
    edited September 2010
    A while ago, it was confirmed that Belcher was facing potential early retirement. No point in having plans for a fighter if he can't fight.

doug_grammar on
    edited September 2010
    That's right, I remember that now; sucks for him, I hope for his sake that it's not that bad.

Peen on
    edited September 2010
    Brandon Vera vs. Thiago Silva is set for UFC 125 in January.

I'm interested.

ChillyWilly on
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've decided to go ahead and continue to hold out hope for Brandon Vera. Someday.....

Yougottawanna on
  • CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Why is Bradon Vera still in the UFC?

He beat a Frank Mir, who according to his doctors, shouldnt have been walking yet.

Then he won some fights by being really boring

Then he was all DURR ILL BE THE FIRST TO HAVE HW AND LHW TITLES AT SAME TIME DURRR

And the entire time he was annoying.

But Werdum loses one fight....

CangoFett on
    edited September 2010
    CangoFett wrote: »

He beat a Frank Mir, who according to his doctors, shouldnt have been walking yet.

Then he was all DURR ILL BE THE FIRST TO HAVE HW AND LHW TITLES AT SAME TIME DURRR

Werdum deserved to be cut for that fight. I don't know what he was doing in that cage, but it wasn't fighting.

werdumslap.gif

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh Georges. <3

I'll give TUF an episode or two to prove itself, but I've voiced before that I believe they seriously need to revamp their format to produce better fighters / fights.

adytum on
    edited September 2010
    The last season could have been a lot better if everyone didn't get injured. The HW season was stupid all round though; we knew the coaches weren't going to fight for ages so the dumb shit talking was pointless, we knew Kimbo sucked so the dumb "will he get back in??!?!?!?!?!" teasers every week were pointless, we knew most of the other guys had little to no experience or cardio so the fights were largely a case of winner was whoever gassed second. Plus it was obvious Big Country was going to walk it; he didn't even really try until the final. :x

Kind of had to get that out.

815165 on
    edited September 2010

Werdum deserved to be cut for that fight. I don't know what he was doing in that cage, but it wasn't fighting.

werdumslap.gif

Man, he came back and made vera and gonzaga look like children.

Then lost to one of the top up and commers in the HW divison, known for his amazing hands, by getting knocked out.
    OH NO HES USELESS

Then beats Fedor

Whereas Vera's last 2 fights that werent either a loss, or a win by decision, were against Mike patt ( who lost both his fights in the UFC by TKO) and a still pretty gimped Frank Mir

Oh, but Vera also beat Loser Silva, thus named because he lost all 3 of his UFC fights

Oh, he beat Eilers who lost 3 of his 4 UFC fights

Vera has had 2 semi impressive fights, both of which requires an asterick on the impressive part.

Werdum has 1 bad night against Arlovski, and then get wtfpwnt by one of the top contenders, and they let him go.

Its ridiculous.

Its not even so much that they let Werdum go that bothers me, its WHY DOES BRANDON VERA STILL GET PAYED TO FIGHT!?

CangoFett on
    edited September 2010
    Then lost to one of the top up and commers in the HW divison, known for his amazing hands, by getting knocked out.
    OH NO HES USELESS
    Yeah, it's weird. His losses are to JDS, Arlovski, Big Nog and Kharitonov (and he was only finished in one of those) there's no shame at all in losing to those guys.

815165 on
    edited September 2010
    Remember fellas, it's not always about the record. Whenever there's money involved, you can sure bet that it could be the problem too.

Basically, after Werdum's lost, it "warranted" a renegotiation of his contract in the UFC, and the two couldn't come to an agreement. Seeing how UFC has full power, they dropped him.

It was supposedly about his marketability. I can see why. More people know Fedor's name than the name of the man who actually beat him.

Ahem... MMA NEWS 9/8/10

Remember to drink your water if you ate alot of sodium, people. God damn leg cramps ruining my training.

That is all.

doug_grammar on
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    adytum wrote: »
    Oh Georges. <3

I'll give TUF an episode or two to prove itself, but I've voiced before that I believe they seriously need to revamp their format to produce better fighters / fights.

To be fair, last TUF produced Big Country. Also, Madsen is 3-0 in the UFC now and then there's Brendan Schaub who's had 2 TKO victories in his last 2 fights in the UFC. (his only loss coming from Roy)

Overall, 3 prospects from one season is an okay result to be honest

[edit] I forgot about Matt "meathead" Mitrione who destroyed Kimbo "internet champion" Slice and is currently 2-0 in the UFC

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    WTB [Fighter's Union]

Inquisitor77 on
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Did you guys watch Inside MMA last week? They did a thing on legalising MMA in New York. That politician against it had a monologue. He basically just made shit up as he went along and even argued against Pride rules. It made me feel smug and secure in my position on the safety of mixed martial art.

Also, Randy Couture was there.

Addendum: Dana White has been invited to speak at Oxford University.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
    edited September 2010
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    Do you want to be a fucking graduate?

815165 on
  • Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Really? wow, UFC gets uber credibility from that.

I wonder how his "style" will go down with those guys.

Venkman90 on
    edited September 2010
    Venkman90 wrote: »

Really? wow, UFC gets uber credibility from that.

I wonder how his "style" will go down with those guys.

He's speaking to the debate club (they call it the debate society) specifically, which is still a pretty big deal.

"The society has been known for its ties to the upper tiers of politics, and past speakers include Sir Winston Churchill, Robert Kennedy and Yasser Arafat. The late Benazir Bhutto was once club president when she was a student, long before she was prime minister of Pakistan.

Other past speakers at the club are former U.S. presidents Jimmy Carter, Richard Nixon and Ronald Reagan, as well as Malcolm X, Stephen Hawking and Albert Einstein."

Peen on
    edited September 2010

:lol:

ChillyWilly on
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Neli wrote: »
    Oh Georges. <3

To be fair, last TUF produced Big Country. Also, Madsen is 3-0 in the UFC now and then there's Brendan Schaub who's had 2 TKO victories in his last 2 fights in the UFC. (his only loss coming from Roy)

[edit] I forgot about Matt "meathead" Mitrione who destroyed Kimbo "internet champion" Slice and is currently 2-0 in the UFC

i dunno if you can count roy
    roy was already in the big time so to speak, as he had already headlined a major PPV show and held a the IFL championship belt
    this was just his way of getting into UFC

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    edited September 2010
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    Neli wrote: »
    Oh Georges. <3

i dunno if you can count roy
    roy was already in the big time so to speak, as he had already headlined a major PPV show and held a the IFL championship belt
    this was just his way of getting into UFC

Beat me to it. He was a heavy favorite coming in to the show, simply because he was already a pro fighting at the highest levels.

Ahahah

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
    edited September 2010
    They should renegotiate Bradon Veras contract.

Until he wins a ____of the night, he should have to pay all UFC PPV buyers 50 dollars for each PPV he is on.

And free nachos to the fans for the cable tv events

CangoFett on