As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ys Seven - Dogi is a brawler / Chronicles bumping into stores

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Can someone who has been playing Seven talk about the crafting system? I want to know how it works. Like do you collect items and see an NPC who will craft / upgrade with specific formulas, or do you have to find out the formulas yourself, or what?

Henroid on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Vendors know some formulas, which you learn when you look at the list. Basically you just collect up enough monster drops and junk and pay a small fee to have the thing crafted.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Is it the main system of getting items (or the good times)?

Henroid on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    No, you can avoid synthing anything. The weapons you can make really only exist to learn new skills. Armor is just whatever. They're never much better than what you can buy. There's also a quest to make some medicines and that quest looks to be a pain in the ass. It seems to require a bunch of rare seeds and I'm short by like four for each one.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Oh. Damn. I was not expecting that for a plot twist. Huh. Well you surprised me game, you were pretty cliche up to this point and this was still kind of cliche, but I wasn't expecting it.

Gilder on
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    God damn it, the music in Ys games is so good. Listening to the song Gilder posted has got me really pumped for my CE getting here sometime next week.

Speaking of awesome Ys music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN3CGAU4Z0g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6G_nFcAjDk

Holy shit I'm pumped to play this, even if it's just to hear the music.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Does this follow Napishtim story-wise at all or is it completely disconnected? I never did beat Napishtim.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Generally speaking, the Ys games don't relate too much, Adol's usually getting shipwrecked in some new corner of the world, but according to Gilder's spoiler, they're at least slightly related.

Napishtim was awesome, though, you should beat it.

Kainy on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Kainy wrote: »
    Generally speaking, the Ys games don't relate too much, Adol's usually getting shipwrecked in some new corner of the world, but according to Gilder's spoiler, they're at least slightly related.

Napishtim was awesome, though, you should beat it.

I did get really far and I have it on the PSP. And I'm sick. Maybe I'll lie in bed and play through it today.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I decided to just buy it as a dl title, playing through it now. I have to say, I like the translation. Dogi keeps ribbing Adol about his luck with boats, he swears where appropriate, and in general the text flows well. Someone mentioned in the thread earlier that you can't skip in engine cutscenes, but if you hold down Circle you'll see a >> in the corner showing that you're fast-forwarding through the animations and dialog.

Comparisons to Napishtim and Oath - I do kinda miss the jump button, but the dash/dodge makes up for it. Enemies drop a lot of items, which seems like kind of a hassle to pick up, but the AI is pretty good about scooping up anything in reach. The multi-character party works really well - even at low health they're good at staying alive, and switching is pretty easy. If there is any fault in the system, I kinda wish that when you switched active characters, they switch positions. Sometimes when the camera jumps from one to the other, I have to refocus. But that's very minor, and I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Edit: Also, I suspect Ocean Group may be behind the voice acting. Adol sounds suspiciously like Megaman.

Edit 2: There are some pretty good jokes in here, too. Nothing like the in-your-face pop-culture of the lat 90's Working Designs translations, but there's a guy at the bar who says something like "That girl in the town center selling flowers sure is pretty. What was her name again? Eris? Arith?"

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I have finished the game. Goddamn. Goddamn this game was good. I had so much fun playing it. The only problems are mission 7 and that if you want the best equipment on everybody you are going to grind so much. You need 450 soul stones (last dungeon only item) just for the weapons, and then about another 100 for the armors. Plus you'll need 60 titano spines which are incredibly rare, I only got 20 of them naturally and 20 through a treasure chest. Aside from that though I loved this game. I'll start Napishtim soon as well.

Oh and by the way, the computer can't die from what I could tell. They always got knocked down to 1 HP. The only time they might die is if they get frozen or petrified.

Edit: Oh and I forgot that the 3rd altar boss sucks. He's way harder than any of the other bosses, because for that point in the game he has too much health. Later on you take out 80k like it's nothing, but 30k at that point is just too much with his defense. One or the other needed to go.

Gilder on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Do you eventually get to choose who comes with you? I assume it's always Adol, Dogi, and a 3rd character, right?

Delzhand on
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ugh... Gilder, you make me want to buy this game right now.

I don't need another game right now. I've got enough on my plate.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm willing to wager that there'll be at least three women who are in love with Adol at the end of this game too. Freakin' Lady Killer...

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    And then he'll up and leave them to go get ship wrecked again.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You can choose whatever party setup you want once you have more than 3 characters. I kept Adol in there just because but you didn't seem to have to.

shadowane on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    shadowane wrote: »
    You can choose whatever party setup you want once you have more than 3 characters. I kept Adol in there just because but you didn't seem to have to.

I just got the bow girl in my party, and her voice is really annoying. I'd rather have Elk in my party but I can't seem to change it. I assume that you mean at some point you have more than 3 characters with you and you can select who you want.

Also, while looking through the options, I thought it was pretty funny that they gave you the option to turn off just Adol's voice, since the game makes so much of him not having any dialogue.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Eventually you'll get a total of 7 characters. Adol can also never be removed from the party except for one section. He's the only one that needs to stay though, and right before the halfway point you're going to open up a bunch of weapon options for him. For the point you're at you can't have Elk because he's not with you anymore. He just decided to stick around in Shannoa. Don't worry though, they didn't create a bunch of characters just so they could fight for one dungeon.

Oh and also if you just got the bow girl then go get quest 7. If you finish the cave you're fucked and you'll forever have a failed quest until you start a new game. There is no NG+ for this so you can't correct it that way.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I never actually tried removing Adol just figured you could so sorry about that mis-information.

shadowane on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    It's kinda funny that Adol is the only serious take of the hero who loves adventure more than women, when I've seen that caricature parodied a bunch across many mediums.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I only tried removing him when I had situations where Elk and Aisha needed a level to catch up or something. I really don't like Adol with a strike weapon and I liked having all 3 attack types at once.

Also, there's not a whole lot of girls falling for Adol in this. There's like two? Maybe? Just Aisha and Tia, but Aisha not really and Tia.... she's got her own thing going on between her and her CHILDHOOD FRIEND.

Gilder on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Adol has no time for women when there's worlds to save.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Adol has no time for women when there's worlds to save.

Wait, Ys is a sci-fi setting?

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Well, sort of. His world and Ys.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I better not push on this more without knowing the stories to every game in the series. <_<

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Gilder wrote: »
    Edit: Oh and I forgot that the 3rd altar boss sucks. He's way harder than any of the other bosses, because for that point in the game he has too much health. Later on you take out 80k like it's nothing, but 30k at that point is just too much with his defense. One or the other needed to go.

Fuck me, you're not kidding. When it took a full minute to whittle off about 2k I just put the PSP in sleep mode, because tomorrow I'm clearly going to have to improve my gear and gain some levels.

Edit: Flash Guard? Did the game tell me about this and I just missed it?

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    The in-game tutorial never teaches you about flash guarding. Just press L while holding R. You'll hold up your shield (Or something else if you're controlling somebody not Adol) with a quick flash. If you get hit while the shield is up you'll block the damage completely and gain a little extra gauge. If you get hit while raising it up I think it counts as a normal hit. However if you get hit while it's going down you're really screwed, because then the attack does double damage. And never, never do flash guards against attacks that stay focused on you. Like any kind of beam attack or slow moving projectile. You'll block one hit, but then get hit immediately afterward and take double damage. Guarding is only for things like smashes, swipes, punches and quick projectiles. Dodge everything else.

Edit: The 3rd altar boss is actually a good test subject for flash guarding. He has a bunch of attacks so you can see what works and what doesn't. If I'm remembering correctly the quick wind blades were good. The normal attacks were good. But things like the electric field? Bad. Very very bad.

Gilder on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It's so refreshing not to have voice acting in a game. Not to say it's bad, but I feel there's a time and place for it.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I just started playing Napishtim on PS2 recently. That was definitely not the time and place for it. These voices..... wow. Also I really wish Napishtim had a dodge button like 7. I feel like I have to just take almost every hit because all I can do is walk away or jump over them. There's no blocking or dodging or anything.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I made it through all of Ys 7 on normal difficulty without ever using Flash Guard. Don't know about harder difficulties, but dodge got me through everything.

shadowane on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I just started playing Napishtim on PS2 recently. That was definitely not the time and place for it. These voices..... wow. Also I really wish Napishtim had a dodge button like 7. I feel like I have to just take almost every hit because all I can do is walk away or jump over them. There's no blocking or dodging or anything.

Enter the Japanese voices "cheat" found here.

It'll make your life much better.

Kainy on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

The "dash" jump helps a lot, though.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, work on mastering that dash jump. Use it to get around quickly.

You'll have to use it with precision to get a lot of the neat items later, and it does function as a dodge moderately well.

Kainy on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

In the options menu there are separate volume sliders for music, sfx, and voice. Just put voice at 0.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    But some of the voices are hilariously bad. So I kind of want them. What actually bothers me the most is how the art for characters show up in the dialogue box. Because it seems like what they did was make the full character art a size that they could just crop out the head for. Then when they do the full character portrait they just used the shrunk down art and magnified it by 500%. It looks so blurry and horrible. I know the PS2 is ugly on good TVs, but in games like Disgaea the art looks fine. Not in Napishtim though.

Also how does the dash jump work? Because it seems like I'm doing it wrong as "performing" the dash makes me move at the same speed as I run. But there can't be that many ways to do "Hold a direction after attacking to dash, and then jump."

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    VI did have a great opening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzqOqfpOBy8

It's on the PSP version.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    That opening (both the movie and Release of the Far West Ocean) can be switched to in the PS2 version via the code entering thing.

Seriously, Gilder, enter the Japanese voices code. The original voices aren't bad at all.

Kainy on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Dash jumping is really fiddly in Napishtim. There's like a 1 frame window of opportunity. I think you double tap to dash, but don't hold down the direction - you have to release the direction, and then you have 1 frame to press attack. It's been a while since I played it, but I think that's right.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Ohhh okay. I'll practice that then. I figured whatever they were telling me was wrong. All it says to do is tap a direction after attacking. Kainy I probably will enter the code at least to test it out. But some voices are so hilarious!

Gilder on