As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Warhammer40K MMO]Apparently no longer an MMO; inquire within (Page 13).

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I want to find out about character customization. For example, playing as a space marine I've mostly just seen Black Templars, and while they're cool dudes, I'd like to be an Imperial Fist.

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• ForumiteForumite Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    you get to be blue

o94n6d.png

Forumite on
    33tp6w6.gif
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Thats just concept art.

You play as black templar pretty much exclusively in the mmo.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I was thinking this morning about how they could fit Tyranid and Necrons in if they were so inclined and did not want to make them playable. They could have the occasional invasion.

Picture this:

You're in the middle of a firefight with an enemy faction and suddenly a you receive a message from your faction that a Space Hulk has been spotted in the system. Everybody else gets the same message at the same time.

Within a few hours many of the planets are attacked by Tyranids and now everybody has their regular enemies plus a common enemy.

They could also have a tomb world in the game system, and have a difficult-to-reach trigger that sets off a Necron assault once reached. The trigger would not be an instant, and once set off you've got marauding gang of Necrons in addition to whatever NPC enemies there may be.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Raslin wrote: »
    Thats just concept art.

That's actually an ingame model. Bottom corner lists the modeler and texture artist.

-Loki- on
    edited September 2010
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Thats just concept art.

That's actually an ingame model. Bottom corner lists the modeler and texture artist.

No, its not an ingame model. Its a 3d concept. For one, I'm a 3d artist, and its clearly much detail than what's ingame(Probably 3-5x more tri's, and at least two steps up on texture resolution, if not more). Second, I've talked to billy wardlaw before. Third, I know when, and where from, kotaku got those images.

Trust me, its concept art. They've also stated that you play black templars, not other chapters, although you will meet the major chapters ingame(They've mentioned space wolves and dark angels, if I recall correctly).

Raslin on

• Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    Man I just want to be able to be a Commisar with some pet troopers. That's literally all I ask for.

Gigazombie Cybermage on
  • ArghyArghy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Could you imagine abunch of 40k nerds having their own comicon? one guy would fuck up his color scheme then everyone would chase after him with their replica weapons cause TT guys dont fuck around. I dont really want to play a commissar i just want to have a chainsword in one hand and a big pistol in my other hand shouting at the top of my lungs cause honestly thats the best part of being a commissar.

Also they stated that their will be 'order and destruction' and they also stated that they wont break any of the lore. So that either means you'll have no other choice but imperium and chaos or it means that out of the 4 races(orks/imp/chaos/eldar) 2 generally go towards order and 2 tend towards destruction. I take this as a FFA brawl.

Arghy on
    Ask me about the holocaust.
  • EisensteinEisenstein Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    As long as I can burn the heretic, kill the mutant, and purge the unclean I will be happy.

Eisenstein on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Arghy wrote: »
    Also they stated that their will be 'order and destruction' and they also stated that they wont break any of the lore. So that either means you'll have no other choice but imperium and chaos or it means that out of the 4 races(orks/imp/chaos/eldar) 2 generally go towards order and 2 tend towards destruction. I take this as a FFA brawl.

It'll probably be Eldar/Imperium vs Chaos/Orks.

Which is annoying, because that's basically WAR in space, even moreso than 40k is Warhammer in Space.

-Loki- on
    edited September 2010
    Personally, I'm not bothered by that. In realistic terms, its the closest we're gonna get to fluffy sides, with a good number of players. Eldar and the imperium collaborate often-ish, and orks can be convinced to fight alongside chaos. The only bad thing with this, is that you're black templars. You should be foaming at the mouth at having eldar, both xenos AND major psykers, fighting alongside you.

Then again, not a word has been spoken about eldar. As likely as it seems, its possible they might not go for eldar. I could see the imperium being a side of its own(between marines, the mechanicus, and the imperial guard... thats pretty equal to chaos marines, orks, and traitor guard).

Raslin on

edited September 2010
    Yeah listen to that interview the dev says 'yes we wont break lore' so throw out your imp/eldar on one side. I dont think they'll have a problem with race number balance if they do the combat system properly. If you think about the filthy general MMO player their going to want to masturbate to their chars and they love elves so eldar got it made. They love the 'good' guy and SPACE MARINES so IMP is going to also have it made. The only problem i could possibly see is orks but theres prolly enough dedicated ork fans that they wouldent give a shit.

I'm personally bouncing between IG and orks since SM's are completely out of the question and eldar suck so badly they need super creative minds to work.

Arghy on
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah listen to that interview the dev says 'yes we wont break lore' so throw out your imp/eldar on one side. I dont think they'll have a problem with race number balance if they do the combat system properly. If you think about the filthy general MMO player their going to want to masturbate to their chars and they love elves so eldar got it made. They love the 'good' guy and SPACE MARINES so IMP is going to also have it made. The only problem i could possibly see is orks but theres prolly enough dedicated ork fans that they wouldent give a shit.

I'm personally bouncing between IG and orks since SM's are completely out of the question and eldar suck so badly they need super creative minds to work.

It depends, if they are going for a PvP centric game, then the ugly/evil side will be more populated, since that type of crowd trends towards that type of faction. Case in point, WAR had Destro with a much stronger presence at first. Same thing with the WoW PVP servers in the beginning (it didnt help that WoW actually balanced factions with Horde having the advantage in PvP and Alliance in PvE in the beginning).

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Vigil going Order vs Destruction isn't bad.

Bad is what's contained in the Blood Angels codex.

Mr.Sunshine on
    edited September 2010
    Blood angels codex is so bad

Stupid fluff
    Feel no pain for everybody!
    Furious charge for everybody!
    The ability to run 11 dreadnoughts in an army!
    Fast vehicles, why not let vindicators move 12" and shoot!
    Dreadnoughts that can keep punching until everything is dead!
    Flying transports that say fuck you to the best anti-tank weapon in the game!
    Deep-striking land raiders!
    Librarians that can give cover saves to vehicles!
    Mephiston!

...Yeah, I play blood angels :/

Raslin on

• TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    fuck i love it when people bring pretty much only dreadnaughts to the fight

by turn 2 half of them are dead just from my raiders shooting dark lances at them

I also just love space marine armies to fight because dark eldar are fucking sick against them

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Stupid fluff
    Mephiston!

The fuck? How do they do that?

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Corehealer wrote: »

Stupid fluff
    Mephiston!

The fuck? How do they do that?

Dark Age of Technology.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Like this I guess...
    Thawklrdflt.jpg

Nealneal on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nealneal wrote: »
    Like this I guess...
    Thawklrdflt.jpg

Ah, extra plastic bought from GW, duh.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
    edited September 2010
    I love how in every goddamn book they constantly emphasize that teleporters are absurdly rare yet in every book everyones always got one even in friggin frigates.

Arghy on
    edited September 2010
    its not GW if everything isn't super rare yet always in abundance

TheKoolEagle on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well the characters in books don't even represent a spec on the beach that is humanity.

Or something.

There's should be blood and chainswords in my example probably.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The setting of WH40k is grimdark, but any entertaining part of the lore is filled with rule-of-cool exceptions that make them actually sell. I don't see this as a paradox.

They could make an MMO where you slog along in life as one of the trillions of humans in 40k that are stuck on some backwater planet and never see a Space Marine or a teleporter or an alien your entire life. Stastically that would be a better representation of the setting, but it doesn't sound like fun.

nonoffensive on
    edited September 2010
    Until your planet gets chosen to be the next clusterfuck of the galaxy and you get to see every single alien and you cry as your planet turns into Armageddon 2.

Arghy on
    edited September 2010
    You mean Armageddon 3 there, I think. Armageddon 2 already took place.

And yeah, stories always involve the really rare tech because it's interesting. I don't think I'd want to read a book about a low-hab hivers life, trotting down to the mine every day.

-Loki- on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010

And yeah, stories always involve the really rare tech because it's interesting. I don't think I'd want to read a book about a low-hab hivers life, trotting down to the mine every day.

That depends on how many explosions it involved.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    edited September 2010

That depends on how many explosions it involved.

And maybe fitting in some xeno abduction/Capt'n Kirking that shit.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
    edited September 2010

they don't have mines in the future. they are called slag pits

plus i would totally be down with some necromunda books, fuck i love that shootoff game

TheKoolEagle on
    edited September 2010
    Necromunda books would be about gang wars, not habbers going to work. And would probably be about Van Saars with plasma weapons to make it interesting, thus going back to the initial point, 40k books generally feature rare tech because it's interesting.

-Loki- on
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    People who say 'order versus destruction' is somehow un-40k are p. dumb because the order and destruction lines in 40k are actually very well defined and all the order races team up a fair bit throughout the fluff.

Not saying it's not lame, but don't act like they are breaking some sacred rule.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, but by 'team up', it's generally for a very brief period, probably with ulterior motives from the side that suggests it.

-Loki- on
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, but by 'team up', it's generally for a very brief period, probably with ulterior motives from the side that suggests it.

yeah totally

putting tyranids on the same side as anyone else requires some logical gymnastics however

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
    edited September 2010
    Hey every single IG book is all about the low tech guard getting shit done with stuff thats made in batches of fucking millions. Sure theres plasma guns and metla guns but they are actually fairly common and not lostech--guns that dont blow up in your hands may be lostech but a badass plasma gun that may blow up in your hands is damn common.

Arghy on
    edited September 2010
    Hey every single IG book is all about the low tech guard getting shit done with stuff thats made in batches of fucking millions. Sure theres plasma guns and metla guns but they are actually fairly common and not lostech--guns that dont blow up in your hands may be lostech but a badass plasma gun that may blow up in your hands is damn common.

I've only read the Gaunts Ghosts books, but there's always some fantastical element to the stories that a one in a million chance of happening. It's there because it makes them interesting. Whether it's technology (100ft tall spider robots) or psychic (planet wide storm flinging leaves with the force to kill people), or even political (come on, inquisitors driving the first 2 books)?

-Loki- on
    edited September 2010
    Hey those things are nothing special in 40k--you gotta remember they were in a crusade so almost every planet would get inquisitor attention due to it being chaos controlled.

Arghy on
  • SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh shit I just noticed the new thread. Huh.

I just started reading the Ghosts books actually, most of the way through the first one atm. Pretty good so far.

SJ on
  • IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Skull Leader SDF-1Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I've only read the Gaunts Ghosts books, but there's always some fantastical element to the stories that a one in a million chance of happening. It's there because it makes them interesting. Whether it's technology (100ft tall spider robots) or psychic (planet wide storm flinging leaves with the force to kill people), or even political (come on, inquisitors driving the first 2 books)?
    Don't forget a scout killing dozens of traitors using just his las pistol and his knife during said psyker storm.

IvanIssacs on
  • SkannerJATSkannerJAT Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wasn't that same scout the last known remnant of an ancient culture of uber-fighters though? Mkvenner or something I think? The ghost are an elite unit though. The one thing that really got me was how easily some Chaos Space Marines went down in a few books.

I liked the Eisenhorn novel where they had a Space Marines go with them because of the possibility of running in to Chaos Space Marines and when they did the fight between the two was fucking epic.

SkannerJAT on
    edited September 2010
    SkannerJAT wrote: »
    Wasn't that same scout the last known remnant of an ancient culture of uber-fighters though? Mkvenner or something I think? The ghost are an elite unit though. The one thing that really got me was how easily some Chaos Space Marines went down in a few books.

No, it was Mkoll, the scout master. MkVenner is even more ludicrous, and it just appeared in one book. It was like GW said to Abnett - we need a kung fu guy in there. Retcon one of the scouts into one. And thus Mkvenner went from 'awesome scout nearly as good as Mkoll' to 'Cwhlwhl master' or something. It has the most ridiculous name.

Also, on the whole teaming up, I'm reading through Codex tyranids since I've started an army, and there's a largish segment about Tau and Imperial Guard teaming up against a Hive Fleet. I assume this is the Damocles Crusade going on hold due to the hive fleet invasion? I only glanced at it.

-Loki- on
This discussion has been closed.