As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Forumer Seattle Get Togethers- Spring/Summer Edition

18910111214»

• SarahstraszaSarahstrasza Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I hate myspace.. because I dont need to get laid. But I've no issue with facebook. However, you make it a discussion on WoW and we got a deal! Hardy har har. So... if I wanted to look for people for an event in the summer, should I be posting it in a new forum thread here somewhere, or throwin it on facebook for those who may be interested?

Sarahstrasza on
  • RedwingedblackbirdRedwingedblackbird Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well... I posted this on a new thread first... but it was them moved to this thread, which made things more confusing. So if you post about events, it will likely be moved to another similar thread :( I would post on both... starting here. But there are so many more people on facebook (something like 150 million), so think of all the people you would be cutting out...
    I hate myspace.. because I dont need to get laid. But I've no issue with facebook. However, you make it a discussion on WoW and we got a deal! Hardy har har. So... if I wanted to look for people for an event in the summer, should I be posting it in a new forum thread here somewhere, or throwin it on facebook for those who may be interested?

Redwingedblackbird on
  • SarahstraszaSarahstrasza Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yes yes but all of the best people are here on the forums! *flex* ok.. so I cant REALLY say that but you know what I mean~!

Sarahstrasza on
    edited September 2010
    Yeah... the forums are way better for finding gamers... But if you're posting about an event, I would recommend facebook as an easy point of reference for anyone who wishes to find out about an event. Instead of hoping they will search through pages and pages of threads. What I'm using it for is an overview of the event, that's easier for people to find and be referred to than finding a specific page in a specific thread. It is also better for spreading the word to people who are not on the forums, but would still be interested. I've been told that when planning events, you should should try to spread the word as many ways as you can. So I would recommend posting on here, and also looking in Facebook to see if there's any gaming groups that interest you. To my knowledge, there are not groups on the PAX forums, only individual members. But you can search for groups on other sites like Facebook.

Redwingedblackbird on
    edited September 2010
    Alright everyone... So what we have so far is tabletop in a hotel lobby and possible console gaming in a hotel room (probably mine) of the same hotel. I'm not sure about how to set up a LAN in such an area, but I'm asking around for ideas and suggestions no how we might do it. As for the location, I would say the Sheraton is the best choice, unless we find something better. Since we did it there during PAX twice. And it has a central location downtown close to everything like gameworks, restaurants, ect. But more ideas for locations would be appreciated.

As for a date, I would like to do it on the 18th... but that may be too close to properly plan it in time. And we could get more people if give it an extra two weeks. I cannot make it the following weekend of the 25th. So if not the 8th, then it would have to be Saturday the 2nd of October. We've already have 10 people RSVP on the facebook page in the first 24 hours it's been up, so that's a good sign. For those of us that are planning on attending, we should post what games we're planning on bringing. Especially for console play, since system linking two or more xbox units will require people to bring the same games, enough controllers, link cables, and possibly a hub. So what does everyone think about doing it on the 18th or the 2nd???

Redwingedblackbird on
  • KaneKane Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Another thing to consider is renting a small conference room. That usually includes net access and tables and then their would be no worry of hotel staff getting pissy. If you just divide the cost by the number of people expected and we all chip in, I'm sure it would not end up more than $10 each.

Kane on
  • SnickersSnickers Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So... People don't have to search through pages of threads you know. They only have to read the last page or so for current events, most of the rest of the thread is old events and such. This is quite honestly the best medium for planning and organizing the event. Facebook would be more suited if you wanted to limit who would be invited.

Snickers on
    <@frellnik&gt; and suddenly, Snickers
  • SashaSasha Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My apartment building has a conference room + wifi, an outdoor area, etc. I think they also have a large TV that anyone can use as well. I don't know if people would be interested in doing it there (my apartment building is in downtown Seattle.)

Sasha on
  • HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sasha wrote: »
    My apartment building has a conference room, an outdoor area, etc. I think they also have a large TV that anyone can use as well. I don't know if people would be interested in doing it there (my apartment building is in downtown Seattle.)

To those who have been to my place, it's the same one. Terry and Stewart. Renting it out usually requires a deposit and not much else - but has to be done somewhat in advance.

Heleor on
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    FYI: I will be retiring this thread mid September in favor of the new one.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    BigRed wrote: »
    FYI: I will be retiring this thread mid September in favor of the new one.

Good, as long as the new one opens with you planning your next LAN. :P

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
    edited September 2010
    Sasha

That sounds like a good possibility... Three questions regarding the conference room in your building. How many people does it accomodate? How long can it be rented for, since the may problem with other conference rooms is that you can only rent them until 8 or 9 PM. And how much does it cost?
    Thanks
    My apartment building has a conference room + wifi, an outdoor area, etc. I think they also have a large TV that anyone can use as well. I don't know if people would be interested in doing it there (my apartment building is in downtown Seattle.)

Redwingedblackbird on
    edited September 2010
    I looked into renting a conference hall at a hotel last year when I wanted to do this... and you're right, they do often come with internet connectivity. The major problem is that you cannon rent such spaces overnight, or even late into the evening. Most conference rooms I looked at were only rented out until 6-8 PM, a few went until 10PM... But that means we would be able to use it until 8 or 9PM at the latest, before we had to start packing up our stuff. So it probably wouldn't be worth the money. Now the suggestion by Sasha may work since it's an appartment building and may allow people to rent the space for later, or overnight.
    Kane wrote: »
    Another thing to consider is renting a small conference room. That usually includes net access and tables and then their would be no worry of hotel staff getting pissy. If you just divide the cost by the number of people expected and we all chip in, I'm sure it would not end up more than $10 each.

Redwingedblackbird on
    edited September 2010
    Everyone who is interested in this event, you can email me on here, so I can make sure let everyone know the new thread once BigRed starts it...
    Thanks

Redwingedblackbird on
  • alegriaalegria Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm interested and have joined the FB group. I"m taking a cross-country trip October 2 - 17, but if something is planned during those dates I'll let my husband know in case he wants to come. :)

alegria on
    Rw4xnu6.png
    PAX Prime Attendee since 2006, BYOC Attendee 2008-2012, Buttoneer 2010-2014
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/alegria
    edited September 2010
    How does Saturday, the 2nd of October sound to everyone for this event? If people want to do something Friday night the 1st, we could add that on as well. The 2nd is a good date, since it's close, but still gives us a couple weeks to plan and get people.

Redwingedblackbird on
    edited September 2010
    I just posted that the 2nd might make a good date, since I have Duty weekend on the 25th, and the 18th may be too close to properly plan this and get more people. Maybe you could kick off your cross country trip with a bit of gaming, lol.
    alegria wrote: »
    I'm interested and have joined the FB group. I"m taking a cross-country trip October 2 - 17, but if something is planned during those dates I'll let my husband know in case he wants to come. :)

Redwingedblackbird on
    edited September 2010
    I assume you are talking about a different location than Sasha... another possible alternative. But I'm sure we all would have the same basic questions... How much does it cost? Can we went it overnight, instead of having to vacate at like 8PM? And how many people can it accommodate? I suppose knowing if it has internet would help too.
    Thanks
    Heleor wrote: »
    My apartment building has a conference room, an outdoor area, etc. I think they also have a large TV that anyone can use as well. I don't know if people would be interested in doing it there (my apartment building is in downtown Seattle.)

To those who have been to my place, it's the same one. Terry and Stewart. Renting it out usually requires a deposit and not much else - but has to be done somewhat in advance.

Redwingedblackbird on
  • SashaSasha Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I assume you are talking about a different location than Sasha... another possible alternative. But I'm sure we all would have the same basic questions... How much does it cost? Can we went it overnight, instead of having to vacate at like 8PM? And how many people can it accommodate? I suppose knowing if it has internet would help too.
    Thanks

I think we're talking about the same place. They have a conference room, media lounge, and a party room (and it has wifi.) I think in total it should be able to accommodate 50-60 or so? I don't know. Also, it looks to be free to use, though we can reserve the spot in advance... In terms of doing it overnight: I have no idea, but I don't think it has a "vacate by" time.

Anyway, it's just an idea, and I'm down for doing this wherever.

Sasha on
    edited September 2010
    That sounds like the best idea for a venue yet... If it can accommodate around 50 people (which is more than we're likely to get), has table space, wifi, and can be used overnight... Then that would be better than having tabletop games in a lobby, console in hotel rooms, and LAN somewhere else. We could do it all in one location. Unlike a hotel lobby, we also wouldn't have to pack everything up if we wanted to leave for dinner, gameworks, ect. And if it's in downtown... that's certainly better as well. Can you and Heleor possibly collaborate and find out if you're referring to the same place, confirm the facility specifics, and what we would have to do to reserve it? Or if there is a point of contact for this facility, I could give them a call and find out details...
    Thanks
    Thanks

I think we're talking about the same place. They have a conference room, media lounge, and a party room (and it has wifi.) I think in total it should be able to accommodate 50-60 or so? I don't know. Also, it looks to be free to use, though we can reserve the spot in advance... In terms of doing it overnight: I have no idea, but I don't think it has a "vacate by" time.

Anyway, it's just an idea, and I'm down for doing this wherever.

Redwingedblackbird on
  • HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Cross-posting for epic BBQ? :D

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=149622411735358

As an aside - each room in the apartment building has a deposit of $150 for up to 24 hours of use. I reserved the media room and party room for this party, but I should get the deposit back. Hopefully.

Heleor on
This discussion has been closed.