As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Secret Santa?

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh boy, I can't wait! Who wants me as a Santa this year?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    What are the memes for SS, anyway? Lucerin_Red's "Books are gay", getting a bottle of bleach somehow, everyone buying each other copies of World War Z.

edit: I always say I'll join and I never do.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Was it JAEF who got a freakin' PS3 last year? Phew, that'll be a tall order to top. I remember you giving away a stack of rad stuff Spaniard, so any Santee on your list should be thankful.

The gift I hadn't completed in time for last years SS has long-since been finished and awaits a new owner 8-)

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2010
    I think the Smash Bros tournament might have been the best so far.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, JAEF got someone a PS3. I had him as my santee two years back and feel mildly guilty that all I supplied him with was a shit load of English chocolate, and some other bits and bobs.

Oh and a Christmas Card I made in LittleBigPlanet (which he kindly made a video of and uploaded to youtube).

So yeah anyone that gets Jaef, be good to him :)

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Figgy wrote: »
    Chen wrote: »
    I don't remember what year it was, but a generous someone gave a lucky someone a plane ticket to attend a Smash Bros tournament.

Pretty sure that was also JAEF.

Edit: Also, for the guy asking about a listing of who got what:

Secret Santa 2008
    Secret Santa 2009

The person who bought the plane ticket wished to remain anonymous.

Only I, the Arbiter of Joy, knows his true identity.

Yes, Hypatia and I will run SS again this year! I haven't been posting much at PA but I visit pretty much every day. I need to poast more!

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    What are the memes for SS, anyway? Lucerin_Red's "Books are gay", getting a bottle of bleach somehow, everyone buying each other copies of World War Z.

The only one I think you missed was "Halo and a big bag of beef jerky wrapped in an American flag".

see317 on
  • TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Canadian customs thought it was an improvement on the gift I was actually sent, apparently.

TheOtherHorseman on
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I am so excited for this now.

THANKS A LOT

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • grim123grim123 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Forar wrote: »
    If sending books is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Though to be fair, it's funny that both "OMG BOOKS!" and "... just send everyone World War Z" are both memes of the event.

And yeah, I always look forward to this, but don't they usually officially get underway late October/early November?

Edit: which isn't meant as a criticism, more just that I wouldn't be surprised if it hadn't occurred to many people yet, as we're 1-2 months from the usual mega threads.

haha you know I've never received or read world war Z...
    D: oh no what have I done I'm sure to get it now:evil:

grim123 on
    Aww nutsack.
    steam_sig.png
  • Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    After watching the last two Secret Santas and the awesome stuff that's been given, like the Bowser statue Kor got in 2008 and the PS3 from last year, I definitely want in on it this time. Helps that I actually have a full-time job now, so I can afford to buy some presents for some random internet person.

Goddammit, I cannot wait.

Mx. Quill on
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    After watching the last two Secret Santas and the awesome stuff that's been given, like the Bowser statue Kor got in 2008 and the PS3 from last year, I definitely want in on it this time. Helps that I actually have a full-time job now, so I can afford to buy some presents for some random internet person.

Goddammit, I cannot wait.
    If you get me by any chance, get two copies of Pokemon B/W so that we can pokebattle each other.

Spring... sigh.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    In my defence, we don't have Thanksgiving in the UK, and I don't celebrate All Hallow's Eve, either. But I do complain when the supermarkets start selling Christmas stuff before Guy Fawkes Night! November 5th, for all you non- Brits :)

Anyway, I just liked stalking my santee last year, and yes, I loved my presents, didn't share the chocolate at all!

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • mr-razzcocksmr-razzcocks Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I would absolutely love to finally take part in the secret santa stuff this year, but frequently die on my arse when trying to post stuff internationally. I might have to have a word with the powers that be about having a seperate 'gift games by digital delivery' section this year

mr-razzcocks on
    edited September 2010
    You can stipulate that you don't wish to be given an international Santee. You can also just choose to gift them over Steam if you think that's what they'd like, no problems there.

edit: Haha LewieP's Mummy, so stoked for Christmas to come you don't even have to change your avatar :D

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I would absolutely love to finally take part in the secret santa stuff this year, but frequently die on my arse when trying to post stuff internationally. I might have to have a word with the powers that be about having a seperate 'gift games by digital delivery' section this year

You can gift things digitally if you want. Or just order their gifts be directly shipped to them from a store that is local to them.

TheOtherHorseman on
  • GibbsGibbs Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Man, once I have a reliable income, I'll be all over this.

Unfortunately, it's still up in the air if I'll be having gifts for family members this year.

I'll goosestalk next year, durnit!

Gibbs on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I've got a bad case of lovin' you.
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Gibbs wrote: »
    Man, once I have a reliable income, I'll be all over this.

Unfortunately, it's still up in the air if I'll be having gifts for family members this year.

I'll goosestalk next year, durnit!

It's my secret shame that I spent more on my PA Secret Santees then any member of my family for those years.
    Shame... or pride. Can't decide which. Probably a mix of both.

see317 on
    edited September 2010
    We can ask for a non-international Santee? I thought the rule was that if we weren't comfortable, don't enter.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Mmm, I'd not noticed my avatar! Ah well, saves changing it again for Christmas :)

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    We can ask for a non-international Santee? I thought the rule was that if we weren't comfortable, don't enter.

Don't quote me on this, but I believe that varies by subforum (most but H&A have one each year, I think. I know SE++, G&T, GV, D&D, and I believe AC all do, and CF has like 2 or 3 of the damned things throughout the year).

In some cases you specify if you'd prefer to gift to someone local, in others it's a mixed bag. The brave souls who mail huge boxes of awesome stuff through regular post... ladies, gentlemen, my hat off to you. Your generosity often knows no bounds, doubly so for getting violated through the pants by the postal service.

But yes, in the past digital gifts have been accepted (at least one of the ones I sent was digital, I think it was in D&D) and there's always the option to use the recipient's local Amazon service (which often has free shipping over a certain amount).

I love seeing the gifts that people make by hand, or pull together a care package of simply awesome goodies for someone to enjoy, but the cost of shipping (among other things) always holds me back, so my usual fallbacks are Steam or Amazon, just so I know that every spare dollar can go into the gift, rather than sweating what shipping (especially international shipping) might be. Every Santee has been very gracious and warm over their gifts regardless of the lack of a hand crafted note or cheerful paper, but there are times I feel bad that I'm not handing over more personal stuff. A short note in the little Gift Message boxes Amazon includes just aren't the same.

So it's not an easy choice to make, but affordable options do exist.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I remember painting a toaster to look like balrog and rigging it to print "huzzah" on the toast. I am not sure my santee ever used it to find that out.

Still I think I have a neat idea for this year. I guess I should get started.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I said it last year but I think Im pretty sure I mean it this year. I shall join hopefully I think! (I really want to).

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yes, Hypatia and I will run SS again this year! I haven't been posting much at PA but I visit pretty much every day. I need to poast more!

Much appreciated Doc. :3

Henroid on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    grim123 wrote: »
    Forar wrote: »
    If sending books is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Though to be fair, it's funny that both "OMG BOOKS!" and "... just send everyone World War Z" are both memes of the event.

And yeah, I always look forward to this, but don't they usually officially get underway late October/early November?

Edit: which isn't meant as a criticism, more just that I wouldn't be surprised if it hadn't occurred to many people yet, as we're 1-2 months from the usual mega threads.

haha you know I've never received or read world war Z...
    D: oh no what have I done I'm sure to get it now:evil:

Everyone should send Day by Day Armageddon

Basticle sent me this book two years ago and it is fantastic, holy shit

Typically I'm not really into zombie stuff, I wasn't too entertained by The Zombie Survival Guide, but Day by Day Armageddon is a really well-written story written in the style of a personal journal of a U.S. Naval Officer; the "journal" actually starts a couple weeks before the zombies even come (it was also actually written by a U.S. Naval Officer).

UnbreakableVow on
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Yeah, JAEF got someone a PS3. I had him as my santee two years back and feel mildly guilty that all I supplied him with was a shit load of English chocolate, and some other bits and bobs.

Oh and a Christmas Card I made in LittleBigPlanet (which he kindly made a video of and uploaded to youtube).

So yeah anyone that gets Jaef, be good to him :)
    Grinch I am STILL SAVORING those delicious chocolates, the taste hovering on the back of my tongue.

That shit was bomb. You also got me Valkyria Chronicles holmes. Like, brand new off the shelf when it released, just because your package was taking a while. Don't sell yourself short.
    Figgy wrote: »
    Chen wrote: »
    I don't remember what year it was, but a generous someone gave a lucky someone a plane ticket to attend a Smash Bros tournament.
    Pretty sure that was also JAEF.
    I know Doc said it already but just to reiterate that one was not me. Although that is a fucking awesome thing to do for someone.

Also someone got a baller working Dead Space gun didn't they? So many cool gifts flying around. I see my name mentioned here just because I went a little crazy but the truth is that *sniffles* it's to hide my ultimate shame that I don't have the talent to send out amazing things like bowser statues or LPM's paintings. You are the real heroes.

JAEF on
    edited September 2010
    Oh man I forgot about the Dead Space gun.

Holy. Moley.

IIRC Doc Holliday got that

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2010
    Was the Dead Space gun just painted/modeled? Wasn't there another where someone turned a nerf gun into a rail (yeah, I know, "coil") gun?

Forar on
  • UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hey, I totally made Randombattle play Sneak King before I sent him his real gift, two years ago.

I win the award for biggest bastard santa.

UEAKCrash on
  • ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'll have a fair bit more disposable income this year, so I'll probably participate when this officially rolls around.

And for the record, I already own World War Z :P

Zerokku on
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You guys I am so sorry.

I had a ton of EA store coupons, and I was going to give them out to PAers here in the Secret Santa thread when it came around again this year. But I just looked at one of them and they expired last month. :(

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    edited September 2010
    No worries.

It happens.

EA doesn't sell World War Z anyway.

Forar on
    edited September 2010
    It sucks cause they were 20 bucks off coupons, so that's pretty damn decent.

The_Spaniard on
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I love doing G&T Secret Santa every year. I might branch out and do another forum as well, because there are a lot of awesome people that deserve awesome things on PA. Every year, tons of awesomeness is thrown around the globe, and I hope that I can contribute in some small way. I'm tempting the idea of making something for my Santee this year, since those are always the best gifts. We shall see...

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
    edited September 2010
    I hope my Santee likes RAM

UnbreakableVow on
  • elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    see317 wrote: »

The only one I think you missed was "Halo and a big bag of beef jerky wrapped in an American flag".

This is still one of my favourite things that has ever happened on this forum.

elevature on
  • stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just locked down a decent paying job so I will definitely be participating in this + D&D

stevemarks44 on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've watched this with interest in past years, but haven't participated. I think that will probably change this year.

Haven't decided if I want to buy something or make something yet though.

RainbowDespair on
    edited September 2010
    I wish XBLA and PSN would get off of their respective asses and give you the ability to gift games

I see the VC thread every year and writhe with jealousy

UnbreakableVow on
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Isn't there a Steam gifting thread too?

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky