As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Blindie da Cat

FoolproofFoolproof thats what my hearts becomein that place you dare not look staring back at youRegistered User regular
edited September 2010 in Social Entropy++
My girlfriend lives in a neighbourhood with some people who feed stray cats. There is a population explosion of stray cats every year with some cats having as many as three litters. I think some winter under houses because I see some of the same cats year after year.

I don't see any as roadkill so I figure something is eating them or someone is turning them in to the animal shelter. I want to just consider them as vermin and not to worry about what happens to them but I get so mad about the situation.

Why do people feed them just so they can be gassed or eaten by raccoons? I don't care about the cat deaths as much as their suffering to be honest. Those kittens are so cute and harmless that it just drives me crazy to see people perpetuating the cycle that causes such bad things to happen to such cute creatures.

We have live capture traps for the adults but the neighbours have given us grief for sending cats to the pound before and it does very little because new cats just show up.

Recently a pregnant cat (named grandma) gave birth to a cute little orange tabby who was born without eyeballs. His/her name is Blindie. Half of me wants to protect this poor misbegotten creature and the other half wants me to give it the mercy of a clean death.

I don't know why his birth defect makes me feel so conflicted but it does. I kill mice and kill roaches because they transmit disease but I will capture flys and spiders to release them outside. I don't have a problem with killing an animal if it can endanger a person but I don't like it. (I only mention this so no one thinks I'm some deluded animal lover who thinks critters are better than people.)

I am not trolling and am kinda tore up over this situation. I don't know what to do. Can anyone offer some advice to me?

Foolproof on

• HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hide this thread from stale. This is good advice.

HellaJeff on
  • ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Why do you release flies outside

spiders, sure, spiders are cool, flies are assholes though

Butler on
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    pip thread

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    are you sure it was born without eyeballs

aren't cats eyes closed for like the first few weeks of their life

are you sure its eyes aren't just

you know

not open?

Raneados on
    edited September 2010
    Raneados wrote: »

you know

not open?

Yeah don't be like my cousin who buried his son's dead hamster only to find out weeks later it was hibernating.

Butler on
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I am an authority when it comes to dealing with cats.

Kill them all.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
    edited September 2010
    Butler wrote: »

you know

not open?

Yeah don't be like my cousin who buried his son's dead hamster only to find out weeks later it was hibernating.

wise fwom your gwaves

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • FoolproofFoolproof thats what my hearts become in that place you dare not look staring back at youRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

you know

not open?

yeah we gave it time and all it's sibblings have opened their eyes. Once that happened we gave it a week and then forced open the eyelids to see. I thought it might just have veils over it's eyes but there is nothing like an eyeball in there. I didn't want to be too invasive and have just been waiting to see what happens.

Today it was a backyard away from it's mother and siblings and needed to be returned. I think it's mother is finally rejecting it or she would have come and got it, right?

Foolproof on
    edited September 2010
    Only the strong survive

Mowgli likes giving head

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • FoolproofFoolproof thats what my hearts become in that place you dare not look staring back at youRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Why do you release flies outside

spiders, sure, spiders are cool, flies are assholes though

it is bad luck to kill spiders and I'll kill a fly if it annoys me but if I can catch it I release it.

Foolproof on
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I feed stray cats.
    Humans are the real pests, we shouldn't allow them to breed because all they do is suffer and complain.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    removing cats from a feral cat population and killing them really doesn't do any good. Capturing them, spaying/neuturing them, and rereleasing them back into the population is more productive.

I know this doesn't help you with the kitten at all, but most people don't know much about feral cats at all.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    How about you should not have fucked with it.
    Now this kitten is your problem.
    It's not blind, sometimes eyes take different amounts of time to open.
    Why couldn't you just let it be if you weren't prepared to look after it yourself should something have gone wrong, which it seems to.

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
    edited September 2010
    You know there's probably a cold, hungry ATM out there somewhere that would really appreciate a nice warm cat.

Butler on
    edited September 2010
    You know there's probably a cold, hungry ATM out there somewhere that would really appreciate a nice warm cat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yYEX9dV34I

Indeed.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    when I read this thread I found the sentiment expressed kind of disturbing but I wasn't sure why.

Then I remembered who Foolproof is and it all made sense.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    when I read this thread I found the sentiment expressed kind of disturbing but I wasn't sure why.

What I want to know is why the news keeps reporting him dead after that hostage situation in Maryland

Grey Ghost on
    edited September 2010
    Macro9 wrote: »

Kill them all.

I'd rather kill the people who don't take care of animals. Its bad enough that we pay taxes to warehouse and poison strays but why would people encourage their reproduction?

I'd almost rather terminate an animals life myself instead of just giving it to the pound. It feels like a total cop out to hand them off to the state shelter when I know it is there death. I hate people who can't find the strength to do there own dirty work.

I know no one is going to adopt a stray cat when people are always giving away kittens. People who don't spay their cats flood the "market" so shelter cats basically are on death row without hope.

I can usually put my concerns out of mind and leave it to nature to decide but this poor little blind cat has triggered something in me and I can't just let it starve or be eaten.

Foolproof on
    edited September 2010
    TheStig wrote: »
    I feed stray cats.
    Humans are the real pests, we shouldn't allow them to breed because all they do is suffer and complain.

I wish I had your address and some dead cats from the shelter. I'd make sure you got your fair share.

Foolproof on
    edited September 2010
    Foolproof wrote: »
    Macro9 wrote: »

Kill them all.

I'd rather kill the people who don't take care of animals. Its bad enough that we pay taxes to warehouse and poison strays but why would people encourage their reproduction?

I'd almost rather terminate an animals life myself instead of just giving it to the pound. It feels like a total cop out to hand them off to the state shelter when I know it is there death. I hate people who can't find the strength to do there own dirty work.

I know no one is going to adopt a stray cat when people are always giving away kittens. People who don't spay their cats flood the "market" so shelter cats basically are on death row without hope.

I can usually put my concerns out of mind and leave it to nature to decide but this poor little blind cat has triggered something in me and I can't just let it starve or be eaten.

foolproof when you are king who will be first against the wall?

DodgeBlan on

• ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

spill the beans

I want to know what's going on here

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited September 2010
    Who needs a reason to kill?

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    um

the pound =/= death

stop watching 90s cartoons

Raneados on
    edited September 2010
    I feed stray cats.

I wish I had your address and some dead cats from the shelter. I'd make sure you got your fair share.

I wish I had your address and some dead people from the morgue.

TheStig on
    edited September 2010
    A PETA commercial is making someone cry at this very moment.

Kill the T.V.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
    edited September 2010
    um

the pound =/= death

It usually does if they are feral cats.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    edited September 2010
    Jordyn wrote: »
    removing cats from a feral cat population and killing them really doesn't do any good. Capturing them, spaying/neuturing them, and rereleasing them back into the population is more productive.

I know this doesn't help you with the kitten at all, but most people don't know much about feral cats at all.

I know that more cats will just filter in from the farms around town and that keeping the niches full of non-reproducing cats is probably the best method but how to do that? I'd castrate the toms on capture but it is really the females that need to be sterilized or one male will do the job of thirty.

Foolproof on
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    How about instead of pounds we start up tempura restaurants? That way we make back some of the money we use to catch the stray cats.

Tallahasseeriel on
    edited September 2010

spill the beans

oh he just crazied up some science thread a while ago with his bizarre beliefs.

DodgeBlan on

• ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

spill the beans

oh he just crazied up some science thread a while ago with his bizarre beliefs.

dis

a

ppointing

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited September 2010
    um

the pound =/= death

i thought people were getting better about going to shelters and pounds to get animals

Raneados on
    edited September 2010
    um

the pound =/= death

i thought people were getting better about going to shelters and pounds to get animals

feral cats aren't even put up for adoption. They're considered wild and not fit to be placed in a home. In the same way that some dogs (particularly ones that come from fighting backgrounds) are considered too aggressive to be adopted and are put down.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    edited September 2010
    What if you want to adopt it for fighting?

TheStig on
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Langly wrote: »
    And while they jack up taxes on hunters they should do the same for pet owners. Every bag of petfood and every visit to the vet should be taxed until every animal shelter run on tax payer funds is supported by the people that actually keep pets. Why should everyone pay to gas stray cats and dogs when not everyone has pets?

People should be able to have guns or pets but god damnit pay your own way or expect people like me to look down on you and your irresponsible behaviours. I don't care if you love animals, kill them, or fuck them, just don't make other people pay for your food, entertainment, or perversions.

pet owners? really? That is what you spend time being angry about?

I think that we can find something more worthy of any sort of attention than you don't own a pet so you're mad about animal shelters. That is pretty stupid, guy.

I mean, really?

I guess I'm really angry about the number of cats and dogs that are put down. I don't see why pet owners shouldn't pay for their pets. A puppy or kitten doesn't just pop into existence you know. All the strays come from people who keep pets even though they are not responsible.

People that don't have pets show a lot of tolerance to people who like to own animals as pets. I guess it is too much to ask that they pay for their own crap. I must be crazy for suggesting it.

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    edited September 2010
    Uriel wrote: »
    How about instead of pounds we start up tempura restaurants? That way we make back some of the money we use to catch the stray cats.

Or why don't we tax pet related goods and services.

Foolproof on
    edited September 2010
    um

the pound =/= death

feral cats aren't even put up for adoption. They're considered wild and not fit to be placed in a home. In the same way that some dogs (particularly ones that come from fighting backgrounds) are considered too aggressive to be adopted and are put down.

WHAT

maaaaaaaan

and also maaaaaaaaaan aren't fighting dogs usually some of the sweetest? They're not trained to fight people, after all

and I'm not sure if this is true, but:
    wasn't a traditional "prize" for a fighting dog that it got to be with the family+kids for a while?

Raneados on
    edited September 2010
    What if you want to adopt it for fighting?

You get deported to Japan.

Not as fun as you would think. Beware the roaming bands of rapist squid.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    um

the pound =/= death

Hell, the only shelter in town here euthanizes animals like crazy because they get no fucking funding and can't afford to take care of the animals for very long

Grey Ghost on
    edited September 2010
    Uriel wrote: »

Or why don't we tax pet related goods and services.

Cat food is full of cat and dog meat btw.

Edit: sorry for the double post.

Foolproof on
    edited September 2010
    um

the pound =/= death

WHAT

maaaaaaaan

and also maaaaaaaaaan aren't fighting dogs usually some of the sweetest? They're not trained to fight people, after all

and I'm not sure if this is true, but:
    wasn't a traditional "prize" for a fighting dog that it got to be with the family+kids for a while?

Back in the day some were treated like this.

Now it's illegal and attracts a not so nice crowd.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png