As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GW2]We're all waiting very, very patiently for class reveals. *twitch*

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    reVerse wrote: »
    They'll be split in US, EU and Asia. Apparently you'll be able to switch between them to go play with friends, but there'll be some sort of cooldown on it to prevent abusing WvW battles.

Presumably that will be a free transfer service as well.

Geographic region based server splits are practical for solving problems like latency issues, language barriers and overpopulation. You can't really enjoy a server on the other side of the planet because you probably can't speak the predominant languages, even if it's translated on your end, you'll probably be lagging a ton, and people will be in bed or at work mostly when you log in at a regular time for you, so not many people to interact with.

Servers near to you or in your timezone are much more practical, as much as we'd like to play with others on other continents. WvW will probably be able to solve quite a bit of that desire, though, at least in terms of PvP.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    They'll be split in US, EU and Asia. Apparently you'll be able to switch between them to go play with friends, but there'll be some sort of cooldown on it to prevent abusing WvW battles.

We're doomed in WvWvW.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Entaru wrote: »

We're doomed in WvWvW.

3 way split like DAoC. I look forward to it.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Interview about combat and such.

http://www.tentonhammer.com/gw2/features/interviews/pax-combat
    Ten Ton Hammer: Do you think you’ll keep some of the exploration aspects to the process though? I know for some players it was a lot of fun in GW1 figuring out which boss mobs you could track down for a specific elite for your profession.

Izzy: Another big system with skills is Traits, and traits have taken on that aspect. Every trait is given out in a very unique way. Like a sword mastery trait gives you plus bonus damage, you have to go defeat five sword masters around the world, and you’ll have to find rumors from different NPCs that tell you where they are. Killing a random sword master will give you an update to the progress to all of that.

That sounds so good.

Oh, my pants. Oooh.

reVerse on
    edited September 2010
    Interview about combat and such.

http://www.tentonhammer.com/gw2/features/interviews/pax-combat
    Ten Ton Hammer: Do you think you’ll keep some of the exploration aspects to the process though? I know for some players it was a lot of fun in GW1 figuring out which boss mobs you could track down for a specific elite for your profession.

Izzy: Another big system with skills is Traits, and traits have taken on that aspect. Every trait is given out in a very unique way. Like a sword mastery trait gives you plus bonus damage, you have to go defeat five sword masters around the world, and you’ll have to find rumors from different NPCs that tell you where they are. Killing a random sword master will give you an update to the progress to all of that.

That sounds so good.

Oh, my pants. Oooh.

That article = OP material. That indeed sounds awesome.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    http://www.destructoid.com/pax-10-a-hands-off-look-at-guild-wars-2-183338.phtml

Here's another one with some interesting tidbits about the armor system.

Edit:
    Personalization is a big deal in this game, and this is also reflected in your appearance. The actual armor your character wears is purely cosmetic; stats and bonuses are instead conferred through crests that you socket into your armor. While it does sacrifice realism for the sake of personalization, since in the real world a pirate costume is obviously less effective than a full suit of plate armor, the crests will allow you to give your character a look you actually like, and will hopefully keep everyone from running around in identical gear. It also allows characters to become legitimately recognizable beyond the name above their head, with the idea being that you start recognizing people on your server simply based on their looks.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    edited September 2010
    Delightful.
    No more seeing T9 and T10 on everyone I see every time I go in the bank. I can already picture my future Charr all armored up, with a DA:O Templar style dress covering the legs and and maybe a hood covering the face, and a long draping cape... and the dye system can colour it just right...

Good God I WANT THIS GAME!

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • JenosavelJenosavel Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I got to play the demo a couple of times at PAX. I waited out the horrendously long line on Friday, and then was surprised to find the 3D station with no line later on Sunday and hit it up again.

I was trying to keep a sharp eye for any oddities I hadn't heard about yet, or hints at things that we're not supposed to know yet and I think I've found a few. I'm going to shamelessly copy/paste from a write-up I did for my guild. ;)

Let's see, first things first, a daggers necro felt like playing a touch ranger.
    I got to try out the GW2 demo in 3d on 3 screens. It was amazing, though bordering on overwhelming. I don't think I'd be able to marathon it for days, but for the 40 minutes of the demo it was fine. Surprisingly, the part that bothered me most was the peripheral vision from the surround screens. It was really cool, but would take a lot of getting used to.

Kekai gave me the tip that the necro spell effects were really cool in 3d, and he wasn't lying. The locust swarm had all the bugs buzzing forward and backward through space, and seeing the depth of that death shroud trail was neat.

I tried necro to see the 3d effects, but was pleasantly surprised when the dagger necro skills felt like I was playing a touch ranger in the old days of terrorizing random arenas because no one was smart enough to bring snares. Now I'll definitely need to make a necro... that makes a third character for someone who wanted to avoid alts.

To add, despite my necro being melee range I had no trouble with hitting enemies. Having the Vampiric Bite type skill able to immediately refire after being used, for a constant stream of skill usage, made it easy to just keep attacking while moving along with enemies.

And the dagger necro is incredibly hardy with all that life stealing. Despite not using my death shroud once, I never fell below half health even in the thick of the Shatterer fight. And despite spamming the heck out of my spells, my energy bar never budged from full. If you watched closely you could see the numbers changing, but it was never enough to move the bar graphic.

Touch ranger indeed!

This brings me to my next revelation: energy potions won't affect skilled players. I know here people were pretty sane about energy potions, but just as a counter for anyone who decides to read the angst that happens on guru...
    I'm no longer worried about the energy potions, at least as far as PvE is concerned. 80% of the players playing the demo were really, really stupid, as you would expect from someone who's never played Guild Wars before and has been dumped into a level 47 boss fight. Almost every demo station told the same story, of players spamming their first two skills and then frantically dodging. They were burning through their stack of potions provided in the demo as though they were candy.

On the other hand, my boyfriend, myself, and the other GW1 vet that was in line with us didn't have to use a single potion the entire time despite throwing ourselves straight into whatever groups of enemies where available.

This could have been expected for warrior and ranger, but our new friend for those 3-4 hours played as an elementalist, and not conservatively either.

So basically my feeling is that potions are functioning as a stupid tax, if you will. It's a gold sink that disproportionately affects poor players. Its basically a way for the lesser skilled among us to work a little harder and buy their way through content they otherwise would have been locked out of.

While I thought I would miss the strategy that was energy management, so far I feel like there's plenty of new complexity, especially with so much movement going on, to make up for it.

One of my most unexpected insights was about the assassin's likely return with a true invisibility mechanic.
    The lowbie humans didn't get a full skill bar to start, as they had locked weapon skills they needed to yet earn, so I didn't even bother checking out pet skills on them. One of my goals heading in was to check out the buffs of the moa, so this was mildly disappointing.

On the bright side though, I checked out the cat pet's skills on the 40-something Charr. While it was disabled for the demo, there was a skill for invisibility. Not stealth, but specifically "Invisibility." The elementalist also had a heal with invisibility attached, although for a very short duration. And what the ele used was true invisibility, where the only reason you could still see where the ele was was due to its spell effects still going off around seemingly nothing.

It seems highly unlikely that the invisibility mechanic would be implemented just for a pet and an elementalist heal, which points to it being the assassin's profession mechanic. However, invisibility's failings in other games, and the primary reason why I believe we have never seen such a thing in Guild Wars, is its lack of an appropriate counter.

To keep gameplay balanced and engaging, your ability to defeat an opponent should never depend on that opponent making a mistake. If a strategy exists, there should also exist some tool you can bring to befuddle it. Such is how a healthy meta-game is born.

To that end, I noticed that the ranger has a tracking utility skill which is supposed to extend the range of the radar and reveal hidden monsters. "Hidden" monsters sounds a lot like invisible or stealthed ones to me. So not only do we have a stealth mechanic already in the game and on player characters, but we also have a counter to it in the game.

I can't wait for the next profession reveal so we can see the full extent of the assassin's stealth capabilities. ...also if assassin can use a rifle and thus if I'll be able to make my precious Sylvari sniper.

Lastly, despite all the rabid guru hate for the monk, the blue macy lady profession is no doubt going to be an evolution of the active prot playstyle.
    My boyfriend is the epitome of the GW1 monk. He's played every role the monk could fill, earned more millions of exp than my main toon despite my playing longer than him, and even played competitive GvG for a while.

None of the current classes available are really support oriented, but with the stunning effects of the mace, the ally shielding options of the shield, and the party-wide buffs of banners, he thought he would try to see what support options he could squeeze out of warrior. It really didn't work. Despite warrior being able to support on paper, the warrior will not play as a primarily support profession.

Later, he and I had the great fortune to get ourselves into the ANet after hours party.

Of course, my boyfriend had to bring up his disappointment to the designers, and they were more than happy to chat with him at length about the differences between healing and active prot, a topic which he's pretty passionate about (he despises healing). They were amused at his crippling red-bar syndrome, which to this day prevents this hard core GW fan from navigating between Ascalon City and Fort Ranik (two of the earliest starter towns which are in fact quite close to one another). They also weren't shy about pointing out that red-bar syndrome is one reason why the dedicated healer has been abolished from GW2.

On the other hand, they assured him repeatedly, from many different mouths, that there will definitely be a place for people who played prot monks in GW1. Active situationaly aware support is something that will feature prominently in GW2, even though we haven't yet seen a profession that's really capable of it.

I almost guarantee we will see it come in the form of that second soldier class with all her Dwayna blue and mace-shieldy goodness.

Lastly, here are a couple of other little trivia bits that came out of Saturday for us:

Katy Hargrove got asked why she gave the Charr 4 ears. Apparently the upper pair hears high frequency sounds and the lower pair hears low frequency sounds, but they're left with relatively poor mid-frequency hearing and as a result have trouble hearing human speech clearly.

Hooray for strained alliances being based on something other than just "we warred forever."

Kristin Perry said that the 90 or so dyes in the demo are just the tip of the iceberg. Apparently new characters in the real game will get around 6 or so dyes available to them, varying by race. Every character will eventually be able to unlock (buy?) every dye, but one would imagine accumulating a complete set would be a daunting task. I know GW2 hasn't been too completionist friendly so far, but here's one aspect that's looking to be.

Jenosavel on
    edited September 2010
    That was a lot to take in, thanks for the writeup on your experience Jenosavel. I am imagining it all playing out now in my head.

I didn't know Charr had 4 ears... they don't really look like they do. The lower one is there but I thought it was a hair protrusion or a whisker. Interesting.

I am considering a human assassin as my first alt profession, provided your speculation on their existence and stealth mechanics is true. Could be very interesting to use in PvP.

I now really wish I had had the chance to go to PAX Prime and check the demo out, even if I would have been one of those unskilled masses spamming the first 2 skills. I look forward to going OCD on the retail release.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
    edited September 2010
    Oh come on, it's not speculation about the assassin, artwork depicting them appears in the damn MMO Manifesto video.

reVerse on
    edited September 2010
    Oh come on, it's not speculation about the assassin, artwork depicting them appears in the damn MMO Manifesto video.

And in Core's Wallpaper pick at the bottom of the OP. Nothing is for certain but it may as well be.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Entaru wrote: »
    http://www.destructoid.com/pax-10-a-hands-off-look-at-guild-wars-2-183338.phtml

Here's another one with some interesting tidbits about the armor system.

Edit:
    Personalization is a big deal in this game, and this is also reflected in your appearance. The actual armor your character wears is purely cosmetic; stats and bonuses are instead conferred through crests that you socket into your armor. While it does sacrifice realism for the sake of personalization, since in the real world a pirate costume is obviously less effective than a full suit of plate armor, the crests will allow you to give your character a look you actually like, and will hopefully keep everyone from running around in identical gear. It also allows characters to become legitimately recognizable beyond the name above their head, with the idea being that you start recognizing people on your server simply based on their looks.

Yessss. Yessss it pleases usssss

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh, YES.

Glory be.

I am very happy with that.

Very, very, very happy with that.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
    edited September 2010
    Apparently that's not accurate and armor does have stats.

reVerse on
    edited September 2010
    D:

Everything is terrible

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
    edited September 2010
    Basil wrote: »
    D:

Everything is terrible

That doesn't mean you can't tweak how it looks.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
    edited September 2010
    I'd imagine it'll follow the GW1 model of "everything has the same stats and you pick the armor that looks best" and then you modify it with runes/crests.

reVerse on
    edited September 2010
    I'd imagine it'll follow the GW1 model of "everything has the same stats and you pick the armor that looks best" and then you modify it with runes/crests.

That combat article from TenTonHammer says they use crests, runes have been replaced by the trait system.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
    edited September 2010
    Corehealer wrote: »

That combat article from TenTonHammer says they use crests, runes have been replaced by the trait system.

With runes I was referring to how gear itemization was done in GW1, and crests will be taking gear customization role in GW2. I realize I wasn't super clear about that.

reVerse on
  • REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    reVerse hates us all

Sacrifice him to ANet!

REG Rysk on
    edited September 2010
    That's not a good reason to sacrifice someone.

reVerse on
    edited September 2010
    That's not a good reason to sacrifice someone.

He has no good reasons.

Sacrifice!

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
    edited September 2010
    Oooga chuga, ooga chuga, ooga, ooga, ooga chuga!

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Found vaguely official word that we will know details on the HoM and GW2 by the end of this year.

Edit: Also, found some stuff via GW2Guru.

Golem "Hazmat" suit skills:
    Punch- Description: Punch; Effect: Attack enemy twice

Whirling Assualt- Description: Spin the upper portion of hazmat suit, knocking back enemies; Effect: Move forward knocking back and dealing damage to enemies you hit while spinning

Gatling Fists- Description: Shoot a barrage of missles at target enemy; Effect: Repeatedly shoot missles enemy while holding skill down

Self Repair- Description: Engage the hazmat suit's self repair mechanism; Effect: Heals 200 health per second while holding down the skill

Leave Suit- Description: Exits the hazmat suit

Gameplay Q&A
    Q. Do all elite skills have the same recharge timer? Is it possible to switch them out before another battle?

A: The plan that we have for all elite skills and utility skills is that when a skill's in recharge you can't actually swap it out. We're still trying to figure out how we're gonna plan to do that and make it easy. But the idea is that you can't use a skill and then swap it out while it's on recharge, we don't want that.
    Q:Will the character naming rules remain the same in GW2 as in GW1?

A: Well straight up no because right now you can actually have characters that have only one name.

Lore Q&A (Note: GW1 spoilers)

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Enig wrote: »
    only one name

Thank God. My stock of MMO character names does not include surnames!

Vi Monks on
    edited September 2010
    That is one that I don't like all that much. It doesn't really make sense for people to be running around with just a given name. Less trivially, it also means some names will get taken. I think it works better if everyone has to choose a surname, then it doesn't matter if two people share a name.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That is one that I don't like all that much. It doesn't really make sense for people to be running around with just a given name. Less trivially, it also means some names will get taken. I think it works better if everyone has to choose a surname, then it doesn't matter if two people share a name.

I totally get where you're coming from and think you're right, and if you can think of a good surname for me, I'll sign your internet petition. :P

Vi Monks on
  • TeyarTeyar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wait. Those arent just robot PETS, but robot SUITS? I can play a MECHA PILOT amphibian-looking gnome and go up against steampunk-rifle weilding industrialist cat men, and elementally-shifting magic weilding plant people, punching them all out with ELECTRIC JUSTICE?

This is a day one buy, here, people. I dont care about anything else. Just look at the concentrated awesome in that sentance.

Teyar on
    Kick At The Darkness Until It Bleeds Daylight
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Cards were given out at PAX.

Note the first card in the first link. Female Gunner. Human female holding 2 pistols in lightish looking armour. I think we have our second adventurer class.

-Loki- on
    edited September 2010
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Cards were given out at PAX.

Note the first card in the first link. Female Gunner. Human female holding 2 pistols in lightish looking armour. I think we have our second adventurer class.

Those are pretty cool. I haven't seen that crazy Asura armor before. That gunner concept art has been around for a long while though, with "Female Gunner" as the filename as well, so there's been quite a lot of speculation about it already.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:FemaleGunner.jpg

I'm kind of expecting a class which can use pistols and rifles, but I would expect it to be a little more elaborate than just a "gunner", as each class needs to be unique. They've got to differentiate it from Ranger which can use two types of ranged weapons already (granted, with the pet mechanic as well). So I wonder, what kind of mechanics would go well with a firearms user?

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    edited September 2010
    I'm kind of expecting a class which can use pistols and rifles, but I would expect it to be a little more elaborate than just a "gunner", as each class needs to be unique. They've got to differentiate it from Ranger which can use two types of ranged weapons already (granted, with the pet mechanic as well). So I wonder, what kind of mechanics would go well with a firearms user?

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    There's also bee concept art around for a Charr Gunslinger. Which I think would be a better name.

However, we still don't have a class that mains pistols or rifles. Warriors can use rifles - but also bows. Having a class that mains pistols and rifles would make sense. Making the final adventurer an assassin maining daggers gives all weapons a primary wielder. This is pretty much what I'm expecting - Gunslinger maining pistols and rifles, assassin maining daggers, mesmer for the final scholar and paragon for the final soldier, but using only melee weapons (and would be the class Arenanet are talking about being suited to people who liked prot monking, since it fits the paragon classes group wide shout buffs).

Mechanics wise... who knows? Maybe make guns more like recurve bows from GW 1. They have a really fast projectile flight time and no arc, and make them focused on damage. Making it a ranged, damage based class would be offset by its lighter armour - something they kind of forgot to do to paragons in GW 1.

-Loki- on
    edited September 2010
    I suspect a lot of people will go dual pistols if the option is available. Nothing says "cool" like two pistols. They'll all be named Neo or something.

Rather than the primary gun-user, I am kind of curious to see if the assassin/rogue class we are expecting gets to use pistols. There could be some fun combinations with sword/pistol, etc.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    edited September 2010
    There could be some really fun animations for using dagger/pistol. Imagine something like the ranger serpent strike animation. The assassin dives in with a dagger strike, rolls behind the enemy, shoots them in the back, rolls back around and strikes with the dagger again, and jumps back out of range.

-Loki- on
  • JenosavelJenosavel Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've been wondering the same Enig. Ever since in Ghosts of Ascalon...
    Ember appears to be an assassin and her main weapons are her "dagger-like" claws and pistols.

Assassins with pistols and rifles would make me very happy, and while I'm not fully expecting both, I think we'll at least see one or the other gun type on assassins. I'm pretty surprised that I'm looking forward to guns so much, since I was really put off by them when I first heard GW2 would add guns to the weapon line-up.

Heh, I would love to have an assassin with one weapon set being a dagger and pistol, and the other set being a rifle. /dream

Jenosavel on
    edited September 2010
    The main problem I'm having, is if there is an assassin that uses pistols, we still don't have a class that mains rifles. Short of making a gunslinger that works like a lighter armoured ranged warrior, the rifle will be the only weapon in the game that isn't used as a primary weapon. Hell, used at all except by the warrior, which I'm guessing is more utilitarian in use than its melee weapons.

But then, the gunslinger might not do much that is unique. The ranger has some of the warriors melee weapons, but uses them in a totally different way, more acrobatic than brute force. You can't do much different, animation wise, with ranged weapons.

-Loki- on
    edited September 2010
    The gunner will hold two pistols in one hand. Upside down and right side up.

And the rifle will be held under the crook of their arm.

Their free hand will be for a hunting horn.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
    edited September 2010

I'd imagine the big draw of a Gunner would be the lack of motherfucking cocksucking pet that runs around and aggroes everything and dies yeah you died now you stupid shit but will you learn from your mistakes of course not you'll just run aroudn and aggro everything soon as I rez you you fucking bucket of fetid diarrhea.

And there are some people out there who would enjoy a petless ranged class.

reVerse on
  • ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I'd imagine the big draw of a Gunner would be the lack of motherfucking cocksucking pet that runs around and aggroes everything and dies yeah you died now you stupid shit but will you learn from your mistakes of course not you'll just run aroudn and aggro everything soon as I rez you you fucking bucket of fetid diarrhea.

And there are some people out there who would enjoy a petless ranged class.

I am that person. I thought ranger was cool until I read in their follow up that there was no real way to avoid pet use.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • TeyarTeyar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Okay, just since its currently the big RAGE issue in the FF14 thread ( I swear i've given up on that game before its even released.) any news on economy stuffs, Auction house yes/no?

Teyar on
    Kick At The Darkness Until It Bleeds Daylight
This discussion has been closed.