As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Apple To Developers: Fuck You

1232425262729»

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    i interpreted it as a statement that nintendo expects skynet to start sending in the terminators to cupertino

Dehumanized on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So long as Apple doesn't design another Pippin, it can't be that bad.

If there's one thing the iPhone has guaranteed, its that they won't try and make a portable successor to the Pippin.

Synthesis on
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Wow. Nintendo just declared war on Apple.

This could get interesting.

A 21% sudden loss of profit is pretty staggering for the biggest video game company in the world, but I think it's a little premature to place that all at the feet of the iPhone digging into the DS' turf.

The anti-Wii backlash has been long in the coming, and seems (financially) to be hitting its stride right now. Developers are tired of losing money and time porting over games that won't sell, and the public is tired of playing the same game with Nintendo across three systems now, i.e., buying a console only to play a handful of 1st-party titles.

I haven't looked at it in a few months, but in a similar discussion I had at one point about Nintendo and their sales outlook, I noted that while Nintendo overwhelmingly dominates the marketshare in terms of titles sold, in their top Current and top Overall categories you don't see a third-party title for quite a while; the ratio is something stupid in their top sales categories, like fifteen first-party titles for every third-party.

Not only that, but at the very top of their sales lists are not traditional gaming titles, but things like Wii Sports (comes with the system), Wii Games (comes with an extra controller), and Wii Fit (comes with Wii Board). The bottom line is quite obvious: no one is playing games on the Wii. They may be using the Wii quite a bit, and Mario, Metroid, and Zelda will always do well, but outside of those functions, no one is using the Wii.

And why should they? While it is admittedly inexpensive, it's also fairly low on utility. It's graphics are nearing on two-generations old, its data capacity is extremely limited compared to the competition (which, in turn, limits the gaming experience), its limited tertiary functions like News and Weather are unwieldy and childish, the Opera browser is practically unusable, and while the recent addition of Netflix capability is nice, it doesn't allow for their HD output, nor does it play DVDs or Blu-Ray discs. Is WiiWare valuable? It could be, but I'm not sure about the long-term viability of a model that asks $10 and up for truncated mini-games, or $5 and up for NES/SNES games that everyone already has paid for on other systems or can play for free via online emulators.

Long story short, Apple is indeed a threat to Nintendo, and Nintendo is wise to acknowledge this. The iPad, iPod touch, and iPhone are basically better models of the DS, offering viewing size, graphical capability, screen brightness, catalog depth, and value that Nintendo can't even hope to compete with on their increasingly-obsolete handheld. The iProducts don't even need a clumsy stylus, but will let you still use one if you want. Sure, the DSixl is a cheaper option even over the iPhone, but let's hope that all you want to do is play games, because it's sure not going to be the thousands of other things that the iProducts can be.

A lot of things are to blame for the decreasing profitshare for Nintendo; the economy, the Wii console's age, the lack of developers, the lack of titles, Apple coming to be a big-hitter in the handheld market. But Nintendo's #1 obstacle? Themselves.

Atomika on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I hate itunes store because it just tells me "Haha, no, fuck you, Brazilian Scum, hell no I won't sell you any songs or even let you subscribe to free podcasts. Go die in a fire, you dirty latin american"

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I hate itunes store because it just tells me "Haha, no, fuck you, Brazilian Scum, hell no I won't sell you any songs or even let you subscribe to free podcasts. Go die in a fire, you dirty latin american"

That is what you get for living outside the Greatest Country in the World (tm).

Couscous on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Couscous wrote: »

That is what you get for living outside the Greatest Country in the World (tm).

I'm sure he's already heard that from a rep. [strike]at an Apple Store in Brazil[/strike] in an email from Apple. Old news.

Synthesis on
  • JacksWastedLifeJacksWastedLife Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    syndalis wrote: »
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    JHunz wrote: »
    Opera sides with Apple in the Flash debacle.

Good. The sooner Flash disappears, the better.

No surprise there. The reason I stopped using Opera (many years ago) was when every Flash object that loaded up crashed the whole browser. I assume it's gotten better since then, but I'm sure they'd like it to die.
    They're only saying that because Apple let them put their shitty browser on the I-phone.
    And microsoft is only saying it because...?

Yeah, it's pretty clear that DanHibiki doesn't know what the hell he's talking about.

The fact is this: Flash has to go. Everyone knows it, but only a few companies are brave enough to actually say it. Microsoft, Apple, Opera, etc. They others... they are quite happy to ride on the shoulders of a broken, insecure, unstable platform. They can rot in hell along with Flash.

Yeah, cause nothing is better than waiting 9+ years for standards to be agreed upon, and then implemented... maybe within 5 years... and maybe with similar browser implementation.

Joe Hewitt said it better (as consolidated by techcrunch) http://techcrunch.com/2010/04/30/joe-hewitt-web-development/

JacksWastedLife on
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So, this morning it's developers 1, Apple 0 as Apple both retracts their ban on third party middleware and publically posts the App Store approval guidelines. Of course, said guidelines show that Apple continues to cowering before the PTC.

Oh Steve, don't you know that once you pay the danegeld, you'll never get rid of the Dane?

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So, this morning it's developers 1, Apple 0 as Apple both retracts their ban on third party middleware and publically posts the App Store approval guidelines. Of course, said guidelines show that Apple continues to cowering before the PTC.

Oh Steve, don't you know that once you pay the danegeld, you'll never get rid of the Dane?

Link? And what the hell's a danegeld?

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Vikings.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
    edited September 2010
    Demiurge wrote: »

Vikings.

I figured it was something norse, but I think it's kind of a stretch to say the PTC are a group of vikings pillaging Apple headquarters and raping Steve Jobs.

cloudeagle on
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I think you have to have one of the iOS paid developer accounts to view the document.

If you don't mind reading Daring Fireball (Gruber is a huge Apple cheerleader, so be warned, though I think the summary's mostly a summary and not a rah-rah) there's a summary of some of the changes: http://daringfireball.net/2010/09/app_store_guidelines

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    Reading what the PTC was pressuring apple to do, i guess i am having a hard time being upset about it. They basically asked apple to put racy screenshots in the app store behind an age filter, so kids couldn't access them.

Not really terrible as far as i can tell.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Now if I can have a native Google Voice app, my happiness shall be complete.

enc0re on
    edited September 2010

Apple ends middleware ban.

App Store review guidelines highlights.

As for the danegeld line, its a paraphrase of the last line of a poem that points out that once you give into an extortionist (which the PTC very much is), they don't go away.

AngelHedgie on
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I think you have to have one of the iOS paid developer accounts to view the document.

If you don't mind reading Daring Fireball (Gruber is a huge Apple cheerleader, so be warned, though I think the summary's mostly a summary and not a rah-rah) there's a summary of some of the changes: http://daringfireball.net/2010/09/app_store_guidelines

I haven't head that specific post yet but hopefully his tears will be delicious. It was his two posts on the original banning that generated all the talking points for the "pro-apple fucking over developers" camp. To have apple so publically reverse it's decision must be quite a shock to his psyche.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
    edited September 2010

I haven't head that specific post yet but hopefully his tears will be delicious. It was his two posts on the original banning that generated all the talking points for the "pro-apple fucking over developers" camp. To have apple so publically reverse it's decision must be quite a shock to his psyche.
    By banning are you referring to the banning using a 3rd party compiler to create an iOS binary? 'Cause he doesn't focus too much on that. Just to say that it's been changed. He spends far more time on the (seemingly) more substantial changes to (and introduction to) the app-store review process.

iTunesIsEvil on
    edited September 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Reading what the PTC was pressuring apple to do, i guess i am having a hard time being upset about it. They basically asked apple to put racy screenshots in the app store behind an age filter, so kids couldn't access them.

The PTC is a pretty horrible group. They are responsible for almost all obscenity complaints (we are talking three nines or better here) to the FCC. They have been behind pushes for video game restriction laws.

The only response they merit is one consisting of two words, one of which is "you". I'll let you figure out what the other one is.

Sourcewatch on the PTC.

AngelHedgie on
    edited September 2010

By banning are you referring to the banning using a 3rd party compiler to create an iOS binary? 'Cause he doesn't focus too much on that. Just to say that it's been changed. He spends far more time on the (seemingly) more substantial changes to (and introduction to) the app-store review process.

Which is to be expected. He didn't apologize for defending Apple's attack on the First Amendment, after all.

(His "stop emailing me about Judith Miller" post was hilarious, though.)

AngelHedgie on
    edited September 2010
    Why would he have apologized? What if he feels he was right? Did Apple admit wrong-doing? I'm not that familiar with the case you're discussing. Got a link? I assume this has to do with newspapers publishing details about Apple products prior to release or something...

iTunesIsEvil on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    apple jsut doesn't want to fall behindon apps development as there is now actual competition emerging

nexuscrawler on
    edited September 2010
    I love that Apple has created "The Fiore Rule".

AngelHedgie on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    Which is to be expected. He didn't apologize for defending Apple's attack on the First Amendment, after all.

what was apple's "attack on the First Amendment" again?

you do realize that you come off as kind of breathless and overwrought, right AH? It kind of makes it difficult for people to take what you're saying seriously.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited September 2010
    apple jsut doesn't want to fall behindon apps development as there is now actual competition emerging

it seems like their central objection was to lazy flash-based shovelware, and that they tried to erect a structure around that idea.

which i can see, especially since flash for mobile devices sucks so much

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited September 2010

The PTC is a pretty horrible group. They are responsible for almost all obscenity complaints (we are talking three nines or better here) to the FCC. They have been behind pushes for video game restriction laws.

The only response they merit is one consisting of two words, one of which is "you". I'll let you figure out what the other one is.

Sourcewatch on the PTC.

i'm sure i would dislike the group

and i noticed that they felt like that apple did not adhere to their requests to the extent that they wanted.

i guess i feel like the particular thing that apple changed does not feel objectionable to me.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited September 2010

you do realize that you come off as kind of breathless and overwrought, right AH? It kind of makes it difficult for people to take what you're saying seriously.

Apple v. Does, where Apple tried to claim that bloggers were not journalists and that trade secret law trumped freedom of the press.

AngelHedgie on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    heh I flipped through their review process doc

one of their rules for rejection is "if your software's metadata mentions any other mobile platform"

nexuscrawler on
    edited September 2010

Apple v. Does, where Apple tried to claim that bloggers were not journalists and that trade secret law trumped freedom of the press.

oh yeah i don't care that much about that. i guess i see it as legitimately competing interests.

it makes sense that companies would try to protect trade secrets. i guess i'm also fine that the finding was against them though.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited September 2010

I'm guessing this is why they eased the restrictions, now that Android is getting more and more attention.

cloudeagle on
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ahh. Good for Apple. I assume that the restriction on downloaded code is meant to make sure that Flash on web pages is still banned.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.