As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

(Doodle) All Night Long (NSFW)

• r-jasperr-jasper Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    i love that over extension iruka!

r-jasper on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    As far as I'm concerned that should be the way that all rich pompous people should walk from now on.
    That way if a beggar gets in their way they can promptly kick them in the face without breaking their stride or their patrician façade.

Mustang on
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That reminds me of how poodles walk. Snooty dogs.

Ikage - Normally i would use multiply for the base colour, and then paintover the pencil drawing just on a normal layer. I do sometimes use things like 'Screen' and 'Lighten' for glows. I'll try playing around with other layers.

Leggs - cheers man. youre right about the digital face not working as well. Theres something abouit the pencil drawing with has more character and life. (seems to be a re-occuring issue when i go from pencil to digital rendering)

winter_combat_knight on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    gonna try and work on something gradually instead of all at once
    28a8if4.jpg

Tam on
  • vector010vector010 Registered User new member
    edited September 2010
    I have been LOVING all the art in this thread. Since I'm going to college for web design I figured I'd start back into art and made myself a goal of an art project a day. Here is the first. Please be kind, it's been 12 years since I did anything artistic sadly. The IT field doesn't tend to need artists. haha

girl.jpg

Pretty much everything on here puts me to shame, but some advice would be nice. Yeah, nudy woman. Trying to practice anatomy, motion, gravity, and poses...

vector010 on
  • ObilexObilex Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    igi33.jpg

definitely Ashley Wood inspired, I need to go to sleep now.

Obilex on
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    vector010 wrote: »
    I have been LOVING all the art in this thread. Since I'm going to college for web design I figured I'd start back into art and made myself a goal of an art project a day. Here is the first. Please be kind, it's been 12 years since I did anything artistic sadly. The IT field doesn't tend to need artists. haha

[snip]

Pretty much everything on here puts me to shame, but some advice would be nice. Yeah, nudy woman. Trying to practice anatomy, motion, gravity, and poses...

Focus on one at a time, I say. I would start with your proportions. Practice drawing the body in block forms, maybe?

If you can spare a bit of cash, there's a list of good books in the questions thread that would surely help you out.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
    edited September 2010
    If you can spare a bit of cash, there's a list of good books in the questions thread that would surely help you out.

Agree. Google 'free loomis pdfs' and some links should come up. If you really want to go cheap, go to your college library and try to find a Bridgeman book and photocopy it. There was one at my University and i photocopied the entire book for around $7. It takes a long time but if i where to buy it at Borders it would have been around $60!

BOTTOM OF MR PAGE 74
    girl.jpg
    Obilex wrote: »
    igi33.jpg

definitely Ashley Wood inspired, I need to go to sleep now.
    Tam wrote: »
    gonna try and work on something gradually instead of all at once
    28a8if4.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

girl.jpg

I think you're trying to practice too many things at once (even though they all technically tie in with one another in the wonderful world of figure drawing). Absolutely start drawing figures from life if you can - from pictures if you can't. Sexxay ladies are only sexxay if drawn properly, and this girl's got a whole lotta issues going on. Start with the simple - pencil and paper. :)

NightDragon on
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sexy women are something I cannot draw, and I have thousands of hours of figure drawing behind me.

Ah man... now I am depressed

rts on
  • CountBlackulaCountBlackula MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Don't be depressed, cake...

I love Daredevil. :D

DD2.jpg

CountBlackula on
    8JHfoFW.png Dom's Sketch Cast
  • bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Tam i don't think you want to keep going with that.

slippery slopes and all.

before you know it you will have spend 20 hours on it's torso, of which the last five didicated to getting his nipples juuuust right

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    cakemikz wrote: »
    Sexy women are something I cannot draw, and I have thousands of hours of figure drawing behind me.

but you do draw sexy ladies, cake!

Brolo on
  • ShizumaruShizumaru Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    cakemikz wrote: »

You mean you haven't been encouraged to endlessly copy elvgren?

Shizumaru on
    edited September 2010
    bwanie wrote: »
    Tam i don't think you want to keep going with that.

slippery slopes and all.

before you know it you will have spend 20 hours on it's torso, of which the last five didicated to getting his nipples juuuust right

sometimes, bwanie, a dude's just gotta paint a weredog

Tam on
  • desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    4a9d57b8.png

desperaterobots on
  • F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nice, DR. I really wish you would paint different subjects. I feel like I've seen that before, kind of.

F87 on
  • ObilexObilex Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    count, your daredevil definitely looks left handed if you know what I mean ;)

Obilex on
  • the_monarch23the_monarch23 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hey guys and dolls. I'm sick of drawing static, meaningless crap, so I am trying to work on showing motion. Goddamit, I just realised he doesn't have eyebrows. Besides that, does this look relatively realistic? Thanks for the help.

WALK.jpg

the_monarch23 on
    "Gott in himmel! Fritz, vee haff named our car after ein lady-garten."
    ~Jeremy Clarkson
  • ThaneThane Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't know what realistic is anymore, but he does look like hes busting some mad moves there

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
    edited September 2010
    HAHA, thanks Thane. He's supposed to be waling into the wind.

the_monarch23 on
    ~Jeremy Clarkson
    edited September 2010
    the_monarch23 - Damn, i gotta start doing more less static poses too..
    It doesnt look realistic in regards to looking 'life-like', but it is believable. You've definately captured movement in the drawing, so thumbs-up.

btw your drawing looks like it's drawn with a crayon. Is this a small drawing enlarged digitally, or are you using a thick pencil. just curious.

winter_combat_knight on
    edited September 2010
    F87 wrote: »
    Nice, DR. I really wish you would paint different subjects. I feel like I've seen that before, kind of.

It really wouldn't be DR art if it didn't contain crazy eyes and an epic quaff.

Mustang on
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yesss. Quaff.

NibCrom on
    edited September 2010
    Man wish that someone would defend my anatomy issues by saying

"It wouldnt really be WCK art if it didn't contain Michael Jacksons noses and chins?
    note the plurals in that sentence

winter_combat_knight on
  • desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Mustang wrote: »
    F87 wrote: »

It really wouldn't be DR art if it didn't contain crazy eyes and an epic quaff.

Haha. I'm putting a show together which is going to be all of these portrait things. So they're kind of a series, i guess. I'm enjoying playing with colour!

desperaterobots on
  • F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I really do like them, they are very well done.

F87 on
    edited September 2010
    the_monarch23 - Damn, i gotta start doing more less static poses too..
    It doesnt look realistic in regards to looking 'life-like', but it is believable. You've definately captured movement in the drawing, so thumbs-up.

btw your drawing looks like it's drawn with a crayon. Is this a small drawing enlarged digitally, or are you using a thick pencil. just curious.

Thanks, WCK. Yeah, I didn't mean photo realistic, just not like he has extra joints or unproportioned parts. I used an 8B pencil to go over my light lines and... it looks like shit. It's not bad for large canvas work, but its bad for shading/small stuff.

the_monarch23 on
    ~Jeremy Clarkson
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    One day, DR, I will buy one of your paintings. It will be glorious.

Also, Pokemon.
    Pokegroupgroup.jpg

Iruka on
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So yeah, dragon contest. Working on the composition and I'm stumped. Originally I had a dorf running side by side with the elf on the right, but couldn't get it to work. Should I crop it? I feel like that will remove any movement from the piece. Or put some landscape on the right? I'm not sure.

Thanks for any help guys.

dragonwip.jpg

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Just more playing around with composition and tone. As you can see I've been liking hexagons lately.

One of these days I'll scan my actual pen and pencil sketches.

00212pk3

00211tcf

00214yzf

I like the first one the best. Last might do well for some sort of logo.

Passerbye on
    edited September 2010
    Oh wow, I had no idea you posted here. I'm a beartato fan, also you have nice hexagons.
    They're no octagons mind you, but we can't all have 8 sides I suppose.

Mustang on
    edited September 2010
    This is giving me the shits at the moment. really failing on this one. Spent loads of time on it but ive reached a block where ive realised the colours, composition and content are crap.

surprisingly the photo actually makes the painting look better :)

shitty-painting.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • vector010vector010 Registered User new member
    edited September 2010
    Hmm, doodling in meetings today. Did poses trying to look at proportions since that was mentioned about my last thing. Then looked it up on my art and anotomy references. I'm having trouble seeing where my proportions are off. Unless people were talking about how she basically had no internal organs. haha. Can anyone see what I'm missing here?

doodley.jpg

And bob isn't meant to be art.. he's more like a silly 2 minute doodle.

vector010 on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    ive reached a block where ive realised the colours, composition and content are crap.

On the later 2 bits, isn't that what everyone here pointed out to you, like, 2 months ago?

I'm not going to dwell on that, because it's already been covered. What I will say is that that "Lisa Frank" palette has got to go.

Ok, for one thing, you're not going to get such a quick transition from orange->purple in an actual sky, at least not on this planet. If you looked in the opposite direction of the sun you might get that purple in the sky, but that's going to be a much larger distance than what you're got.

Second, water isn't fucking blue (I'm cursing because I know I've said this exact point a hundred goddamned times already). Water only appears blue when it is reflecting a blue sky or other blue object, or it's water for a mini-golf course that somebody has dyed with a bunch of chemicals. This means, if your sky is orange and purple, your water is also generally going to be orange and purple. Forcing it to be blue may work in a cartoon, but not in anything that's supposed to look realistic.

What color did you make your water? Blue. Does that make any sense given its surroundings? No.

With that settled, there's the broad issue of working out what the hell the color scheme for this thing is supposed to be. How are you unifying the composition with your color? Well, at this point, the simple answer is you're not. It's a jumble of local, 'plant=green jeans=blue' colors with a sort of half-assed lip service towards light and shade.

Easiest thing to do, simplify the shit out of it. Light source is orange. Mix in orange pigment into all lit areas. Use the light bouncing off that purple/pink in the part of the sky you can't see in the picture and establish that as your general shadow color, introduce it into all shaded areas. Bam, a solid, though admittedly not exactly brilliant color scheme has been established. Everything is either basically orange or basically purple, tying everything together into a strong, simple statement.

WCK_beach.jpg

Now, obviously, not every painting in the world is or should be simplified down so much to the point where local color is practically a non-factor, but until you understand the necessary role of light in color- and for that matter, until you understand light in general, you're simply not going to be able to wield local color effectively when it comes to realistic art. You'll get a lot farther a lot faster by making intelligent decisions on how and why to simplify, than you will by just plowing ahead and hoping it works out in the end.

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited September 2010
    Thanks for the advice bacon. It really helps.

I know that kinda sounds patronising but i really dont mean to be. I do appreciate the post, I just have no words except for poor excuses to justify my decisions (which theres no point posting - if it looks wrong, its wrong).

winter_combat_knight on
  • FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Bacon you always just make me want to paint forever

Usually when I am running late for something or should be working on other things.

Fugitive on
  • KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    mb27.jpg
    mb26.jpg

did these to add a little more process to the portfolio- Demonstrating thumbs to roughs-... Critical feedback welcomed.

Kendeathwalker on
    edited September 2010
    something about fat cop doesn't sit right with me- I think it has something to do with the arms
    also middle cop's head looks a little too small
    everything else is cool though

Tam on
  • KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    dopey fat one on the right ?

his legs are really short.. but his arms are normal length.. thats propably what it is..?

Kendeathwalker on
This discussion has been closed.