As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mac Thread: Yes you can turn off the 3d glass effect! W/Y/H

• Mathew BurrackMathew Burrack CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Antishow wrote: »
    So... I don't know how or why, but it just started working on its own. I'm not sure what might have been wrong in the first place... does it matter if the monitor is connected when the machine boots up?

It shouldn't, but maybe there's something specific about the Rage128Pro that does require a monitor hooked up on power-on.

I know my Mini (despite it's current troubles) never had any trouble powering on and running without a monitor attached, so if there is a requirement for a monitor, it has to be with the gfx card or the gfx drivers, not OS X proper...

(btw, hardware test extended passed with no errors, and the other post made me realize I had TechTool Pro from my eMac, so that's running now. So far no errors, which is just weird as all heck...)

Mathew Burrack on
    "Let's take a look at the scores! The girls are at the square root of Pi, while the boys are still at a crudely drawn picture of a duck. Clearly, it's anybody's game!"
  • LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Is there a way to make NicePlayer the default video player for Safari? Right now I've got it so Quicktime (along with Flip4Mac) opens things like .wmv in Quicktime itself.

Not that I know of, seeing as there would have to be a NicePlayer Safari plugin, but I'm not sure why you'd want it either. Imbedded video works fine with the normal plugin. (Except for streaming Windows Media.)

LoneIgadzra on
  • HallucinogenHallucinogen Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Hey, I'm just wondering if it's safe to use the grounded extension cable/plug for an iBook, with a powerbook power supply(to power a powerbook, not an iBook)? I know that the powerbook's supply is 60watt, but I couldn't find anywhere on Apple's site the wattage for the iBook. I don't know if it even matters, the grounded extension cable shouldn't be any different between the two as far I can guess.

Edit: NM, I've found out it's a 65W powersupply for both the 14" ibook and 15" powerbook, so it's fine.

Hallucinogen on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Hey, I'm just wondering if it's safe to use the grounded extension cable/plug for an iBook, with a powerbook power supply(to power a powerbook, not an iBook)? I know that the powerbook's supply is 60watt, but I couldn't find anywhere on Apple's site the wattage for the iBook. I don't know if it even matters, the grounded extension cable shouldn't be any different between the two as far I can guess.

You can do this as you're going from a low wattage to a higher. It should still function, but you may find that if you do something intensive, like burning a DVD your PB might not be able to continue charging the battery, and is using all the power to stay awake.

I'm about to buy a 45W with my 65W 17" PB, and have been told by Apple Resellers it isn't a problem, with the caveat above.

Lewisham on
  • HallucinogenHallucinogen Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm not using a different powersupply than came with my powerbook, just a different extension cable. The removable adaptor part, that you can swap between a small two-prong plug and a grounded/3-prong extension cable.

Hallucinogen on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Well that makes no difference at all then.

Lewisham on
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So (new) Mac thread --

If final cut pro is like the gold standard mac program for editing video, is there something similar for audio?

I need something that will let me edit audio files as well as split L and R channel audio into separate tracks.

skippydumptruck on
  • DharmaBumDharmaBum Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Does anyone know of a good Quicken-like program for Macs?

Conversely, will Quicken run on a Mac?

DharmaBum on
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So (new) Mac thread --

If final cut pro is like the gold standard mac program for editing video, is there something similar for audio?

I need something that will let me edit audio files as well as split L and R channel audio into separate tracks.

http://www.apple.com/logicpro/

?

Also, the next poster asked about Quicken:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/applications/quicken/

But it's not updated as frequently as the Windows version. I think there may be a 2007 version out; not sure.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • GertBeefGertBeef Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Story:

Two weeks ago I noticed that a crack had formed on the front edge of the palm rest plastic of my macbook. This made me sad so I took it in to a mac service center to get fixed. They said that this kind of damage was covered by warrenty. It was ready to be picked up after 3 working days and I was happy.

It even has stronger plastic where the crack formed now. I guess it was a design floor in the earlier macbooks and its been happening to a few people.

GertBeef on
    gertsig.jpg
  • scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    my friends macbook pro is giving him some serious problems. browsing around mac forums suggested that he remove his battery and all his problem will be solved. the thing is.. they were right. so wtf? macbook pro is pretty much the only lappy I want out of all the ones out there.. is there a more elegant solution to this or are we wall plug bound?

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • lordswinglordswing Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    GertBeef wrote: »
    Story:

Two weeks ago I noticed that a crack had formed on the front edge of the palm rest plastic of my macbook. This made me sad so I took it in to a mac service center to get fixed. They said that this kind of damage was covered by warrenty. It was ready to be picked up after 3 working days and I was happy.

It even has stronger plastic where the crack formed now. I guess it was a design floor in the earlier macbooks and its been happening to a few people.

much <3

I have this exact same problem as well. Mine occurred on the right side, just above where the light is. This makes me happy. Just curious, how did that fix it? Did that stuff more plastic there?

lordswing on
    D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt
  • Anti-SeanAnti-Sean Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    lordswing wrote: »
    I have this exact same problem as well. Mine occurred on the right side, just above where the light is. This makes me happy. Just curious, how did that fix it? Did that stuff more plastic there?

Mine just cracked in the exact same spot the other day. The replacement parts are out of stock at my local Apple Store, but they placed an order for me, and it shouldn't take any longer than an overnight fix when the parts arrive; if things go well, they might even be able to fix it while I wait. Hooray!

Anti-Sean on
  • ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Friggen Apple, making my life difficult.

Mac fans, pay attention on Tuesday. There's an announcement coming.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The other day I couldn't resist at Best Buy, so I bought the Diablo battle chest just because this means now I can play it on my Macbook Pro. It works pretty wonderfully, and I mostly play on windowed mode. Any idea, though, why I can't turn on the OpenGL thing rather than software? When I do OpenGL it comes up all scrambled weird. It says new macs should be able to use it, and mine's a brand new one, so... huh?

Also, I didn't buy the applecare when I got this thing. Can I buy it sometime within the 90 days of complimentary service, or am I fucked forever? Also, do I really need it? 240 bucks is quite a lot...

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Threepio wrote: »
    Friggen Apple, making my life difficult.

Mac fans, pay attention on Tuesday. There's an announcement coming.
    Where'd you work again, Threep?

ben0207 on
  • oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    What should I expect to get for my Intel Core Duo iMac (w/ 1.5G of RAM) on eBay? The machine was only purchased in August and is in excellent condition and would be cleared to factory default, and has all the original packaging and paperwork.

I need to get a MacBook, and will wait for the updates that are apparently coming after WWDC. So, any idea what I can get for the iMac?

oldmanken on
    edited May 2007
    oldmanken wrote: »
    I need to get a MacBook, and will wait for the updates that are apparently coming after WWDC.

WWDC nothing. See above.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2007
    I need to get a MacBook, and will wait for the updates that are apparently coming after WWDC.

WWDC nothing. See above.

fuck I just bought this macbook like two weeks ago

Garlic Bread on
  • D:D: Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    is 70$ good for 2 gb of notebook ram?

D: on
    edited May 2007
    Keith wrote: »

WWDC nothing. See above.

fuck I just bought this macbook like two weeks ago

Sorry bro, if I had found out sooner, I would have made mention of it. This came across my desk this morning.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2007
    they wouldn't let me switch that, would they

he said something about a 10% restocking fee if i return it

Garlic Bread on
  • ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Oh god, if the Macbooks get a proper graphics card (something not integrated), I might end up with one of those instead of a Pro.
    they wouldn't let me switch that, would they

he said something about a 10% restocking fee if i return it

If it's in really good shape, eBay might yield better than a 10% loss, especially if you offer worldwide shipping and don't gouge on it.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
    edited May 2007
    fuck that I don't feel like moving all of my shit again

I'll stick with it

I knew this would happen

Garlic Bread on
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

I'll stick with it

I knew this would happen

besides, at this point, I'd just wait till leopard.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    apotheos wrote: »
    Has anyone used both Steermouse and USB Overdrive? I'm loving Steermouse, but everyone says I should switch to USB overdrive even though they've never used Steermouse.

I've never used USB Overdrive but I bought Steermouse ages ago. Excellent little program, first thing i disabled using it was mouse acceleration.

Lets see, apps that should have a mention:

* Neo Office (been mentioned by somebody else already)
    * VirtueDesktops (think of it as spaces but for OS 10.4)
    * FileZilla (doesn't look that mac like atm but it is a good FTP program)
    * Flip4Mac (allows playback of WMV)
    * Default Apps (great for tweaking the file associations)
    * Adium (great instant messenger)
    * Azureus (the best multiplatform torrent program)
    * Google Earth (self explanatory really)
    * Firefox (yeah, I know it isn't totally cocoa etc but damnit, it's better than Safari or Camino as web browsers go)
    * Onyx (this has been mentioned already)
    * MS Remote Desktop Client (yes, I find it damn useful for connecting to my desktop pc and works servers etc, powerpc only atm, so it has to run under rosetta on Intel Macs. There are open source RDP clients but they don't support fullscreen mode)
    * Sheepshaver, once you get it figured out it's excellent for running OS 9 stuff

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The other day I couldn't resist at Best Buy, so I bought the Diablo battle chest just because this means now I can play it on my Macbook Pro. It works pretty wonderfully, and I mostly play on windowed mode. Any idea, though, why I can't turn on the OpenGL thing rather than software? When I do OpenGL it comes up all scrambled weird. It says new macs should be able to use it, and mine's a brand new one, so... huh?

Also, I didn't buy the applecare when I got this thing. Can I buy it sometime within the 90 days of complimentary service, or am I fucked forever? Also, do I really need it? 240 bucks is quite a lot...

You can buy it anytime within 1 year of when you got the MBP. And I'd say it's worth it. I have a Powerbook that I got in 2005. This January, my AC adaptor shorted out (touched it while I was all staticky), and they replaced it for free since I was under Applecare. Last month, my hard drive died on me, and they fixed it (again for free), and right then and there, Applecare paid for itself.

There's also a student discount on Applecare, if that helps your buying decision.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
    edited May 2007

The 90-days is just phone service. There's a year warranty otherwise. You can pick up the AppleCare before the year is up.

It's what I'm going to do. I mean, it's a lot of money, but laptops get bad problems so I'd want to be covered

Garlic Bread on
  • bombboybombboy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm going to be getting a MacBook tomorrow. I wonder if I can wait another week, thing is I really need it as soon as possible because of a full online course I am taking. I am barely ever home so a mobile solution is a must :[

I'm so excited but now a bit cautious...

bombboy on
    XBL - BombBoyGT | PSN - BombBoyGT | Steam - BombBoy | BF4
  • ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

I'll stick with it

I knew this would happen

There's a free app, Carbon Copy Cloner, that will completely image one Mac on to another, bringing all apps, documents, and even the OS in fully functional form. It takes all of 5 minutes to set up, then maybe an hour, maybe less depending on the amount of stuff, to copy over.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
    edited May 2007

I'll stick with it

I knew this would happen

There's a free app, Carbon Copy Cloner, that will completely image one Mac on to another, bringing all apps, documents, and even the OS in fully functional form. It takes all of 5 minutes to set up, then maybe an hour, maybe less depending on the amount of stuff, to copy over.

yes

except in order to return my macbook for a new one

i'd have to give it to them

Garlic Bread on
  • bombboybombboy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Oh, and if the announcement on Tuesday is Santa Rosa MacBooks that come out as soon as it's announced, I'll cry. If I have to wait I guess I couldn't care for it now. Otherwise, I can't wait to get my first Apple :D

bombboy on
    XBL - BombBoyGT | PSN - BombBoyGT | Steam - BombBoy | BF4
  • muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Isnt this a bit out of the blue? Is there a conference on Tue?

muninn on
    edited May 2007
    muninn wrote: »
    Isnt this a bit out of the blue? Is there a conference on Tue?

Apple does this all the time though. They just update products without steve making a keynote. they do that a few times a year. only on the big, revolutionary changes does steve introduce the product live.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • SpazMuffinSpazMuffin Hey Cut it outRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I really really hope the Macbooks make the jump to the Santa Rosa chips soon. I need to buy a Macbook this summer for college and I would love to get one just as they are upgraded.

SpazMuffin on
    Cosgrove_Face_Sig.jpg
  • oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Back to my question... how much do you think I could get for my iMac?

Also, I'm hopeful that when they get a processor upgrade the MacBooks will also get an improved video card.

oldmanken on
  • Bryse EayoBryse Eayo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Hey just bought new Macbook I know prolly too early but meh.

One question I have is how hot should I let it get? Says the CPU is at 61 right now. This seems unhealthy.

Bryse Eayo on
    edited May 2007
    Bryse Eayo wrote: »
    Hey just bought new Macbook I know prolly too early but meh.

One question I have is how hot should I let it get? Says the CPU is at 61 right now. This seems unhealthy.

I've had mine go up to like 75° Celsius

I should get one of those fan stands

Garlic Bread on
  • SonarSonar Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ok kids here's the deal.

I've never owned a Mac in my life. Ok I'm a convert - woooo. So I'm justified in getting a notebook computer for awhile. I've wanted a notebook for a long time but I'm finally getting to where I can justify the need and cost.

I'm thinking a iphone - laptop combo punch actually, but I'll probably settle with a new ipod and laptop since I like having all my music and I'm sick of my hp ipod crapping out all the time.

So is the difference between the 17 inch and the 15 inch really worth it? It lookes like it is, but the real question is are new models coming in the same price range soon enough to warrant holding off on a purchase?

Sonar on
    I'm building a real pirate ship. Really. Wanna help? Click here!
    steam_sig.png
    caffron said: "and cat pee is not a laughing matter"
    edited May 2007
    Sonar wrote: »
    Ok kids here's the deal.

I've never owned a Mac in my life. Ok I'm a convert - woooo. So I'm justified in getting a notebook computer for awhile. I've wanted a notebook for a long time but I'm finally getting to where I can justify the need and cost.

I'm thinking a iphone - laptop combo punch actually, but I'll probably settle with a new ipod and laptop since I like having all my music and I'm sick of my hp ipod crapping out all the time.

So is the difference between the 17 inch and the 15 inch really worth it? It lookes like it is, but the real question is are new models coming in the same price range soon enough to warrant holding off on a purchase?

If you can wait until october for leopard, then I would wait, if not then I'd go ahead and buy. There's rumour that at least some new Macbooks(not sure if it's pro or not) are coming on Tuesday, so I'd maybe wait a couple weeks, just to be safe.....if you can't wait for leopard that is.

wunderbar on
This discussion has been closed.