As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gamefly: Worthwhile?

2»

• Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    Also, as posted in another thread:
    Sheep wrote: »
    http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83774

So apparently Mafia II was severely gutted to sell DLC and to put the better ideas into GTA 5.

See, this is why I don't fucking buy games anymore and just use gamefly. Shit like this. If I'm going to have to pay an additional $30 on top of every $60 game I'm not buying the $60 game and the devs can just blow me.

We will begin to see this from more shady publishers. Take2/R*, Activision, THQ. Etc.

Sheep on
  • Options
    AlaskanInsomniacAlaskanInsomniac Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You might be able to tell from my forum name, but I'm from the frozen north. In my case, it seems to take about 3 days to get games back to gamefly, a day or two to process or something, and 3 to 4 days to get back. About 3 games a month on the single game plan.

I'm still uncertain as to whether I consider it worth it but I'm aware that most of the delay comes from my location. And, as has been pointed out, I put games on there that I want to PLAY but don't know if I want to buy. Gamefly seems perfect for that.

AlaskanInsomniac on
  • Options
    mellestadmellestad Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    In my experience, I hated Gamefly, but a lot of my problems might not exist for another location.

Games took 3-4 days to show up, so you had at least a week gap between sending a game in and getting a new one (3-4x2). One out of three games I received were cracked or scratched too badly to work. Popular games were *always* unavailable for me, so they ship whatever the is lower in your game que.

What I ended up with was a ~$30 per month service that only let me play one or two old/third rate titles per month. Yuck.

This was probably 1.5 years ago though, it might be better now.

Edit: I loved it when they had games sales though, I bought tons of used games for dirt cheap. But then they seemed to stop offering anything very often, I don't know if they still sell used games.

mellestad on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    I tend to have a problem with the mail sometimes. I've had to report three or four games to them that never showed up at my house, and one or two that never showed up at their processing plant.

And it's usually new games too, so I know that hurts their bottom end.

I sent Alan Wake back last... Thursday or Friday and they've yet to report it being received, so that is kind of aggravating.

Sheep on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I liked gamefly but I had a 1 week turn around on games, living in Hawaii. So I canceled it and used blockbuster's monthly instead. Same price but I just go to the store and pick up something instead. 1 hour turn around > 1 week turn around

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I tend to have a problem with the mail sometimes. I've had to report three or four games to them that never showed up at my house, and one or two that never showed up at their processing plant.

I sent Alan Wake back last... Thursday or Friday and they've yet to report it being received, so that is kind of aggravating.

I bet there's someone at your post office with a nice game collection.

I've had one game never arrive to them, and they just credited me with returning it after I sent them an email after about a week.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I did not enjoy their service; I would often have to wait for games that had been out for 2 years or more. If they were as fast as my Netflix subscription, then absolutely it would be worth it. As it stands now, though, I say no. I cancelled after only two months.

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I love Gamefly, but then I'm not a guy who has to get all the new releases the day they come out. It's great if you're the kind of person who's like "Huh, that game sounds interesting, I should try that out sometime."

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I bet there's someone at your post office with a nice game collection.

I've had one game never arrive to them, and they just credited me with returning it after I sent them an email after about a week.

I know several months ago, a mail carrier was busted for exactly this... not sure where, but I distinctly remember the story. He was essentially just plucking the games out of the mail and keeping them... but of course it's kindof easy to figure out once someone looks into it, so he got in trouble.

As for Gamefly, I am a current subscriber and really do like the service. I've played so many games that I never would have put down $60 or even $30 for, enjoyed them and sent them back. I've also played many games that I would have sorely regretted buying if I had, because they were terrible or just completely unsuited to my tastes (hello Resident Evil 5).

I personally have never tried to manipulate my queue to get new games right away, but I did figure out the strategy pretty much right away. I prefer to have the games I want to play on the list, so even if I get something further down, I'm not disappointed. Anyone who complains about getting trash games from Gamefly really only has themself to blame for putting it on their queue. :P

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I personally have never tried to manipulate my queue to get new games right away, but I did figure out the strategy pretty much right away. I prefer to have the games I want to play on the list, so even if I get something further down, I'm not disappointed. Anyone who complains about getting trash games from Gamefly really only has themself to blame for putting it on their queue. :P

Yeah, that kind of baffles me.

I personally only ever have 2 or 3 games at most in my queue, for the most part. If I'm in a period where I'm not sure what I want to play then I may add more, but I generally am playing what I want to. There's been a couple of instances where I have one game on my list and it has medium availability but isn't going out, but I either find something else to play in the meantime, or wait a week.

Another benefit of Gamefly is the rage return. I've done it a couple of times, the last one being The Force Unleashed. It's like rage quitting, but taken to a whole new level.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It's been an issue for me because I share the queue with my wife and the games she tends to want to play rarely hit high demand and Gamefly decides to send us DS games non freaking stop.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, that would complicate things. You may just need to trade off rentals, though I would probably just get 2 accounts if you can afford it, especially if you're both using it a lot.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    2 accounts isn't worth it to us. But I'll be leaving town on business soon so it'll go back down to 1. And when we come back the woman's going to just have to put down the games she wants on a list somewhere else and we're just adding games as we finish them.

Quid on
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Another benefit of Gamefly is the rage return. I've done it a couple of times, the last one being The Force Unleashed. It's like rage quitting, but taken to a whole new level.

I did the same thing with Darksiders. I just got so frustrated with the controls, which felt unresponsive, that after failing a couple times to make a particular jump I was like "fuck this game" and stuffed it right back into the envelope. :D

Come to think of it, RE5 ended up the same way, for the same reason. Most games I get though, I play them for what they offer, send them back after I beat 'em in 6-10 hours, and feel glad that I enjoyed the game rather than raging at it for not giving me my $60 worth.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

I did the same thing with Darksiders. I just got so frustrated with the controls, which felt unresponsive, that after failing a couple times to make a particular jump I was like "fuck this game" and stuffed it right back into the envelope. :D

Come to think of it, RE5 ended up the same way, for the same reason. Most games I get though, I play them for what they offer, send them back after I beat 'em in 6-10 hours, and feel glad that I enjoyed the game rather than raging at it for not giving me my $60 worth.

The only two I can think of were TFU, which I was playing on Hard for some reason and the stupid Rancor level, and Super Mario Galaxy, when I was going back getting all the coins or whatever.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I sent back White Knight Chronicles in a fit of rage. I wanted to leave a note to the next person just to seal it back up and send it back too.

urahonky on
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    In my experience the only time I got a new release right away was by starting or upgrading my membership the night before it would ship.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've always had a positive experience with Gamefly, but I live in the Bay Area, which is close to a distribution center. If you want to get recent releases, be sure to cut down your queue to a handful of games. It's a great "try before you buy" tool. I no longer have a subscription due to already having a huge backlog of games to play, but if I stopped having a backlog, I'd resubscribe in a heartbeat.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    We've Shipped: Halo Reach

Never fails, I put it in my queue last week

Allforce on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah I was hoping to be able to finish FFXIII before Halo Reach, but no I couldn't. Oh well, I'll just play a ton of other online games since all the d-bags will be playing Reach.

urahonky on
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well that was just uncalled for...

Allforce on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Allforce wrote: »
    Well that was just uncalled for...

No... I didn't say anyone playing Reach was a d-bag, it's just that Halo/Gears/etc games like to attract a majority of the corpse humping/name calling d-bags. So it's a good time to play other games online as they're all attracted to that game.

urahonky on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sometimes Gamefly will overstock games that don't truly catch on for whatever reason, and you can get used copies some months afterwards for dirt-cheap. I managed to snag Bayonetta this weekend for $12.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    searcher0searcher0 Registered User new member
    looking for people who are having difficulty down loading and activating their direct2drive purchases from gamefly. they have been very slow making direct2drive games accessible and i am looking into getting a lawyer any interested parties please respond here.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    searcher0 wrote: »
    looking for people who are having difficulty down loading and activating their direct2drive purchases from gamefly. they have been very slow making direct2drive games accessible and i am looking into getting a lawyer any interested parties please respond here.

Jesus goddamn Christ... a lawyer? What the fuck for?

Wait... this is a troll attempt, isn't it? Are you some kind of lawyer spam bot?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    searcher0searcher0 Registered User new member
    no, i just want what i paid for, maybe you like being ripped off but i am sure others do not.

This discussion has been closed.