As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

RADlands - Vector art all up ins

• MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Big, starring Tom Hanks.

Marshmallow on
  • DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    [Ocean King +5% Special]
    [Cobalt +3% Special]
    [Mike +1% Special]
    [Ash +4% Special]
    [Jayce +1% Special]
    [Dan +2% Special]
    [Dusty +4% Special]
    [Henry +4% Special]
    [Skiff +5% Special]
    [Jack +2% Special]
    [Nolan +1% Special]
    [Chet +1 Special]
    [R.B. +1% Special]
    [Kruppe +2% Special]
    [Kain +3% Special]
    [Syd +3% Special]
    [CRABBY +1% Special]
    [Chuck +2% Special]

Once everyone has seated themselves, Cass nods to the Red Kahn and takes a step back toward the carbosilicate screen. She runs a hand across it and it springs to life, green data flooding out across the shiny black surface.

She holds out her hand, and a bit of green mist leaks out of the crack in her chest, pooling at the center of her palm. This is RAD. You all know it by now. It has suffused your world. It has changed it. It continues to change it. The mist sparks and flickers. It is what remains of the alien dimension now colliding with yours. It is MAIN. It contains its will, its mind, its presence. Wherever there is RAD, MAIN has power. It can feel us now, see us through the faint traces of it in the atmosphere. It is only the... interference of your world's physical laws, and the trauma of the universal collision that prevents MAIN from simply evoking its will, and turning all of you to carbosilicate this instant.

Its subneural reactivity, however, opens MAIN to low-level influence - the will of sentient creatures can be imposed on the RAD, albeit in much smaller ways than the will of MAIN itself. All sentient beings do this instinctively, subconsciously, but some have more direct ability to do so. We call them Freakers. The screen flashes briefly to a picture of Chuck, Dusty, Cobalt, and CRABBY. Recent information, provided by Dusty and Cobalt, indicates that this control over RAD renders freakers somewhat immune to the effects of incorporation.

It shifts to an frozen video of Uriel, plucked from Makali's mind, set beside a shot of Malach from The Ocean King's perspective. Carbosilicate is designed to channel RAD, as you know. It contains the burned-in subneural matrices of those incorporated, through which the RAD flows, creating mutations, perversions, alteration - the idiosyncrasies that make up your individuality, and allow you to make cognitive leaps and bounds beyond anything MAIN could imagine.

There is a flaw in the process, however, and that is simply that the subneural signatures burned into the carbosilicate remain semi-active. If they are uncooperative, the dissonance within the shell amplifies the negative qualities of those within, and the ensuing emotional feedback can overpower the will of MAIN within the RAD flowing through the shell. MAIN refers to this as corruption.

The image on the screen shifts to a close-up of Cobalt's arm, as viewed through Henry's eyes - awash with seething, angry red code, lashing out at the air around it. The red code within Cobalt's arm is not corruption. It is a virus. A very powerful one at that. It's sole purpose is to lock down RAD, to force out MAIN's subneural signature, to force out MAIN's will. It renders RAD mindless, inert, but still usable. She pauses for a moment, and when she speaks again, her voice wavers. It can be spread, it can be utilized. It may be the greatest weapon we have yet encountered.

...and it did not come from Earth.

The virus bears several identifiers, minor bits of code at its most base levels, which identify it as originating within MAIN itself. A single number appears several times within the base code, which very clearly points to its creator. The image zooms in on Cobalt's arm, until the crimson lines of data fill the screen. It continues to dive forward through the massed coding, until a number, invisible at a distance, fills the entire picture.

/20000.

What is more interesting than this, however, is that the code extracted from the Keys, even in its infected state, bears this number as well - not as an originator, but as a subject. In my studying of the virus, I believe have also discovered the nature of the Keys.

Their physical representation was no coincidence. The subneural reactivity of the RAD forged them into that form due to their original purpose.

They are a key, and, combined with the command code provided by the Pope, they are now functional.
    The carbosilicate screen shifts, displaying an image ripped from Makali's memories - a door within the Vatican fortress, innately carved to show Arch-Angel Micheal stabbing the devil through, the sword of ruby, amethyst, and sapphire forming the door's lock. When the task became corrupted, /10000 locked /20000 away somewhere in this universe, so that the corruption could not spread through MAIN upon its return. The Keys, knocked across the globe by the Crash, were the command code necessary to maintain this lock, or, now infected with the virus...

...open the cage.

DE?AD on
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    [Alcatraz][Ash] Stress 0% Special 14% Progress 0%
    [Traits] Uncanny Aim 21% [IN, sk], Friendly 20% [IN], Red Sun Intern 33% [sk], Outdoorsman 50% [SK], Craves Approval 10% [co]

"So if we release the creator of the RAD virus, we might be able to convince it to help us undermine the Black Plastics," Ash says. "On the other hand, we could just be releasing a different alien that wants to turn our universe into a science experiment."

She sighs. She suspected it wouldn't be simple, but she had hoped. Just a little bit.

"If we can figure out how to use this virus properly within a reasonable amount of time, I'd prefer to just leave this slash-twenty-thousand guy alone. But if we can't...well, I suppose we can at least check its prison out."

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Shock GShock G Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    [Raider Town][Kruppe] Stress 0% Special 2%
    Traits: Psion 83% (sk, VI, in), Wise 20% (cl), Philosopher 20% (sk), Historian 20% (sk), Vitriolic 10% (hn)

"So our goal, as it appears to me, it to find the lock, open the cage, aid this... entity, and then allow the virus to do what viruses do." He floats up a little bit. "And then we will be able to use RAD to rebuild the world MAIN destroyed."

Shock G on
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So Michael was pretty retarded then.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The dumbest angel

NeoToma on
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    special never drains away by itself right?

we have to either fuck up or use it, it never goes away with scene changes or time?

Raneados on
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well I guess he couldn't have known about the Pope.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    edited September 2010
    Raneados wrote: »

we have to either fuck up or use it, it never goes away with scene changes or time?

If you are super boring or distracting or something DE?AD can take it away

NeoToma on
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    NeoToma wrote: »
    Raneados wrote: »

If you are super boring or distracting or something DE?AD can take it away

that what I said with "fucking up"

Raneados on
    edited September 2010
    Cassandra shakes her head. Ash is correct. We have no way of knowing what /20000's goals were. We have no reason to believe that, simply because it was locked away by MAIN, that it is not equally dangerous to humanity.

All we know, as of this moment, is that it engineered the virus, and that MAIN for some reason, could not simply end his task. Something made the task dangerous enough to lock away behind a triumvirate code seal.

DE?AD on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    [Cobalt Steele][Special 33%][Stress 0%]
    Traits: [Lateral Thinking- 42% (in) (sk)][Arrogant- 20% (df)][Subneural Hacker- 42% (SK)][Subneural Bleeding- 30% (sk)][Insecure- 20%(wk)]
    Equipment: Speed Racer
    Injuries: [??? 80]

"It won't need any convincing," Maka... Cobalt says as he takes the bandaid from Ash. "The pope was working directly under him. He was its Makali. And he definitely wanted to help us get rid of the Angels. That's why he gave me the virus in the first place.

Besides, even if it was what made the virus, it's still part of MAIN, right? Won't it be just as susceptible? Even if it is evil, it's handed us the way to beat it on a silver platter."

Speed Racer on
    edited September 2010
    Ahh, yea. You are correct. I still got special from like 5 systems ago.

NeoToma on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I didn't actually type "Maka..." on purpose

Speed Racer on
    edited September 2010
    At this point, we know nothing about it. /20000 is old, as old as /10000, and likely as dangerous. It created a virus capable of stealing control of the RAD away from MAIN. There is no telling what it can or can not do.

DE?AD on
    edited September 2010
    Guys what's a good website for storing large amounts of data on the internet for someone else to download.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    [Alcatraz][Ash] Stress 0% Special 14% Progress 0%
    [Traits] Uncanny Aim 21% [IN, sk], Friendly 20% [IN], Red Sun Intern 33% [sk], Outdoorsman 50% [SK], Craves Approval 10% [co]

"It may want to help us take out the Angels, but why? To do a good deed? Or to safely get rid of its biggest threat?" Ash crosses her arms. "The virus seems to be a godsend, I'll give you that. But I don't like how we found it. I don't like where it's leading us. I have a bad feeling we're just going to end up being used."

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
    edited September 2010
    Nevermind I figured it out.

And DE?AD I'm guessing you have something in mind for Donnie?

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    edited September 2010
    [Alcatraz][Henry] Stress 35% Spirit 49% Progress 0%

"Using code on its creator in an attempt to hamper it is a bad idea, regardless. The only leverage we likely have is that we can possibly orchestrate /20000's escape in exchange for assisting us with our goals. Even then there's massive issues of trust.

Perhaps finding a way to communicate with the entity, or his followers if any, would be a good first step. Gauge just how reasonable it may be, and whether there is any basis for our cooperation whatsoever."

Marshmallow on
    edited September 2010
    Donnie is Henry spelled backwards.

OoooOOOooo

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • KuellerKueller Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    [Alcatraz]URL="http://glossolalia-rpg.pbworks.com/Nolan"]Nolan[/URL Stress 0% Special 1% Progress 0%
    Traits: [Master of networking (sk)25%] [Friendly (cl)15%] [Medic (SK)(CL)50%] [Handybot (sk)50%] [Gullible (hn)]
    Equipment: [Long range modem(sk)10%] [Crafting tools (sk)5%] [Surgeon's kit (sk)5%]

"I reckon Dusty 's right. Would reason if this fella wrote the virus, he would know how it worked and how ta stop it. We even have a notion as to where this fella might be?"

Kueller on
  • Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/52776196@N02/4978142850/

still needs a hand

maybe gonna do kruppe next because I got a good idea of how I'll do him

also, post incoming eventually

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    [Alcatraz] [Michael Tallon] Stress 0% Upgrade 11%
    Traits: [Tech Control 42% (SK)][Amiable 25% (CL)][Envoy 30% (sk)][Cyborg 25%(AR, sk)][Excitable (co)]
    Equipment: [Robot Shell Armor ? (ar)]

"Anything and everything to take the angels down we can use is something we should use. Although we shouldn't trust /200000 wholeheartedly, this could be an excellent weapon."

Antimatter on
  • Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    [Seige of Alcatraz] [The Ocean King] Stress 0% Special 50% Progress 20%
    The Read Khan
    [Fearless 4% (in, AR)], [Passionate 20% (df)], [Khagan 40% (cl, IN)], [Berserker 30% (sk,vi)], [Oblivious (hn)]
    [Mongol Power Armor (ar, sk) 20%] [Speed Rider Soul (sk) 15%] [Burning Blade (VI) 40%]

The Ocean King let his eyes wander over his gathered court. He had come to rely on Ash nearly as much as Henry, and knew her judgement to be more honest, if not as astute, as that of the latter. He felt a kinship with the former-shaman, and could feel his heart stir at the straightforward prognosis he presented.

His eyes rested on...Cobalt? He was not sure what to make of this new old recruit. He had known the former possessor of his body only briefly, but the thought of his betrayal still roused anger in the Khan. He supposed that if he had worked with Dusty for all this time, and the ghostly advisor seemed to trust him, there couldn't be that much danger. However, the surety with which he presented his case aroused suspicion that could not quite be put down. He would need to be watched.

The Ocean King rose. "Now... is the time for boldness. We have a weapon. Our enemy has tried to hide it from us...and that proves its power." He looked at each person in the room, then continued, "It may...be dangerous...but what weapon is not? We must strike through the deceptions of both sides! Our spirits will show us the way!" [Fearless ar ---> Fearless AR]

Fire Truck on
    edited September 2010
    B][/BB]Sydney McGee[/B Spirit 65% Stress 0%
    [Electrokinesis (VI)(sk) 66%][Machiavellian (in)(sk) 35%][Teenaged-hottie 22% (sk)][Spoiled Suburbanite 20% (sk)] [Perfectionist 10%(co)]
    Syd leans forward and smiles. Distrusting and suspicious. There might be hope for these guys yet.

"I'm with Henry on this." That felt weird to say. "We should observe. Feel this situation out, and when the time comes for our move, make the action decisive."

NeoToma on
    edited September 2010
    Cassandra nods. Contained within the key code is also a homing function. Should we wish to explore this option, Cobalt's arm will be able to lead us to it.

DE?AD on
    edited September 2010
    [Alcatraz] [Michael Tallon] Stress 0% Upgrade 11%
    Traits: [Tech Control 42% (SK)][Amiable 25% (CL)][Envoy 30% (sk)][Cyborg 25%(AR, sk)][Excitable (co)]

"What are we waiting for, then? I will gladly follow this path, go wherever it goes."

Antimatter on
    edited September 2010
    [Raider Town][Kruppe] Stress 0% Special 0%
    Traits: Psion 73% (sk, VI, in), Wise 20% (cl), Prophet 20% (sk), Historian 20% (sk), Vitriolic 10% (hn)

"I like the idea of finding a cabal of this /2000's allies. Communing with such powerful beings directly is usually unwise, at least in my experience. However, if this group doesn't exist, at lest excluding the late pope, there must be another avenue to collect information on whatever made this virus. Perhaps one of our prisoners could point us in the right direction?"

Shock G on
    edited September 2010
    [Alcatraz][Nolan] Stress 0% Special 1% Progress 0%
    Traits: [Master of networking (sk)25%] [Friendly (cl)15%] [Medic (SK)(CL)50%] [Handybot (sk)50%] [Gullible (hn)]
    Equipment: [Long range modem(sk)10%] [Crafting tools (sk)5%] [Surgeon's kit (sk)5%]

"I guess if nuttin else, we could learn a bit more about da situation. Knowin more never hurt no one"

Kueller on
    edited September 2010
    Traits: Psion 83% (sk, VI, in), Wise 20% (cl), Philosopher 20% (sk), Historian 20% (sk), Vitriolic 10% (hn)

"Wise words my cybernetic friend."

Kruppe floats over to Nolan and holds out his forefinger for a tiny high five.

Shock G on
    edited September 2010
    [Alcatraz][Henry] Stress 35% Spirit 49% Progress 0%

"The prisoners have been less then forthcoming with information. I am curious as to whether they believe the carbosilicates will come to their aid. The 'Angels' certainly haven't initiated any negotiations for their release, nor have we received any show of concern for their former wards.

Worst case scenario, they can still communicate with their leadership without our detecting it. Letting them know anything about our situation would be a inadvisable."

Marshmallow on
    edited September 2010
    [Cobalt Steele][Special 33%][Stress 0%]
    Traits: [Lateral Thinking- 42% (in) (sk)][Arrogant- 20% (df)][Subneural Hacker- 42% (SK)][Subneural Bleeding- 30% (sk)][Insecure- 20%(wk)]
    Equipment: Speed Racer
    Injuries: [??? 80]

"I haven't been down there yet. Maybe if it's someone who me and Makali met I could manage to trick them into giving us something."

Speed Racer on
    edited September 2010
    Traits: Psion 76% (sk, VI, in), Wise 20% (cl), Prophet 20% (sk), Historian 20% (sk), Vitriolic 10% (hn)

"I think I and my young friend Jimothy might be able to help loosen their lips. Or tear the information out of their psyche as the case may be."

Shock G on
  • Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    [Jimothy] Special 0% Stress 0% Progress: 0%
    [Telepath 65% (SK)(DF)(VI)][Abiding 20% (ar)][Street Rat 15% (sk)][Teenager 20% (vi)][Hard Knock Life 25% (wk)]
    [Gay Blade 10% (vi)(in)][Oliver ??% (??)][Black Card (sk) 10%]
    [Severed Arm 90% (hn)][Overflow 50% (wk)]

"Hey, Syd, I uh, need to talk to you about a thing", Jimothy says, shaking Kruppe's voice out of his head to little avail

Turning away from Jen, Syd raises an eyebrow, intrigued

"Er, yeah, I've been having some major, well, trouble focusing my thoughts, you know? I just- I don't know..."

His hand lightly running over his scar as he rubs his eye, the boy mutters, "...I guess I just can't keep this telepathic shit together anymore, and I have no idea what to do, and just...fuck"

A smirk creeps into the corner of Sydney's mouth, but she pushes it away when Jimothy looks back up, an expression of genuine confusion and trauma betraying her assumptions.

"Sure, kid. You're useless to anyone with your head like that, and I suppose if I don't do anything you'll probably go mad"

Motioning her head toward the quieter end of the island, she starts to walk off

"The last thing I need is another Kruppe running around"

Jimothy wipes at his eye, before smiling and catching up

Second, more up to date post incoming as well

lemme just eat this chili

mmmmhm

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    [Mission][Chet Lumbowski] Stress 0% Special 0%
    [Telekinetic (SK) 60%][Adventurous (in) 10%][Ace-Flyer (df)(sk) 40%][Mutant Headman (sk)(AR) 10%][Hero Complex (co)]

"How hard would this '/20000' be to fight head on?"

Shabooty on
    edited September 2010
    [Alcatraz] [Michael Tallon] Stress 0% Special 11%

"I'd be more than glad to talk to any remaining robot cultists."

Antimatter on
    edited September 2010
    Nah, I gave him the go ahead.

Also I'm off to a board game night right now sooo I've be sitting the rest of this out

toodles

NeoToma on
    edited September 2010
    Nolan unfolds a small set of hex-head wrenches give Kruppe a high five. Wouldn't want to leave the nice fella hanging

Kueller on
    edited September 2010
    Tommy, what the hell are you doing controlling Neo's character?

E: Alright.

DE?AD on
    edited September 2010
    I asked the same thing, Neo said it was fine

Antimatter on
This discussion has been closed.