As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[INTERNET DATING] The REAL Stuff White People Like

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Alegis wrote: »
    What is this craiglist-like ad site of yours LH, boringolderasianwomen.com?

Gumtree but they no longer have a dating section.
    LearnedHand, I just told a story about a woman being obsessed with me being an American

My stories are real.
    Is LearnedHand in the slave trade? What's with his obsession with illegal immigrants from Asia?

Pretty sure all of these women were here legally, but even if they weren't that's no problem of mine. Complaining about "illegals" is a typical reactionary sentiment, the sort often expressed by your fellow Southerners.

There's also loads of immigrants in London so you don't have to seek them out. I read it's 30% immigrants but I think that's a really conservative estimate. So it's a choice between rude, unattractive English women or a foreign woman who may or may not be rude and/or unattractive I'll try the latter.

You know, maybe it's not the internet; maybe it's just you.

moniker on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    tardcore wrote: »
    Honestly, I find it better to meet people in real life after spending months on OKC. You know that feeling of adrenaline you get when you first talk to a cute girl? You don't get that on the internet. You don't get to see her smile when you make her laugh when you first talk with each other.

Yeah, i'm right with you on this.

Plus it's way easier and cuts out a lot of the middleground.

Godfather on
  • Options
    SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Honestly, I find it better to meet people in real life after spending months on OKC. You know that feeling of adrenaline you get when you first talk to a cute girl? You don't get that on the internet. You don't get to see her smile when you make her laugh when you first talk with each other.

The two are not mutually exclusive. There's nothing wrong with looking online while meeting girls through "normal" methods at the same time. You should be meeting people you meet on OKC soon after you start messaging them anyway, in my experience, and then it's no different than if you met at some party or in line at the supermarket or whatever.

Sevorak on
    steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    LearnedHand, I just told a story about a woman being obsessed with me being an American

My stories are real.

How dare you sir, my stories are just as real as yours.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    0_o

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    Malkor wrote: »
    0_o

sir are you making fun of my lazy eye

Organichu on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    0_o

well is yours on the right side of your face?

maybe i am bringing up my own eye, it is not lazy though, so i'd thank you to not to refer to it as such

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sevorak wrote: »

The two are not mutually exclusive. There's nothing wrong with looking online while meeting girls through "normal" methods at the same time. You should be meeting people you meet on OKC soon after you start messaging them anyway, in my experience, and then it's no different than if you met at some party or in line at the supermarket or whatever.

Yeah, all my internet dating stories were like LearnedHand's until my opening message was essentially "hey, I think the stuff you're into is awesome. Want to get coffee some afternoon on campus?"

And I had 3 dates in like 10 days and they were all awesome. Mostly because we didn't waste all the early "getting to know you" phase online and by messages.

If you think internet dating is different from any other form of meeting people, you're doing it wrong. Going nuts about match %, how they photograph, or their particular interests isn't how you do it in person -- why do it online?

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    0_o

well is yours on the right side of your face?

maybe i am bringing up my own eye, it is not lazy though, so i'd thank you to not to refer to it as such

i apologize for this confusing and hurtful interaction we've shared

Organichu on
  • Options
    stawkstawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    moniker wrote: »
    stawk wrote: »
    on a side not anyone in the Chicago land burbs want to go out drinking? Its so boring in St. Charles....

So far all my meetings with other PA people have been quite enjoyable so I'm going to go ahead and assume you won't leave my raped to death corpse along the side of the road.

Meaning yes, that sounds like fun. However, St. Charles is kind of out of the way for me. Do you spend much time in the city?

On occasion its only about an hour train ride. And to be fair I would at least leave your corpse in the middle of the street. I don't want you rotting too much.

stawk on

stawk.jpg
  • Options
    tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I wonder if someone staying logged on the website over an extended period of time effects if people send you a message. "Oh that guy is always online, he must be desperate".

tardcore on
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    yeah there is a girl on OKC out here that is ALWAYS online. I am not exaggerating either. I have come to the conclusion that i has to be a bot or something. No one can stay on that long.

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    yeah there is a girl on OKC out here that is ALWAYS online. I am not exaggerating either. I have come to the conclusion that i has to be a bot or something. No one can stay on that long.

...or she just doesn't closer her browser?

moniker on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

The phone app does that IIRC.

Zek on
  • Options
    SojornSojorn Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I like to think of OKcupid profiles as though they're that friend who really likes to set people s/he knows up on blind dates.

"Hey, you and X should go out! You both like video games and riding bikes and knitting or whatever, you'll be a great fit!"

and sometimes it works, but most of the time it turns out your romantic compatibility has almost nothing to do with whether or not you both liked Magnolia

Oh well fuck. Thanks for shattering my illusions of love. I might as well go back to playing WoW now.

Sojorn on
    XBox Live: NBKHavoc | Facebook | Sorry for the sig, it's just temporary. =)
  • Options
    <3<3 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I have the phone app, and I'm not on OkC right now.

Does it say I'm online?

<3 on
  • Options
    FartacusFartacus __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    celandine wrote: »
    Richy wrote: »
    This girl replied to my message ending each sentence with an exclamation mark. So I went back to her profile, and just noticed that every single sentence there too ends with an exclamation mark. It's like exclamation marks are the only punctuation she knows.

On the other hand, she's hot and blond, so...

See, I would just not be into that person.
    Difference between men and women, I guess.

Well, I mean, I feel like dismissing someone because of their punctuation might be a bit hasty

But also women are the same way -- it's just that instead of superficial attraction being related to appearance, it's more related to behaviors (typically, traditionally "masculine" behaviors).

Fartacus on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Fartacus wrote: »
    celandine wrote: »
    Richy wrote: »
    This girl replied to my message ending each sentence with an exclamation mark. So I went back to her profile, and just noticed that every single sentence there too ends with an exclamation mark. It's like exclamation marks are the only punctuation she knows.

On the other hand, she's hot and blond, so...

See, I would just not be into that person.
    Difference between men and women, I guess.

Well, I mean, I feel like dismissing someone because of their punctuation might be a bit hasty

But also women are the same way -- it's just that instead of superficial attraction being related to appearance, it's more related to behaviors (typically, traditionally "masculine" behaviors).

Oh man, but could you guys imagine the rejection letter if she decided not to go out?

"Coffee is good! I really like coffee! I'm just not feeling the whole going out with you thing! I'm really going through some personal stuff right now! I need time to deal with that before I date anybody! Also I have to work that night! You can't call because I lost my cell phone and have to get a new one! Yeah it fell in the toilet! And that's why I have to work on Friday because it will help pay for the new phone! It was really nice talking to you though!"

You see, insults and flakyness are so much worse when you put an exclamation point at the end of it.

I mean using exclamation points after all sentences is the written equivalent of using all-caps online. I mean are you excited or mad or just emphasizing? Fuck I dunno.

But like you said, she's hot and blonde so...I say you gotta go with your gut on this one. Shallowness isn't always a bad thing.

Sojorn on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    not to nit-pick, but im pretty sure using ALL CAPS is the equivalent of using all caps online

Joolander on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Joolander wrote: »
    not to nit-pick, but im pretty sure using ALL CAPS is the equivalent of using all caps online

QFT.

I've seen people use the exclamation point thing before in emails instead of doing all caps though. It's only slightly less offensive to my grammar sensitivity than typing EVERYTHING JUST LIKE THIS.

Sojorn on
  • Options
    VideotapeVideotape Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I added a few new pics to my profile today, so I was wondering if people thought they looked decent:

http://www.okcupid.com/profile/male__nurse

My friend also called me at like 3am last night to come over and listen to his album he's been recording, and my roommate decided to come along with his camera. This was the best one of me he took and I was wondering if it's OKC worthy:
    img6628version2.jpg

Videotape on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    not as the main pic

but later in the lineup, and with a funny quote? yeah

Joolander on
  • Options
    VideotapeVideotape Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hum, maybe something related to a nurse smoking and hypocrisy?

Videotape on
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So... hmmm....

About a week and a half ago I got a message from a girl (first time that ever happened!) and we chatted back and forth for a few days. Swapped cell numbers, started texting a ton starting Tuesday. Like, a fair bit. She usually initiated it, even texting me in the morning to say good morning and whatnot. I can't say I wasn't appreciative of it and I felt like she must have been pretty into me based on my profile. So I asked her if she wanted to meet up this week. She said yes. Seemed pretty excited!

So fast forward to 4 hours ago and I head off to meet her. We meet at a restaurant/bar, chat for about an hour and a half about stuff, seems to be going well. However towards the end she gets about five phone calls and finally on the last one she says she has to answer. Apparently she has to go pick up her little brother. So she apologizes profusely and bails. Luckily all we had was like, two drinks so I didn't mind paying the bill... I asked as she was getting up if she wanted to meet again, she said yes, and left.

It's been about two hours now and I haven't even gotten a text or anything saying sorry she had to leave, obviously I think I'm worrying juuuuuuuuuuust a bit, but I'd hate to think she suddenly felt put off by things... I dunno. She said she wasn't bailing cuz of me, and that she actually did have to pick up her little brother... who knows? Guess we'll see if she contacts me the next few days.

It's too bad cuz she's probably the cutest girl I've met through Okcupid so far...

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So... hmmm....

About a week and a half ago I got a message from a girl (first time that ever happened!) and we chatted back and forth for a few days. Swapped cell numbers, started texting a ton starting Tuesday. Like, a fair bit. She usually initiated it, even texting me in the morning to say good morning and whatnot. I can't say I wasn't appreciative of it and I felt like she must have been pretty into me based on my profile. So I asked her if she wanted to meet up this week. She said yes. Seemed pretty excited!

So fast forward to 4 hours ago and I head off to meet her. We meet at a restaurant/bar, chat for about an hour and a half about stuff, seems to be going well. However towards the end she gets about five phone calls and finally on the last one she says she has to answer. Apparently she has to go pick up her little brother. So she apologizes profusely and bails. Luckily all we had was like, two drinks so I didn't mind paying the bill... I asked as she was getting up if she wanted to meet again, she said yes, and left.

It's been about two hours now and I haven't even gotten a text or anything saying sorry she had to leave, obviously I think I'm worrying juuuuuuuuuuust a bit, but I'd hate to think she suddenly felt put off by things... I dunno. She said she wasn't bailing cuz of me, and that she actually did have to pick up her little brother... who knows? Guess we'll see if she contacts me the next few days.

It's too bad cuz she's probably the cutest girl I've met through Okcupid so far...

2 hours and you already have detachment issues?

Man, sometimes I go for months before hearing from some of the girls I know. Months.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I get a number of messages from women, both on OKC and PoF

Too bad they're all either 2x+ my size, or hideous in one way or another.

I really should message people first. Though it doesn't help that I won't have a car for a good four months now...

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah I wouldn't read into that too much. Two hours isn't that big of a time frame for a person not to text with an apology.

She already says she wants to meet up again, I'd chalk this one up to unfortunate circumstances an relish the opportunity to meet up once more.

Just be cool about it. She'll appreciate it, guaranteed.

Sojorn on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    srsly, just be cool

REAL COOL

wait a while, possibly a day or so till you contact her

Joolander on
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, I wouldn't say it's detachment issues... I just know if I had to bail myself, I would totally shoot a message or SOMETHING just to apologize or whatever.

I'll let it go for now and see what happens come next week.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, I wouldn't say it's detachment issues... I just know if I had to bail myself, I would totally shoot a message or SOMETHING just to apologize or whatever.

She already apologized when she first left, right?

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Well, yeah. You guys are right, I'm just over-analyzing things... which I tend to do...

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Well, don't be afraid to take some initiative too. Sending a text to her and saying "Hey, I had a really great time today. BTW I totally understand why you had to bounce like that, so no worries."

Completely un-guy like level of understanding AND showing some initiative? That's cool.

Sojorn on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    If she doesn't text me first thing in the morning like she has for the past week then I'll shoot her a message during the day or something.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So... hmmm....

Calm down, give it 3 or 4 days, then contact her again.

Seriously, as someone who has had detachment/clingyness issues before myself, learning to step back and moderate at times is one of the best skills you can learn.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    oof did everyone ignore my profile thing

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    oof did everyone ignore my profile thing

I'd be happy to check it for you but...at work right now. Strangely, Penny Arcade is one of the very few websites they don't block here.

Guess the Websense Admin is a fan or something.

Don't worry, thread slows down quite a bit this time every night. The morning crew will likely pick it up and critique if you repost it. =)

Sojorn on
  • Options
    variantvariant Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Man, so I was dating this girl off OKC for like 2 months. We'd spend lots of time together, things seemed great, so I had deactivated my profile. Then, two Sundays ago she said she was gonna be really busy next week, and I said okay. Texted her once twice during the week just to see how she was doing. Called her this past Sunday and asked if she wanted to hang out, said she would let me know but no call all week, so now I haven't seen her for 2 weeks and she's been on okc every night.

Bummer. I hate it when shit fizzles, now I don't feel like activating and starting again >.>

variant on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    variant wrote: »
    Man, so I was dating this girl off OKC for like 2 months. We'd spend lots of time together, things seemed great, so I had deactivated my profile. Then, two Sundays ago she said she was gonna be really busy next week, and I said okay. Texted her once twice during the week just to see how she was doing. Called her this past Sunday and asked if she wanted to hang out, said she would let me know but no call all week, so now I haven't seen her for 2 weeks and she's been on okc every night.

Bummer. I hate it when shit fizzles, now I don't feel like activating and starting again >.>

Bummer indeed. But from what you described...well, if she's that flaky at the end of things you can do better than her. Brush offs like that are very poor form.

On to better things and better people my friend. Don't let the bad experience get you down, you're bound to find someone worth your time, provided you actually get back on the OKC horse.

Sojorn on
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Fuck. I don't know how you people do it. I just spent awhile browsing profiles on OKC and I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to die alone. I mean I barely found anyone I'd want to bother messaging. And if I did, they'd probably be of the "I don't need to go online to meet non-skinny-blonde-chicks" camp like many posters here.

I mean. Not to say I don't have my own issues with standards.

Maybe I should just make the most misguidedly specific profile and leave it out there like some kind of crab trap collecting barnacles. "You should message me if: you're 6'2 and 200+ with a beard and an accent and into video games, horror/scifi, comics, and folk metal. must love dogs and cupcakes."

IT MIGHT WORK, RIGHT?

riz on
  • Options
    tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Awesome! A really cute girl who I have a lot in common with!
    Last Login: January 5th

D:

tardcore on