As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect] Lair of the Shadow Broker rules and you should buy it

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Interestingly, the
    suit upgrade history in Tali's dossier only appears if you romance her. She's installing all of the "How to Read Human Body Language" stuff as a way to try to see if Shepard is really interested in her. As for the Nerve Stimulator Pro, well, I'm guessing that all of that thinking about studly Commander Shepard is getting her tanks stirred up.

No, there is no danger that this could lead the thread down weird avenues.

Fairchild on
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    And if you're romancing Jack and
    take the no boom-boom Liara option when she visits the ship, Liara asks if you're doing this to give Jack faith in something besides blind anger.

Which is a very touching question, I think.

Fairchild on
  • Options
    kalkal Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Popesnax wrote: »
    Prohass wrote: »
    The rain on the windows, the subtle encouragement to investigate without the sense that your doing a 'level' or 'mission' in a game. And the goddamn rain. Games need way more environmental effects. But yeah I fucking loved it, and I loved how it didnt involve the anatomy of an asari in any way.

I really liked the cops doing their thing in the cutscene. For one thing, I always like seeing them put neat-yet-mundane effects on omnitools (scanning fingerprints, flashlights, etc), but more generally I enjoyed the whole crime scene drama feel. I sort of wish I'd had the opportunity to talk to the police and be all Phoenix Wright before they got dismissed, though.

That was a great scene. I loved the futuristic take on CSI. As was said Liara's apartment was a great section all together.

Just got to SB's ship myself and the DLC has been great so far.

kal on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    PopesnaxPopesnax Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    kal wrote: »
    The rain on the windows, the subtle encouragement to investigate without the sense that your doing a 'level' or 'mission' in a game. And the goddamn rain. Games need way more environmental effects. But yeah I fucking loved it, and I loved how it didnt involve the anatomy of an asari in any way.

I really liked the cops doing their thing in the cutscene. For one thing, I always like seeing them put neat-yet-mundane effects on omnitools (scanning fingerprints, flashlights, etc), but more generally I enjoyed the whole crime scene drama feel. I sort of wish I'd had the opportunity to talk to the police and be all Phoenix Wright before they got dismissed, though.

That was a great scene. I loved the futuristic take in CSI. As was said Liara's apartment was a great section all together.

I really liked the whole Ilium sequence because it actually included civilians. The main game mostly segregates the action to keep non-combatants out of the area during shooting sections (empty warehouses, merc bases, etc - or they're all dead by the time you arrive)), so it was kind of neat to see how the average citizen of Ilium reacts when shit starts exploding and people get shot. I mean, the way the world is presented it would be easy to assume that everyone in the 22nd century is totally accustomed to power-armored space marines running around shooting each other.

Really, that's an opportunity I think they've missed several times, especially with the Battle of the Citadel in ME1.

Popesnax on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

That was a great scene. I loved the futuristic take in CSI. As was said Liara's apartment was a great section all together.

I really liked the whole Ilium sequence because it actually included civilians. The main game mostly segregates the action to keep non-combatants out of the area during shooting sections (empty warehouses, merc bases, etc - or they're all dead by the time you arrive)), so it was kind of neat to see how the average citizen of Ilium reacts when shit starts exploding and people get shot. I mean, the way the world is presented it would be easy to assume that everyone in the 22nd century is totally accustomed to power-armored space marines running around shooting each other.

Really, that's an opportunity I think they've missed several times, especially with the Battle of the Citadel in ME1.

I agree. The only thing i would have liked better is if the took a more vertical approach to the chase scene. As it was it was just hit boost the whole time and follow.

kal on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010

I agree. The only thing i would have liked better is if the took a more vertical approach to the chase scene. As it was it was just hit boost the whole time and follow.

Indeed, the chase was really very easy. That's better than making it a pointlessly extended exercise in frustration like every other one of Bioware's vehicle sections, though. I'd be really happy if they just worked in a few more, somewhat expanded sequences using the same mechanics as the LotSB chase for ME3.

Come to think of it, a neat place to have a more open-ended car sequence would be on the Citadel - zooming around high above the wards and stuff would be pretty cool.

Popesnax on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Kind of annoyed they didn't do a Kelly style repeat visit thing.
    I know she's the Shadow Broker now, but come on.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    so i finally started having fun with the revenant when i realized that it has to be used within shotgun range

still, i think i like the vindicator or mattock better

stasis is the bonus power i took on legion's loyalty....got to the end, used it on the geth prime before it could fire

while the geth prime was all locked up, i charged the GPS

it came out
    BAM

OHKO

stasis is pretty awesome

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

This is so true, I was wondering what I loved so much about the Shadow Broker and this sums it up perfectly. It makes the world feel real, lived in and important. And your actions stand out and seem more spectacular because of this.

A lot of video games fuck this up, no matter how epic and crazy the action is, if its out of context and has no real grounding with reactions and such, it comes across as cheesy and video gamey. Its a problem a lot of films have as well.

Prohass on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

This is so true, I was wondering what I loved so much about the Shadow Broker and this sums it up perfectly. It makes the world feel real, lived in and important. And your actions stand out and seem more spectacular because of this.

A lot of video games fuck this up, no matter how epic and crazy the action is, if its out of context and has no real grounding with reactions and such, it comes across as cheesy and video gamey. Its a problem a lot of films have as well.

DA:O does a good job of incorporating innocent bystanders as well. There aren't a lot of them but just wandering by them and listening to their conversations is a nice treat. ME2 does it as well but for some reason i find the DA ones more complelling.

kal on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    so i finally started having fun with the revenant when i realized that it has to be used within shotgun range

stasis is the bonus power i took on legion's loyalty....got to the end, used it on the geth prime before it could fire

while the geth prime was all locked up, i charged the GPS

it came out
    BAM

OHKO

stasis is pretty awesome

With max assault rifles upgrades, I thought the Revenant was accurate enough. It also helps that it has a shit load of ammo to the point where I don't fear running out of it in the middle of a fight.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited September 2010

As I said in an above post, I think the endgame sequence of ME1 (which was nevertheless really cool) was a good example of this - the Citadel's all busted up, but you never see anyone except Geth and that Keeper which Saren shot. I think it would have been a lot more effective if you ran across at least a few corpses or the ruins of a C-Sec barricade or something. Just having Avina abstractly state "Civilian casualties are high" didn't really convey the same sense that serious shit was going down.

Popesnax on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Liara's apartment was a fantastic environment - the different parts of it you saw also painted a nice kind of picture of her character:
    I liked that the theme they had going for your old team was carried through: every time you encounter any one of them there was always an undertone that without Shepard they'd felt stuck in the past to a degree. The painting of Ilos and your armor seemed particularly poignant.

And I too, loved the rain. Rain and thunder are probably my favorite elements of real life weather, and done right in video games it always has a profound effect on me.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Also, it appears Stasis may be slightly overpowered: (endgame spoiler)

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Im supposed to be doing essays but instead ive started a fan art of Mordin. Any requests?

Im possibly going to do him in Gilbert and Sulivan costume.

Prohass on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    @electricity:

eh, that doesn't really help him much, all things considered

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It's hilarious that it even works there, since Christina Norman's blog said they prevented it from working on certain major enemies to balance it.

Also, I'll say it again: the apartment is awesome in part because of how it evokes Bladerunner.
    -Loki- wrote: »

It's supposed to be tender, not a booty call.
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Interestingly, the
    suit upgrade history in Tali's dossier only appears if you romance her.

None of my runs have romanced Tali and I've seen that dossier on both trips through Shadow Broker.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    plush - that means all your sheps (which I believe are female anyway) have a crazed quarian pining for them in the engineering section. How sad. D:

envoy1 on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Didn't mean exactly like Kelly. But the 'Come back soon, Liara' was like :(

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

It's even more :( when you don't do the romance.

The whole thing reminded me how good Mass Effect's conversations can be in terms of atmosphere.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I wouldn't say it's just for shottie range. You can fire in bursts and hit further than that. But yea, in general, it's shorter ranged than the other ARs. The thing is, the higher damage and abundance of ammo on the Revenant more than makes up for the lower accuracy, whereas a Vindicator or Mattock will be much more accurate, but you'll find yourself constantly running out of ammo.

If you're getting annoyed by enemies that're beyond effective Revenant range, just hide behind cover and switch to your sniper rifle, that's what it's there for.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

I wouldn't say it's just for shottie range. You can fire in bursts and hit further than that. But yea, in general, it's shorter ranged than the other ARs. The thing is, the higher damage and abundance of ammo on the Revenant more than makes up for the lower accuracy, whereas a Vindicator or Mattock will be much more accurate, but you'll find yourself constantly running out of ammo.

If you're getting annoyed by enemies that're beyond effective Revenant range, just hide behind cover and switch to your sniper rifle, that's what it's there for.

The Revenant is most fun when used as kind of a "fuck youuuuuu" weapon. Get in cover on the opposite side of your enemy and when they hop up to shoot your team mates you hop up and pop and empty 50 rounds into them at point blank range.

In this sense, it is the funnest gun to use on the
    Derelict reaper, since fighting all the husks is exactly like that.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    So...
    when the sb says he can at least take the Normandy IFF to get what's left of the base, does that mean that collector tech will be useful in ME3 even if you blew up the base? Just wondering.

envoy1 on
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That sig pic. Do you have a bigger version?

joshgotro on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

It's even more :( when you don't do the romance.

The whole thing reminded me how good Mass Effect's conversations can be in terms of atmosphere.

I was pretty surprised. Mass Effects dialog is good, but not that good. The dialog between Liara and Shepard in LotSB is fantastic.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    joshgotro wrote: »
    That sig pic. Do you have a bigger version?

dude - not really, but google images mass effect 2 and you'll get a wealth of pics.

envoy1 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Re timing of LotSB
    I know it's weighted towards doing after suicide mission, but isn't it much more useful to do as soon as you get illium? All the training, upgrades and deliveries and crap you get on the base would be damn useful for the rest of the game. As it is all those goodies are slightly wasted if you do it after the suicide mission.

envoy1 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    envoy1 wrote: »
    So...
    when the sb says he can at least take the Normandy IFF to get what's left of the base, does that mean that collector tech will be useful in ME3 even if you blew up the base? Just wondering.

Probably not.
    I assume that Bioware just threw that in as a macguffin to help explain why he's still fighting you instead of running away or something. Besides, since you're the only ones who've really seen what's on the other side, its possible his Intel on the situation with the base is incomplete, based on secondhand info from Cerberus reports.

Also, does that mean the Normandy is still the only ship that can traverse the Omega 4 relay? Because the Illusive Man apparently manages to get ships through in the "Everybody dies" ending...

Popesnax on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I thought the only reason ships didn't come back was because the collectors destroyed them, not something do to with the relay itself.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Amazingly it's on the first page and it's a larger version. Thank you.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I thought the only reason ships didn't come back was because the collectors destroyed them, not something do to with the relay itself.

As I understood it, if you go through using standard Mass Relay procedures, the margin of error makes it very likely that you will get shot out the other side right into a black hole (or a bunch of debris, depending). If you have the Reaper IFF, it activates hidden protocols in the Relay's computer which greatly reduce the margin of error so you don't fly into a black hole or a supernova or something.

Popesnax on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

As I understood it, if you go through using standard Mass Relay procedures, the margin of error makes it very likely that you will get shot out the other side right into a black hole (or a bunch of debris, depending). If you have the Reaper IFF, it activates hidden protocols in the Relay's computer which greatly reduce the margin of error so you don't fly into a black hole or a supernova or something.

It seemed a lot more likely that the Collectors destroyed them. After all, if they got shot into the black holes then there wouldn't be loads and loads of debris around.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Oh right, I had another thought re: killing Reapers
    Considering that the Reapers come through to the galaxy via the Citadel, surely that creates an easy way to stop them if you know where they're coming from. Just deorbit the Citadel into it's star and then trigger the Citadel relay at the last moment.

Or move it through the Omega-4 relay and put it inside the event horizon of a black hole.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Considering that the Reapers come through to the galaxy via the Citadel, surely that creates an easy way to stop them if you know where they're coming from. Just deorbit the Citadel into it's star and then trigger the Citadel relay at the last moment.

Or move it through the Omega-4 relay and put it inside the event horizon of a black hole.

The problem with that is
    The council doesn't believe in reapers. Getting them to willingly evacuate and potentially destroy the political hub of the galaxy isn't going to happen.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

The problem with that is
    The council doesn't believe in reapers. Getting them to willingly evacuate and potentially destroy the political hub of the galaxy isn't going to happen.
    Not to mention have you guys seen how many of those fucking things are out there? All of them wouldn't instantaneously pass through the relay. Maybe you'd kill a few but then you'd be back at square one with them coming your way through dark space and would have destroyed the largest and most important station in the galaxy for nothing. Nice job.

Actually, you probably wouln't kill any of them. The fields they produce can more than likely protect them from the dangerous solar winds and radiations of a close distance to a star. The "dead" reaper you boarded in the second game was pretty damn close to that star.

YOUR IDEA HAS BEEN REJECTED!

Dashui on
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Dashui wrote: »

The problem with that is
    Not to mention have you guys seen how many of those fucking things are out there? All of them wouldn't instantaneously pass through the relay. Maybe you'd kill a few but then you'd be back at square one with them coming your way through dark space and would have destroyed the largest and most important station in the galaxy for nothing. Nice job.

Actually, you probably wouln't kill any of them. The fields they produce can more than likely protect them from the dangerous solar winds and radiations of a close distance to a star. The "dead" reaper you boarded in the second game was pretty damn close to that star.

that's a very deus ex ending when you think about it.
    i.e. the one where you destroy helios and send the world back to the stone age. If you get rid of the citadel then the mass relays won't work, there won't *be* an intergalactic anything to speak of.

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    evilthecat wrote: »
    Dashui wrote: »

The problem with that is

that's a very deus ex ending when you think about it.
    i.e. the one where you destroy helios and send the world back to the stone age. If you get rid of the citadel then the mass relays won't work, there won't *be* an intergalactic anything to speak of.

Sure, but they'd still be coming anyway so you'd just screw yourself for nothing.

Anyway, this is silly and pointless! Clearly Shepard will defeat the reapers by scouring the galaxy for Mordin's old theater friends and will then put on the greatest salarian opera you've ever heard, astounding and bringing the reapers to tears through the beautiful song and dance of Mordin Solus.

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Also, is it just me or do the DLCs have some of the greatest combat themes ever?

Overlord is probably the best, but LotSBs is pretty hardcore as well.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

It seemed a lot more likely that the Collectors destroyed them. After all, if they got shot into the black holes then there wouldn't be loads and loads of debris around.

But the Collectors were unable to fend off a single frigate (albeit a highly advanced frigate with an ace pilot, but a frigate nonetheless) - how could they have successfully slaughtered every single ship to come through prior to that when all they apparently have is one cruiser and a few of those flying eyeball fighters? Surely the Normandy isn't the first armed ship to transit the relay.

Popesnax on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I think the ending of Mass Effect 2 has made it clear that...
    The Reapers have given up on the Citadel-Relay shortcut and are now simply flying through empty space towards our galaxy. They're taking the long, slow way to get to us, basically.

I hope for their sake they remembered to bring some music along for their trip. :P

WotanAnubis on