As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Monday Night Combat: Now with Steam group!

PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity.Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Games and Technology
Welcome to the Game Battle Monday Night Combat thread!

When posting here and playing with other people remember:

a) Rank 70+ only allowed.
b) Play to win.

Recruiting can tak… wait, how did you escape? Get off me!

Please hold

Huh, what?

Oh right.
Welcome to the Penny Arcade Monday Night Combat thread!

When posting here and playing with other people remember:

a) Don’t be a silly goose.
b) Have fun!

Steam group!

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/pamnc

ObiFett wrote: »
The title for this thread needs to be changed for this awesome piece of information:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/63200/

Yes. That is a steam link. For this game.
Monday Night Combat is now on Steam! Pre-Order today for Beta going live this week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_eTsZXZ1LE

Download the free content now, damn it! Spunky Cola is pretty damn fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKjiHhXyfW4&feature=player_embedded#![/QUOTE]

PA MNC Clan is now full, send your invites to Booker's 'A PA MNC'.
[strike]Send your invites to "PA MNC Clan". I'm running the same rules as I did with MW2 in that I won't be sending invites, as everybody sending one invite is better than me sending every invite. I also run on wacky Australian time-zones, so if your invite hasn't been accepted after a while, post here or PM me.[/strike]

What is MNC? VIEW THIS FIRST

As you can see, Monday Night Combat is a console Action/RTS in the vein of Guilty Gear 2 and Brutal Legend. Yes you make units like you would in an RTS, but you get to fight along side them, making them much more frantic than a typical RTS.

MNC borrows heavily from Defense of the Ancients. Your army is not directly under your control, so those who are concerned about too much RTS can relax. Your units passively march to the opposing side in a predetermined path drawn on the ground, and if left alone, will just cancel out opposing units for all eternity.

It's up to YOU, a "Pro" (hero unit), to back up your army to push to the other side. You do this by helping them fight off the opposing units, as well as the opposing Pros trying to do the same thing. Once at the other side, they can take down the enemy Moneyball (base) and lower it's shield. Then both you and your army can destroy it for a win.

Killing opposing Pros and units yields money that you can pick up and spend on better units, defensive turrets on your base, or new abilities for yourself! If you are not a team player, and want to be in the middle of the action, you can spend lots of money on new abilities. If the task calls for defense, you can buy, and upgrade, turrets. And of course, you can spend on bigger and better robots to fight their way into the opposing base.

How you play will depend on the Pro you choose. There are six classes, and there are no factions. Battles are always Hotshots vs Icemen (Red vs Blue).

The classes (NO THIS GAME IS NOT LIKE TF2)

So the class you choose determines how you fight, as well as your personal role in a team match.

The Assault Pro has a machine gun and grenade launcher. They are a great 'all-around' class. It is also compulsory that you yell 'SHORYUKEN!' when you use the Level 3 grapple.

Primary Fire - Machine Gun. Left trigger gives you more focused aiming.
Alternate Fire - Grenade Launcher. Fires grenades that bounce or explode on enemy contact. Left trigger is a grapple.

Assault Abilities
X - Bomb. Lobs a grenade that stays on the ground and highlights its radius. Press X again to detonate it for a knockback effect that can burn the enemy Pro for a little while. Great for large clusters of enemies.
Y - Flight (Passive). Pressing the jump button again lets you hover in the air for a moment. Key to guarding against Assassins.
B - Dash. Lets you charge and ram into enemies. Capable of knocking them over or, when upgraded, performing a Shoryuken-esque grapple.
Class Upgrade - Improve jump height and critical shots.

The Tank is a big slob is slow and heavy. He carries a Jet Engine that is powerful, but has limited range. For long range fighting, it can be modified into a rail gun to pick off mid to long range enemies. He is great at bot and turret removal, and is a menace if you aren't prepared.

Primary Fire - Jet Gun. Fires a short range stream of heat that can kill enemies almost instantly. Up close it can burn enemies.
Alternate Fire - Rail Gun. Fires long range rifle shots. Good for medium to long range.

Tank Abilities
X - Product Grenade. Lobs a grenade that damages enemies. When upgraded, it blinds the opponent's screen with advertising.
Tank Deploy. Morphs you into a turret. Jet Gun increases range, and your defense and healing increases. Press A to fire your jets and burn enemies behind you.
B - Jet Charge. Lets you charge and ram into enemies.
Class Upgrade - Increases Health and Health recovery.

The Sniper stays in the back and picks off enemy pros and robots from a distance. They can also set traps around themselves, or the enemy routes to slow them down.
Primary Fire - Sniper Rifle. Left trigger lets you zoom.
Alt Fire - SMG. Basic smg to defend yourself at close range. Left trigger is a grapple.

Sniper Abilities
X - Flak Press X to throw a grenade that damages an area for a time.
Y - Traps. Throws a debuffer that slows enemies for defensive purposes.
B - Grapple. A grapple that spins or throws enemies. So this character always has a grapple available.
Class Upgrade: Adds penetration and explosions to the sniper rifle.

The Support is a Combat Medic. They don't have the raw firepower of other classes, but don't underestimate them, they can be pivotal to winning or losing.
Primary Fire - Healgun. Right trigger heals allies. Left trigger steals health from enemies.
Alt Fire - Shotgun. Right trigger fires a limited range shot. Left trigger is a grapple.

Support Abilities
X - Hack Turret. Hold X near a turret and it will be upgraded beyond it's current level.
Y - Firebase. Throws a turret that can fight enemies and protect you.
B - Airstrike.. Throws a beacon that can stick to enemies and command bomb drops from the sky. DOES NOT go through bridges. If someone is on a bridge, just throw the airstrike underneath them for a sucker punch.

The Assassin has shurikens and a dagger for sneaking up on enemies and shanking them. They are fast movers and a great harassment class. They also happen to be the best class in the game (Shut up! I'm not biased! You're biased!)
Primary Fire - Dagger. A close range knife for shanking enemies. Reload performs a lunge attack. Left trigger is an assassin grapple.
Alt Fire - Shuriken Launcher. Rapidly fires shurikens that bounce. Left trigger is another grapple.

Assassin Abilities
X - Dash Press X for a quick boost of speed to run in or out of the fray.
Y - Cloak. A classic cloak straight out of Halo or Predator.
B - Smoke bomb. Instanly blind enemies around you to escape. Press A right after using it for a massive leap into the air. Master this well.
Class Upgrade - Change the Dagger to a Sword, and decrease fall damage.

The Gunner could be called Heavy Weapons Guy. He has some great offensive capabilities, and is solid at defeating pros, bots and turrets, with some time and effort.
Primary Fire - Minigun. A classic heavy machine gun. Left trigger revs it when not in use, but you're slowed down just like you are when you're firing it.
Alt Fire - Mortar Launcher. Launches mortars. Left trigger is a grapple.

Gunner Abilities
X - Slam Create a shockwave that knocks away and stuns enemies.
Y - Gunner Deploy. Become a turret. Improves Attack, Defense and Accuracy, but you can't move. Press A to fire your jets and burn enemies behind you.
B - Grapple. A powerful grapple. So you always have a grapple available. It can be improved to become a throw.
Class Upgrade - Minigun becomes a Double Minigun. Mortars fragment in midair.

The Pro you pick determines where you'll be doing your fighting, but no matter who you are, it's your bots who much crack the Moneyball shield.

Your Army

Here is a picture of the different type of robots you can purchase. Each has different costs, strengths and weaknesses, but they all have the goal of reaching the opposing side and lowering it's shields for you.
800px-MNC_robots.jpg

Bots come in two classes: Breach Bots and Eliminator Bots. Breach Bots are designed to target enemy bots, turrets and of course, the Moneyball. Slims, Blackjacks and Jackbots are freebies. They automatically spawn out of your base at pre-determined times. Eliminator Bots are designed to target enemy Pros. Every Pro has a unique Bot (except the Gunner and Tank, who share the Bouncer) that they can spawn by spending $100 at the floating green hologram right next to where the free Bots spawn.

Free Bots: Units who automatically spawn and fight their way to the Moneyball.
Slim - A small, weak mook that just shoots a little and dies quick.
Blackjack - The standard bot that fights in packs of up too three and is quite durable.
Jackbot XL - A MASSIVE bot with a lot of health that will wipe out turrets, Pros and bots in the way.

Pro Bots:
Buzzer (Assault) - Comes in groups. They fly in the air, swarm onto opponents and self destruct.
Gremlin (Assassin) - Imitates the Assassin. Turn on cloaking and tried to shank opponents.
Gapshot (Support) - Fires mortars high in the air while walking forward.
Scrambler (Sniper) - Approaches opposing Pros and drains their skills/grapple cooldown.
Bouncer (Tank and Gunner) - Charges into the enemy lines and tries to grapple Pros.

Defense Turrets
Pitgirl is a cheeleader/engineer, with mad jiggle physics. You purchase Defensive Turrets from her. Good placement can be key to good defense. If they blow up, it takes a while for one to be replaced. If you see one damaged, UPGRADE it to restore it's health.

Up - LazRazor Turret. Very cheap, basic turret. Put them in the front for early defense. At Level 3 they are pretty tough, though.
Down - Shaved Ice Turret. A debuff turret that fires ice to slow down enemies. Put them away from the front, and around corners.
Left - Long Range Turret. A mortar. Keep these away from the front lines and they will pick off enemies from far away.
Right - Rock It Turret. A very expensive but powerful turret. 3.3 Rock It Turrets are the stuff dreams are made of.

The Annihilator
A hologram shaped like a an exclamation mark, located in the middle of each map. This is a kill-switch that for $250 can destroy all enemy bots (except Jackbots at full health, but it deals massive damage) and hurt enemy Pros as well. It is slow-charging (look at the meter filling up in the hologram circle), but it can rapidly turn the tide of battle. Keep an eye on its charge level, be financially prepared for it whenever possible, and use it to prevent the other team from taking advantage of it.

Juice (And why you should be bursting full of it)
As you damage enemies and their property (as well as hurting Bullseye and healing with Support), your juice meter fills. Once it reaches maximum, press both bumpers to kick this duel into over- erm, I mean, activate a short super-mode that replenishes your health and gives a massive boost to attack, defence and speed. It can also be bought at purple juice stations for $500, at locations which vary based on the map you are on. It is a great stalemate breaker, use it well.

The Mascot: Bullseye
Adding a pinch of random party elements, occasionally a Mascot will jump around and act stupid, dropping money and power-ups. Shoot him as much as you can to get him to drop more, but collect it carefully. Everyone knows that Bullseye is out, and you're easy pickings if you're distracted. Also, if you grapple the Mascot, he WILL throw you on your ass.

Developer Match Walkthrough

Developer 2nd Match Walkthrough

With thanks to Cantido for the OP I shamelessly copy pasted.

Hey-Oh!

PaperLuigi44 on

• joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Luigi for board takeover.

joshgotro on
  • TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nice OP. Remember, if your new to the game, pick the support as they are clearly OverPowered.

Tommatt on
  • stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    There needs to stop being other games so I can just play this all the time.

stevemarks44 on
  • Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    MNC has been making me depressed recently.

That patch still isn't out.

Delta Assault on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    joshgotro wrote: »

Aww, you're just saying that.

And I am in fact up for Monday Night Combat if anybody is too.

EDIT: Scratch that, dinner first, then MNC.

PaperLuigi44 on
    edited September 2010
    joshgotro wrote: »

Aww, you're just saying that.

And I am in fact up for Monday Night Combat if anybody is too.

EDIT: Scratch that, dinner first, then MNC.

bout to play a game or 2 myself. I'll see if you're playing

Tommatt on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This is a game I play and enjoy.

Quid on
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Need patch!

Need bacon!

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
    edited September 2010
    Great games luigi and josh. We played what was I think an organized team and won one, lost two in some close matches. They had an interesting strategy.

They'd basically turtle, do some bot pushing, assasin strikes etc... but mainly they got rocket turrets up at all sites. Then would rush in covering their supports to hack our rocket turrets. It worked extremely well.

Tommatt on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Good games, Tom and Josh, those were some tough players we fought, especially that Sniper/Tank guy, jesus he worked fast.

Also, I finally got Flapjack Master, it was on a Support that was rushing into our base, I just so happened to be leaving the spawn room at the time. 200/200 WOO!

PaperLuigi44 on
    edited September 2010
    Good games, Tom and Josh, those were some tough players we fought, especially that Sniper/Tank guy, jesus he worked fast.

Also, I finally got Flapjack Master, it was on a Support that was rushing into our base, I just so happened to be leaving the spawn room at the time. 200/200 WOO!

Gonna have to play some SSF4 to get my SRK down so I can 200/200 this game it seems.

Tommatt on
    edited September 2010
    Tommatt wrote: »

Gonna have to play some SSF4 to get my SRK down so I can 200/200 this game it seems.

Yeah, I realised after a while that Assassin backstabs don't count toward the grapple achievement, only frontal attacks.

But trust me, an Assault with Skill Recovery/Armour/Speed and Lv 3 Dash will get you 10 grapple kills in no time (although I don't think ring outs count either).

PaperLuigi44 on
    edited September 2010
    Tommatt wrote: »

Yeah, I realised after a while that Assassin backstabs don't count toward the grapple achievement, only frontal attacks.

But trust me, an Assault with Skill Recovery/Armour/Speed and Lv 3 Dash will get you 10 grapple kills in no time (although I don't think ring outs count either).

Having missed most of my assault grapples, how bad is the knockback after the SRK? About half of the snipers rifle punt? Less? More?

Tommatt on
    edited September 2010
    I can't really quantify the distance between the two, your best best to avoid a ring out is to not be facing the edge of the map. His SRK does quite a bit of damage, so weakening your enemy with a AR burst helps too (since you'll kill them with the grapple before they ring out that way).

As for missing the grapple, it is actually very generous with its accuracy, but it is easiest to use in CQC or when an enemy is distracted by someone else.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • EtherealWalrusEtherealWalrus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I would just like to throw out a reminder that no team needs more than two Assassins or Snipers. Goddammit pubs.

EtherealWalrus on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    ...but they'll never see team infinite assassin coming!

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I thought Bullseye only sent you flying if you tried to grapple him? I could have sworn I'd bumped into him to unleash point blank minigun in his face and collect money as soon as it dropped without him doing anything to me.

Lars on
  • Blue mapBlue map Hello darkness, my old friend. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    [nitpick]GapShots belong in the breach bot category.[/nitpick]

Blue map on
    My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    ...but they'll never see team infinite assassin coming!

This idea sounds so terrible that it just might work! :lol:

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You rock, Luigi. Military classes are killing me and I'm not playing as much now.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    On the support thing, I just wanted to be clear that I don't mind supports who push lanes, etc.

The only things I think need nerfing are to get them out of their damn base and actually play the game, so we don't have our entire team feeding them juice while three of them sit in the base healing whatever turret we happen to shoot at.

Restricting the amount of juice a support can get from any individual (one full heal's worth), and reducing the healing rate for turrets, excepting maybe the firebase.

I don't think they're overpowered, I just think they're too rewarding for turtling players. And turtling is boring.

e: Not that anyone is talking about this anymore. So. Uh.

We should play, or something.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Blue map wrote: »

So are scramblers, as long as we are nitpicking.

Inquisitor on
  • T0MBERENGERT0MBERENGER Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Played a little tank this afternoon with pubs. That class is such a good template. It plays totally different base on your endorsements. Anyway, I made tons of money.

T0MBERENGER on
  • Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I think we tried Team All-Gunner once, it was a lot of bullet.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • KillerBeeGeesKillerBeeGees Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »

So are scramblers, as long as we are nitpicking.

Don't they really need their own category? Or at least some caveats to their description if they get moved/stay. I was pretty confused with these comments at first, since I was considering the automatic/free spawning to be the defining characteristic.

KillerBeeGees on
    edited September 2010
    Oh sure, now you guys nitpick the OP. After all the effort I took to copy paste it.
    I was meaning to fix up that Bullseye part and I'll just change the terms used to seperate the bots.

EDIT: On second thought, I fixed up the Bullseye info, but I'll try to think of a better way to re-word the paragraph describing the two types of bots at work.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Whatever their category, do people find much use in Scramblers? Feels like Gapshots, Gremlins, and Bouncers all have uses but Scramblers and Buzzers are totally ineffectual.

wonderpug on
    edited September 2010
    wonderpug wrote: »
    Whatever their category, do people find much use in Scramblers? Feels like Gapshots, Gremlins, and Bouncers all have uses but Scramblers and Buzzers are totally ineffectual.
    Buzzers are useful if the auto pathing decides to work, Scramblers are absolutely terrible in basically every respect.

Blue map on
    My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
  • Tridus1xTridus1x Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Been out of XBL for a while but I was wondering, did they fix the matchmaking in this game yet? Also if any class nerfs/buffs happened can someone give a quick recap? Pretty sure this game is still awesome either way and hopefully i'll hop on tommorow.

Tridus1x on
    edited September 2010
    Tridus1x wrote: »
    Been out of XBL for a while but I was wondering, did they fix the matchmaking in this game yet? Also if any class nerfs/buffs happened can someone give a quick recap? Pretty sure this game is still awesome either way and hopefully i'll hop on tommorow.
    No unfortunately the match making still sucks also, no class buffs or nerfs but pay bots now have a ten second cool down as opposed to the previous five. The game is still awesome though.

Blue map on
    edited September 2010
    Buzzers are useful if the auto pathing decides to work, Scramblers are absolutely terrible in basically every respect.

In blitz they're terrifying.

Crossfire they're only really a nuisance to my assassin since I rarely use the shurikens.

Quid on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Has there been a patch recently? Last time I was playing there was nothing but lag and incredibly fast assassins.

urahonky on
  • KillerBeeGeesKillerBeeGees Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Quid wrote: »

Crossfire they're only really a nuisance to my assassin since I rarely use the shurikens.

Mind clarifying on that second point? I can't tell if you're talking about Scramblers (which would keep you from using your skills, of which shurikens are not one?) or Buzzers (which may be drawn to people firing ranged weapons? this would be a pretty big revelation for me).

KillerBeeGees on
    edited September 2010
    Alright, I went through and tidied up the OP, let me know if there's anything I missed.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • dinoarusdinoarus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Mind clarifying on that second point? I can't tell if you're talking about Scramblers (which would keep you from using your skills, of which shurikens are not one?) or Buzzers (which may be drawn to people firing ranged weapons? this would be a pretty big revelation for me).

I would guess: rarely uses shurikens>has to kill scramblers at melee range>skills get drained.

and nice job with the OP Luigi

dinoarus on
    Steam/XBL: OGSTudbone
    edited September 2010
    Thanks OG, I was spurred into a frenzy of nitpicking and tweaking (And of course after making my previous post I scanned the OP again did like five different edits until I was happy).

PaperLuigi44 on
    edited September 2010
    dinoarus wrote: »

I would guess: rarely uses shurikens>has to kill scramblers at melee range>skills get drained.

and nice job with the OP Luigi

Yeah this. My aim's generally pretty bad to start with so I stick with melee attacks which makes Scramblers the only bot I find actually bothersome to kill as an Assassin.

Quid on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Honestly, learn to use your shurikens. In the rare case that someone spawns Scramblers, either use your shurikens, or run from them and let someone else take care of it. They're fragile, so it only takes a couple mortars or grenades to take them down. They'll disappear fast enough.

But still, learn to use your shurikens. They're glorious. People who run from assassins and wait around a corner to blast you when you come after them are generally freaked enough to make a mistake when shit comes flying around the corner at them.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    edited September 2010
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Honestly, learn to use your shurikens. In the rare case that someone spawns Scramblers, either use your shurikens, or run from them and let someone else take care of it. They're fragile, so it only takes a couple mortars or grenades to take them down. They'll disappear fast enough.

But still, learn to use your shurikens. They're glorious. People who run from assassins and wait around a corner to blast you when you come after them are generally freaked enough to make a mistake when shit comes flying around the corner at them.

Especially when running RoF gold, you can just spam shurikens around corners, bouncing up walls, and somehow rack up pro kills. Maybe people think they're not getting hurt until their dead, I dunno.

Tommatt on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I think I'm going to give Gold Skill Recharge Tank a shot soon which means I'm finally going to have to wean myself off of the basic controls and give tactical a shot.

The ability to aim while throwing my grenade sounds too useful.

Inquisitor on