As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[LOTRO] Please continue your banter in the next thread

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Triple B wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    HUGE NEWS FROM THE DEV CHAT:

Radiance gear is no more; they are removing the radiance requirements for raids from the game in the very near future.

Hey, awesome. So I busted my ass to get gear I no longer need. Sweet! That totally makes me want to invest more time in LOTRO. :x

Bah. I'm updating now. Hopefully they'll have fixed the "this game doesn't work on a system that's actually up-to-date" thing. :cry:

Uhm dude, they're simply not going to geargate Isengard, that doesn't nullify your 120rad set. Those sets have other stats you know. =/ Also, lev cap to 70 and most of your gear is no longer needed anyway.

Basically: get over yourself and start playing and enjoying the fucking game or go and do something else you do enjoy. There's no point in playing a MMO if you burst a vein every time they change a feature.

Aldo on
  • Options
    JohanFlickJohanFlick Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    turtleant wrote: »
    Does anybody know a good alternative to the down loader on the official site? It keeps crashing after about 15 minutes.

What version are you downloading, high rezolution or low? I'm downloading the low resolution one for my wife (she wants to try the game that is stealing so much of my time), and it is going smooth so far. Her PC uses Windows XP.

JohanFlick on
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just downloaded the free version, but I can't create an account... I either need a product key (I cant find one considering I just downloaded it directly), or the link on the website doesn't work properly...?

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Fallingman wrote: »
    I just downloaded the free version, but I can't create an account... I either need a product key (I cant find one considering I just downloaded it directly), or the link on the website doesn't work properly...?

I think they email you the key?

KiTA on
  • Options
    kyleh613kyleh613 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Aldo wrote: »
    Uhm dude, they're simply not going to geargate Isengard, that doesn't nullify your 120rad set. Those sets have other stats you know. =/ Also, lev cap to 70 and most of your gear is no longer needed anyway.

Basically: get over yourself and start playing and enjoying the fucking game or go and do something else you do enjoy. There's no point in playing a MMO if you burst a vein every time they change a feature.

My biggest concern with the RAD removal is that Turbine isn't going to make up for it in someway. A good alternative would be making the other stat bonuses better. Because otherwise syndalis was correct in that it would be a lot of wasted effort, as the gear, without the radiance, isn't much better then the Moria set. The fact that they are taking their time though, kind of suggests that they have bigger plans then just a straight up removal of the radiance stat. Raiding pretty much revolves around that stat for Moria and Mirkwood raids, so they have to re-itemize the gear and I expect this will take awhile.

I'm glad radiance is getting the boot, but i'm pessimistic that Turbine won't screw it up in someway or make it very undesirable for people who want challenging content.

kyleh613 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    kyleh613 wrote: »

My biggest concern with the RAD removal is that Turbine isn't going to make up for it in someway. A good alternative would be making the other stat bonuses better. Because otherwise syndalis was correct in that it would be a lot of wasted effort, as the gear, without the radiance, isn't much better then the Moria set. The fact that they are taking their time though, kind of suggests that they have bigger plans then just a straight up removal of the radiance stat. Raiding pretty much revolves around that stat for Moria and Mirkwood raids, so they have to re-itemize the gear and I expect this will take awhile.

this is true, the 30rad set is exactly as good as the 25 rad set. I'm kinda sad that there's hardly any gear upgrades between the 10rad set and the 30rad set. Even jewellery is mostly unimpressive as the difference between Glowing Aureate stuff and stuff from Barad Guldur is minimal.

Aldo on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wow the Lotro store is a giant rip off. One character class costs $12? Mines of Moria expansion costs $45, when I can get it from Amazon for $8 or Gamestop for $10?

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Wow the Lotro store is a giant rip off. One character class costs $12? Mines of Moria expansion costs $45, when I can get it from Amazon for $8 or Gamestop for $10?

Yeah, a lot of the previous stuff is very overpriced now. It use to be that a new account with all of the current content was only $30. This is why just staying V.I.P. is a good idea. I suppose you can justify it in that you don't have to pay a monthly fee anymore, however premium membership really sucks unless all you have left to do is end game content.

Also take advantage of the Direct2Drive offer, they give you two keys, one is for 30 days of VIP gameplay with all of the content, and the other key is for 1000 points. Just spend the $5 for the points and you can make multiple D2D accounts for more points. I don't know what you would do with the account keys though, maybe just give them away. That is what a lot of people are doing on other forums anyways.

Plus ever since the patch, the launcher has had so many problems for me. Logging in is very hit or miss now, where for the last 3 years, i've never once had any problems. Now with the flood of new people, the login server is very unstable. Hoping it eventually balances out, as not all of the new players are going to stick around. Most are likely just here to check the game out for a little bit. But right now I am just wishing the game would go back to how it was a week ago, only with the brand new zone and other updates, just not the F2P. This isn't turning out to be worth it for current subscribers. Although the boost to my kins numbers has been very nice. And we only recruit people from one specific forum, a lot like how the PA kin works.

kyleh613 on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, I was pretty happy with their pricing when I thought it was $1 for 100 points. But then I checked out the actual values and... yeah, the pricing is ridiculous.

I am only going to buy stuff on sale and carefully use VIP subscriptions to pick up a lot of stuff (such as riding skill, bag slots, etc) for 'free'.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ugh, I need a ton of Superior Third Marks after running Annun last night to pick up some bits of the set.

So many.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't get this "freeness" at all. Now instead of a reasonable, standard monthly fee, it feels like they're nickel and diming us. Oh well, I hope it works out for them and they pull in more money. It's a good game and deserves players.

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Radiance was, imo, the worst thing in LotRO. Even if it meant my Rad gear turned to dust getting rid of it is fine by me.

Edit: What's this D2D business? Can it not be applied to existing accounts?

Scooter on
  • Options
    JohanFlickJohanFlick Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't get this "freeness" at all. Now instead of a reasonable, standard monthly fee, it feels like they're nickel and diming us. Oh well, I hope it works out for them and they pull in more money. It's a good game and deserves players.

You could always pay a monthly fee and get access to most of the content. F2P is an option, but not the only one. 10$/month on a 3-monthly subscription, and no nickel and diming.

JohanFlick on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Scooter wrote: »
    Radiance was, imo, the worst thing in LotRO. Even if it meant my Rad gear turned to dust getting rid of it is fine by me.

Edit: What's this D2D business? Can it not be applied to existing accounts?

Right now they have a "LOTRO starter pack" with a retail price of $20 but currently on sale for $5 (at least it was yesterday, probably a weekend thing). You get a month of VIP service and 1000 points - the points can be applied to an existing account, not sure about the free month. But $5 for 1000 points is still a good deal.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Uh you can still pay the monthly fee if you want. Now you can either pay the monthly fee or buy stuff in the store with points. the "Freeness" is that you don't have to pay for stuff unless you want to. What's not to get?

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I'm a happy camper with my lifetime sub. :P

Still no date for EU patch. I'm enjoying myself with Borderlands in the meantime.

Aldo on
  • Options
    Blood DriveBlood Drive Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    kyleh613 wrote: »
    This is really tempting to buy; http://www.direct2drive.com/6/9814/product/Buy-The-Lord-of-The-Rings-Online%E2%84%A2-VIP-Starter-Pack-Download

I wonder if I can apply the code to an already existing account?

Im going to echo similar statements that this is a fantastic deal for points, you get 200 points a dollar vs 138 a dollar with turbines top deal right now. Unfortunately I was unable to use the VIP access to upgrade an existing account. HOWEVER, my account so to speak was a beta account and i never actually paid for the game so it might be different if you had an account and add it to your myaccount.turbine.com page.

Blood Drive on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Htown wrote: »

Uh you can still pay the monthly fee if you want. Now you can either pay the monthly fee or buy stuff in the store with points. the "Freeness" is that you don't have to pay for stuff unless you want to. What's not to get?

I apologize if it's been answered already, but what is not available for F2Pers?
    I know DDO has stores that you can access with real money regardless of where you are (as opposed to walking back to town), as well as character classes you can buy into.

see317 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Ugh, I need a ton of Superior Third Marks after running Annun last night to pick up some bits of the set.

So many.

I've just been running the two 3-mans, once a day, doing their hardmodes. Sometimes we walk out with 3 - 4 Superior Third Marks. Its been working out nicely. My kin is going to do one of the new raids tonight, we are excited.

kyleh613 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    lotro.jpg?t=1275691937
    Premium = a previous subscriber or if you've spent actual money for something.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    I'm enjoying myself with Borderlands in the meantime.

Or you could bodyguard my warden through Lonelands so I can get that woodworking craft quest done. <_<

Echo on
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    With that direct 2 drive deal thats still on for a few hours, what would stop someone from buying 10 copies of it for 10 point codes?

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    from what i've read it only works on new accounts

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Are minstrel still awesome? I recall playing one and absolutely loving it because you could both be a helpful healer and a bitch ass fighter when soloing. Was good fun.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    from what i've read it only works on new accounts

The points code definitely work on existing accounts (it's just like a point card). I think D2D limits you to one purchase, but you could make multiple D2D accounts.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    WMain00 wrote: »
    Are minstrel still awesome? I recall playing one and absolutely loving it because you could both be a helpful healer and a bitch ass fighter when soloing. Was good fun.

I have great fun with my minstrel. Great solo capability, zero downtime with that high OOC power regen and healing.

Echo on
  • Options
    pheknophekno Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Is there any particular reason why the movies/cinematics stutter?

phekno on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    I'm enjoying myself with Borderlands in the meantime.

Or you could bodyguard my warden through Lonelands so I can get that woodworking craft quest done. <_<

Ask in kinchat. ;)

I might be online later, but I doubt it.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    phekno wrote: »
    Never had that past the first second. Maybe a new problem with the patch or maybe your PC?

Aldo on
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm having a lot of fun with the new set up. I'm premium, got rid og the gold limitation and picked up two quest packs. I only need one more quest pack to have a path straight to Moria for all of my leveling needs.

I know it's a bit more expensive to do it this way, but I would rather pay the extra cash now and have it till the servers die than the alternative of losing stuff when my month runs out.

I feel like I don't have to play if I don't want, but can if I feel like it. If I have to pay a little more for the content to get that then that's ok.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    phekno wrote: »
    Never had that past the first second. Maybe a new problem with the patch or maybe your PC?

I think I used to get that on the old PC I had back during the beta.

Scooter on
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Anyone else having trouble getting the client to connect today?

Edit: There it goes.

And Landroval has a queue of 46! D:

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

what's not to get is that you can still pay to subscribe and still not have all the benefits of people who buy extras. You can flat out buy stat upgrades. That's pretty retarded. All other games with a cash store system only let you buy cosmetic things or convenience things, not things you need to stay competitive. And not only do you get nickel-and-dimed on these extras if you want to be good, but you have to spend a ton of time in the store browsing the hundreds of things available figuring out what's worth buying and what isn't.

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    what's not to get is that you can still pay to subscribe and still not have all the benefits of people who buy extras. You can flat out buy stat upgrades. That's pretty retarded. All other games with a cash store system only let you buy cosmetic things or convenience things, not things you need to stay competitive. And not only do you get nickel-and-dimed on these extras if you want to be good, but you have to spend a ton of time in the store browsing the hundreds of things available figuring out what's worth buying and what isn't.
    I hate to bring up my experience with free games, but uhm you're talking out of your ass in three ways:

1. Many, many, free MMOs have cash shop items that make you pwn (see for example: Perfect World, Sword of the New World, Lunia, Legendary Heroes)
    2. If you subscribe you get 500 store points per month, allowing you to buy stuff anyway
    3. You can also get those tomes in game.
    (bonus 3.a. +50 to one stat is not going to make you pwn, it's a very minor upgrade)

Aldo on
  • Options
    ShjadeShjade Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    what's not to get is that you can still pay to subscribe and still not have all the benefits of people who buy extras. You can flat out buy stat upgrades. That's pretty retarded.
    Hm. From an outside perspective I suppose that's true. When I saw the tomes of stat upgrades and the virtues for sale in the store my first thought was something along the lines of "Awesome!" since I have a lifetime sub so I'll be getting a point stipend periodically, but it does mean there'll be some separation from the non-store-using folks.

Then again, I'm way behind the people who've been playing forever and have their legendaries stacked with tier 6 legacies and so forth. There's always someone ahead of you. I wouldn't stress about it.

Oh, and this is the name I just registered because the TBS folks were like "you should add your PA name to your kin info" and I was all "but I don't use the PA forum" and then they started hitting me with things D:

The point is that they are mean and smell like toes.

Shjade on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    It's kinda scary how fast this thread has grown, I guess this rewrite of the OP is going to be done soon now.

Aldo on
  • Options
    ReptarReptar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So I finally decided to see what LOTRO is all about and downloaded the client off of their website last night and installed it this morning. Now that its installed it won't patch. It's in a loop, constantly 'retrying' to connect with no result.

Anyone else have this problem?

Reptar on
    Or are you waking up?
  • Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Heh, I had a Warden from one of the free trials a year or so ago and I can still play him despite not having it unlocked or whatever :^:

Mgcw on
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Mgcw wrote: »
    Heh, I had a Warden from one of the free trials a year or so ago and I can still play him despite not having it unlocked or whatever :^:

My own "premium" account is from a free trial of the Mines of Moria a while back with Rodent242. Apparently they considered it good enough that I don't think I need to buy the Mines stuff.

That $49.99 points with bonus points on top is pretty damn tempting though.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So hey, it's not dying on me anymore. I played for the better part of an hour with no crashes, no black screen of death, nothing. I'm thrilled that I can actually play LOTRO again. Now I must make it my mission to complete volume 2 (yeah right) so I can move on to the new content.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
This discussion has been closed.