As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Shores of Hazeron - It's about Spaceships!

x2yzh9x2yzh9 Registered User regular
edited December 2010 in MMO Extravaganza
I've just come across a multiplayer space game called "Shores of Hazeron".
From what I've seen it looks to be Gmod spacebuild + Spore + Noctis + Simcity.. You build an empire, design and construct spaceships and fly around and crash(spaceship crash).

I'm sure their website will do a better job at explaining:

newfergusfalls11.png
SunsetOnMokoIII.png
hazeroncity41.png

Here is a link to the manual on their website. You WILL want to read this.

One of the very few youtube vids (we should film some of our own shenanigans too):
He rides a motorbike at 1:50!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB2Iq7k3bfs
I'm in the Planepacked Empire. We're doing an operation codenamed 'Arm's Reach' tomorrow and will set off to another arm of the entire galaxy to colonize it. Going back and forth will be a big issue, since we have no idea how long the journey between arms will take. It may be days, hell, even weeks before we reach a virgin system. We're going to name it the Armok Arm, go here to see the thread
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=62633.0

it's in alpha and they're trying to kill the lag-Oh, and did I mention it's free? when you first make a character, you choose one of two types of characters, either an Emperor, who founds an empire, or a member of that empire. The empire can choose a government system out of a wide list that lets them determine how the empire works, and how government positions are assigned.

Once that's done, you either start on a virgin world, untouched by civilization, to found your empire (If you're an emperor.), or in one of the cities of that empire (If you're a member.). From there, what you want to do is up to you. Though most people seem to sign up with a spaceship capable of interstellar travel as soon as possible to see what sort of crazy stuff is out there.
rayofash wrote: »
IT'S A RING WORLD!

SeasonalRingDistant.png

Space station orbited by starships, all player designed:

Saotome8.png
RACES DESIGNED BY PLAYERS:

Bridge5.png

IT'S STAR TREK ONLINE THE WAY IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN! OMG OMG THIS IS INCREDIBLE!
You can walk around the planet and ships, and you can board other players ships and take them over.Animals are procedurally generated, and the galaxy is easily 10,000 stars big. All of them explorable. 3D Galaxy Viewer here, http://shoresofhazeron.com/empirestatusf.html
Archonex wrote: »
Found a video of a guy who modded in Descent 3's sounds to the game. It also shows the interior of a starship, along with showing a bunch of human NPC's at work on the ship and it landing on an inhabited (Stormy) planet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBrlWDQ1384&feature=related

This is another good one too. Just to see some of the stuff you can do in-game, mechanics-wise. Like sneak onto a planet, land in a small scout ship, and then take a motorcycle (Which was in your ship's hangar.) out to see what the city looks like from the surface.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB2Iq7k3bfs&feature=related
For the life of me I just cannot get a log. Man this is frustrating.

EDIT: And I can't seem to drop this rock I picked up, or anything for that matter.

EDIT2: I can't seem to make anything either. This is really weird.

EDIT3: Logging out and logging back in seemed to fix my problems.

We're 'The Fleshreapers' ingame, sans the quotes. Type it in to join.

x2yzh9 on

• Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I had seen some goons talk about this in Eve, and it certainly looks intriguing.

How awkward is the interface and such to manage? It looks like a pretty ridiculously in depth game.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    You'll have everything pretty much down on Day 3 if you read the manual-It's not even EVE level complexity.

x2yzh9 on
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Is there any interest in starting up a PA empire in this game? It seems pretty awesome.

If so, i'll set up an empire and we can work on working our way to a space age civ once the servers come back up.

Archonex on
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Downloading now!

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    IT'S A RING WORLD!

SeasonalRingDistant.png

Space station orbited by starships, all player designed:

Saotome8.png

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    RACES DESIGNED BY PLAYERS:

Bridge5.png

IT'S STAR TREK ONLINE THE WAY IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN! OMG OMG THIS IS INCREDIBLE!

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Eh, fuck it. Once the login server is back up i'll set up an empire. Either way i'd enjoy setting up an empire to [strike]CONQUER THE STARS THEMSELVES[/strike] explore the universe peacefully with.

Once it's up i'll post the info to join it, in case anyone's interested.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Holy crud you actually walk around on your ship. You can do spacewalks, and even board other players ships and take them over: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox7ecnlRU7w

Edit: This thread needs a better OP, it doesn't do the game justice at all.

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah. I noticed that in the wiki and manual. All NPC's in your empire are represented in-game, too, and you can even recruit troops to guard your empire's assets if you're part of their military/power structure (It depends on the government type.).

A few of the screenshots that pop up on refreshing their homepage show this. There's some badass looking human space marines in powered armor guarding a hangar bay.

Also, the animals in-game seem to use some sort of procedural generation to make sure they're always different on each planet. And apparently on some deathworlds, you can get skyscraper sized animals that are a serious threat to space-ships that can enter the atmosphere, even.

The game appears to be Spore, meets Civilization, meets a first person shooter, meets Mine Craft. Which is how Spore should have been, originally, instead of a crazy test bed for games like this.

To expand on the OP a bit further, when you first make a character, you choose one of two types of characters, either an Emperor, who founds an empire, or a member of that empire. The empire can choose a government system out of a wide list that lets them determine how the empire works, and how government positions are assigned.

Once that's done, you either start on a virgin world, untouched by civilization, to found your empire (If you're an emperor.), or in one of the cities of that empire (If you're a member.). From there, what you want to do is up to you. Though most people seem to sign up with a spaceship capable of interstellar travel as soon as possible to see what sort of crazy stuff is out there.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah. I noticed that in the wiki and manual. All NPC's in your empire are represented in-game, too, and you can even recruit troops to guard your empire's assets if you're part of their military/power structure (It depends on the government type.).

A few of the screenshots that pop up on refreshing their homepage show this. There's some badass looking human space marines in powered armor guarding a hangar bay.

Also, the animals in-game seem to use some sort of procedural generation to make sure they're always different on each planet. And apparently on some deathworlds, you can get skyscraper sized animals.

The game appears to be Spore, meets civilization, meets a first person shooter, meets mine craft. Which is how Spore should have been, originally, instead of a crazy test bed for games like this.

Don't forget a little Noctis. How long has this been in development? This is incredible!

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Also, the animals in-game seem to use some sort of procedural generation to make sure they're always different on each planet. And apparently on some deathworlds, you can get skyscraper sized animals.

The game appears to be Spore, meets civilization, meets a first person shooter, meets mine craft. Which is how Spore should have been, originally, instead of a crazy test bed for games like this.

Don't forget a little Noctis. How long has this been in development? This is incredible!

The website indicates that the company that made it has existed since 1995. Though apparently they make engineering software too.

Edit: Some of those high tech level ships look positively huge. Like they could staff several hundred NPC's/players, in fact. Good thing the game lets you staff and run ships with NPC's if you have the right facilities.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Holy crud 3D galaxy viewer: http://www.hazeron.com/empirestatusf.html

This is huge!

Edit: Their about page hints that they've been working on it for over 10 years.

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I just zoomed to the galactic core. I didn't realize how many stars it took to make all that light until I got close. There's easily thousands of solar systems there. All of them uncolonized, given that everyone starts on one of the arms.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I just zoomed to the galactic core. I didn't realize how many stars it took to make all that light until I got close. There's easily thousands of solar systems there. All of them uncolonized, given that everyone starts on one of the arms.

The arms are far more environmentally friendly for life to evolve so it would make sense. The core is crowded and chaotic. We personally sit on a spur of an arm.

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Server's up. Making a new empire now.

Edit: Damn, I need to name my empire. And there's no random name generator.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Server's up. Making a new empire now.

Edit: Damn, I need to name my empire. And there's no random name generator.

Well let's come up with one together. What was the name of our UO guild? Something Something Inc. It had to do with the PA game. Were you in it I don't remember? Our tavern was Strapping Lads Tavern I think. That could be the name of our planet.

Or do you want something more thematic and traditional? How about the C'thulhu mythos or maybe something based off of Celtic or Norse mythology?

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Merch Inc.?

The Free Merch Republic? Everyone else seems to be choosing spacey names. That fits. While keeping us incognito until we are ready to strike.

Edit: Also, we should choose a good government type in case this catches on. Organized Crime seems to have the highest potential for hilarious shenanigans (You gain government positions by assassinating the person above you in rank.), but it seems prone to having the government taken over by pubbies.

The ones i'd go for are Theocracy, Monarchy, Dictatorship, or Republic. They have strict systems of order that let common members have varying levels of control over who gets what leadership positions, while making sure that the empire still stays PA aligned.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Merch Inc.?

The Free Merch Republic? Everyone else seems to be choosing spacey names. That fits. While keeping us incognito until we are ready to strike.

Nah it had something to do with mischievous activity. I think our acronym was SSI.

Spacey names then? Hmm... Are we actually going to be a republic? Aren't there different forms of government?

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Merch Inc.?

Nah it had something to do with mischievous activity. I think our acronym was SSI.

Spacey names then? Hmm... Are we actually going to be a republic? Aren't there different forms of government?

There are. But for a forum Empire, it might be difficult to maintain control over some of them if we become popular enough. The democracy one looks to be particularly prone to this. If you were at war with a sneaky enough empire, they could have folks emigrate to the empire and elect in a puppet leader.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Merch Inc.?

There are. But for a forum Empire, it might be difficult to maintain control over some of them if we become popular enough.

United Federation of Planets
    United Federation of Dongs
    United Federation of Wangs
    United Federation of Gentlemen
    United Federation of Space Faring Gentlemen (The UFSFG)

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Flippity Floppity Floop

Edit: A collection of names for psychedelic fungi

Psilocybe cyanescens
    Psilocybe subaeruginascens
    Panaeolus cinctulus
    Inocybe corydalina
    Galeropsis sp.
    Gymnopilus luteofolius
    Panaeolopsis sp.
    Copelandia bispora
    Panaeolus castaneifolius
    Pluteus salicinus
    Psilocybe "cyanofriscosa"
    Psilocybe "meridianus"

Some plants:

salvia elegans
    salvia splendens
    nepeta cataria
    passiflora edulis

rayofash on
  • Options
    Best AmericaBest America __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    Theocracy! :D

I'm really interested in this, will be watching the thread closely/downloading it shortly. I play lots of space-themed 4X games, and this basically combines my favorite parts of those with ... well, everything I wanted in a game ever. D:

Best America on
    right you got it
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Actually, I really like the UFSFG. United Federation of Space Faring Gentlemen. I can't say it without laughing.

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Dictatorships are easiest, since the ruler can do everything. Also, just give me stuff for the OP and I'll add it on!

x2yzh9 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Here's a list of the government types, and what they do. The list beneath each type is the default government positions. Their names can be changed. And each one reflects a different level of power, from city administrator for a city on a planet, all the way up to sector control (Basically, you control a gigantic hunk of space, and the people within.), to Emperor.

Anarchy
    Any office is granted to anyone who requests it, including Harlequin. 15 minutes must pass before an office can be taken by someone else.

Harlequin
    Clown Prince
    Trickster
    Huckster
    Jester
    Town Clown

Democracy
    Any office can be requested by anyone. Offices are granted by winning a popular vote of all citizens.
    When the President leaves, the Vice President automatically succeeds to President.
    President
    Vice President
    Senator
    Congressman or Congresswoman
    Governor
    Mayor

Dictatorship
    Subordinate offices are assigned by any higher office. e.g. Senators can assign Governor and Prefect offices and the Emperor can assign any office. Acceptance of an office assignment is mandatory.
    The Prime Minister automatically succeeds to Emperor when the Emperor leaves.
    Emperor or Empress
    Prime Minister
    Viceroy
    Senator
    Governor
    Prefect

Military
    Offices are assigned according to individual rank. Acceptance of a position assignment is mandatory. Office assignments occur once per week on friday.

Commander
    Vice Commander
    Division Commander
    Brigade Commander
    Regiment Commander
    Company Commander

Monarchy
    Subordinate offices are offered by any higher offices, e.g. Counts may offer Marquis and Baron offices and the King may offer any office. Acceptance of an office is voluntary except succession to King.
    The Crown Prince automatically succeeds to King when the King leaves. If the King leaves when there is no Crown Prince, a new King rises up from the people.
    King or Queen
    Crown Prince or Crown Princess
    Duke or Duchess
    Count or Countess
    Marquis or Marquesa
    Baron or Baroness

Organized Crime
    Unoccupied offices are open to claim by anyone in the next lower office. e.g. An unoccupied Gang Leader office can be claimed by anyone; an unoccupied Godfather office can only be claimed by a Boss.
    Succession is achieved by assassinating a person holding the next higher office. e.g. A Boss becomes a Godfather by assassinating a Godfather. The assassinated victim respawns holding no office.
    Lord
    Vice
    Godfather
    Boss
    Enforcer
    Gang Leader

Republic
    Any office can be requested by anyone. Offices are granted by winning a vote cast among those holding the next office lower than the office sought. e.g. To become a Congressman, one must win a vote of the Governors; to become Mayor, one must win a popular vote of the citizens. Exceptions apply to the President, who is voted by the Senators, and the Vice President, who is appointed by the President. When the President leaves, the Vice President automatically succeeds to President.
    President
    Vice President
    Senator
    Congressman or Congresswoman
    Governor
    Mayor

Theocracy
    Unoccupied Deacon positions are granted to anyone who requests them. The next higher position can be requested when it becomes unoccupied. Position increases beyond Deacon are granted by winning a vote of one's peers. e.g. A Deacon must win a vote of the Deacons in order to advance to Priest.

When the Pope leaves, the Cardinal automatically succeeds to Pope.
    Pope
    Cardinal
    Arch Bishop
    Bishop
    Priest or Priestess
    Deacon or Deaconess

Looking over the list, I suggest the Republic. It'll let folks have more of a say in where they want the Empire to go. And it seems fairly balanced for us. Though, Organized Crime looks to be absolutely hilarious in effect. It works off of Klingon Promotion.

Edit: Once I get done making the empire and setting up our city, i'll type up an OP for the thread. It really needs one anyways.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    x2yzh9 wrote: »
    Dictatorships are easiest, since the ruler can do everything. Also, just give me stuff for the OP and I'll add it on!

Well add in the screen shots and videos I posted, also put them in a spoiler so that they don't crowd the page. Also mention that you can walk around the planet and ships, and you can board other players ships and take them over. Also mention the procedurally generated animals and the enormous size of the galaxy. Link to the 3D galaxy viewer.

rayofash on
  • Options
    Best AmericaBest America __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    idk how important offices are, but Monarchy seems like the best option if we want to keep a tightish lid on things since the person who founds it can never just be ousted

Republic is the best of the more "democratic" ones though, yeah, though with "anyone can request an office" it might get annoying having to constantly vote people down because they want a higher office but we have no reason to just keep promoting people over and over

Best America on
    right you got it
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I like Anarchy (except the titles), Democracy, and Republic. Since you mentioned liking the Republic let's go with that.

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Ok. For expediencies purposes, i'm moving along to the next step. We need a flag. Something that will inspire our empire's children as they grow up. To remind them that their government is watching over them, and that they will always be safe.

It has to be an image that shows other empires that we are not overtly aggressive (At least, not until we're strong enough to crush them like bugs.), so that we can live our lives in peace. Here's my suggestion:
    geeky-holiday-greeting-cards-7.jpg

(Actually. I didn't know that having a flag was mandatory for empire creation at creation, since the manual never said anything about it. So I didn't think to look one up. If you've got an idea, submit it now and i'll use it if it's good. Otherwise we can always use the merch one, I guess.)

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    idk how important offices are, but Monarchy seems like the best option if we want to keep a tightish lid on things since the person who founds it can never just be ousted

Republic is the best of the more "democratic" ones though, yeah, though with "anyone can request an office" it might get annoying having to constantly vote people down because they want a higher office but we have no reason to just keep promoting people over and over

Monarchy definitely sounds like the easiest to control.

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Crop this:

4816797822_749d7de768_z.jpg

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTaLsmKuNRA4eiKVO8-eG4DCvZ1VJQTQI7sU9DvDrUWBWIhW-I&t=1&usg=__wamA5kn5gMbirDNeqe_qacyPgDQ=

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    We'll either go Monarchy or Republic. They both have great benefits for a forum Empire. Monarchy lets us maintain strict control of the Empire, but can be prone to having it go inactive because folks in power don't show up, but Republic is set up so that there will always be an active leadership, even if the current one goes missing. I think elections occur once every two weeks or so, so that means that we won't have to vote people down constantly too.

It's a toss-up, really.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    dumbo-octopus.jpg

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    We'll either go Monarchy or Republic. They both have great benefits for a forum Empire. Monarchy lets us maintain strict control of the Empire, but can be prone to having it go inactive because folks in power don't show up, but Republic is set up so that there will always be an active leadership, even if the current one goes missing. I think elections occur once every two weeks or so, so that means that we won't have to vote people down constantly too.

It's a toss-up, really.

I didn't know elections were held on specific dates. In that case let's go Republic.

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    deep4.JPG

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    The anarchist flag:

450px-Anarchist_flag.svg.png

We can paste something onto it or maybe come up with a different color scheme or something.

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Moved on to the create a race screen for now. Holy crap, it's got alot of options.

I'll post a screenshot of it momentarily.

Edit: I made a pizza monster that may create more of it's spawn by telepathically implanting parts of itself into other creature's heads. Sort of like an Illithid, but more nightmarish, somehow, to look at it.

Also, I included the race creation menu. Beware of h-scroll.

charcreation.png

The little dots with stuff like "horn" or "tail" next to it are other menu's that let you add more features.

Since it's literally going to be impossible to design a race through the forums given all the options, just give me a general idea of what you want, human, human with some odd traits, an alien, or batshit insane monster that looks like it came out of Cthulu's worst nightmares, and i'll run with that.

Alternatively, download the client and go through and make a race yourself, then post a screenshot. If you all like the submission, i'll make that instead.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    That looks familiar but I can't remember from what.

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Hmm... How about something with red skin, kind of lizardish with horns? I'll check out the race creation screen and play around with it.

rayofash on