As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Shores of Hazeron - It's about Spaceships!

• ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Apparently, you aren't restricted to making two legged, humanoid characters, so that further complicates things.

I just made some sort of demonic caterpillar by hitting the random race button.

Edit: Doing another random race gave me a race that looked like the xenomorph from aliens. Only two stories tall, and the size of a bus.

A certain, masochistic part of me wonders how amusing it would be to start as a normal human, and see how hard it was to survive in a universe full of godzilla demoni-centipedes, and psychic Giger-esque aliens.

Edit 2: Working on making a Merch monster, since, hey, why the fuck not.

Archonex on
  • rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Made something, posting screens and will upload save file.

rayofash on
    edited September 2010
    Image:
    H8keq.jpg

I call it Nigercornunex Multifiliis. Black Horned Death with Many Children.

rayofash on
    edited September 2010
    Can't make a Merch monster, unfortunately. It doesn't have all of the parts. Upload the save and i'll take a look at it.

Archonex on
    edited September 2010
    Archonex wrote: »
    Can't make a Merch monster, unfortunately. It doesn't have all of the parts. Upload the save and i'll take a look at it.

http://filevo.com/aveg274h9ym2.html

rayofash on
    edited September 2010
    Change the leg type to pseudopod, I didn't see those options.

rayofash on
    edited September 2010
    One thing I notice about is that it might not fit into the standard size space-ship hallways. Not sure how the game handles it, but it seems like we might need to spend more resources on ships in order to boost their size to accommodate for them. It also might cut down on the crew complement in ships if that's a factor.

Most of the giant sized races don't compare well with the standard ship interiors like that, if you activate the doorway option you'll see what I mean.

If it doesn't pan out, I might make an altered human species...That irradiates everything that gets near it.

Archonex on
    edited September 2010
    One thing I notice about is that it might not fit into the standard size space-ship hallways. Not sure how the game handles it, but it seems like we might need to spend more resources on ships in order to boost their size to accommodate for them. It also might cut down on the crew complement in ships if that's a factor.

Most of the giant sized races don't compare well with the standard ship interiors like that, if you activate the doorway option you'll see what I mean.

If it doesn't pan out, I might make an altered human species...That irradiates everything that gets near it.

It might just clip the wings. You can make the wings smaller to accommodate if it's necessary.

rayofash on
    edited September 2010
    I made it smaller: http://filevo.com/i8djd53yfyi7.html

It looks a lot better smaller actually. There's also an option to adjust the overall size on the far right.

rayofash on
    edited September 2010
    Actually, it says that the hit points are invalid, too.

Archonex on
    edited September 2010
    Actually, it says that the hit points are invalid, too.

Make sure the ability points are at 0. If they're in the negative you have to subtract some, if they're in the positive you have to add some. Adjust the overall height, it messes with the stats.

rayofash on
    edited September 2010
    Right, where's the leg type option?

We can either go with the dragon bird things, or the irradiated, nightmarish humans. Because nothing screams benevolent like horribly evil looking demonic birds, or red skinned, eye-less humans with fangs that bleed lethal radiation from their very pores.

Edit: Looking at the two races, stat wise, the humans are better from what I can tell. However, they can't fly like the evil bird-things can.

Then again, late-game, we might not need wings, since you can take starships into the atmosphere.

Archonex on
    edited September 2010

We can either go with the dragon bird things, or the irradiated, nightmarish humans. Because nothing screams benevolent like horrible demonic birds, or red skinned, eye-less humans with fangs that bleed lethal radiation from their very pores.

Edit: Looking at the two races, stat wise, the humans are better from what I can tell. However, they can't fly like the evil bird-things can.

Show me a pic of the icktheosis fetalis. We might go with that simply for the better stats.

Also the leg options are right below the other options. It shows arms, legs, and then the check box for flying creatures.

Edit: GASP! Can you set the humans to fly!?

rayofash on
    edited September 2010
    rayofash wrote: »

We can either go with the dragon bird things, or the irradiated, nightmarish humans. Because nothing screams benevolent like horrible demonic birds, or red skinned, eye-less humans with fangs that bleed lethal radiation from their very pores.

Show me a pic of the icktheosis fetalis. We might go with that simply for the better stats.

Also the leg options are right below the other options. It shows arms, legs, and then the check box for flying creatures.

Edit: GASP! Can you set the humans to fly!?

You can, if you give them wings. However, that takes points away from speed (Which could be useful if we start on a planet that doubles as a deathworld, or have to set up a colony there.), and other useful stats. Same with giving them an improved jump, it lowers the total HP.

Archonex on
    edited September 2010
    Let's see a pic man.

rayofash on
    edited September 2010
    I had to redesign it. Made some changes to make it more like the imps from DOOM. It still bleeds radiation into the air, however.

demons.png

Archonex on
    edited September 2010
    Wow, it really does look like it has icktheosis fetalis. Choose whichever, I'm good with anything.

rayofash on
    edited September 2010
    Character creation is done. It just needs to let me log on, and i'll set up an empire for everyone to live in.

Just a heads up, but it seems that the developers are experiencing technical difficulties with letting people on at the moment, so i've got no ETA on when i'll be in. However, as soon as I can get in i'll find a nice place for a village, and plant a flag, letting other players join the empire.

Archonex on
    edited September 2010
    Character creation is done. It just needs to let me log on, and i'll set up an empire for everyone to live in.

Just a heads up, but it seems that the developers are experiencing technical difficulties with letting people on at the moment, so i've got no ETA on when i'll be in. However, as soon as I can get in i'll find a nice place for a village, and plant a flag, letting other players join the empire.

So you have to create a city first before I can select it in the list?

rayofash on
    edited September 2010
    rayofash wrote: »

So you have to create a city first before I can select it in the list?

According to the manual yes, but if it's any indication, that takes about two minutes to do once you've chosen a good place to set up camp at.

Archonex on
    edited September 2010
    Okay, tell me when the capitol building is up. Also, what's the name of our empire?

rayofash on
    edited September 2010
    The Free Merch Republic.

Edit: While we wait for the server to get back online (It's coming back soon, apparently.), i'll post some cool videos of the game.

Here's one of an early civilization landing on their moon. That planet you can see in the background? That's not a backdrop. He actually came from that planet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YeeSWbZRM8

That rocket you can see at the start is the first space travel vehicle available. Unlike other ships, it works off of inertia, as it doesn't have gravity controlling devices installed. What this means is that if the pilot spends alot of time making it go forward really fast, it'll take an equally long time for it to slow down.

That rocket will probably be our first ship to be made. Meaning we'll need to select an [strike]expendable[/strike] lucky player to be our empire's first astronaut. The lucky [strike]sap[/strike] winner will get to go up into space and colonize a moon orbiting the planet for the empire, and if they want, will probably get control over the colony [strike]provided he survives[/strike].

By doing so, we should get access to Eludium, which will let us make much more "modern" ships that don't work off of inertia and can travel much farther out into the solar system safely.

From there, it's a matter of playing it by ear. As i've got no idea what sort of threats to expect once we hit the space age stage.

Archonex on
    edited September 2010
    The Free Merch Republic.

Edit: While we wait for the server to get back online (It's coming back soon, apparently.), i'll post some cool videos of the game.

Here's one of an early civilization landing on their moon. That planet you can see in the background? That's not a backdrop. He actually came from that planet.

[u rl]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YeeSWbZRM8[/url]

That rocket you can see at the start is the first space travel vehicle available. Unlike other ships, it works off of inertia, as it doesn't have gravity controlling devices installed. What this means is that if the pilot spends alot of time making it go forward really fast, it'll take an equally long time for it to slow down.

That rocket will probably be our first ship to be made. Meaning we'll need to select an [strike]expendable[/strike] lucky player to be our empire's first astronaut. The lucky [strike]sap[/strike] winner will get to go up into space and colonize a moon orbiting the planet for the empire, and if they want, will probably get control over the colony [strike]provided he survives[/strike].

By doing so, we should get access to Eludium, which will let us make much more "modern" ships that don't work off of inertia and can travel much farther out into the solar system safely.

Uuugh I wanna play so badly!

Edit:

http://hazeron.wikia.com/wiki/Flag
    First, you need to kill an animal. Targoss will work just fine, and may even drop clothes for you.

Ahaha!

rayofash on
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'll give this a shot. However, I wish to express my disappointment that the race is not dickwolves.

Garthor on
    edited September 2010
    Well, knowing that, it shouldn't take long at all for me to get the flag set up, now.

Edit: Sadly, I couldn't find the option to alter the leg type. So dick wolves weren't doable.

Archonex on
    edited September 2010
    Well, knowing that, it shouldn't take long at all for me to get the flag set up, now.

Edit: Sadly, I couldn't find the option to alter the leg type. So dick wolves weren't doable.

Scroll up to your screenshot, it's right there next to Arms.

Also, all you need to do is harvest 1 log and 1 plant fiber. Killing Targoss is the long way.

Edit: http://hazeron.wikia.com/wiki/Capitol

To make a capitol building you need 1 electronic part, 1 mechanical part, 10 metal, 2 textiles, and 40 of various building supplies (I'm guessing like lumber).

To build electronic parts you need metal and plastic, I don't know how to make plastic but it should say in the construction menu.

rayofash on
    edited September 2010
    Well, the servers are up. But they're not letting anyone on. Hopefully that means that they're almost done.

In other news, if i'm right (And I could be wrong.), our species should be really good at being space pirates. An AOE radiation attack that does half as much damage as the best ranged weapon in the game means that we could dominate in small, cramped ships.

Also, according to the wiki, you can build a starship large enough to house other starships. Sort of like a super-carrier. Which would be really helpful, I imagine, if you wanted to colonize something on the other end of the galaxy, or wanted to invade someone's territory en-masse without a lot of logistical hassles.

I know what my first, personal project is going to be!

Edit: Found a video of a guy who modded in Descent 3's sounds to the game. It also shows the interior of a starship, along with showing a bunch of human NPC's at work on the ship and it landing on an inhabited (Stormy) planet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBrlWDQ1384&feature=related

This is another good one too. Just to see some of the stuff you can do in-game, mechanics-wise. Like sneak onto a planet, land in a small scout ship, and then take a motorcycle (Which was in your ship's hangar.) out to see what the city looks like from the surface.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB2Iq7k3bfs&feature=related

Archonex on
    edited September 2010
    A fleet of that ship from Star Trek invading a ring world.
    InvasionOfOthon1.png

InvasionOfOthon2.png

Guy: "gonk.gif"

rayofash on
    edited September 2010
    Haha. Holy shit. Clearly that's the mirror universe trek there.

Edit: Also, I can't help but notice that that guy staring up at the ships is naked.

Archonex on
    edited September 2010
    Captured.bmp

Wow, flags actually show up. Also, Rune!

rayofash on
    edited September 2010
    Hunting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbUOL0OpI-w

He's either really small or that thing is really big.

rayofash on
  • x2yzh9x2yzh9 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Found a video of a guy who modded in Descent 3's sounds to the game. It also shows the interior of a starship, along with showing a bunch of human NPC's at work on the ship and it landing on an inhabited (Stormy) planet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBrlWDQ1384&feature=related

This is another good one too. Just to see some of the stuff you can do in-game, mechanics-wise. Like sneak onto a planet, land in a small scout ship, and then take a motorcycle (Which was in your ship's hangar.) out to see what the city looks like from the surface.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB2Iq7k3bfs&feature=related

x2yzh9 on
    edited September 2010
    Man, that guy who recoded that hunting video has some terribly recorded videos of the game. The ones I found looked alot smoother.

Also, having seen some of the possible races made by the random race generator, I can attest to the fact that animals can get very big. Just look at this video of a human being chased by some sort of monster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmwOsF0Z7R4

Archonex on
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Man, trying to make a giant, flying head is difficult. Either the "waist height" is too low or the hit points are too high.

Garthor on
    edited September 2010
    I'm in. Had to change the name of the empire due to a bug. For some reason the server crash set us to a theocracy, and I couldn't remake the old empire name.

Working on building a flag now, i'll post the empire name and details shortly.

Edit: Our planet has a hellish red sky, two suns, one of which is partially eclipsed by a moon currently, and some ridiculously cute and nightmarish animals. There's these cute caterpillars roaming around, that are the size of a bed. And then there's this four legged, eye-less, long legged, flesh colored thing with a mouth full of teeth I keep seeing in the distance following me.

There also appears to be some sort of asteroid belt ringing the planet, though admittedly, it was rather hard for me to tell. There's something up there, though. Apparently there's a planned use for asteroid belts. So that should come in handy once they can be mined.

Edit: It appears to be down again. I may just set the colony up tomorrow.

Archonex on
    edited September 2010
    It's up.

rayofash on
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Interesting. This game has pretty much every single feature I've wanted out of a space sim and is also an mmo with civ building aspects.

Signing up like WOAH.

BlueDestiny on
    edited September 2010
    Server's still not accepting logins to the gameworld, proper. I'll try again once I wake up.

Archonex on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Man I was sad when I tried to make a race of 250 foot tall in human monsters with cloud's haircut and it didn't let me.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So how does joining an empire work? Are you able to choose from a list when you want to spawn as an individual and not an empire builder?

BlueDestiny on