As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

You havta see these! [Movie Suggestions]

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Repo's... interesting, admittedly (I have a hard time coping with the uneven quality of the songs and the irritating narrator), but if you want a gory rock opera go dig this up:
    phantom_of_the_paradise.jpg
    Did the cult goth-musical thing some years before Rocky Horror, never mind Repo, and it's a far more coherent, cleverer film than either. Possibly Brian DePalma's best film.

Yeah, this is one of my favorites too. I had to watch it again tonight since you posted on it. One of the things that really makes the film is Paul Williams. He wrote the entire soundtrack for the film and did the vocals for the Leach/Phantom character. The guy has done so much stuff musically it's crazy, everything from the soundtrack for Deep Throat to The Muppet Movie. Jessica Harper did her own vocals too, and they are really quite good.

Drake on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Isidore wrote: »
    Dare I suggest Antichrist? Actually someone might already have said it.

Dare, dare.

It's brilliant. Anyone suggesting it's just a misogynistic paean needs to go soak their head.

Atomika on
  • Options
    IsidoreIsidore Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Even if it were a misogynistic paean, I'd still suggest watching it. I'd suggest people watch Battleship Potemkin even though it's soviet propaganda.

At any rate, it's difficult to find films in Hollywood that aren't misogynistic. Might as well go for gold.

Isidore on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    facetious wrote: »
    Oh, I remembered another film I liked but I doubt many people have heard of.

Memories of Murder (English title)

It's a South Korean mystery/suspense based on a true story; set in the mid 1980s, it touches on several aspects of South Korean culture in that timeframe - most of the conflict, other than actually attempting to solve the crime, comes from the hotshot city detective who's brought in to assist to local, rural police force. Their methods are crude at best.

It's got great atmosphere that gives it an effectively creepy vibe with very few overt horror tropes, and the characters' arcs are very interesting. Also, it's very darkly humourous at points.

The director's latest, Mother, is also excellent, though you might have a hard time finding a cinema that's showing it.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It may have already been mentioned once or twice, but I'll just leave this here:

463866.1010.A.jpg

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    One more suggestion...

Punch-Drunk Love

It stars Adam Sandler. Which I'm sure would automatically turn a lot of people off.

But the thing is, it's not an Adam Sandler movie. It's emphatically a Paul Thomas Anderson film.

It's also dark, very weird, funny, and just.. well, Paul Thomas Anderson.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    At any rate, it's difficult to find films in Hollywood that aren't misogynistic. Might as well go for gold.

At least in the case of Antichrist, the actual film is about inter-gender dynamics. Misogyny, at least in this case, might be the whole point.

Sure beats the muted forms of everyday misogyny standing in for appropriate gender relations that most movies show. But then again, Hollywood is far more discriminating toward men in terms of fair characterization; oddly, no one seems to care. Not even me, particularly.

Atomika on
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just watched Black Dynamite last night (yay rhymes). It's been sitting on my Netflix instant queue for over a month now but I have so many things in my instant queue that I've been passing over it (I have almost 400 DVDs in my mail queue and around 200 in my instant queue...it's easy to miss things :D), but I fired it up last night because of this thread.

Good Lord. I can't believe I've been missing this movie. I loved Michael Jai White already, but this film just solidified my man crush even more. Go watch it immediately. NOW.

"KUNG-FU TREACHERY!"

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Tyrone Power, known for his swashbuckling adventure movies plays a man accused of murder. Based on an Agatha Christie story. Excellent stuff.

prosecution.jpg

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    What's up with Marlene Dietrich's jaw?

Isidore on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just watched Black Dynamite last night (yay rhymes). It's been sitting on my Netflix instant queue for over a month now but I have so many things in my instant queue that I've been passing over it (I have almost 400 DVDs in my mail queue and around 200 in my instant queue...it's easy to miss things :D), but I fired it up last night because of this thread.

Good Lord. I can't believe I've been missing this movie. I loved Michael Jai White already, but this film just solidified my man crush even more. Go watch it immediately. NOW.

"KUNG-FU TREACHERY!"

There's a big grindhouse/exploitation revival going on and I have to say that Black Dynamite is the one that got it right.

edit:
    I'll toss another one out here.

Pontypool
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehq2a8lum_4

One of the best and most original zombie movies that i've seen in ages. Funny, tons of tension and all around great execution.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    DanHibiki wrote: »

"KUNG-FU TREACHERY!"

There's a big grindhouse/exploitation revival going on and I have to say that Black Dynamite is the one that got it right.

edit:
    I'll toss another one out here.

Pontypool
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehq2a8lum_4

One of the best and most original zombie movies that i've seen in ages. Funny, tons of tension and all around great execution.

Speaking of good zombie movies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKI44lExWKg&feature=related

Is it bad that I prefer this over the original? Simply because of the effects and pure "Oh shit" factor. Not that I don't like the original, I just think this one is more "Horror" and less "Classic".

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    A few of my favorites:

Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFMY4jJ6SVE

A mixture of three different cultures, and it all works.
    (RZA did great music, too.)

Charade

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMkeqjacvAU

Classic film, clever beyond its years.
    I already know far too many people. I couldn't possibly meet any more until one of them dies.

Ronin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TqaVEIUw4U

Wouldn't exist without Le Samourai as a precursor, but I still love this film.

Heck, that image alone offers cast justification.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Here's a few I forgot about

Mixed reviews, but an excellent horror / slasher flick.

cinema-all-the-boys-love-mandy-lane.jpg

charliebartlett.jpg

adytum on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Anyway:
    suspiria.jpg
    Hallucinogenic 70s Italian piece, regarded by some as one of the finest horror films ever made. The dialogue and acting are all over the place, but the atmosphere and visuals are second to none.

Man, WTF are you making me watch? This shit is weird...

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Dr. Strangelove is a movie I can watch over and over, like once a week. So goddamn great.

Also an older one I just watched recently:
    anatomy-of-a-murder-2.png

I hadn't seen George C. Scott except in Dr. Strangelove, so it was interesting to see him in a serious role. Also a very interesting courtroom drama that seems pretty accurate in terms of how a lawyer goes about his job. I'm not sure of this, but it might be so old that it uses "I aint some big city lawyer.." unironically.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'd like to recommend Four Rooms if it hasn't been said already. It's a frame tale by 4 directors starring Tim Roth and it's just absurd and hilarious. Also, 2 of the directors are Robert Rodrigaz and Quentin Tarantino.

Four_rooms_ver2.jpg

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I want to watch Antichrist, but I'm a little scared to.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I want to watch Antichrist, but I'm a little scared to.

It's some scary, scary, gory shit.

I don't know if there's any good way to prepare you without spoiling the whole thing. The worst part is that there's no effort to establish anything as ghostly or supernatural; it's just people going crazy over real shit.

Atomika on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Hallucinogenic 70s Italian piece, regarded by some as one of the finest horror films ever made. The dialogue and acting are all over the place, but the atmosphere and visuals are second to none.

I did say "hallucinogenic".
    Right there.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Right there.

I love how it just says 'You have been watching Susipria', like you need a reminder after that mind fuck.

But, holy shit, the main actress is hoooootttt.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Pan's Labyrinth is among my two or three favourite films.
    It is a fantasy film, though, not a war film, just by the standard definition of fantasy rather than the orcs-and-elves one.

Pan's Labyrinth is great because it is about the horror of Fascism. The little girl escapes into her fantasy world because it is the only way she can escape. Pan represents Fascism
    he offers you everything, power, glory, eternal life. But really he has nothing for you but lies.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHEpuz_gUGM

This is the best trailer and you know it.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Clue is fantastic. Damn fine movie and the best Tim Curry performance ever.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Clue is why I am pissed at the sudden interest in making movies based on board games. Clue was fantastic but it was helped because the game itself told a story.

Battleship? Ouija? What the hell are they thinking!

Anyway, as a kid we had Clue on VHS (probably bootlegged) and I used to watch it ALL THE TIME. I can't imagine seeing it in theaters where each copy only had one of the endings.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Clue is why I am pissed at the sudden interest in making movies based on board games. Clue was fantastic but it was helped because the game itself told a story.

"And you had a letter and you had a letter and you had a letter . . . "

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    At one point I could watch Clue and speak the dialogue almost perfectly for the entire film, I watched it so much. (It was on television frequently, plus I had it on VHS, plus I just fucking loved it. Even when I didn't get half the jokes. In fact, the best part was how any time I didn't watch it for a while, the next time I watched it I'd get more jokes. Growing up!)

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I'm sure Brick got mentioned, so add my recommendation to the pile. I wrote a small schpiel on it in the chat thread and basically I think that if you don't take the movie as seriously as it takes itself, you'll enjoy it a lot more.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Right there.

I love how it just says 'You have been watching Susipria', like you need a reminder after that mind fuck.

But, holy shit, the main actress is hoooootttt.

Jessia Harper also stars in Phantom of the Paradise.

Good luck ever finding her in anything else, mind.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    children_of_men.jpg

Children of Men has only been mentioned once, but it deserves to be mentioned again. It's absolutely one of my favourite films. It's the only time I've ever been in a movie theatre literally on the edge of my seat with my jaw wide open just staring at the screen. And the atmospshere is just astoundingly perfect.

lucky_number_slevin.jpg&t=1

I also rewatched Lucky Number Slevin a few nights ago and forgot how much I liked it. The dialogue in particular is brilliant. The movie also made me really like Josh Hartnet.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm sure Brick got mentioned, so add my recommendation to the pile. I wrote a small schpiel on it in the chat thread and basically I think that if you don't take the movie as seriously as it takes itself, you'll enjoy it a lot more.

really? I think you can take it exactly that seriously and it's awesome. good concept, well executed.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Can I mention Blade Runner? Probably my favourite Hollywood film. The CG is a little dated and it suffers from the same neon-futurism that a lot of films of the era fell for but the core of the film stands up.

If anyone from the UK is reading this, Redacted is on Film4 sometime this week, I think. That's a pretty good film, one of very few movies genuinely critical of US power.

Isidore on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Can I mention Blade Runner? Probably my favourite Hollywood film. The CG is a little dated and it suffers from the same neon-futurism that a lot of films of the era fell for but the core of the film stands up.

Plus one for Blade Runner?

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    total_recall_poster.jpg

Probably tied with Commando for my favorite Arnold films (Terminator franchise excluded). I love how it is left up to you to decide if
    the whole movie is in his mind or if it really all happened

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Isn't there already a bad movies thread?

Isidore on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Total Recall is in no way a bad movie

Like, you could argue that Commando is so awesome because it's cheesy and sorta bad, but still kickass

But you can't talk about Total Recall like that

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Variable wrote: »

really? I think you can take it exactly that seriously and it's awesome. good concept, well executed.

sorry, but a 17 year old using hardboiled detective lingo while talking to the football jock? It's just too much.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

sorry, but a 17 year old using hardboiled detective lingo while talking to the football jock? It's just too much.

I didn't have a problem with it.

It's just substituting present day slang, which sucks and sounds stupid, with hardboiled slang, which is awesome and sounds cool.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Reznik wrote: »

It's just substituting present day slang, which sucks and sounds stupid, with hardboiled slang, which is awesome and sounds cool.

I can see exactly where this conversation is going

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Reznik wrote: »

I can see exactly where this conversation is going

Well like, I don't mean to be dismissive or anything. If it didn't work for you it didn't work for you and that's all right but I love that the movie played it completely straight and I love that the dialogue is how it is. It's got a certain rhythm to it and the words just sound good. It's like poetry. So when there's a line like "I've got all five senses and I slept last night. That puts me six up on the lot of you." I'm thinking 'hell yes, that is a badass line' and not 'a 17 year old would never say that'.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...