As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Halo Reach CAMPAIGN/CO-OP/FORGE thread. Metatag: A PA Reach CoOp

FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
edited September 2010 in Games and Technology
If you want to talk about versus multiplayer and things related to it, go to Badman's thread.
The Reach Campaign, Lore, and Campaign Co-Op thread
(also Forge)

Rules of Campaign Thread
* Use the spoiler tags! We have people reading this thread that have already played the game. Don't play dumb. Spoil that shit.

* What is a considered a spoiler?
- Every storyline event in the game. (duh)
- Anything that happens to a character ( for the smartasses out there)
- Campaign mission names before 9/14. Please put these behind spoilers until then, thanks!

* What is not a spoiler?
- The number of missions
- Firefight map names

* Forging discussion is in this thread, for the actual act of Forging and help with it or 'special' non-competitive maps. If you want to invite people to playtest a map, use the multiplayer thread.

* When sending a Friend Request to people, mention in text or voice (text is better) that you're from PA. You can even just type "PA". Otherwise you run a high chance of people ignoring the request or deleting it.

Credits (cR) System

Credits, or "cR", is the new experience/currency/ranking system of Reach. You've probably seen it hanging around the bottom of most Reach screenshots. cR is earned in all game modes: Campaign, Customs, Firefight, Multiplayer.. you name it. As you gain more cR, you can spend it on things like armor, effects, Firefight voices, kneepads, helmets.. the list goes on. You'll also go up in military rank as you gain CR. Spending cR does not drop your rank.

Since Trueskill ranks are no longer visible, they also no longer play into your unlockable items or rank. This means everyone will have to go up through the same ranks!

Encrypted Transmission
---FILE I/O DETECTED---
DIR 334.56/tsettings/RAMDUMP.CONF
#@)32904i.3r#@%;#AF4WETRWEFDS43t4wSS
VahavirefrjevgvatolF043vapbzvatsbeguvffcbg
---ATTEMPT STOP ESSOFORTREE---
---ATTEMPT STOP RETRY 32/3
---ATTEMPT STOP DENIED, NOBLE ACTUAL ONLINE (6/CLASSIFIED)
---STAND BY FOR TRANSMISSION

The Fairer Sex

Finally making their debut in Reach is female Spartans! Your female Spartan will show up in every game mode.

ForAllTheLadies.jpg

SomethingSpecial.jpg

Instead of just being a different voice like in Halo 3, female characters actually look female now. The female Spartan also has full voice acting in Campaign, so there's full recorded lines for both male and female players throughout the story. Huzzah!

Armor

Reach will have a plethora of armor options to choose from for your character. All armor details and options will also be reflected in campaign, so your character will be the same across all game modes. The only change is that the Flaming Helmet effect for multiplayer will be turned off for cutscenes.

2 limited you to either Spartan or Elite. 3 had Chest, Shoulders, and Helmet. Reach will have Firefight Voice, Helmet, Shoulders, Kneepads, Chest, Gender, Visor Color and a few more options they have not shown yet.

Some armor pieces will only be unlockable through combined community effort. All armor is purchased via the cR system, and only cR-bought armor counts towards 100% completion (the bonus armors do not count towards completion)

Note that none of the armor grants you any traits. It's all just for show.

More details will come as Bungie reveals them.

Abilities

Sprint - Allows a player to increase their maximum speed for a short duration. A cooldown is required before it can be used again. Sprinting into someone and meleeing them will throw them back farther.

Jetpack - It's a jetpack! What more can I say? You can either use it all up in one go for verticality or feather it to clear large gaps. Go too high though, and you'll die when you hit the ground.

Armor Lock - When activated, your spartan punches the ground and becomes invincible. And is stationary. And makes a loud sound and has a shield over him. The longer you hold the lock, the bigger your EMP blast when you come out of it.

Heal Bubble - Basically the Bubble Shield and Regen from Halo 3 combined. When activated, your spartan will drop a bubble shield that quickly heals anyone who steps inside of it. Once the haven deactivates, you can redeploy it.

Evade - aka the roll ability. Allows players to quickly dodge incoming fire and players. In the beta, you could roll 2 times before having to wait for the short cooldown. You stay in the first person view when using this.

Active Camo - A retooling of the classic cloaking ability. Activing this ability will cloak you (duh). It's drain speed increases the faster you move, and your visiblity increases the faster you move. Standing still = almost perfectly cloaked. Running = poor camo from Halo 3. As an added bonus, you'll also jam the radar of any nearby enemies and yourself. Be warned that all your fake dots will show up on the same elevation as you.

Hologram - A fake version of you, demonstrated in the Deja View video. Works by pointing at where you want it to go. When activated, your fake self will walk to that spot and stop. It appears that it can take a few hits before being destroyed.

Your available abilities are dependent on the gametype. You can only "carry" one at a time, and they are not dropped when you die, although this may be avaiable as a custom games option in retail.

Campaign

When

Halo: Reach takes place right before Halo 1. Your current Halo game timeline:

Halo Wars -> Halo: Reach -> Halo 1 -> Halo 2 -> ODST -> Halo 2 -> Halo 3

Got it?

Where

Halo: Reach takes place on the human colony planet Reach. The game's story is NOT based on the Fall of Reach book by Eric Nylund, although it will probably have references to it. You saw Reach in the opening cutscene of Halo 2 (as the Pillar of Autumn is jumping away from it), and has been referenced by both Elites and Marines in 2 and 3.

Achievements

Bungie has decided to get out ahead of the modders and Microsoft's inability to keep achievements under wraps by showing all 49 of them in icon form:
640x480.jpg

They have also revealed the names of some of them:
* A Monument to All Your Sins – Complete each Campaign Mission on Legendary – alone.
* Banshees, Fast and Low – Hijack a Banshee during the Reach Campaign.
* Yes, Sensei – Earn a First Strike Medal in a Matchmaking game.
* A New Challenger – Complete all of the Daily Challenges in a given day.
* Make It Rain – Purchase an item from the Armory that requires the rank of Lt. Colonel.

"Twenty-three of them are Campaign-specific Achievements. We set out to make sure that each Campaign mission has its own ‘special’ Achievement, like:

If They Came to Hear Me Beg – Perform an Assassination against an Elite to survive a fall that would’ve been fatal."
Retail

Editions

Legendary Edition - 150$ US

legendary_box_contents.jpg

Microsoft has claimed that they learned their lesson from Halo 3 and will only produce enough Reach Legendaries to cover preorders. If you are considering getting it, I'd at least put down the minimum reserve. You can always drop your reserve down to a different edition.

The Legendary Edition comes with all the bonus content of the Limited Edition, plus the Flaming Head armor effect for multiplayer spartans, and a statue of Noble Team made by McFarlane Toys.

Limited Edition - 80$ US

limited_box_contents.jpg

The Limited Edition is probably going to be the more popular "extras" edition for people, and there certainly is no problem with not making the jump for Legendary. Included with the Limited Edition is a book presented in the format of Dr. Halsey's journal, written via a collaboration with Bungie and Eric Nylund. It also includes an exclusive Elite Officer armor for multiplayer Elites. Other real-world items include a patch and some stickers.

Normal Edition - 60$ US

Those who don't want to spend more money on Halo than they have to don't have to miss out on bonus content. All launch day new copies in North America will include the Recon Armor! And if you preorder at Gamestop, they'll give you a belt of grenades and a blastplate for your chest. If you're not in North America, you have to preorder to get the Recon armor.

Bonuses

Still confused? Here's a matrix to inform your decisions.
armorbonusreach.png

FyreWulff on

• FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
    <<TOP SECRET>>
    THIS INFORMATION IS PROTECTED BY THE OFFICIAL SECRETS ACT OF 2550

--

TO: UNSC SPECWAR/groupTHREE/TANGOBRAVOKILO
    SUBJECT: WINTER CONTINGENCY

As of 0900 hours on August 30, 2552, the Covenant are confirmed on the surface of REACH. All UNSC personnel are to enact planetary directive 'WINTER CONTINGENCY' immediately, and begin evacuation of all major city centers, hospitals, schools and military installations. Units from the 405th, 101st, 209th and 11th ODST are being scrambled from the UNSC Aegis Fate, UNSC Pillar of Autumn, UNSC Dawn Under Heaven and UNSC Savannah.

ORDERS ARE AS FOLLOWS:
    ABOVE TOP SECRET: PRI ALPHA
    OFFICE OF NAVAL INTELLIGENCE
    WINTER CONTINGENCY DECLARATION SUPPLEMENTAL ORDERS

1. The following identified officers, Headquarters: United Nations Space Command. Reach, Epsilon Eridani System, will execute the following orders before evacuation of system according to Cole Protocol structures.
    GROUPTHREE/TANGOBRAVOKILO

ORDERS FOR FIELD AGENTS FOLLOW:

- Redact all NAV data at sites 128a-316d.
    - Defend sites, as listed:

1. 128a. CODENAME WATERFRONT
    2. 138c. CODENAME COURTYARD
    3. 298b. CODENAME OVERLOOK
    4. 284c. CODENAME BEACHHEAD
    5. 316d. CODENAME OUTPOST

//ORDERS FOR FIELD AGENTS TERMINATES

A subsection of GROUPTHREE/TANGOBRAVOKILO will be selected for EVA deployment from UNSC Savannah, to SITE 914e. CODENAME CORVETTE. This group will be notified before launch and given secondary orders.
    --

Give 'em hell, boys.
    UNSC X22-22088-05 p.1/1

FyreWulff on
  • Angel177Angel177 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    nice OP

Angel177 on
    6103544412_a48002080a.jpg
  • Noble Six ActualNoble Six Actual Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    At the risk of sounding like a certain 'rampant' (ex?)forum user;

Nothing can stop me.

Noble Six Actual on
    XBL: JerichoTwoFour / PSN: ZeroFourThree
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It seems like a lot of places are breaking the street date, it would be nice if stores started saying "welp, might as well just go ahead and sell shit", but my local gamestop, at least, has never broken a street date no matter if everyone else in the universe has.

So whats everyones plan with campaign. Legendary off the bat solo, for all the campaign achievements at once, or do it normal and work on legendary down the road?

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

edited September 2010
    It seems like a lot of places are breaking the street date, it would be nice if stores started saying "welp, might as well just go ahead and sell shit", but my local gamestop, at least, has never broken a street date no matter if everyone else in the universe has.

So whats everyones plan with campaign. Legendary off the bat solo, for all the campaign achievements at once, or do it normal and work on legendary down the road?

That's because everyone involved at Gamestop would get fired immediately.

And I plan on finishing the midnight release, co-oping my way through with a co-worker, breaking for Firefight if necessary and then jumping straight into multiplayer. I'm off work Tuesday and Wednesday.

edit: Sweet, it's there.

Noble Six Actual on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Microsoft is pretty damn strict with their embargos unsurprisingly. Normally a broken street date would allow everyone to sell it, but in my experience stores that break street dates of AAA Microsoft games get in big trouble and the embargo still isn't lifted.

As for campaign, I'll probably do it on either Normal or Heroic, that's typically how I roll with these kind of games. In the event I really enjoy the campaign (and can pull myself away from MP) I'll probably do a Legendary run with friends.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Heroic. I'm holding Legendary for pro Bee fuck around party time.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I really liked the Fall of Reach book when I read it prior to Halo 2 coming out. Halo marketing and the lore I thought was really cool but the games so far themselves played out more cartooney to me I think.

Hoping this game does a little better with it.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2010
    I usually rely on co-op for the Legendary playthrough but:
    A Monument To All Your Sins 150
    Completed every mission in Halo: Reach alone, on Legendary.

The Dude With Herpes on

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I told my brother about how they changed the Legendary achievement (do it solo) and that's going to take some work on our parts. I think the only Halo I completed solo was 1. Every other one was co-op.

So question.... Can I safely mainline energy drinks to stay awake and play?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    edited September 2010
    Nocren wrote: »
    I told my brother about how they changed the Legendary achievement (do it solo) and that's going to take some work on our parts. I think the only Halo I completed solo was 1. Every other one was co-op.

So question.... Can I safely mainline energy drinks to stay awake and play?

You can, but anytime I've ever done that I never enjoy the game as much as I would if I played it well rested and with actual energy, not crap from a drink or whatever.

But everyone is effected by that stuff differently. energy drinks make me feel like shit. They keep me awake, for the most part, but I better be doing something really fucking important to do it.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    fuccck i didn't realize it was to beat it solo. sucks so bad.
    also i was stupidly reading the comments on a review for the game and nearly got spoiled for some stuff so probably not clicking anymore links now. i've been doing so good so far... only 2 days...

Local H Jay on
  • DogEightDogEight Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, I'm not even bothering to read the reviews. I know I want it, it's paid for, and I can honestly say that from what I've personally seen so far, someone else's opinion won't change my mind. Besides, with the state of games journalism being what it is today, I prefer a simple Buy/Rent/Skip scale like Ars Technica.

DogEight on
    edited September 2010
    Thanks to the thread for reminding me to get at least one Red Bull for emergency energy Monday night.

The journal continues to be amazing, complete with a few REALLY big points about Halsey. I can't wait until everyone gets it and reads it, or I'm cleared to post the biggest stuff on the boards themselves.

Noble Six Actual on
  • SaigaSaiga Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I cannot wait for this release, any word on how big the Game Stop parties will be?

Saiga on
    28je138.png
  • LordNibblerLordNibbler Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This is the hardest fucking Halo game ever jkehrkuhhdsazguihghie

LordNibbler on
    Twitter
    PSN: JPBrowncoat Xbox: BamSaidTheLaday Also on Steam! Streaming games!
  • Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Thanks to the thread for reminding me to get at least one Red Bull for emergency energy Monday night.

The journal continues to be amazing, complete with a few REALLY big points about Halsey. I can't wait until everyone gets it and reads it, or I'm cleared to post the biggest stuff on the boards themselves.

I look forward to reading it. I'm very glad I managed to secure myself a copy of limited before they went out of stock here.

Renegade Wolf on
    edited September 2010
    It's also the best

LordNibbler on
    Twitter
    edited September 2010
    But the friendly AI is the worst

LordNibbler on
    Twitter
  • LeoniusLeonius Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Legendary is going to be a bitch to do solo. Solo legendary is not fun.

Leonius on
    steam_sig.png
  • 101101 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I couldn't even get through Halo 3 solo on Heroic (God damn Flood ship)

D:

101 on
    edited September 2010
    That's why I'm doing it now. The brand new awesome Halo gameplay almost cancels out the fucking horrrrrrible time you have trying to solo legendary.

LordNibbler on
    Twitter
  • Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    in case anyone missed it, from Jeff Gerstmann's twitter:
    Playing Reach left me equally excited for whatever Bungie's doing next and whatever 343 is doing to continue the Halo franchise.

Diablo Fett on
  • WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    blue dotting

Warcry on
  • Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You peeps and you sucking at halo :P

Dox the PI on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So freaking excited for this game.

DarkPrimus on
    edited September 2010
    I expect only a few of us will have the patience for the solo legendary achievement.

LordNibbler on
    Twitter
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I expect only a few of us will have the patience for the solo legendary achievement.

Anything worse the two's jackals?

Leitner on
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

I played Halo3 solo first run just like I'm going to with Reach. Granted it was a mission a day. How long comparable is Reach to H3?

joshgotro on
  • sPider817sPider817 Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
    The plan for me is to burn through campaign, then explore/forge until more bees finish campaign. Then we roll deep on the matchmaking.

sPider817 on
    Battlenet: s314der#1279 XBL: s314der YouTube
    Twitch Wed-Sun, 2-5pm CST
  • John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I am certainly going to try. Sounds to me like it's just not something you try to do for prolonged periods of time. Do a couple of checkpoints, play some FF/MP, eat a sandwich, do some more checkpoints.

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
    edited September 2010

I am certainly going to try. Sounds to me like it's just not something you try to do for prolonged periods of time. Do a couple of checkpoints, play some FF/MP, eat a sandwich, do some more checkpoints.

One level at a time. Checkpoint by checkpoint. Hopefully it's not Halo 2 all over again.

EvilBadman on
    edited September 2010
    There is no Flood now so surely that counts for something.

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Some people may regard that as a spoiler. I think its great but one of my friends got pretty annoyed when I "spoiled" it for him.

Renegade Wolf on
  • Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Halo 3's legendary was quite doable, so I imagine Reach won't be too bad.

Unless they do a repeat of Halo 2's first mission. That shit was ridiculous.

Delta Assault on
    edited September 2010

Some people may regard that as a spoiler. I think its great but one of my friends got pretty annoyed when I "spoiled" it for him.

It's a spoiler for anyone who doesn't know Halo cannon.

Edit: Yes, I spelled it with an extra n. Use the context of the sentence to decipher what I meant. It's a goddamn mystery only you can solve.

EvilBadman on
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Man canon.

joshgotro on
  • Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    EvilBadman wrote: »

It's a spoiler for anyone who doesn't know Halo cannon.

800px-Gauss_turret.png

What does Halo cannon have to do with anything? I mean, this cannon here from Halo... it's pretty powerful. It fires rounds really fast. But I'm not sure what it has to do with this discussion.

Delta Assault on
    edited September 2010
    Oh shut up. They're heterographs.

EvilBadman on
    edited September 2010
    Point taken :P

Spoilered my original post.