As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Opinion's on Kia's

Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
The local Kia dealer is clearing out their Kia Forte's for a smoking good price.

Anyone have any experience with them? Or Kia in general? I hear they are better then they where.

PSN: Canadian_llama
Disco11 on

• ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Id buy a Kia over an american car, now. Everything since about 2002 has been generally excellent, hyundais as well.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I wouldn't buy a Kia, but that may just be because of the reputation the brand used to have. I always thought of them as Hyundai's value line - so basically a value line for a car company that already focusses heavily on value. That said, Hyundai has started to focus on higher end cars now, and from the looks of things so has Kia. The Forte also looks alot like a Honda Civic, so it looks like a car which is quite a bit more expensive than it.

Give it a test drive, see what you think, compare it to a couple other cars in a similar price bracket (alot of companies are having their year end sale now, so you should be able to find others)

Wezoin on
  • John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
  • Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I love top gear but anything less than a sports car always get's bad marks from them.

Disco11 on
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I wouldn't buy a Kia, but that's just a matter of opinion.

ASimPerson on
  • RynaRyna Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've got the 2010 Forte Koup and its damn nice.

All the guts I need, and all the options I want.

I took all the badges off, and I get compliments on its look all the time... people think its a european car

...just look at all the reviews...

Ryna on
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I had a kia soul for a bit less than a year. I really liked it. I found the price to be very easy on me. One of the big reasons I decided to get it was it had a lot of great things that came standard (AC, heated seats, sunroof, USB drive, bluetooth cell phone connection, great sound system, etc.).

Probably one of the best features, however, was my dealership offered a walk-away plan standard. So as it turned out, when I lost my job 11 months after financing the car, I was able to return it to the dealership, and have the rest of the financing absolved with no fees.

So I would use Kia again.

Dissociater on
  • Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I drive a 2008 Kia Sportage. My wife and I love that car. We haven't had any problems with it, but we also take care of it and do regular maintenance. As soon as we pay it off we're going to trade my wife's Saturn Ion for another Kia. It's a good brand these days.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • KatoKato Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Bleh

Kato on
    Signature??
  • KatoKato Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    How are car repairs for the Kia though? Are the replacement parts prices really high compared to some more common cars? Like the American cars? If you get any work done, are you guaranteed that you will be waiting on parts to be shipped in?

Kato on
    Signature??
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I drive an Impreza. Twice I've gotten rentals and both times were Kias. First was a Kia Spectra and the second was a Kia Rondo. I can only really compare the Kias to my Subaru, which may not be a fair comparison, but the price point of the base model Impeza isn't that much higher than the cheap Kias (At least up here in Canada). I found everything about the Kias to be really plasticy and cheap. Construction of the interior felt loose. Both cars worked fine (Although the Rondo was a piece of shit in the snow) and the Spectra had a decent engine, but I would never, ever buy one. I don't think their price is low enough for the poor construction it seems they have.

Nova_C on
  • MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Here's the thing about a car like a Kia, if you've never driven something nicer, it'll be brand new with that new car smell. If you have driven something nicer, they're going to feel incredibly cheap and slow.

In that price range, I would look at a Mazda, Nissan, or Honda and probably be much happier in the end for it.

MushroomStick on
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just bought a used 03 Spectra with about 100k miles. It's not an exciting car to drive by any stretch, but as an appliance to get me to work, I have no complaints. I put over 500 miles on it in one day without any issues.

Delzhand on
  • SpazHappySpazHappy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    KIA = KILLED IN ACTION

SpazHappy on
  • TejsTejs Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Here's the thing about a car like a Kia, if you've never driven something nicer, it'll be brand new with that new car smell. If you have driven something nicer, they're going to feel incredibly cheap and slow.

In that price range, I would look at a Mazda, Nissan, or Honda and probably be much happier in the end for it.

This is so true. I believe there were even recalls about the internal electrical systems because they would short out with an alarming frequency.

My mother has a Kia Spectra. I think she likes the car, but she isn't a car person by any stretch. In addition, she was able to buy the car new for 8000 bucks. Myself, having driven "real cars", can't stand it. The seats are rediculously firm and uncomfortable, the car is slow as molasses, and the build quality is horrible. The plastic even feels cheap.

That's what you get for buying a cheap car though. You pay for quality.

Tejs on
  • 3drage3drage Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I owned a Sportage and wasn't too impressed with the quality of the car. But that was a good 10 or so years ago. I've always heard the company referred to as the car to buy when you have a poor credit history. I'd personally go with Hyundai or Honda as far as quality goes.

3drage on
    edited September 2010
    Tejs wrote: »

This is so true. I believe there were even recalls about the internal electrical systems because they would short out with an alarming frequency.

My mother has a Kia Spectra. I think she likes the car, but she isn't a car person by any stretch. In addition, she was able to buy the car new for 8000 bucks. Myself, having driven "real cars", can't stand it. The seats are rediculously firm and uncomfortable, the car is slow as molasses, and the build quality is horrible. The plastic even feels cheap.

That's what you get for buying a cheap car though. You pay for quality.

What gets me is that for what that Kia Forte would cost, you could just about get a Mazda 3 and have an infinitely better car.

MushroomStick on
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Just remember the six most important words of car-buying: Test drive test drive test drive.

Ride around in a forte a bit, then go try out a Mazda 3 and a civic, if the difference doesn't seem that big to you then go ahead and buy the forte.

Jealous Deva on
  • Cptn PantsCptn Pants Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't know much about the Kia brand myself. I know Hyundai's used to be a piece of crap, 3 of my friends had them and they all broke down (in majorly bad and expensive to fix ways) just after passing 100,000 miles. Granted these cars where all between 1999 and 2003, which was before Hyundai supposedly upped their quality.

I will say the new Kia Forte is a nice looking car with some impressive stats, but the base Coupe is $16,500 and a new Civic is $15,600. Or, if you have a few extra bucks to spend you can get yourself a base Mazda 6. Hell, you could get yourself a Ford Fiesta for under $14,000. So yeah, I'm not sure how "smoking good" the Kia dealer prices are but you can get yourself a few different new cars if you shop around.

Cptn Pants on
  • CorcoranCadetCorcoranCadet Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My best advice would be to drive and compare it to other cars. Statistics on reliability can be used to augment a decision, but you have to remember that you're going to be sitting inside the car. This may be a personal opinion, but I have never purchased a car based on reliability statistics alone. Almost all makes have vastly improved their reliability such that a new car that is properly taken car of should last a long time. The thing is, a lot of car buyers do not properly maintain their vehicles.

I would encourage you to sit in and compare it to some similarly priced vehicles from Ford or other foreign brands. Do not make the mistake of ignoring domestic automakers when their offerings have improved immensely in the past few years. Compare stats as well.

Personally, I was very disappointed with the Kia Sorento I drove at one time. Of course, it was a rental so that doesn't say much.

CorcoranCadet on
  • MoudisMoudis Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Currently own a 2001 Kia Spectra myself. On the upside, I got it for $9,000 in 2002 with about 12k miles on it. On the downside, everyone's opinions about the interior feeling cheap are about right, but that's what I paid for, so /shrug. It's gotten me from point A to point B with no complaints for almost 88k miles since I got it, and that's all I really cared about back when I got it. It's a bit sluggish, but has never broken down or given me grief on a trip, and I've done ~1k mile weekend trips in it.

Some of the above is probably irrelevant due to my car's age, but that's my experience with it so far. What maintenance work I've had done was reasonable, as well.

Really though, just take it for a test drive, see what you think.

Moudis on
    steam_sig.png
  • blakfeldblakfeld Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My girlfriend has a Kia Rio, and it seems to work pretty well. It's very reliable. Anytime I drive it, my only complaint is that it drives a little like a go-cart, but I've always driven bigger cars (I'm 6'8, so the cars I fit in tend to have bigger engines)

Other note, my Grandparents are rather well off, retired early, all that good stuff. They drive around the country all year and as such are really picky about cars. They went from a Lexus, to a Lincoln, and now they're on their third KIA because they love it so much. So (pun intended) YMMV, but I'd buy one.

blakfeld on
  • eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Half the problem with gauging the quality of Kia and Hyundai in the past is this: If someone was looking to buy a very cheap, practically disposable car, how likely were they to actually take care of it to avoid a major breakdown?

Regular maintenance with a good mechanic, IMO, is just as important as general build quality in making sure your car keeps you moving. Knowing how to check all your fluids and when you can ignore a sound and when you need to get off the road RIGHT NOW are also important things.

It's also gonna be hard finding unbiased opinions on the car, because anyone who professionally reviews cars will have gone from Kia's to Beamers. Of course the Kia will lose alot of points for not being as good as other cars these guys have driven.

However, I also believe that for half the cost of any new car a person could pick up a generally nicer used car and save the other half to address the repairs it might need over the next few years.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nova_C wrote: »
    I drive an Impreza. Twice I've gotten rentals and both times were Kias. First was a Kia Spectra and the second was a Kia Rondo. I can only really compare the Kias to my Subaru, which may not be a fair comparison, but the price point of the base model Impeza isn't that much higher than the cheap Kias (At least up here in Canada). I found everything about the Kias to be really plasticy and cheap. Construction of the interior felt loose. Both cars worked fine (Although the Rondo was a piece of shit in the snow) and the Spectra had a decent engine, but I would never, ever buy one. I don't think their price is low enough for the poor construction it seems they have.

You can get a Rio for 13.5k, taxes and freight/PDI included. The impreza base model starts at 17.5k USD (i cant get to the canadian page, but i think they start around 19k in canada). Thats a significant price difference.

The last time i was shopping for a new car, i could have gotten a leftover Rio for 8000CDN out the door. Its really really hard to beat their pricing. At the time base model civics were selling for like 22k in canada.

The warranty also beats the shit out of any other car company except maybe GM, at least here in canada. 5 year 100,000KM warranty? Honda offers 3 year 60k. Same with toyota. Subarus is fairly similar i think. But GM i think is doing 10 year 150,000 now. You can also get a Chevy Aveo for around the same price as a Rio so thats something to check out.

I mean yeah, ideally you should be buying a car with a better track record that feels better to drive, but sometimes price is a major issue. Its incredibly hard to beat hyundai and Kias pricing, other than the low end american cars, everything is going to be at least 4k dollars more, which is a lot of money when youre talking about a 8-14k dollar car.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
    edited September 2010
    No matter what you go for, make sure the dealership you plan to get warranty repairs through will get you a courtesy car. It's been a newer thing, but all dealerships at the automall I used to work at had stopped giving out courtesy cars opting instead of have only a couple courtesy cars booked far in advance and giving customers a ride to someplace reasonably close.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
    edited September 2010
    Zeon wrote: »

You can get a Rio for 13.5k, taxes and freight/PDI included. The impreza base model starts at 17.5k USD (i cant get to the canadian page, but i think they start around 19k in canada). Thats a significant price difference.

The last time i was shopping for a new car, i could have gotten a leftover Rio for 8000CDN out the door. Its really really hard to beat their pricing. At the time base model civics were selling for like 22k in canada.

The warranty also beats the shit out of any other car company except maybe GM, at least here in canada. 5 year 100,000KM warranty? Honda offers 3 year 60k. Same with toyota. Subarus is fairly similar i think. But GM i think is doing 10 year 150,000 now. You can also get a Chevy Aveo for around the same price as a Rio so thats something to check out.

I mean yeah, ideally you should be buying a car with a better track record that feels better to drive, but sometimes price is a major issue. Its incredibly hard to beat hyundai and Kias pricing, other than the low end american cars, everything is going to be at least 4k dollars more, which is a lot of money when youre talking about a 8-14k dollar car.

Aveos are horrible cars. Describing them as reliable would be an outright lie and in my personal experience, Chevy dealerships will do just about anything to get of honoring the warranties on them. I hate the Kia and think the OP should be looking at Japanese compacts, but I'd still take it over an Aveo in a heartbeat.

MushroomStick on
  • Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    They are offering me the forte base for 15k Canadian all in. Been shopping around and that's around 2-3k less then I can get a civic or The Mazda 3 and they are getting me .9 percent financing while the other two don't offer it. The fiesta is too small for me and will never buy another gm because of the horrible experianced I have had with a few of their cars. Dodge only has the calibre around that price and when I tested one it felt like it was going to fall apart. The base forte comes with iPod and Bluetooth and all the power options and fes like the best deal.

Disco11 on
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Disco11 wrote: »
    The local Kia dealer is clearing out their Kia Forte's for a smoking good price.

Anyone have any experience with them? Or Kia in general? I hear they are better then they where.

They are better reliability-wise than they were, but still not as good as the new i series Hyundais like the i30. Which are much better (from a reliability perspective also) than Hyundais of old, but not yet as good to drive as the Japanese and European cars in the same size brackets.

A Kia will not have as nice an interior or be as comfortable and fun to drive as something like a Mazda3 or Golf, but then those cars are much more expensive for a reason. If your budget tops out at a brand new Kia and you don't want to buy used, then grab that Kia and drive it pretty much trouble-free for years and years.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Subaru is 5 year, 100,000 kms powertrain, 3 year on everything else.

Anyway, the price difference is $5K between the Rio and the Impreza (15K to 20K). The thing is, I've driven their $20K Rondo. There is still no comparison. If Kia is 'getting what you pay for', then Subaru, Honda, etc is giving something away. Having been through the whole buying a new car thing twice in the past year and a half, Kias just aren't worth the price they're asking. You can get a Civic for almost the same price as a Rio.

EDIT: Civics are $16K for the base model. If your dealer is starting you out at $18K for a Civic, they're taking you for a ride.
    EDIT2: And dealerships will negotiate. It's one of the few places left where you can haggle for a way better price. I got Subaru to drop the price of the Impreza by $2K with 0.9% financing and no freight charges.

Nova_C on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

I agree with these comments. Honestly, driving a rented Kia Rondo felt like I was on a motorized rollerskate. I felt every bump and breeze. It was far and away the worst "new" car I've ever driven, which the possible exception of the Ford Taurus which is so named because it steers like a cow.

I'd rather buy a certified used two-year-old car with a manufacturer's warranty of a slightly higher quality than a lower quality new car, anyway. I don't know what your dealership is selling the Kias at, but I'd be very surprised if you can't find a 2007-2009 fully-warranted Mazda, Subaru, or Honda at a comparable price just by shopping around.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    edited September 2010
    Feral wrote: »

I agree with these comments. Honestly, driving a rented Kia Rondo felt like I was on a motorized rollerskate. I felt every bump and breeze. It was far and away the worst "new" car I've ever driven, which the possible exception of the Ford Taurus which is so named because it steers like a cow.

I'd rather buy a certified used two-year-old car with a manufacturer's warranty of a slightly higher quality than a lower quality new car, anyway. I don't know what your dealership is selling the Kias at, but I'd be very surprised if you can't find a 2007-2009 fully-warranted Mazda, Subaru, or Honda at a comparable price just by shopping around.

Limed for good advice.

MushroomStick on
  • WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Zeon wrote: »

Aveos are horrible cars. Describing them as reliable would be an outright lie and in my personal experience, Chevy dealerships will do just about anything to get of honoring the warranties on them. I hate the Kia and think the OP should be looking at Japanese compacts, but I'd still take it over an Aveo in a heartbeat.

Just wanted to mention that the warranty is actually beaten by both Hyundai and Mitsubishi (both of which offer 10year/100,000km.) The Accent/Elantra and Lancer could probably be had for near the same price (the lancer starts at $15k in Canada, so probably about $12 - 13k in the US)

Wezoin on
    edited September 2010
    It should probably be noted that all these 10 year warranties are drivetrain only. My experience with GM dealerships would suggest that have incredibly specific ideas about what that covers - I've been told that it doesn't cover fuel system or anything electrical in the past when it came up.

MushroomStick on
  • SebbieSebbie Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I drive a 2005 Kia Spectra5 and I love it. The car has given no problems since I bought it a year and a half ago. Sure the interior isn't very luxurious but the car was priced well and it does everything I need. My boss bought a Forte and he says he loves it.

I've looked at consumer reports and the Spectra is rated positively for the 2005 while the 2008 has an even better rating.

Sebbie on
    "It's funny that pirates were always going around searching for treasure, and they never realized that the real treasure was the fond memories they were creating."
  • illigillig Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If you're looking for a driving appliance, look into a base corolla or civic that has just come off lease. A new Kia will lose about 95% of its value the moment you drive it off the lot (that may be a slight exaggeration) while a Japanese import will retain crazy resale value.

illig on
    edited September 2010
    It should probably be noted that all these 10 year warranties are drivetrain only. My experience with GM dealerships would suggest that have incredibly specific ideas about what that covers - I've been told that it doesn't cover fuel system or anything electrical in the past when it came up.

Drivetrain is typically the engine and transmission only. And very basic at that, like the alternator and starter wouldn't likely be covered under drivetrain.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    illig wrote: »
    If you're looking for a driving appliance, look into a base corolla or civic that has just come off lease. A new Kia will lose about 95% of its value the moment you drive it off the lot (that may be a slight exaggeration) while a Japanese import will retain crazy resale value.

And that crazy resale value will mean you spend the same on a 2 year old car as you'd spend on a brand new car.

Anything past $10k is "a lot of money" in my book so if the OP is looking at a Kia and thinking "well, I could actually afford this car at this price, new," then yeah, Kias are fine cars. I've had a pretty strong interest in a Kia Soul because the body type isn't available in other cars (yeah, I'm going to spend an extra $10k on a Honda Element olol).

The thing is, if money is tight it might be worthwhile to just buy an older, junkier car used from Craigslist. I have driven Acuras, sat in BMWs, ridden in an S2000, and to me they're all just cars. Rented a Nissan Spectra and an Aveo hatchback. I've done 19 hour road trips (straight through in one day) in a '98 Corolla. Unless you're a fatass or absolutely need to accelerate from 20mph to 65mph in 4 seconds when entering the expressway, I haven't noticed a difference that would cause me to drop an extra ten or fifteen thousand dollars on a car. They all depreciate, they all need repairs, and you could have a Kia that lives forever or a BMW that has a fluke and is in the shop twice a year.

Do test drives, sit in the car and then do your budget. You can't really get an idea for pricing until you talk to a dealer because they will often adjust the price or offer financing -- or they won't adjust the price and they won't offer financing deals so your hopes just disappeared.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
    edited September 2010
    eternalbl wrote: »

Drivetrain is typically the engine and transmission only. And very basic at that, like the alternator and starter wouldn't likely be covered under drivetrain.

That's kind of what I was trying to say. All these manufacturers advertise these super long warranties, but if you read the fine print, they tend not to cover very much a few years in. I'd rather have a car that's not known for electrical problems than have a million year drive train warranty. (I don't personally know that Kias are known for such problems, but some of the other cars mentioned over the course of the thread are.)

MushroomStick on
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I got a 2008 Hyundai Accent after my Corolla was totaled this summer.

So far nice little car, nothing blows me away but the fit & finish is comparable or better than the '05 rolla so far, and the engine is decent as long as I'm not racing anyone (on foot).

Whatever you get, I wouldn't go older than 2008, and if you can find a certified Honda or Toyota within your price I'd go for that, but from what I've seen Hyundai has gotten better, so Kias may have as well.

MichaelLC on
  • BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Current KIA's are fine. Here in Europe they are offering them with pretty much the best warranty of all makers so they are really trying to go upmarket.

PS. I just drove a brand new Fiesta and boy was it boring, And what is the deal with the electric window buttons in the driver door being placed so far back... boring car and questionable ergonomics.

BlindZenDriver on
    Bones heal, glory is forever.