As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

You havta see these! [Movie Suggestions]

• IsidoreIsidore Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If you watch The Wire back-to-back it's like a 60-hour film. Well worth the time.

Isidore on
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Isidore wrote: »
    Dare I suggest Antichrist? Actually someone might already have said it.

Oh fuck this shit.

I will, never, ever, fucking, ever, take a girl out to the woods after watching this film. Fair well to that fantasy....

Also, all the 'Brick' haters need to shut up! That movie was brilliant.

Casually Hardcore on
  • ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If you watch The Wire back-to-back it's like a 60-hour film. Well worth the time.

I'm about to start the 2nd season. I love Netflix.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • NightshadeNightshade Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    [strike] Eternal [/strike] Sunshine [strike] of the Spotless Mind [/strike]

Nightshade on
    Your signature was too large. 500x80, please.
  • facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I forget if I already seconded Children of Men or not, but I thought it was exceptional.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • IsidoreIsidore Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I saw I Heart Huckabees last night, and it reminded me to suggest Rushmore and The Life Aquatic.

I Heart Huckabees wasn't very good though.

Isidore on
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nightshade wrote: »

If you're referring to the Danny Boyle film, I think it's fair to warn everyone that they're going to watch a film that's 2/3rds brilliant and 1/3 fucking hat-on-ass retarded.

Atomika on
    edited September 2010

If you're referring to the Danny Boyle film, I think it's fair to warn everyone that they're going to watch a film that's 2/3rds brilliant and 1/3 fucking hat-on-ass retarded.

Yeaah. But I think it balances out and is worth this disappointing ending.

Its a very quiet movie literally and metaphorically. I love that minimalist electro Boyle used (also in the "28" movies) too. And it's great that the crew are just scientists, not rockstars in space.

Nightshade on
    edited September 2010

BECAUSE the rest of the movie is so outstanding, I'll have to begrudgingly agree. I wish someone would make a cut where the last 25 minutes are selectively edited out.

Atomika on
    edited September 2010

BECAUSE the rest of the movie is so outstanding, I'll have to begrudgingly agree. I wish someone would make a cut where the last 25 minutes are selectively edited out.

So what was your problem with the ending?

Nightshade on
  • Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

that movie really dissapointed me. I was expecting a movie so bad that it woudl be hilarious, but it was actually pretty good.

Pi-r8 on
    edited September 2010

Really? You don't see the problem?
    The first 90 minutes if the film is cerebral musings on issues of humanity, mortality, duty, and loneliness. The last 20 minutes are about a giant mutant with a knife chasing people down hallways.

Atomika on
    edited September 2010

The first 90 minutes if the film is cerebral musings on issues of humanity, mortality, duty, and loneliness. The last 20 minutes are about a giant mutant with a knife chasing people down hallways.

But see? That's all life really is mayn.

Nightshade on
  • LeCausticLeCaustic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    SirUltimos wrote: »
    children_of_men.jpg

Children of Men has only been mentioned once, but it deserves to be mentioned again. It's absolutely one of my favourite films. It's the only time I've ever been in a movie theatre literally on the edge of my seat with my jaw wide open just staring at the screen. And the atmospshere is just astoundingly perfect.

I liked Children of Men the movie, but I was rather disappointed with how...differently they changed it from the book. The character was absolutely the same (Clive Owen playing a cynical dude), but it dealt more with his relationship with that rich relative of his. They had great conversations in that book. His wife was only briefly mentioned and the book was actually more focused on the relationship with him and the pregnant character. Though, to be fair, they did a better job with the ending in the movie, imo.

Anywho, I'd recommend reading the book. It's short but great. The movie was awesome, though. The whole long, extended scenes with the same camera (I don't know what you call it) was AWESOME. I didn't notice it (
    like in the car
    until near the end where I said to my self "Was that one shot? Holy shit..."

LeCaustic on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    kaustikos.png
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, I'm a big fan of long, steady shots. I noticed them right away, and was amazed.

Incidentally, my favourite Hitchcock film is Rope, partially for its use of long single-take scenes. It's basically a collection of 10-minute takes with 'hidden' cuts in between (though I find them a bit too obvious and distracting).

facetious on
    Real strong, facetious.

• ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Dare I suggest Antichrist? Actually someone might already have said it.

Oh fuck this shit.

I will, never, ever, fucking, ever, take a girl out to the woods after watching this film. Fair well to that fantasy....

Also, all the 'Brick' haters need to shut up! That movie was brilliant.

who said I hated Brick?

is criticism equal to hatred now

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Reznik wrote: »
    Reznik wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    I'm sure Brick got mentioned, so add my recommendation to the pile. I wrote a small schpiel on it in the chat thread and basically I think that if you don't take the movie as seriously as it takes itself, you'll enjoy it a lot more.

really? I think you can take it exactly that seriously and it's awesome. good concept, well executed.

sorry, but a 17 year old using hardboiled detective lingo while talking to the football jock? It's just too much.

I didn't have a problem with it.

It's just substituting present day slang, which sucks and sounds stupid, with hardboiled slang, which is awesome and sounds cool.

I can see exactly where this conversation is going

Well like, I don't mean to be dismissive or anything. If it didn't work for you it didn't work for you and that's all right but I love that the movie played it completely straight and I love that the dialogue is how it is. It's got a certain rhythm to it and the words just sound good. It's like poetry. So when there's a line like "I've got all five senses and I slept last night. That puts me six up on the lot of you." I'm thinking 'hell yes, that is a badass line' and not 'a 17 year old would never say that'.

Yeah, I don't know if playing it straight is the same as taking itself seriously. There are a lot of intentionally funny things going on in that movie and a lot of the humor comes from the tension created between hardboiled pulp and high school setting.
    But whatever, we all seem to agree that we like it even if we don't agree on why.

So the rest of you should go watch it.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Cedar BrownCedar Brown Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    facetious wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm a big fan of long, steady shots. I noticed them right away, and was amazed.

Incidentally, my favourite Hitchcock film is Rope, partially for its use of long single-take scenes. It's basically a collection of 10-minute takes with 'hidden' cuts in between (though I find them a bit too obvious and distracting).

That was a really fun movie to watch for me. It reminded me a little of those episodes of Frasier where they're hosting a party, something goes wrong and it all goes down hill as they try to hide it.

Cedar Brown on
  • Uncle_BalsamicUncle_Balsamic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    facetious wrote: »

I assume you've seen Russian Ark. That is one hell of a film, technically and otherwise.

Uncle_Balsamic on
    2LmjIWB.png
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    anyone mention Adaptation?

DanHibiki on
    edited September 2010
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    anyone mention Adaptation?

Several times. Check back a few pages.

Atomika on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    what about

Synechdoche, New York

miiiiiind fuuuuuuuck

if you liked adaptation check it out. or if you ever liked a movie.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Have you guys seen The Royal Tenenbaums? And every other Wes Anderson film while we're at it?

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
    edited September 2010
    I haven't seen his most recent one.... Mr Fox? I can't remember the full name.

but I'm a fan. I like Life Aquatic the mostest.

Variable on
    edited September 2010
    Synedoche, NY, isn't for everyone. Like most Kaufman works, it's often cold and very cerebral. I wouldn't suggest it to just anyone, but I really enjoyed it.

As far as Wes Anderson goes, he rides the line of being overly precious and risks disappearing up his own ass, not unlike many heavily-stylistic directors. Good news for him, his last film might have been his best. I hope this trend continues. If not, he'll be back in director jail, sat next to Juenet, Rodriguez, and Kevin Smith.

Atomika on
    edited September 2010
    I'd rather tell someone to watch synechdoche and not like it than not see it

but then it isn't my 2 hours

Variable on
    edited September 2010

Eh, it depends. I wouldn't tell my parents to watch it, but they get confused when the news comes on.

They thought they were up-market film connoisseurs because they saw The Blind Side.

Atomika on
    edited September 2010
    I assume you've seen Russian Ark. That is one hell of a film, technically and otherwise.

Actually, I have not! I'd only been aware of it by name, had no idea that it was filmed in a single take. That's pretty great. Gonna have to netflix it. Thanks!

facetious on
    Real strong, facetious.

• PrimesghostPrimesghost Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Things to Do in Denver When You're Dead

IMDB

Lots of fun. Christopher Walken, Andy Garcia and Doc Brown all in one flick.

Primesghost on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

The third act had a lot of problems, but the actual ending of the movie was great.

Wes Anderson movies:

Bottle Rocket was good.
    Rushmore was very good.
    The Royal Tenenbaums was wonderful and great.
    The Life Aquatic cloying and saccharine and just too long.
    The Darjeeling Limited made me think he'd lost whatever he'd had.
    Fantastic Mr. Fox was his second most watchable movie, and just what he needed to make.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • TomaToma Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Remember when Crash was a big deal? Yeah, screw that trash, and see Amores Perros instead. A bleak little foreign film with the same (but much better) plot.

Oh yeah, a bit of a warning if you don't like seeing violence to animals (especially dogs).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XToRtfQbeHg

Edit: Actually, in retrospect, the trailer makes this movie look kind of silly and over the top.

Toma on
    tomapop.gif

PSN: Toma84
  • Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I thought Shutter Island was pretty good. Made me go re-watch some of Leo's older work.

Disco11 on
    PSN: Canadian_llama
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    For all those talking about the Lives of Others might want to check out Goodbye Lenin. It's a light hearted but still a great film.

Rook on
    edited September 2010

Eh, it depends. I wouldn't tell my parents to watch it, but they get confused when the news comes on.

They thought they were up-market film connoisseurs because they saw The Blind Side.

okay. yes I wouldn't tell my parents to watch it either, I meant people who I consider 'into movies'

which isn't what I said at all! so fair enough.

Variable on
  • ShaggyShaggy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So I noticed A Tale of Two Sisters was mentioned in the OP. Is it worth watching if I've already seen the American remake? I'm assuming it has the same basic plot which I feel like would just ruin the movie for me. Normally I watch the original first, but I didn't even realize the Uninvited was a remake when I watched it.

Shaggy on
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Equilibrium. Christian Bale action movie. I can't find a trailer that doesn't spoil some of the cool scenes. It's only slightly over the top (ok, maybe more than slightly, but...), so if you like action flicks and Batman check it out.

Xeddicus on
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse. A great documentary about the making of Apocalypse Now, and how much of a clusterfuck of filming it was. It is really quite fascinating, going from a young martin sheen having a heart attack from stress, to Brando showing up weighing 300 pounds, to a hurricane destroying half of the sets, to the film helicopters being used to fight real rebels. The whole thing is fascinating.

This suggestion requires that you have seen Apocalypse Now, and if you have not seen that yet you probably should.

Follow that up with The Chaser, its on netflix instant. It is the most intense suspenseful thing i have seen since No Country For Old Men, not sure if it came out before or after that though. And dear god is the cinematography in it brilliant.

Perks of being unemployed, you can have a tv on while working on working. I have seen so many movies these past couple of months.

Barcardi on
  • Angry puppyAngry puppy __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010

The last act is not nearly as bad as you and a lot of people make it out to be. It's tonally different but still good if you take the time to think about it and what it means in comparison to the rest of the film. It's not great or even very good, but it's nowhere near an abomination or "hat-on-ass retarded". It's jolting and sudden, but it drives the message home as strong as any other ending could.

Angry puppy on
    reisdentevilafterlife1.jpg
    edited September 2010

The last act is not nearly as bad as you and a lot of people make it out to be. It's tonally different but still good if you take the time to think about it and what it means in comparison to the rest of the film. It's not great or even very good, but it's nowhere near an abomination or "hat-on-ass retarded". It's jolting and sudden, but it drives the message home as strong as any other ending could.
    What symbolism or meditation does the sudden appearance of the sunburned psychopath and his rampage through the spaceship represent?

The ending of this movie is completely out of place with the messages and themes in the rest of the film. It's like if instead of Dave going into the monolith at the end of 2001, HAL-9000 kills Dave with ninja stars.

Atomika on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Shaggy wrote: »
    So I noticed A Tale of Two Sisters was mentioned in the OP. Is it worth watching if I've already seen the American remake? I'm assuming it has the same basic plot which I feel like would just ruin the movie for me. Normally I watch the original first, but I didn't even realize the Uninvited was a remake when I watched it.

I haven't seen the remake due to word of mouth saying it was generally inferior in every way, but I believe they changed the plot.

Xagarath on