As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Galileo Was Wrong: The Hubris of Anti-Science

Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her|Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
I mean... I just... don't even... o_O D:
Galileo Was Wrong: The Church Was Right is one of the most unique and penetrating books you will ever read. Now complete in Volumes I and II, authors Robert Sungenis and Robert Bennett take you on a tour of science and history the likes of which you would have never believed possible unless it were told to you in detailed and graphic form. Has modern science led us down the primrose path and convinced us of something that they cannot prove and that is in actuality false? Were the Fathers, the Medievals, our popes and cardinals of the 17th century correct in believing that the Earth, based on a face value reading of Scripture, was standing still in the center of the universe? Come with an open mind and allow these two authors to show you facts and figures that have been hidden from the public for a very long time. This is a page turner that you will find hard to put down, once you get riveted by the astounding material these authors have assembled for you. Prepare yourself, however. Your world will be rocked, literally and figuratively. Not only will you see from Volume I how modern science has documented for us in bold fashion that the Earth is motionless in space and occupies the center of the universe (yet have done an equally remarkable job in keeping these important facts out of our educational system), you will now see in Volume II how deeply the popes of the 17th century were involved in condemning heliocentrism, guiding the process step-by-step and finally castigating it as "formally heretical." You will also see how effusive is the data in Scripture that teaches a geocentric universe in the most detailed exegesis of Holy Writ ever presented to the public on this topic. Lastly, Volume II offers detailed and comprehensive documentation of the consensus of the Church Fathers and Medieval theologians on geocentrism. It also covers all the statements and teachings of modern popes and councils, such as Gregory XVI, Benedict XIV, Pius VII, Leo XIII, Benedict XV, The Council of Trent, Vatican I, Vatican II, and a special section on John Paul II in his re-examination of the Galileo case. These are facts and analyses that every Catholic should avail himself. The most important thing you will receive from this astounding study is a very close relationship with God. For once you see that God, his Church, and Holy Scripture have given us the unadulterated truth, proven by modern science itself, you will have no choice but to put yourself completely in His trust and care for everything else in your life.

http://www.galileowaswrong.com/galileowaswrong/

How can these people even claim to have PhD's? Are these people also creationists? It's like going after Darwin when Darwin knew nothing of DNA. o_O

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
Zilla360 on

• Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    well this is GREAT! I can just take random parts of scripture, interpret and reinterpret it in ways that the writers could never have intended or understood, and its absolute truth!

This is so much more comforting, whatever I believe is right and everyone else is wrong.

Edit: The earth is flat and hurricanes are cased by sea monsters will be my new book

Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • NoughtNought Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The earth is flat and hurricanes are cased by sea monsters will be my new book

This is what I have been saying for years! Thank Odin I finally have someone to talk to.

Nought on
    On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I am completely confused at how this book was even accepted into print by any publisher, unless it was self-published. How...

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
    edited September 2010
    Well if someone has a masters degree in theology that's like the exact same thing as a phd in the physical sciences and should be implied as being so.

Also remember, there is a big conspiracy of people trying to lie to you and hiding all this information that I can get for you. If your doubting me you've just been duped by this conspiracy. Your believing things for no rational reason, like blind faith you heretic.

Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This site is actually very informative on the belief.

http://geocentricity.com/

The motivation boils down to 'the Bible cannot be imperfect. If one part of the Bible is wrong, the whole thing is wrong.'

emnmnme on
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nought wrote: »

This is what I have been saying for years! Thank Odin I finally have someone to talk to.

Whats even better? Anthony Hopkins playing Odin in the 2011 Thor movie.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't even... like, did they not know we have spaceships? We have spaceships now! If you look at a video of footage obtained from our handy spaceships, you can see that the fundamental assertion of their book is wrong. Like completely, totally, egregiously wrong.

silence1186 on
  • EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ugh. Just disregarding the contents, look at the cover of that book. Who gets paid to design shit like that? Who PAYS them?

If that cover was a web-page, the text would all flash and it would be playing a .MIDI file.

Ego on
    Erik
    edited September 2010
    I don't even... like, did they not know we have spaceships? We have spaceships now! If you look at a video of footage obtained from our handy spaceships, you can see that the fundamental assertion of their book is wrong. Like completely, totally, egregiously wrong.

Those are lies from the conspiracy, the moon landing never happened, they are hiding the photos that prove a geocentric universe, if you are doubting this book you are doubting the word of god and want people to be miserable and go to hell.

Void Slayer on
  • YogoYogo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    you will have no choice but to put yourself completely in His trust and care for everything else in your life.

I better not read this book because then I will have no other choice than to convert to Catholicism!

It's like Scientology, but worse! D:

Yogo on
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I want to see someone present this at their conference. They'd say we never went to the moon, and I'd have an aneurysm right there whilst singing this. :x

Zilla360 on
  • nstfnstf __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010

I don't think the vikings actually thought the earth was flat. For all the BS they believed, they weren't complete morons.

nstf on
    edited September 2010

When astronauts are making their records, Satan, the Great Deceiver, temporarily bends the light to create the illusion that the earth is moving. Satan uses demonic powers to trick mankind and discredit the Bible.

emnmnme on
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ego wrote: »
    If that cover was a web-page, the text would all flash and it would be playing a .MIDI file.
    Timecube. Timecube. TIIIMECUBE!

Zilla360 on
  • His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well, the Earth is motionless.

...in particular frames of reference.

His Corkiness on
  • NoughtNought Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    nstf wrote: »

I don't think the vikings actually thought the earth was flat. For all the BS they believed, they weren't complete morons.

I know. Like the greeks, the vikings knew the earth was round. I just though it would be totally ironic and stuff.

Nought on
    On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Man, Columbus's trouble convincing people wasn't that he thought the Earth was round it was that he thought it was like a third of the size it actually was (and the greeks proved it to be).

Columbus was a lucky idiot and the whole tale of daring visionary is so much misinformation because it makes a simpler story.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    How can they call themselves Catholics when they are, quite literally, going against church teachings? I mean I don't expect the church to stop them or anything, but the church accepted heliocentrism and the fundamental correctness of the scientific method quite officially.

Regina Fong on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Galileo and the Church were both wrong. Neither the sun nor the Earth is at the center of the universe.

Couscous on
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I am now in the mood to personally check the credentials of all the alleged PhD scientists whose reviews they quote on the website.

However, it is quite late. Maybe tomorrow.

BobCesca on
  • nstfnstf __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    Man, Columbus's trouble convincing people wasn't that he thought the Earth was round it was that he thought it was like a third of the size it actually was (and the greeks proved it to be).

Columbus was a lucky idiot and the whole tale of daring visionary is so much misinformation because it makes a simpler story.

It's also even more comical because the norse found America how many decades before :lol:

It's not like it wasn't known that America existed.

nstf on
    edited September 2010
    How can they call themselves Catholics when they are, quite literally, going against church teachings? I mean I don't expect the church to stop them or anything, but the church accepted heliocentrism and the fundamental correctness of the scientific method quite officially.
    Exactly. Thomas Aquinas.

Zilla360 on
  • JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    How can they call themselves Catholics when they are, quite literally, going against church teachings?

Which good catholic doesn't go against the church teachings?

Julius on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    nstf wrote: »

I know. Like the greeks, the vikings knew the earth was round. I just though it would be totally ironic and stuff.

Well I know what I'm preaching!

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

You're such a heretic! earth is Yggdrasil

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    How many of their "historical facts" about the Catholic Church do you guys reckon are either entirely made up or heavily misquoted?

I mean, if the anti-evolution freaks can just invent a death-bed recantation (and further act as if that would make any difference whatsoever to the case presented) why can't these guys?

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    edited September 2010

You're such a heretic! earth is Yggdrasil

That sounds suspiciously like squirrel talk to me. I don't trust squirrels, zombiemambo ... if that is your real name.

*loads shotgun*

emnmnme on
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Things like this make me sad, because there are a multitude of people out there when confronted with this bullcrap will go "Well, let's see, you have a good point, but..." when the proper response is "I'm sorry, you're either stupid or willfully ignorant."

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
    edited September 2010
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Things like this make me sad, because there are a multitude of people out there when confronted with this bullcrap will go "Well, let's see, you have a good point, but..." when the proper response is "I'm sorry, you're either stupid or willfully ignorant."

Were you in orbit watching the earth move!? Were you there!? No, you weren't, you're just blindly following your textbooks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1msS71xL00

*skip to 21:00*

emnmnme on
  • nescientistnescientist Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    He's wearing a lab coat, so he clearly knows what he's talking about.

nescientist on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    turtle.gif

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That is pure excellence.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Cantido wrote: »
    turtle.gif

Oh God, I want that on a shirt.

<looks at the image link text> I can get it on a shirt!!! GLEEE!!!!!

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • MarsMars Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well, I mean, hey, it's all relative, man.

As for that video, I only watched 2 minutes of it, but I can confidently say I know the best part of it.

"From where, they don't know, it[earth] collected water..."

Yes, Chemist John Whatsyerface, who knows how a chemical made of the most common element in the universe and the third most common element in the universe ended up on our planet?

Mars on
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    He's wearing a lab coat, so he clearly knows what he's talking about.

I had the same thought.

Regina Fong on
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »

The motivation boils down to 'the Bible cannot be imperfect. If one part of the Bible is wrong, the whole thing is wrong.'

But there are several parts that contradict each other. If the entirety of the Bible is correct, then that leads to all sorts of paradoxes.

Premier kakos on
    edited September 2010

But there are several parts that contradict each other. If the entirety of the Bible is correct, then that leads to all sorts of paradoxes.

Do tell! What sorts of paradoxes should we be looking for?

emnmnme on
  • FeatherBladeFeatherBlade Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Do tell! What sorts of paradoxes should we be looking for?

>_<#

What I don't understand is how they can claim that the Bible supports geocentricity.

Maybe, maybe if you're looking at the one verse that says "Heaven is God's throne, and the earth is His footstool", and you think, "Well, the footstool is pretty close to the center of a room, therefore everything revolves around it, so if the earth is God's footstool that must mean it's pretty close to the center of everything so, the earth is the center of the universe!!"

But that's just bad logic.

Screw the science, geocentricity is bad theology.

FeatherBlade on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »
    turtle.gif

Oh God, I want that on a shirt.

<looks at the image link text> I can get it on a shirt!!! GLEEE!!!!!

It's a sea-turtle people! GOD, THE IGNORANCE!

(It's heresy to suggest it's a tortoise.)

Julius on
  • devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The Church is pretty officially not on the side of geocentrism anymore if the priests that taught at my high school are to be believed. The problem with Intelligent Design and Geocentrism is that there are a couple of people that are PhDs in biology or astronomy that will back this stuff, and the average person won't have the same background they do, so they'll be unable to thoroughly disprove what these people say. Most of it is based around the principle that people are lazy and the people educated in the field do not view engaging these people as a useful way to spend their time.

For example, they were trying to show carbon dating was ineffective at dating because it showed some snails as being a thousand years old. What they don't say is that it is easily explainable by the water the snails used to build their shells was in a stream surrounded by limestone.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise