As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[LOTRO] Next patch: Minstrels ascend to Godhood.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2010
    So, bags. The list says VIP accounts get 3 bags, can buy more.

I have five bags now. Will they take shit away?

edit: wait, it does say 5 bags. Could have sworn I read 3. Never mind.

Echo on
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    So, I rolled up a human captain on my free trial and he seems fun so far. I've heard that captains are kind of gimp though? Is the class actually bad or was the guy I was talking to being overly negative?

If I didn't have access to the Moria classes I'd still be playing my Captian pretty exclusively. Maybe, him being only just shy of 30 is clouding my judgement but I've had a lot of fun with him up to that point. He's a multi-tool class but if you like supporting your fellows and such he's pretty great.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    YogoYogo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Anyone know of a server which doesn't have a queue? I'm just trying the game out and don't mind less company.

I believe I am on the American servers.

Yogo on
  • Options
    Pajama_ManPajama_Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    So, bags. The list says VIP accounts get 3 bags, can buy more.

I have five bags now. Will they take shit away?

edit: wait, it does say 5 bags. Could have sworn I read 3. Never mind.

You will always have your five bags and traits slot for any chars you created prior or during VIP. Only chars created out of VIP will be restricted to 3 bags. If you choose to later resubscribed and become a VIP again, the 3 bag char will then gain access to 2 additional bags forever (even when no longer VIP).

Pajama_Man on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Is there a storage vault or something I can put stuff in that I don't want to carry around? I have a few things I plan on using when I hit a higher level so I don't want sell them but I also don't want to have them take up space in my bags.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Lord Jezo wrote: »
    Is there a storage vault or something I can put stuff in that I don't want to carry around? I have a few things I plan on using when I hit a higher level so I don't want sell them but I also don't want to have them take up space in my bags.

There's a 30 slot bank available in capitals (and maybe major cities?) and a shared bank that you can buy with turbine points.

iguanacus on
  • Options
    kyleh613kyleh613 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm a V.I.P. and I have a 151 minute wait in the login queue. I hope everyone ahead of me is a V.I.P. too. :/

kyleh613 on
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I will say this regarding all this new shit: dynamic layering is retarded. It's like they went out of their way to de-emphasize the second "M" in MMO. Mobs and nodes are both dynamic, which makes for some pretty freaking annoying occurances. That, and interrupting my gameplay with a loading screen is pretty inexcusable when I'm neither zoning nor logging out.

Other than that, I really like the idea of the storefront, but I'll echo the sentiment that everything is badly overpriced.

Had some pretty fun times running Mirror Halls with Jaggy and Rav last night, except for when the servers crapped out on us like three times throughout. :D

Edit: Holy shit. 550 people in queue in front of me. I, uh...don't suppose they're all VIP's...maybe?

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    Is it possible to get into the free play with your old account if it never played lotro? Trying to use the same account I used for DDO but the only way I can find to get a key to get in, is to make a new account.

Morkath on
  • Options
    JohanFlickJohanFlick Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yay, I hit 65 on my Minstrel today, now to begin the Legendary chase... *cry*

Hope for crit Identify for 3+ Legacies
    Then hope for them to be 3 useful legacies, or at least 2 very good ones
    Then hope and pray for 3 good legacies on reforges.

I know that I showed my new weapon to everyone in the kin, but since I got EXTREAMLY lucky with it, I'll talk about it some more..... 8-)

I started by, making a list with legacies I'd like to have on my dps weapon, for Moors and solo play. Bought symbol from the AH and got a new 65 2nd age mace made. Applied some ixp runes on it, and by the time the mace got to level 70, I had a weapon with top 5 legacies from my list! It is exactly what I wanted, and there is no legacy I'd like to swap. It's just perfect.

I also spent 12K mark on scrolls of empowerment to get the legacies to tier 7, and now I have like 100 marks left, but it is so worth it.

JohanFlick on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I have no idea how those weapons work (nor will I for a ton of levels), but I've seen some really interesting weapons linked in /k.

Echo on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    so i installed this last night, tried using my computer for unrelated stuff today and found out that pando media booster, which apparently installed with it, was using my connection at full speed to do something, who knows what, and had d/led and uploaded a combined 50-ish gigs since last night..which puts me dangerously close to my bandwidth cap for the month..wtf turbine, wtf

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    CobellCobell Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    so i installed this last night, tried using my computer for unrelated stuff today and found out that pando media booster, which apparently installed with it, was using my connection at full speed to do something, who knows what, and had d/led and uploaded a combined 50-ish gigs since last night..which puts me dangerously close to my bandwidth cap for the month..wtf turbine, wtf

The installer is some peer-to-peer program. That's why it's taking up so much bandwidth. It's not just downloading the game, but uploading the parts you've got to other people.

Cobell on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Cobell wrote: »

The installer is some peer-to-peer program. That's why it's taking up so much bandwidth. It's not just downloading the game, but uploading the parts you've got to other people.

still, uploading/downloading 50+ gigs of stuff, in one night, without telling me its going to be doing it, is some serious bullshit, lots of people (including me) have bandwidth caps and this is insane.

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Thanks for reminding me about that PMB crap. Had it running here, uninstalling now.

So, I just joined the Woodworker's Crafting Guild. Anything special to keep in mind about making the rep items?

Echo on
  • Options
    CobellCobell Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

still, uploading/downloading 50+ gigs of stuff, in one night, without telling me its going to be doing it, is some serious bullshit, lots of people (including me) have bandwidth caps and this is insane.

Did you just click through the warning text when you launched the launcher; I think it does tell you when you first try to run it.

Cobell on
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Astale wrote: »
    Oh, Moria weapons question: This isn't something I have to worry about at the beginning of the game, is it? I'm assuming it's just for certain weapons found in Moria itself? I ask because the whole 'weapons that grow with you' sounds suspiciously like I am supposed to get a weapon early on and keep it or something.

The Moria weapons are not available until you have done the Volume 2 Book 1 quests, these are level 50 quests and are not even available until level 45.
    So, I rolled up a human captain on my free trial and he seems fun so far. I've heard that captains are kind of gimp though? Is the class actually bad or was the guy I was talking to being overly negative?

Captains excel at curing Fear debuffs, and have an in-Combat Rez (Minstrels can rez in combat as well, but only if they trait a specific way). Beyond that Captains round out a balanced group very nicely with their buffs. The biggest downside to Captains is that they require a group to play to their fullest, since none of their abilities or buffs make them very strong when solo.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Did you just click through the warning text when you launched the launcher; I think it does tell you when you first try to run it.
    It tells you you'll be in a peer to peer network and shareing files, but to me that != "we will max out your bandwidth 24/7 once installed unless you have your firewall setup to block it, with no visual indication we are doing so" i mean it doesn't just transfer when you have the game running, it goes all the time, and the only way to stop it is to kill the process, hell, the only way to tell it's doing it is to go into the performance monitor and search for what process is using 2 MB/s of traffic

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    dojangodojango Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Astale wrote: »
    Oh, Moria weapons question: This isn't something I have to worry about at the beginning of the game, is it? I'm assuming it's just for certain weapons found in Moria itself? I ask because the whole 'weapons that grow with you' sounds suspiciously like I am supposed to get a weapon early on and keep it or something.

The Moria weapons are not available until you have done the Volume 2 Book 1 quests, these are level 50 quests and are not even available until level 45.

Captains excel at curing Fear debuffs, and have an in-Combat Rez (Minstrels can rez in combat as well, but only if they trait a specific way). Beyond that Captains round out a balanced group very nicely with their buffs. The biggest downside to Captains is that they require a group to play to their fullest, since none of their abilities or buffs make them very strong when solo.

yeah, captains are have slightly more survivabilty than champions, and slightly more dps than wardens, and can heal slightly better than a lore-master. I don't know; there was a lot of complaining about captain mechanics the last time i was playing 3 or 4 months ago. What we all agreed on was that captains were great to have in your group, but playing them was kind of annoying.

I read in the patch notes that they were tinkering with some of the captains skills, so it might be easier/more fun to play. I should dig up my 60 captain and see.

dojango on
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That was a productive weekend. Almost drained the Shire of deeds and got my two feather Sheriff's Cap. I think I only need to kill Bog Slugs, Finish the mail quests and do the pies to be done completely with the shire.

I might skip the pies.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, thats the thing though, they have MUCH LESS DPS than Champs, survivability than Wardens, and CC than Loremasters.

Captains assist other players but not themselves. If they ever make the Herald strong enough that Captain support would matter it would be great, but until then, the Captain will always be subpar at soloing.

The Captains main support seems to be the passive crit buff for everyone, 15% healing return on damage to target, and 10-15% faster attacks. Then the Fear removal and some power restore and minor healing when they are traited and legacied up for it.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

It tells you you'll be in a peer to peer network and shareing files, but to me that != "we will max out your bandwidth 24/7 once installed unless you have your firewall setup to block it, with no visual indication we are doing so" i mean it doesn't just transfer when you have the game running, it goes all the time, and the only way to stop it is to kill the process, hell, the only way to tell it's doing it is to go into the performance monitor and search for what process is using 2 MB/s of traffic

Go to your add/remove programs (or programs and features or whatever it is in your version of windows) and uninstall Pando Media Booster.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Triple B wrote: »
    I will say this regarding all this new shit: dynamic layering is retarded. It's like they went out of their way to de-emphasize the second "M" in MMO. Mobs and nodes are both dynamic, which makes for some pretty freaking annoying occurances. That, and interrupting my gameplay with a loading screen is pretty inexcusable when I'm neither zoning nor logging out.
    This happens? I've not seen this. Not once have I ever seen a load screen when I wasn't zoning. I haven't had anything annoying happen regarding the layering stuff at all. Maybe it's different if you're not doing the VIP thing? I dunno.

For me it's been entirely like LOTRO has always played, except sometimes there's a little icon on the right side of my screen. And it seems like maybe I see slightly fewer people around due to layering, but that might be because people aren't doing all that much where I am in enedwaith right now.

I will say that they've de-emphasized the multiplayer part somewhat in this update, because the new zone is ALMOST ENTIRELY SOLO MISSIONS. There is literally only one quest chain that gives you small fellowship missions. Turns out there are like 8 of them and they're repeatable, but still. Everything is about soloing and doing quest chains that bring you in and out of solo instances ALL THE TIME. Not even just the epic story where you'd expect it, but there are smaller storyline quest chains all over the damn place, which lead to you meeting different folks and going into instances to do stuff and so forth and so on. Seems like every thirty minutes you're talking to an NPC who's giving you a "travel now" prompt to go somewhere and do something cool.

Maybe that's why I haven't gotten any layering loads. I'm going in and out of places on a regular basis.
    JUST ASK YO MOMMA, OH!

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    i'm going to see if i have time to play this now that its free, i got the moria expansion.

i had a 21 ish warden, 18 burgler, and a lore-master in the low teens. if i can play i wanted to go the lore-master route. are they useful? i don't remember what server i am on, i'll check once i get the install finished.

Feldorn on
  • Options
    Saint JusticeSaint Justice Mercenary Mah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    About to log in and see if any PA folks are around that can invite me to the kinship. I have a lvl 6 human champion named Meddwig.

Saint Justice on
    Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul. ~ Tycho
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Htown wrote: »
    This happens? I've not seen this. Not once have I ever seen a load screen when I wasn't zoning. I haven't had anything annoying happen regarding the layering stuff at all. Maybe it's different if you're not doing the VIP thing? I dunno.

For me it's been entirely like LOTRO has always played, except sometimes there's a little icon on the right side of my screen. And it seems like maybe I see slightly fewer people around due to layering, but that might be because people aren't doing all that much where I am in enedwaith right now.

I got a loading scree when riding into Bree, never happened before. Otherwise the layering doesn't bother me.

Hj, we need to get your VolII quest done next week. Maybe servers will be more stable this time. Saturday run was awful, the stupid mirror instance is bad enough without server farting and lagging every 5 minutes.

JohanFlick on
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    JohanFlick wrote: »

I got a loading scree when riding into Bree, never happened before. Otherwise the layering doesn't bother me.

Hj, we need to get your VolII quest done next week. Maybe servers will be more stable this time. Saturday run was awful, the stupid mirror instance is bad enough without server farting and lagging every 5 minutes.

Yeah, at some point I'm sure I'll be on again during the week. We've got Reach launching in 24 hours though, so it's going to be a complete goatfuck of a week at GameStop. Here's hoping I can find time to play LOTRO before long.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    omega71omega71 Too old for a title, too ornery to care. Sacramento, CaliRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I rolled a Minstrel, its really fun, but I have a question.

I am not quite a healer type of person, but I like the class itself with the whole lute thing, is Minstrel a viable dps class as well, or am I going to have to buck up and specifically become heals when the time comes?

Thanks in advance.

omega71 on
  • Options
    Best AmericaBest America __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    The layering thing is weird, because like others have said, I've never gotten a loading screen. Meanwhile, people I play with are plagued with them, when we're both in the same areas, doing the same things ... but I've also noticed during the really bad lag spikes, some people time out but I have yet to be disconnected or knocked off a single time, so I dunno. Maybe my connection just has a higher tolerance for whatever nasty shit is going on, or whatever.

Me and my kin all bought houses in the same neighborhood tonight, is good times! :) I don't really understand the implications of this, though, as the housing system was introduced after I quit playing. :P I'll have to look it up tomorrow!

Best America on
    right you got it
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    hmm.

So me and my bf are standing by the same grocer in Thorim's Hall/Camp/Palace of Magical Fucking and we can't see each other, even though we're on the same server.

Any idea why? We just want to kill cave-fangs or whatever they are together.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    are there different channels? maybe it's that layering thing.

some MMO's made different instances (basically) of highly populated areas so that it doesn't get too overpopulated, hence, channels. not sure if this is the case though. last install failed so i'm trying again.

Feldorn on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    omega71 wrote: »

I am not quite a healer type of person, but I like the class itself with the whole lute thing, is Minstrel a viable dps class as well, or am I going to have to buck up and specifically become heals when the time comes?

Thanks in advance.

You are a healer. Minstrels have very good burst DPS, and good AOE DPS, they are pretty good at kiting mobs as well. However, when DPSing, you use power like no other class. In raids, during prolonged fights, there is no way to get enough power for minnie to be a viable DPS. Also, you lose 30-80% of your healing power while in DPS stance.
    I got to DPS in a raid only once, in some random Turtle fight (12 people raid). I was the third minnie, and got to do some DPS. I run out of power about half way through the fight, so I just cast my ultimate group heal (Fellowship Heart) and started to hit the Turtle with my autoattack. Didn't have enough power to do much more.

However, for solo playing your DPS is great. Also, minnie are fun to play in the Moors thanks to the high burst damage, especially if you get some crits.

If you want DPS/healer, try Runekeeper. They can fulfill both roles pretty well.

JohanFlick on
  • Options
    VrayVray Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Arivia wrote: »
    hmm.

So me and my bf are standing by the same grocer in Thorim's Hall/Camp/Palace of Magical Fucking and we can't see each other, even though we're on the same server.

If it's the layering that's causing this you just have to click on the icon on the bottom right while in a fellowship together.

Vray on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I will say that they've de-emphasized the multiplayer part somewhat in this update, because the new zone is ALMOST ENTIRELY SOLO MISSIONS. There is literally only one quest chain that gives you small fellowship missions. Turns out there are like 8 of them and they're repeatable, but still. Everything is about soloing and doing quest chains that bring you in and out of solo instances ALL THE TIME. Not even just the epic story where you'd expect it, but there are smaller storyline quest chains all over the damn place, which lead to you meeting different folks and going into instances to do stuff and so forth and so on. Seems like every thirty minutes you're talking to an NPC who's giving you a "travel now" prompt to go somewhere and do something cool.

Maybe that's why I haven't gotten any layering loads. I'm going in and out of places on a regular basis.
    JUST ASK YO MOMMA, OH!
    Man, is this gonna be like bk1 and you can complete the whole book in a 2 hours.

Aldo on
  • Options
    BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hey guys, I just reinstalled Lotro a few days ago after I heard about it becoming free-ish. If at all possible I'd like to join the PA kin. Quick question though, are you guys in need of any class/crafting prof? I've played every class and had a couple of 60's back when I used to play all the time (capt and warden I believe) so I have no problem just picking up any class for the kin.

BradicusMaximus on
  • Options
    omega71omega71 Too old for a title, too ornery to care. Sacramento, CaliRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    JohanFlick wrote: »

Thanks in advance.

You are a healer. Minstrels have very good burst DPS, and good AOE DPS, they are pretty good at kiting mobs as well. However, when DPSing, you use power like no other class. In raids, during prolonged fights, there is no way to get enough power for minnie to be a viable DPS. Also, you lose 30-80% of your healing power while in DPS stance.
    I got to DPS in a raid only once, in some random Turtle fight (12 people raid). I was the third minnie, and got to do some DPS. I run out of power about half way through the fight, so I just cast my ultimate group heal (Fellowship Heart) and started to hit the Turtle with my autoattack. Didn't have enough power to do much more.

However, for solo playing your DPS is great. Also, minnie are fun to play in the Moors thanks to the high burst damage, especially if you get some crits.

If you want DPS/healer, try Runekeeper. They can fulfill both roles pretty well.

Awesome thanks..So far I am loving the whole burst damage thing while soloing, but I can start to figure out my heals pretty easily if needed..

omega71 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    So far I am loving the whole burst damage thing while soloing, but I can start to figure out my heals pretty easily if needed..

Healing as a minstrel is quite easy. Most of the time you just spam Bolster Courage. Mix in your group heal from time to time. If there is some spike in damage, use your instant heal (no casting) which you should get in later levels. That is what you do 80% of time. After level 45 you will get an awesome group heal, which has 25 minutes cooldown, but can keep your group alive for 30s. If the group wipes, blame the hunter. 90% of time it is the hunter's fault.

The main problem with the minnie is that you can't heal while moving. So if the fight requires movement and positioning, you can have some problems. Also, if you get adds hitting on you, you will have a hard time getting an induction off. That is why I like running with captains. Awesome off-tanks who can get adds off you very easily. Add they have a very good group heal, which helps if everyone is getting hit. Captain is minnies best friend.

If you want to practice healing, go to Moors. I've learned A LOT about minstrel by playing PVMP. And it is very forgiving environment for beginners. Join a large raid, follow the leader and heal those who get hit. You will learn how to prioritize your heals, use your skills efficiently, and balance movement and healing. And if your group will wipe, it's not a big deal. You are supposed to die in Moors, and there is no equipment damage in PVMP.

JohanFlick on
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh wow, I rolled a RK yesterday on Elendilmir. They're a ton of fun. Put two hours in and got him to level 13 or so. I'll just reroll it on Landroval.

I still wish I could transfer my characters from Elendilmir to Landroval.

You should be able to switch from one high-pop server to another.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    kyleh613kyleh613 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Arivia wrote: »
    hmm.

You two were in different layers. In order to join the same layer, start a fellowship, and whoever is not the leader, click the layer icon that is in the bottom right corner of your screen.

kyleh613 on
  • Options
    BluntlyBluntly Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So, how exactly do the points you get for [strike]achie[/strike] deeds work? If you go play as an elf and do all the deeds in elf starting area, then make a hobbit and do all the deeds in the shire, will those points add up? If I level them both and go to Bree or wherever it is that they meet up, will I get the points twice for same deeds done by both characters? If I delete the hobbit, will those points be gone?

Bluntly on
This discussion has been closed.