As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Halo Reach CAMPAIGN/CO-OP/FORGE thread. Metatag: A PA Reach CoOp

• Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I thought the first Halo was the worst of the series, actually. Halo 2 added the battle rifle and the Covenant carbine, which were good.

Delta Assault on
  • RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    But Halo 1 had the pistol which was a battle rifle but better!

Ranced on
  • OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    OmnomnomPancake on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
    I go back and play Halo 1 once in a while, but I'd rather play 2 or 3 if I had the choice.

The multiplayer in 1 is completely unredeemable these days, though.

FyreWulff on
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    elliotw2 wrote: »
    Halo 2 is the weakest of the Halo games. The gameplay isn't that great, the story can be confusing, and half of the game is playing as a squishy alien with crappy guns.

Also, I have to add that you are insane.

2 is by far the best of the Halo games. ODST is the weakest followed by 3.

ODST was fairly fun, except that the hub world is kinda too big. I don't remember much of Halo 3's campaign actually, but it has to be better than Halo 2 simply because the guns handle better and can actually kill shit.

I am glad that Reach won't have the flood in the campaign. They were neat and dangerous in Halo 1, boring, annoying, and lazy in Halo 2, and I don't remember much besides flamethrower in Halo 3.

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • JyrenBJyrenB St. AugustineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one that loved ODST. The campaign was great fun, and I loved the hub stuff. Maybe I'm weird or just easily pleased with Halo: Firefly Edition, but hey.

JyrenB on
    osasbutton.png
    XBL: JyrenB ; Steam: Jyren ; Twitter
  • iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    DJ Cam Cam wrote: »
    They should of officially remade the best map in all of Halo, but fuck me this works too!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYMbYi7Vvw8

Jesus I just realized that they built the walls around the map. I'm so wanting forge and a "halo classic" game variety that has you picking up AA (but none are placed on the map) so its just like the halo we've been playing for years...Throwback would take on an entirely new spin if you did that.

Also for those of you who are debating which halo was the best.

Halo CE was the best for the simple reason that it kicked off this entire shindig. Graphics, gameplay, sound, storyline, and all of that aside its what launched bungie into the mainstream with consoles and what got people going for the halo franchise. The entire reason I buy halo games these days is because of playing Halo CE 4 player splitscreen and talking nonstop trash to the people next to me as I was raping the hell out of them.

That evolved with XBL, I no longer was sitting next to them playing on the same TV...but they were halfway across the states from me and we still were playing and talking trash. I still play halo with the same group of four that I started out playing with.

Halo 1 gets the default title of the strongest halo game in the group simply for that fact.

iRevert on
  • Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    i personally thought ODST was better than the vanilla Halo 3 campaign

it was probably the lack of Flood

Diablo Fett on
    edited September 2010
    I thought ODST had a great campaign, too. Nice atmosphere, neat noir-like music.

Single player on legendary actually being challenging was a big plus too. Felt like a survival game.

Ranced on
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Before I knew the ODST story all I remember thinking while I was playing was, "When am I going to get out of this damn city?"

Oh. well crap.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The only campaign levels I remember hating was that one flood level from Halo 2.

It was just awful.

Reach looks so good though

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
    edited September 2010
    Ranced wrote: »
    I thought ODST had a great campaign, too. Nice atmosphere, neat noir-like music.

Single player on legendary actually being challenging was a big plus too. Felt like a survival game.

I don't remember any part of ODST being hard on legendary. While in Halo 3, you had that highway part with the shit ton of brutes, and the Cortana level with all the stupid Flood.

Delta Assault on
  • ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    God, Tsavo Highway was brutal on Legendary. Sometimes I'd only make one checkpoint before having to take a break.

Arrath on
  • Glirk DientGlirk Dient Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I don't remember any part of ODST being hard on legendary. While in Halo 3, you had that highway part with the shit ton of brutes, and the Cortana level with all the stupid Flood.

The flood that sit on the walls and shoot are the worst. I hated seeing them after being out of ammo and having close range weapons. You cant move 2 feet out of cover without those things sniping your head off.

Glirk Dient on
    XBL gamertag: GlurkDient
    Steam Username:Glirk_Dient
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The only campaign levels I remember hating was that one flood level from Halo 2.

It was just awful.

Reach looks so good though

Which flood level? The one where they act like Covenant (shields + good with covenant weapons + vehicles) or the one where they are in the labs like area?

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Seriously though what was with the Playboy After Dark Jazz that played throughout the game? That was the only thing that killed it for me, other then that I really enjoyed the single player though I wish it had of been a bit more tense sneaking around in the city. Not trying to make it into splintercell, but I would have liked to see more enemies and if you were spotted have perhaps a dropship or two come in and drop some reinforcements nearby. Just would have made things a bit more tense and forced people into a risk-vs-reward type of approach rather then the one man army type of runthrough most people do.

Data hive was a prime example, I started out with the one man army type approach and realized that it wasn't working so risk-vs-reward and I just said screw it and made a balls to the wall run through the level dodging every possible firefight I could.

On legendary it was a challenge and I enjoyed that, but again I just felt like I could wipe out these groups of patrolling covies and spend half an hour bagging the ape without any consequences. As long as I stayed in that area no new groups walked past or anything...You'd figure they'd send someone to check out why an entire patrol just vanished...Not to mention an entire line of patrols spanning one district of the city to another...connect the dots and perhaps drop some hunters or a big group ahead of the path of destruction I left.

iRevert on
  • OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If you didn't like the jazz you missed the point of ODST

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Finalday.png

See you on the other side.

Mx. Quill on
  • WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I am going to spend hours on Forge World, possibly even eschewing Campaign when I pick this up. Now I can finally build my towering maze superstructures without fearing for my sanity.

Warcry on
  • YardGnomeYardGnome Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    all the talk of midnight shenanigans almost makes me sad that I'm getting my version from amazon. :(

YardGnome on
  • Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Not to completely de-rail the thread with the pre-order thing, but I'm just saying when I can walk into Best Buy/ Wal-Mart/ Target, whatever and they have plenty of copies sitting out, then the "there aren't enough" debate doesn't come into question.

The stores around here have done this shit before. They get just enough for pre-orders so that when you walk in and they don't have it they can give you that smug "should have pre-ordered, man" bullshit. What the hell kind of store doesn't get any more than what was reserved?

Sir Platypus on
  • KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Not to completely de-rail the thread with the pre-order thing, but I'm just saying when I can walk into Best Buy/ Wal-Mart/ Target, whatever and they have plenty of copies sitting out, then the "there aren't enough" debate doesn't come into question.

The stores around here have done this shit before. They get just enough for pre-orders so that when you walk in and they don't have it they can give you that smug "should have pre-ordered, man" bullshit. What the hell kind of store doesn't get any more than what was reserved?

Stores that are worried about not making a profit (so in this year, all of them). Most stores are still pissed about the giant music game rush, and hate having all those leftover plastic instruments that take up space, and don't sell.

Stores don't like having more than what they're going to sell.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Warcry wrote: »
    I am going to spend hours on Forge World, possibly even eschewing Campaign when I pick this up. Now I can finally build my towering maze superstructures without fearing for my sanity.

I'm going through campaign first thing, then multiplayer with occasional breaks for food and Sons of Anarchy.

And then I'm going to try to make the Facing Worlds level from Unreal Tournament in ForgeWorld.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
    edited September 2010
    YardGnome wrote: »
    all the talk of midnight shenanigans almost makes me sad that I'm getting my version from amazon. :(

i have class during the midnight launch

yeah

Diablo Fett on
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

yeah

but how?

joshgotro on
    edited September 2010
    I'm going to have work soon after I pick Reach up. :(

I'm thinking of calling some mom and pop stores tomorrow to see if I can get it by noon.

Ranced on
    edited September 2010
    Kor wrote: »

Stores that are worried about not making a profit (so in this year, all of them). Most stores are still pissed about the giant music game rush, and hate having all those leftover plastic instruments that take up space, and don't sell.

Halo is going to sell. There's not really any doubt about that.

Fuck it, probably just gonna go to Wal-Mart. Do they have the Recon thing? Is it like in package or a separate slip?

Sir Platypus on
    edited September 2010
    joshgotro wrote: »

yeah

but how?

i have class from 5-1 on mondays

and tuesday i have class again from 1-5 (afternoon time, thankfully), so i won't be able to actually get into the game until late tuesday :(

Diablo Fett on
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    joshgotro wrote: »

yeah

but how?

i have class from 5-1 on mondays

and tuesday i have class again from 1-5 (afternoon time, thankfully), so i won't be able to actually get into the game until late tuesday :(

you are on a campus at 1am?

joshgotro on
    edited September 2010
    indeed

and right as we leave a second group is just coming in and they have to be there till 5 AM

it's a wacky place!

Diablo Fett on
  • arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Blurbl wrote: »
    Jerkbot wrote: »
    So, just finished rereading EVERY weekly update since Reach was announced.

Wow.

I'm slowly becoming less and less able to wait until Tuesday afternoon.

Is there an easy way to read through the weekly updates? I'm not seeing it.

http://halo.bungie.org/bwu/index.html

Fucking thanks....

Guess how I just spent the last 5 hours at work?

Now to a real question, I have never really been competitive in Halo. I want to change that. Is there a 'best' control scheme to relearn with Reach in mind? All I have ever used is the default one.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Whatever control scheme works best for you. I really like the default control scheme for Reach - I used Boxer in Halo 3, since that's what I've used since forever, but Reach's default layout appeals to me more than their flavor of Boxer.

DarkPrimus on
    edited September 2010
    Kor wrote: »

Halo is going to sell. There's not really any doubt about that.

Fuck it, probably just gonna go to Wal-Mart. Do they have the Recon thing? Is it like in package or a separate slip?

Yes, Halo is going to sell. The $150 version of it might not though. Gamestop/Wal-mart is banking off the notion that if you're willing to spend $150 on as single video game, you're probably the exact same customer that's going to show up on launch day, and thus, why would they want to buy more of those items if they don't see a demand for them ahead of time.

Edit: The 150 dollar, 12 inch, by 18 inch, by 12 inch, 11 pound box version might not. And that is an awfully large amount of space for something to take up. Especially multiples.

Kor on
    edited September 2010
    Limited, not Legendary. I'm positive they will be able to sell.

Maybe not Wal-Mart or Target though.

Sir Platypus on
    edited September 2010
    There's a video playthrough of the entire campaign with commentary on Gameanyone.com FYI.

Delta Assault on
    edited September 2010
    Limited, not Legendary. I'm positive they will be able to sell.

Maybe not Wal-Mart or Target though.

I no longer have any idea what you're trying to say/complain about.

Kor on
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My copy is shipped and I should be loading the bag containing it at work tomorrow!

Xagar on
  • WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Totally gonna remake this old map of mine. WITH PERFECT SYMMETRICAL GEOMETRY.
    halo3_100799005_Full.jpg

So excited for tomorrow :rotate:

Warcry on
  • Silent ZeroSilent Zero Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If you didn't like the jazz you missed the point of ODST

Man I still have that soundtrack goin.

Silent Zero on
    Yes I work for Netflix. No, I can't give you any free movies dammit.
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I am really, really, really tempted to buy this game on Tuesday.

Are there going to be co-op games a plenty after the launch? Or are people just going to jump into the abyss that is MP and never come out?

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire