As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Twenty-five 1Ups

ascotascot Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in Social Entropy++
happy-25th-birthday-super-mario-bros.jpg

Aw, today is Mario's 25th Birthday! Well, according to Nintendo Japan anyway because it was the release of Super Mario Bros on 13th September 1985 that defines Mario's being. We know he was around longer. Let's not be picky.

Let's talk about how we grew up, or didn't, with Mario and how it's weird that he's the same age as us. Well, me at least.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/mario25th/top.html
Screenshot2010-09-13at165518.png

ascot on

• humblehumble Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    i really like that 25th anniversary logo

humble on
  • ascotascot Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Me too, though it's cheating because it's also just the Happy 20th Mario logo.

ascot on
  • WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I love you super mario

Wimble on
    4SMZq.jpg
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    mario's okay i suppose

Faricazy on
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    love this box

500x_wiibox.jpg

Faricazy on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    I remember trying to teach my aunt to play SMB on the NES when my brother and I got it for Christmas. She couldn't grasp the idea of running forward and jumping at the same time to jump over pits. She would either run up to the edge and then just jump up and down or run right off the edge and try to jump as she fell. My little brother and I couldn't understand how adults could be so stupid.

DMAC on
  • LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I find myself slightly frightened that I'm older than Mario is

Ledneh on
  • FoolproofFoolproof thats what my hearts become in that place you dare not look staring back at youRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I remember playing donkey kong when it was new and a few years later Mario Bros. where Luigi show up for the first time.

I was on my own and poor as shit when the NES came out so I missed the boat with super mario bros. but played the coin op version when it came out in the multi game stand ups.

Foolproof on
  • crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    oh man i am older than mario by a couple months

crazy!

crwth on
    EzUAYcn.png
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Mario is probably my favorite franchise

I don't think there's a single mainline game I don't love

Maybe Sunshine but I still like that a lot more than most folks

Yoshi's Island is one of my all-time favorite games

Speed Racer on
    edited September 2010
    Mario is probably my favorite franchise

I don't think there's a single mainline game I don't love

Maybe Sunshine but I still like that a lot more than most folks

Yoshi's Island is one of my all-time favorite games

Sunshine matured with age definitely. Going back to sunshine is way more enjoyable than going back to Mario 64. And considering how many iterations of 64 there's been that can be a LOT.

ascot on
  • alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    SMB was the game that really pulled me into video games. I remember playing that, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Goof Troop, and Street Fighter with my Dad every day.

Good times.

alternatingAberration on
    xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    One of my earliest memories is playing the original SMB with my parents

Speed Racer on
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    mario is the same age as me

and a whole bunch of other forumers

Beasteh on
  • LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2010
    Faricazy wrote: »
    love this box

500x_wiibox.jpg

Japan gets all the best stuff. I'm still pissed the orgasmic Metal Gear Solid anniversary set they released over there never came here.

Larlar on
    iwantanswers3.png
    edited September 2010
    photo-2.jpg

I'ma horrible

ascot on
  • JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Super Mario World is my favorite game of all time.

Because Yoshi is my favorite Mario character, but I like riding him more than playing as him. And the Star World and the music and Bowser's statue rising out of the water and all the secret exits and unlockable Yoshis and the top secret area with the power ups and everything.

It is one of the few games that feels complete, like they didn't have to cut anything due to time constraints or whatever.

I'm also partial to Galaxy and the Kart franchise and Six Golden Coins and NSMB.

Does anyone remember the slick Happy Meal toys back in the early 90's? There was like, a Goomba and a ParaTroopa... some other stuff.

Jimothy on
    edited September 2010
    photo-4.jpg

nerd.

ascot on
    edited September 2010
    Man it's weird how my dad's gotten all condescending about video games considering he played them well into his thirties

and played them a lot

More than once he had to throw away baseball SNES games because they were all he'd ever do

When we got Mario 64 we played it together for hours and then I had to go to bed and when I got up in the morning somehow we'd jumped from 10 stars to 40 and now all the levels that we were working on were way too hard for me

Speed Racer on
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That part in the wizard when Fred savage finds the warp whistle, Was such bullshit. how is that even possible?

In fact, how did those tricks, like warp whistle or konami code, even become well-known to kids back then, pre-Internet

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
    edited September 2010
    Larlar wrote: »
    love this box

500x_wiibox.jpg

Japan gets all the best stuff. I'm still pissed the orgasmic Metal Gear Solid anniversary set they released over there never came here.

We might get that here, Nintendo usually releases stuff in America as long as it's not tied to the Mother franchise in any way.

Speed Racer on
    edited September 2010
    lostwords wrote: »
    That part in the wizard when Fred savage finds the warp whistle, Was such bullshit. how is that even possible?

In fact, how did those tricks, like warp whistle or konami code, even become well-known to kids back then, pre-Internet

I imagine word of mouth and/or gaming magazines

Speed Racer on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    lostwords wrote: »

There were a lot of video game secrets books and magazines in the NES days.

DMAC on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    crwth wrote: »
    oh man i am older than mario by a couple months

crazy!

Hey me too

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    edited September 2010
    Didn't they also used to have the Nintendo Help Hotline

Speed Racer on
    edited September 2010
    love this box

500x_wiibox.jpg

We might get that here, Nintendo usually releases stuff in America as long as it's not tied to the Mother franchise in any way.

If it does, it wont be in a box like that. Also it might be part of the Club Nintendo thing and the good stuff NEVER makes it outside of Japan.

ascot on
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This reminds me when my mom came to visit me. She found my SNES attatched to my TV and decided to give it a try. Later on I hear my SNES going and I had to tell her to turn the volume down. It was kind of weird seeing the roles reversed.

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My first game I ever owned was Super Mario 64, so this is pretty cool. Yeah, I'm not as old as you other folks... got my start on N64. Lots of good memories with Mario!

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh yeah, gaming mags. A huge stack of nintendo powers and game pros are probably moldering away in my parents basement. My fave issue of nintendo power was the one with a huge walkthrough for robin hood: prince of thieves onthe NES. Game sounded so awesome from the walk through and pics, then I got the game and it was such a steaming pile of poop. Never again, nintendo power

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
    edited September 2010
    I remember the Mario and Zelda comics in Nintendo Power. Those were awesome to me back then.

• alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Didn't they also used to have the Nintendo Help Hotline

Yup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mLsw7yB1Zg&feature=related

alternatingAberration on
    xI8QS1g.jpg?1
    edited September 2010
    The SNES came out when I was a year old but we didn't actually get one until my parents' old NES died in 1994.

Then one day I got up before both of them and my Thomas the Train game wasn't working right and instead of just blowing in it I resolved to fix the SNES

So I grabbed a screwdriver that my dad left on the table and smashed some of the connectors inside of it

and I guess I didn't smash enough of them to do significant damage because the game actually worked when I tested it

but then I thought, hey, if smashing a few of those things made it go from a screen of white fuzz to a correct picture, then logically smashing all of them will make an even better picture, right?

We eventually got a new SNES when they started bundling them with Yoshi's Island.

Speed Racer on
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Magazines used to be life savers

Oh, and the Nintendo tip helpline helped me with Zelda once

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2010
    My first game I ever owned was Super Mario 64, so this is pretty cool. Yeah, I'm not as old as you other folks... got my start on N64. Lots of good memories with Mario!

Thanks, you just made me feel so old I think my hip just psychosomatically crumbled to dust.

Larlar on
    iwantanswers3.png
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2010
    super mario bros is the only game my parents can play other than wii bowling

well my mom can play tetris

Garlic Bread on
  • SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Thanks, you just made me feel so old I think my hip just psychosomatically crumbled to dust.

Get off my lawn!

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Larlar you were never hip

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited September 2010
    i kinda wish i hadn't sold my wii

but i really just want to play gamecube games

but i really want to play Donkey Kong Country Returns, Epic Mickey, and Kirby's Epic Yarn

Garlic Bread on
    edited September 2010
    My mom can sorta play the Donkey Kong country games for the SNES and she can also get though the first few levels of Super Mario World. It was kinda embarrassing watching her play Mega Man X though.

edited September 2010
    I remember getting Turok on the N64

me and my dad both played it a bunch

but we were both dogshit at it

I don't think we ever made it to a boss

Speed Racer on