As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Android] Thread: We like portable shower buttons

• MuridenMuriden Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Alegis wrote: »
    Htc desire update out, android os patch to fix some little things.
    People running root with custom roms/radio mention their wifi stopped working so take care .

Works Alright here .as you can tell from the messed up capitalisation I ain't typing this on my desktop.

Sorry I'm a newbie, how do I update my desire?

Muriden on
    MrGulio.332 - Lover of fine Cheeses. Replays
    301787-1.png
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Settings -> About Phone -> System Software Updates -> check now

That's for unbranded phones though, if you have some kind of branded phone (like via vodaphone or something, if you see your provider's logo during start-up) you have to wait for them to pass the update first

Alegis on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    icon?id=3373415690604060867Street View on Google Maps
    by Google Inc.
    10,000 downloads, 582 ratings (4.4 avg)
    Free
    rating9.png

google street view is out :)

nexuscrawler on
  • MuridenMuriden Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Alegis wrote: »
    Settings -> About Phone -> System Software Updates -> check now

That's for unbranded phones though, if you have some kind of branded phone (like via vodaphone or something, if you see your provider's logo during start-up) you have to wait for them to pass the update first

Yeah, the System Software Updates is not in my menus. I've bought the phone through US Cellular so that may be the problem here.

Muriden on
    MrGulio.332 - Lover of fine Cheeses. Replays
    301787-1.png
  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010
    icon?id=3373415690604060867Street View on Google Maps
    by Google Inc.
    10,000 downloads, 582 ratings (4.4 avg)
    Free
    rating9.png

google street view is out :)

I've always had the Street View option through Google Maps. What's different about this?

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • clsCorwinclsCorwin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It has Walking Navigation

clsCorwin on
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    that comes with the google maps update, Do you need to add the streetview too?

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Bolthorn wrote: »
    How hard are the AT&T android phones to root? I'm tired of seeing all these cool features the phones are capable of being crippled by AT&T's lock down on them.

Very easy. I did it the night I got my Captivate.

I was able to use a one click root program. The only tricky thing was that it took a few tries to get the timing right.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    How hard are the AT&T android phones to root? I'm tired of seeing all these cool features the phones are capable of being crippled by AT&T's lock down on them.

I was able to use a one click root program. The only tricky thing was that it took a few tries to get the timing right.

Thanks. I might look into this. I have an Aria though. Not a bad phone for 20 bucks a piece.

Bolthorn on
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

Thanks. I might look into this. I have an Aria though. Not a bad phone for 20 bucks a piece.

You want to look here for your easy one-click root:

http://unrevoked.com/#aria

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sweet, thanks for providing that. I'll take a look into doing that this weekend.

Bolthorn on
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So I have a G1 with 1.6 and apps aren't updating for me anymore. I got the notice that some of my apps have updates. I click on it and hit one of the apps to update and it just sits at download starting forever. I tried restarting the phone multiple times, restarting the download, but none of the apps I try to update go beyond download starting. Any ideas of what's wrong or what I can do about it?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    couple of questions

how bad is launcher killing my battery?

is there an app where I can see what's running so I can end anything I don't need?

is there a way to universally set programs to only update manually? things like facebook and a sports widget auto updating is nice but not necessary if it will save my battery.

I'm not sure if it might be defective or if it was just under-charged, I may seek an extended one if they even exist.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    edited September 2010
    Variable wrote: »
    couple of questions

how bad is launcher killing my battery?

is there an app where I can see what's running so I can end anything I don't need?

is there a way to universally set programs to only update manually? things like facebook and a sports widget auto updating is nice but not necessary if it will save my battery.

I'm not sure if it might be defective or if it was just under-charged, I may seek an extended one if they even exist.

If you're running two launchers, that will drain your battery.

Watchdog will let you see realtime cpu usage, which in-turn can help determine which apps are sucking your juice.

For turning of auto-syncing, the easiest way is to put the power widget on a home screen. The 4th button allows you to turn auto-sync on and off (this is for ALL syncing - mail, weather and those other apps). The other way to do it is set the update frequency in those apps to an infrequent interval, like 1-3 hours rather than every 10-30 minutes.

As for the battery life, are you running it until your phone actually shuts down, or just concerned because its reporting low battery? I've found the battery monitor can get misconfigured (not sure how this happens), where it won't report an even battery level over the entire life of the battery. So sometimes the battery will seem to drain quickly at certain levels, but then seem to hold at a particular level for a much longer amount of time.

Example: It took my phone an hour of playing back podcasts to go from 20% to 10% battery life. However once it hit 9%, it stayed there for 15 minutes, then hit 8% and stayed there for another 15 minutes. Now the battery didn't get some magical second wind, it just means that the algorithm for calculating the % remaining isn't returning a correct value. So my battery actually has more juice than the phone is reporting. Now some will say that you should never completely drain the battery, and others say you need to drain the battery and do a full charge every so often to reconfigure this battery monitor. It's up to you how you use your battery, but keep that in mind when your phone starts complaining about low juice.

As for extended batteries, Seidio has larger batteries for most popular phones out there, and some of the major manufacturers (moto, HTC, samsung) make official extended batteries (though good luck finding a case for most of those). Official batteries are generally your best bet for the best possible battery life and compatibility.

CarbonFire on
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    3 still haven't released a 2.2 update.

Starting to piss me off. Want update!

BobCesca on
    edited September 2010
    If it makes you feel any better Virgin haven't either.

I've given up checking and will just stick to being nicely surprised when it eventually hits.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So I have a G1 with 1.6 and apps aren't updating for me anymore. I got the notice that some of my apps have updates. I click on it and hit one of the apps to update and it just sits at download starting forever. I tried restarting the phone multiple times, restarting the download, but none of the apps I try to update go beyond download starting. Any ideas of what's wrong or what I can do about it?

this ought to be a stupid question, but for the sake of due diligence, have you checked how much free memory space you have? When the memory gets low, the android phones can do stupid things.

Evander on
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Evander wrote: »

this ought to be a stupid question, but for the sake of due diligence, have you checked how much free memory space you have? When the memory gets low, the android phones can do stupid things.

Even not allow updates? I am low, I have about 5 megs of space left, but I don't see how that wouldn't let me update singular apps one at a time. Why do the apps need to save to the pitiful 50megs of internal memory anyway, I have a friggen 4 gig micro SD card in the phone too?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    edited September 2010
    Why do the apps need to save to the pitiful 50megs of internal memory anyway, I have a friggen 4 gig micro SD card in the phone too?

Because you're not running Froyo.

Have you thought about trying to update to 2.1? There seem to be some pretty stable 2.1 ROMs for the G1/Magic out there, but not sure about how stable the Froyo builds are yet.

CarbonFire on
    edited September 2010
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    Why do the apps need to save to the pitiful 50megs of internal memory anyway, I have a friggen 4 gig micro SD card in the phone too?

Because you're not running Froyo.

Have you thought about trying to update to 2.1? There seem to be some pretty stable 2.1 ROMs for the G1/Magic out there, but not sure about how stable the Froyo builds are yet.

I am wary about goosing around with that kind of stuff.

The_Spaniard on
  • corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If it makes you feel any better Virgin haven't either.

I've given up checking and will just stick to being nicely surprised when it eventually hits.

Neither have T-Mobile UK. Apparently it's due this month though.

I have no idea what they are doing to it. I can see why they might not want to roll it out immediately (it might break phones, etc) but it is taking a silly amount of time.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
    edited September 2010
    thanks a lot carbonfire. after using it lightly today and seeing the battery not budge I think it may just have been misreporting where my batter was at. which I can live with for sure, far better than a bad battery.

I use the power widget already and have everything off but I -thought- some stuff was still updating. maybe I'm wrong. maybe I just never touched it and it defaulted to off but some programs were specifically set to on, so I have to reset it, if that makes sense.

probably gonna install watchdog.

as for launcherpro I'm not sure what you mean by running two but maybe I wasn't clear what app I was talking about.

thanks again.

edit - 2.2 on the X any day now I hope

Variable on
  • Yellow RangerYellow Ranger Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've been looking to upgrade my phone for a while now (had the same one for six years), and was just browsing the Driods on Verizon's site. I'm glad I read this thread, I also had no idea you could buy a phone from someplace other then the provider. And holy shit they're half the price!? The Driod 2 is only $99, and the Droid x is $179.

So how does this work? I just buy it off Amazon with a service plan? I'm a current Verizon costumer, so how would that work? I guess I could go talk to them about it. Hope they don't jerk me around for buying the phone someplace else.

Yellow Ranger on
    sigcx.jpg
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just got my droid x today. What should I get on it first? Also, what do I need to get on my laptop to properly sync and all that crap?

Finally, whats the best free torrent software for android?

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    BobCesca wrote: »
    3 still haven't released a 2.2 update.

Starting to piss me off. Want update!

Softbank in Japan hasn't either, although apparently it's coming in the next month or so. I'll have to see how much crapware they installed for it >.<

Although, finally having MMS phone texting will be nice, finally.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ooh! Softbank... Here's hoping for an Emoji implementation!!!

halkun on
    edited September 2010
    Hmm speaking of which, I'm moving to Osaka next week for a year. Where am I better off for the cheapest (pref. pre-paid) GSM subscription? Just the occasional call, probably. Mobile internet preferred.

Alegis on
  • CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    halkun wrote: »
    Ooh! Softbank... Here's hoping for an Emoji implementation!!!

There should be, from what I vaguely remember reading. I could be wrong though, and I may be thinking of something else.

Either way, sometime around the middle of October, I believe.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
    edited September 2010
    If the latest round of myTouch HD rumors are true, then that will probably be my next phone. I am willing to stick to a 3.8" form factor screen if it mean I get a dual core CPU.

Evander on
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Dual core cell phones.. I love the future.

joshgotro on
    edited September 2010
    Imagining a future where animations in the app that I am using run smoothly because my background apps are using the other core, THAT is progress.

Evander on
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Evander wrote: »
    Imagining a future where animations in the app that I am using run smoothly because my background apps are using the other core, THAT is progress.

Fast approaching one device for everything.

joshgotro on
    edited September 2010
    Variable wrote: »
    thanks a lot carbonfire. after using it lightly today and seeing the battery not budge I think it may just have been misreporting where my batter was at. which I can live with for sure, far better than a bad battery.

I use the power widget already and have everything off but I -thought- some stuff was still updating. maybe I'm wrong. maybe I just never touched it and it defaulted to off but some programs were specifically set to on, so I have to reset it, if that makes sense.

probably gonna install watchdog.

as for launcherpro I'm not sure what you mean by running two but maybe I wasn't clear what app I was talking about.

thanks again.

edit - 2.2 on the X any day now I hope

turning off wifi and gps when they're not is use helps batter life a ton

nexuscrawler on
    edited September 2010
    turning off wifi and gps when they're not is use helps batter life a ton

Wifi yeah, but I leave GPS on and get the same battery life as I did when I turned it off. Android is really good about turning stuff off until it's needed, so the only time GPS is used is when it's specifically needed by an app.

It's not one of those services that runs periodically to scan or update (unless you have an app that constantly updates your location).

SporkAndrew on
  • mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    joshgotro wrote: »

need stronger batteries.

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
    edited September 2010
    yeah I had them off

I've had it running almost 2 days now off one charge so I'm no longer worried. the idea I had in that post, turning autosync on universally and then off universally, seems to have done the trick. I guess some were on although it was set to off... it was more like 'off unless a program is set differently'. which makes sense and I'm glad it seems to have worked. I have enough things on here that everything autoupdating would logically rape the battery.

Variable on
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just got my droid x today. What should I get on it first? Also, what do I need to get on my laptop to properly sync and all that crap?

Finally, whats the best free torrent software for android?

LauncherPro, WordFeud, AppBrain (and Fast Web Installer), Dropbox, a barcode scanner, Handscent, Angry Birds beta, and ASTRO File Manager. There's other stuff I'd recommend, but it depends on what you want to do with the device.

I don't do syncing stuff, but you can do it with Windows Media Player and the Motorola software.

I have no idea what's out there for BT software, but I have no use for it on my X.
    mastman wrote: »
    joshgotro wrote: »

need stronger batteries.

It's great that the hardware is advancing so quickly, but battery tech is seriously lagging behind. I don't even want to think about running anything much more powerful than an EVO or X with current battery tech. Battery life would be abysmal.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2010
    check the OP

Alegis on
    edited September 2010
    I'm yet to get my X to sync via windows network but plugging it in usb is easy enough

nexuscrawler on
  • YallYall Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Damn!

FedEx tried to delivery my X today, but I was in the basement and didn't hear them!

Will have it tomorrow though. Any recommendations on what I should do once I get it (after copying my contacts)?

Any updates I should get or apps that are good to have from a battery life perspective?

Yall on
This discussion has been closed.