As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Twenty-five 1Ups

• tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I think my least favorite video game memory was playing Fester's Quest on a black and white screen. If you know of that game you can probably guess why.

tsplitter on
    FqmsaJ6.png
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    As far as I'm concerned

Mario Sunshine is the only Mario game you're allowed to dislike and still lay a legitimate claim to good taste

Maybe Mario 2 USA. Maybe.

Speed Racer on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Mario 2 is amazing

UnbreakableVow on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I like it

but not nearly as much as the other Marios

same goes for sunshine but I like mario 2 more than sunshine

Speed Racer on
    edited September 2010
    I'd really like to get around to trying NSMB Wii

But the control method is really stupid

I didn't like the DS one but the Wii version looks worlds better in terms of not being so...bland.

UnbreakableVow on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Man, I loved both NSMB games

Antimatter on
    edited September 2010
    What

the control method is identical to the NES

Speed Racer on
  • LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2010
    Sunshine almost killed the Mario franchise, which is a shame, considering it was basically their first attempt at a radically new gameplay mechanic since Mario 2. Too bad it sucked.

I just wish Nintendo had taken the level design ingenuity for the Galaxy games and applied it to a brand new character, and bothered to create some kind of interesting story for it all. They've been taking all their best gameplay ideas and "lazifying" them for years.

Larlar on
    iwantanswers3.png
    edited September 2010
    What

the control method is identical to the NES

Except the NES remote didn't have some uncomfortable as fuck indentation under the D-pad where the B trigger is

My point is fuck Nintendo for making something like the Classic Controller then not letting you use it in a 2D Mario game.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited September 2010
    Homestuck game with Galaxy engine

Antimatter on
    edited September 2010
    Larlar wrote: »
    Sunshine almost killed the Mario franchise, which is a shame, considering it was basically their first attempt at a radically new gameplay mechanic since Mario 2. Too bad it sucked.

I just wish Nintendo had taken the level design ingenuity for the Galaxy games and applied it to a brand new character, and bothered to create some kind of interesting story for it all. They've been taking all their best gameplay ideas and "lazifying" them for years.

Stories are really not what I want out of Nintendo games

Their job is to pick a type of gameplay, reduce it to its purest point, and perfect it

This is a job they are very good at

Their games tend to suck when they try and do something else

See: Other M, Mario Sunshine

Also Mario 64 was more innovative than Sunshine by several orders of magnitude. It was a game entirely composed of mechanics that had literally never been done before.

Speed Racer on
  • TLHTLH Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I remember buying a N64 before there were even games released for it. Just sat at home and waited. Mario64 was certainly worth that weight.

I also remember making fun of games like Wave Racer64. Then playing the demo in store, and immediately buying it.

I also made fun of the idea of Super Smash Bros. (don't ask me why) and then played it in a Best Buy for like 3 hours and then bought a Gamecube then and there just so I could get SSB.

I miss playing the Mario Galaxy's....but I bought a 360, and not a Wii.... I feel the younger me would try to beat my ass for such a decision.

e. Also, was I the only person who liked Mario Sunshine? I mean, I didn't like the villagers, and a lot of the crap in it, but I'll be damned if that game wasn't just total fun to play.

TLH on
    edited September 2010
    Antimatter wrote: »

Dammit Anti

Ideas this good should be illegal unless you can actually make them happen

Speed Racer on
    edited September 2010

Their job is to pick a type of gameplay, reduce it to its purest point, and perfect it

See, but it's this kind of mentality that gets to me. We've dealt with them doing this for so long that we've basically become desensitized to it. Instead of pushing them to make a better all-around game, we make excuses for their deliberate shortcomings.

Larlar on
    iwantanswers3.png
  • CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I liked Sunshine. Of course it's bottom of the replay pile compared to the other 3d mario games.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
    edited September 2010
    If Nintendo made a great Zelda game with a really fantastic story

I just

I don't even know what I'd do

UnbreakableVow on
    edited September 2010
    Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Also what the fuck Yoshi's Island is amazing and anyone that thinks otherwise is a poop.

i did not like the eggshooting or the baby mechanics. loved everything else but that made the game a chore to play through.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
    edited September 2010
    Antimatter wrote: »

Dammit Anti

Ideas this good should be illegal unless you can actually make them happen

:mrgreen:

Antimatter on
    edited September 2010

See, but it's this kind of mentality that gets to me. We've dealt with them doing this for so long that we've basically become desensitized to it. Instead of pushing them to make a better all-around game, we make excuses for their deliberate shortcomings.

They are making better all around games though

Galaxy was insanely good, and Galaxy 2 somehow topped it. Replacing all the characters with new ones or adding cutscenes in between levels wouldn't have made the gameplay any better.

The Metroid series has been awesome up until Other M, and Other M wasn't bad for lack of experimentation

Zelda's admittedly gotten a little stagnant but they're generally pretty good about recognizing when that happens and taking it as a cue to shake things up so I've got pretty good hopes for Skyward Sword.

New Kirby looks awesome, DKC can get away with being samey since it's been so long since one's come out, Starfox is basically a lost cause

Speed Racer on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ocarina of Time pretty much had the perfect level of story for a Zelda game

Centipede Damascus on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited September 2010
    mario25.jpg

DMAC on
    edited September 2010
    I still don't see why people are excited about the new Kirby outside of the art style

He doesn't suck up enemies and gain abilities

That's what Kirby is

He's named after a goddamn vacuum for Christ's sake

UnbreakableVow on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    are you saying you didn't like Super Mario 64

you monster

I only played it at demo kiosks initially, and the Nintendo 64 controller is an affront to God and man

I never played the game proper until the Wii Virtual Console

I didn't dig it, but I mean, it was ten years old at that time

I was eleven and I loved it

the N64 controller was unconventional but I didn't have a real problem playing games with it

Centipede Damascus on
    edited September 2010
    Ocarina of Time pretty much had the perfect level of story for a Zelda game

No way man

Majora's Mask

the one where every character had their own personal story and you could get as deeply entangled with the world as you wanted to

Someone posted this over in GnT

Pretty good odds that it's just speculation nonsense but the game is even better than it already was if it's true so I'm cool with giving it the benefit of the doubt

Speed Racer on
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    that mushroom is so happy to be squeezed

Beasteh on
    edited September 2010
    Majora's Mask is the worst Zelda game

Fact

Except for Zelda II

Even more factual

UnbreakableVow on
  • tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    zelda II wasnt bad shut up

tsplitter on
    FqmsaJ6.png
    edited September 2010
    I still don't see why people are excited about the new Kirby outside of the art style

That's what Kirby is

It helps if you just think of it as Little Big Planet for the Wii.

Larlar on
    iwantanswers3.png
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Majora's Mask was the best Zelda game
    Speed Racer continues to be a man of impeccable taste

Grey Ghost on
    edited September 2010
    Zelda 2 is the worst anything

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
    edited September 2010
    I honestly think that kind of storytelling is the best sort to use for video games, where the story's out there for you to find and put together and not given to you in cutscenes.

Majora's Mask does it, the Metroid Primes do it (mostly the first one though), the Team ICO games do it, Bioshock does it, HL2 does it (I think? I didn't really play it)

oh and look that is just a list of all the games people cite when they talk about good storytelling in games

Speed Racer on
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

That's what Kirby is

All people want from Nintendo is to have familiar names in the game title.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
    edited September 2010
    HL2 has cutscenes, but you can walk around in them and throw random crap at the dudes head until he stops talking

edit: I guess they are more like events?

There are times when you can't do anything while watching stuff, but that is only because Gordon himself is incapacitated somehow.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
    edited September 2010

That's what Kirby is

But that's even worse

UnbreakableVow on
    edited September 2010

That's what Kirby is

But that's even worse

UV this horrible

horrible

normally I'd be calling you horrible for such an opinion but I am still grateful about you sending me Afrika last Christmas (even though, unlike now, you were completely right about it not being very good)

Speed Racer on
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    majora's mask is incredible

fuck the haters

Beasteh on
    edited September 2010
    I honestly think that kind of storytelling is the best sort to use for video games, where the story's out there for you to find and put together and not given to you in cutscenes.

Majora's Mask does it, the Metroid Primes do it (mostly the first one though), the Team ICO games do it, Bioshock does it, HL2 does it (I think? I didn't really play it)

oh and look that is just a list of all the games people cite when they talk about good storytelling in games

BioShock gives you all the important bits, and you can just find out a lot of neat side touches by picking up audio tapes

HL2 is like "The world is in a state of oppression. Now go from point to point without any motivation whatsoever. Ravenholm is supposed to be scary for some reason."

UnbreakableVow on
    edited September 2010
    Crashmo wrote: »
    HL2 has cutscenes, but you can walk around in them and throw random crap at the dudes head until he stops talking

edit: I guess they are more like events?

There are times when you can't do anything while watching stuff, but that is only because Gordon himself is incapacitated somehow.

Yeah I know that

Most of the games I listed have at least a few cutscenes

but isn't a lot of the story figured out by like finding old newspapers or listening to the bad guy scientist's radio show or whatever

Or just piecing together how an area came to be like it is

Speed Racer on
    edited September 2010
    Zelda II didn't necessarily strike me as bad

just ridiculously fucking hard

Speed Racer on