As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Prank 2010: Priority Access 7 (Currently Closed)

burnttoast45burnttoast45 Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in PAX Archive
In 2008 we had Bad Horsing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC3v_Q1RAyE

In 2009 The Boo Flashmob:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-vm4CpzWpM

In 2010: ???

The PAX Prank community tradition is back and once again we need your help! We need able individuals to help organize and be involved in this year’s prank.

Before I continue please read the Prank Mission Statement:

The PAX Prank strives to be fun for everyone involved, be it the one(s) being pranked (henceforth known as “targets”) or the ones pranking (henceforth “pranksters”). The PAX Prank will never be something with malicious intent. It will strive to never embarrass targets (much). It will be mindful of people who want no part in it, will not push the issue, and will always respect the authority figures of Penny Arcade Inc., PAX, and Greater Seattle/Boston. The PAX prank will not cause any damage emotionally, physically, or financially to anyone, whether they are involved directly or indirectly.

Now, to keep the purity of the reactions of potential targets, I cannot detail what exactly we are planning here. What I can say is that we need to recruit. If you would like to join in on our fun please post here, PM myself, or send an email to paxprank@gmail.com with a brief introduction about yourself. Please do not respond if you cannot fit within the confines of the mission statement above or the criteria below.

Requirements:

You must not be opposed to Twitter and preferably can get SMS updates or potentially phone calls. Twitter is how we are going to coordinate the various pranks that we will do over the weekend.

You must be at least moderately outgoing. What we will do will call a lot of attention to ourselves. We will probably be interacting with some of the celebrities that are at PAX as well. In other words, YOU WILL BE SEEN! If attention, social interaction, and having people probably laughing at you and/or wanting to praise you/shake your hand -- among other things -- upsets you, you need not look any further.*

*Note: If you would like to be involved in the creative aspects of the prank (content, design, etc) rather than the actual presentation please send me a message. We’re always looking for help.

You must be able to keep a secret. There may be mass emails, Skype calls, and other private conversations between now and then. We want to keep the reactions of our targets pure; surprise is the key here. Since we are getting more people in on the joke, the potential for leaks increases, so please don’t sign up if you know you are bad at keeping a secret.

You must be available either Thursday night or Friday morning before the show opens. This rule is a little more lenient. Most of us will be doing the Pre-PAX dinner, Pub Crawl, or the like, so specifics at this time are sketchy. This is for a last minute meeting to go over anything that might have come up, and give opportunities for a run through of the physical prank. It will be coordinated to fit everyone’s schedules as best we can, and we will do two meetings if needed, but if you can’t be there on either day for 15 to 30 minutes tops, don’t bother signing up.

I hope you will all consider joining us for a fabulous 2010 PAX Prank!

Edit: Everything is in place and invites have been streaming out. The prank will remain open for a while but we will eventually close invites.
A major portion of the prank will be coordinated via Google Wave so if you do not already have an account, let us know and an invite can be sent. In either case, an email address will be required (typical Google Wave email accounts end in @googlewave.com).

burnttoast45 on

• Options
    contrefaitcontrefait Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This sounds awesome. I did not get to participate last year and after hearing about it from people, I was quite sad. I shall have to make sure that this doesn't happen again.

Sign me up for whatever is necessary.

contrefait on
    PAX East 2016 Checklist
    Passes: ▬ Hotel: ▬ Flight: [color=red]☑[/color]
  • Options
    ShaddzShaddz Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I am gonna be a busy, busy man. But I will enjoy it greatly if you hit my buddy with the prank, it's gonna be his first time at PAX and I wanna make it special for him.

Shaddz on
    Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text
    You can find me on:
    Twitter.com: @Shaddz
    Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/y7lesjt

You can find my gaming news-related rants and reviews on:
    http://www.GAMINGtruth.com
  • Options
    bubblegumnexbubblegumnex Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I am so down with this. Sign me up Captain.

bubblegumnex on
    <@zerzhul&gt; bubblegumnex: you were so very fucked up
    <@zerzhul&gt; you win at twdt
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Shaddz wrote: »
    I am gonna be a busy, busy man. But I will enjoy it greatly if you hit my buddy with the prank, it's gonna be his first time at PAX and I wanna make it special for him.
    How does it make it special for your friend if you aren't involved?

Also PAX is not your personal army.

Back to OT. Look forward to seeing the aftermath of this. Those two videos in the OP were awesome, especially the one of Wil.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You shall have my axe.

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    Steel FireSteel Fire Gunboat Diplomat PAI MarketingRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I agree with Decius, the vids are awesome. I'll gladly help out as needed to make sure this one is awesome too.

Steel Fire on
  • Options
    Jordman12Jordman12 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You know I want to do this. I could record video in Glorious High Definition with my camcorder. I'll also be able to help out with anything else like designing face masks with photoshop and be in the pranks itself.

Jordman12 on
    2015 PAX East Omeganaut
    2016 PAX East Omeganaut

HAIL HATS !!!!!!!

@Jordman12
  • Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'll do it bro! Always in for a good lulz.

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    SpawnOfCthulhuSpawnOfCthulhu Also that Snifit guy. Gig Harbor, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You shall have my axe.

AND MY SWORD.

SpawnOfCthulhu on
    Wx8ay.png
  • Options
    qwhackerqwhacker Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    its dangerous to go alone, take this
    link%20cat.jpg

and by this i mean me.... not the cat

qwhacker on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    qwhacker wrote: »
    link%20cat.jpg

Can I have the cat too?

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I know a bit of the details already, and I'll try to keep watch on Twitter and send people on my team over to get some of it on film if/when we can. Should be entertaining.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I would like to help in any way that i can. it seems colbrew has it covered on the filming side of things, though extra angles couldn't hurt . . . being a pawn is also cool 8-)

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
    {Fondly remembers the PAXTrain}
  • Options
    thespiffyneostarthespiffyneostar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    first, though this is a shameless plug, I don't intend it that way.

we've got a Pokemon league being made at pax (www.tinyurl.com/paxpokemon) and we're going to have team rocket members ammongst us. we can always rocket-theme song someone...

also, I would recommend giant group trololo-ing.

hopefully this is a decent place to post ideas :)

thespiffyneostar on
  • Options
    JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    first, though this is a shameless plug, I don't intend it that way.

we've got a Pokemon league being made at pax (www.tinyurl.com/paxpokemon) and we're going to have team rocket members ammongst us. we can always rocket-theme song someone...

also, I would recommend giant group trololo-ing.

hopefully this is a decent place to post ideas :)

You can, just don't expect them to show up this year. THe prank has already been decided on, unfortunately.

Guys, make sure you are email paxprank or PMing Burnttoast. He's handling most things prank this year, you need to get the proper security clearance from him...

;)

JonnyNero on
  • Options
    Jordman12Jordman12 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just PM'd burnttoast my email address. Looking forward to being apart of the PAX Prank

Jordman12 on
    2015 PAX East Omeganaut
    2016 PAX East Omeganaut

HAIL HATS !!!!!!!

@Jordman12
  • Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I would like to help in any way that i can. it seems colbrew has it covered on the filming side of things, though extra angles couldn't hurt . . . being a pawn is also cool 8-)

I will try to get a member of our team out to film if somebody is free, but I wouldn't count on that happening to often, so if you or anybody has a camcorder and is there, go for it, don't wait/rely on us for it.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    BrennaCeDriaBrennaCeDria Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I want to know what's going on sooooo badly, but since I 90% will not be able to participate, I don't want the surprise ruined instead. This is my one and only post in this thread. :(

BrennaCeDria on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The more cameras the better :). This should be a fun prank for all involved. Recruiting is still open.

burnttoast45 on
  • Options
    KatherineKatherine Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I sent you a PM offering to help, however if you would rather have me on site to film I will be bringing a camera. Let me know where you need me and I will be there. :)

Katherine on
    Max sig size: 500x80 px or 4 lines of text
    signature-1.png
  • Options
    RoadBlockRoadBlock Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'd love to help!

RoadBlock on
  • Options
    chrisstiechrisstie Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If you would like the help of a League of Legends cosplaying lady I'm totally down. The cosplay thing implies I'm outgoing right? I also have a phone that can do sms/calls. Please let me know if I can be of service!

chrisstie on
  • Options
    qwhackerqwhacker Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    link%20cat.jpg

Can I have the cat too?

*gives cat*

qwhacker on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    link%20cat.jpg

Can I have the cat too?

*gives cat*

Seriously after I first saw the picture of that kitten, I had a dream about it.

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    ky13ky13 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Prankster #235073214501234-apple-charlie-giraffe reporting for duty!

ky13 on
    Eternity_Sky-banner-4.png
    Hey, it's me, Teldra! Did someone say "greatsword"? [Eternity]
  • Options
    ninjownedninjowned Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Me and a +1 would be interested if you're still looking for people.

ninjowned on
    ninjowned!
  • Options
    JediknightkarlJediknightkarl Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i was very heavy into theater in high school. both with writing and acting (and some singing) so if my services are needed i will gladly participate.

Jediknightkarl on
    damn...bit my tongue....i hate that.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Just wanted to drop a minor update, I'm almost done updating the primary details. Within the next day or so I'll start tossing invites to those who offered their support. A major portion of the prank will be coordinated via Google Wave so if you do not have an account try to get one. I can't recall if wave is still locked.. if so I'll email invites to those who need them.

Feel free to continue signing up! Thanks again.

Update: I had a motivational kick and sent messages to all individuals who asked to be a part of the prank. If you haven't received a private message or an email from me and posted/pmed/emailed prior to this post please contact me again! There's a chance it slipped through the cracks or I didn't interpret your post as interest in being involved.

burnttoast45 on
  • Options
    DrLombrizDrLombriz Registered User new member
    edited July 2010
    I wish to express interest in joining this prank. This sounds absolutely righteous.

Since swords, axes and bows have already been offered, I would like to offer my accordian as a Spoony Bard.

DrLombriz on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Wow, less than 5 weeks until PAX. We'll be closing invites to the prank in a few days as we begin to gear up. Sign up now or forever hold your peace.

burnttoast45 on
  • Options
    griftgrift [E] - Registration Table NYCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'd love to join. However, I don't have twitter access on my phone, so I may end up using my friend's, i.e., I may not have constant access if you don't plan on giving app. time to check.

grift on
  • Options
    ShigglesShiggles Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

Shiggles on
  • Options
    Queen BrewerQueen Brewer Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    PM sent! I watched the last two pranks go down in person and want to participate this time.

Queen Brewer on
    <Moe_Fwacky> once i had next door neighbors
    <Moe_Fwacky> nice girls
    <Moe_Fwacky> lesbians
    <Moe_Fwacky> robbed drugstores together
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Invites are currently closed. Thanks for all those who signed up. All emails/pms should have been responded to. If you sent a note earlier but haven't had a chance to reply, don't worry you're still invited to participate. Same goes to those whose invites are still being processed.

Please visit the wave often as we start to pick up the pace!

There is a small chance we might reopen invites at a later date so keep on the lookout..

burnttoast45 on
  • Options
    JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    For those of you that missed the prank this year, or maybe those of you who didn't but didn't know it was happening, TimeCruiserMike got EVERYTHING on video, and made a pretty nifty trailer of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtjWjGbk16M

I feel like a complete badass now

JonnyNero on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    FYI, a complete prank recap is on its way...

burnttoast45 on
  • Options
    TranceAddictFoXTranceAddictFoX Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I really hope I can be apart of next years prank. I'm pretty stoked I'm in the trailer for 2 small parts. In the background but still in the video. This was my 2nd PAX and its now the 2nd time I've ended up in a PAX related video (last year I was in the HAWP PAX video). I look forward to seeing the whole thing. Thanks to the guys and gals involved, this is another awesome addition to my PAX 2010 memories

TranceAddictFoX on
  • Options
    CybitCybit Merch Underling RedmondRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It was awesome being part (only at the end, unfortunately) of this. :-) Was great to get Tycho in on it as well, to boot. I'm STILL getting confused text messages and facebook messages from friends who went to PAX. :D

Cybit on
  • Options
    TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    lol, nice.

I gotta say, i feel super privileged to have been involved with this prank with so many talented individuals. It was an honor gentlemen, and ladies.

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
    {Fondly remembers the PAXTrain}
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Mentlegen.

Good show.

ZeroHourHero on