As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

2010 Primaries for Midterm Midtacular!

Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
edited October 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
So, most of them are done, but we still have:
Tomorrow:
DE-SEN, featuring elder statesman Mike Castle, who has served Delaware in various offices for decades, versus Palin, NRA, and DeMint-endorsed 2008 nominee wingnut Christine O'Donnell. More or less a tossup.
DE-AL, featuring a bunch of nobodies fighting for the chance to lose to Jack Markell. There's been some speculation that if Castle loses the primary, the winner of this one might let him keep running for his House seat.
DC: primaries amounting to general elections for their nonvoting delegate, mayor, and some ward members.
MD: Republican primary for Governor featuring former governor Bob Ehrlich against Palin endorsee Brian Murphy. While this primary has not been heavily polled, the few polls that I have seen give Ehrlich a 40-60 point lead. As far as I know, sitting governor Martin O'Malley has no opposition to speak of, nor does sitting senator Barbara Mikulski, running for reelection.
WI-GOV:Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett has little competition for the Democratic nod in the gubernatorial race, but Scott Walker, Milwaukee County Executive, is fending off former representative Mark Neumann.
WI-SEN: Russ Feingold is running unopposed for his nomination, but Ron Johnson faces a slightly more substantive rival than Ehrlich does, Dave Westlake, also a businessman. Johnson has more endorsements, and a lead in the polls.

Have at it!

(Reminder: this thread is not about previous elections except insofar as they pertain to this midterm and the primaries leading up to it. Nor is it about any issues that do not immediately, directly pertain to this midterm.)
Gosling wrote: »
All right. We are now officially past the primaries and into the general election. So it is at this time that I reintroduce something that worked so well here two years ago. I introduce it now, as many if not most states allow for early voting, and I would appreciate if it was placed into the OP.

i-voted-sticker.gif

This is an I Voted sticker. They give these out when you go to the polls; this design is the one you get at my precinct and the one we used here in 2008.

When you cast your general-election vote, I want you to make this sticker- or another one you happen to like better- your new avatar until Election Day. By the time the polls close, the only people that should NOT be sporting these stickers are those who are too young to vote and those who are not US citizens.

Captain Carrot on

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If Feingold loses his seat over this financial crash I am going to kill the first tea bagger I see.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If Feingold loses his seat over this financial crash I am going to kill the first tea bagger I see.

I support this idea.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I support this idea.

You'll know me by the blood and screams of the dying.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The Delaware race is fascinating and turning kind of awesome, last poll I saw had Castle down a couple. Hopefully!

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    O'Donnell certainly has the momentum. I have a feeling, though, that if he loses the primary he won't actually be that upset. He didn't seem like he wanted to run for it anyway.

Captain Carrot on
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/

Probably a good link for the OP, with current projections.

Jragghen on
    edited September 2010
    Whoops, I forgot a few.
    HI-GOV: Former Honolulu Mayor Mufi Hanneman against former representative Neil Abercrombie, both of whom are likely to beat current Lt. Gov Duke Aiona.
    NH-SEN: Four-way race for Gregg's seat, mainly between Ovide Lamontagne and Kelly Ayotte, the latter of whom is more likely to beat Paul Hodes.
    More information here.

Captain Carrot on
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Castle really is better off in the House, where he can kinda hide out. I really don't think he wants all of the attention that being the senator would give him.

Because to be honest, he would be the one that everybody would turn to, along with Collins & Snowe.

and something tells me that my representative could not say no to the president, let alone the Vice President, if put into that position.

I've barely seen any adverts for him, while O'Donnell is all over the place.

Will post more thoughts later, dinner time

lonelyahava on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Republicans are now head-faking another shutdown if they take both houses.

It would be terrible for everyone who was relying on the Feds for financials and such, but politically it would be glorious.

For the Democrats.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Didn't Clinton basically get re-elected the last time the pubs tried to cut funding to social programs?

ronzo on
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    ronzo wrote: »
    Didn't Clinton basically get re-elected the last time the pubs tried to cut funding to social programs?

Yep. Speaking of Clinton, Whitman's new ad shows she has the.political acumen of your average rock.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

By steeping them in hot water?

Burtletoy on
    edited September 2010
    Yep.

Turns out if you suddenly cut off all function of the Federal government, people figure out how much they need it.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited September 2010
    ronzo wrote: »

Yep. Speaking of Clinton, Whitman's new ad shows she has the.political acumen of your average rock.
    It's been going around, actually.

Even Dick Ermey is like "dudes, it could be a good idea, but we shouldn't be talking about it or they'll trace it back to us."

OptimusZed on

edited September 2010
    Oh hey, you guys might enjoy Dave's Redistricting App. Several states have political data, but most of them just have population and racial demographics.

Captain Carrot on
  • nstfnstf __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Yep.

Turns out if you suddenly cut off all function of the Federal government, people figure out how much they need it.

It will be double the fun if they try to pull that stunt while we are in a fucking war :lol: that shit won't fly. If the Dems are smart (and that's a huge if) try to pass a tax hike on the top 1% shove in a tax cut for the rest of us, and label it as "funding the troops" let them try to shut shit down.

EDIT- Don't let Obami do it, have someone like Clark try to sell it, and drag up the memory of Murtha as a true Marine hero, and watch the shit fly, it will be glorious. Though as always, I doubt the dems have the nads for it.

nstf on
    edited September 2010
    Republicans wouldn't raise taxes to pay for 9/11 medical care, what makes you think they'll do it to "fund the troops"? Especially when it has nothing to do with that?

Captain Carrot on
    edited September 2010
    Republicans wouldn't raise taxes to pay for 9/11 medical care, what makes you think they'll do it to "fund the troops"? Especially when it has nothing to do with that?

It has fuck all to do with what those loons will agree to, and more to do with shoving shit through via a good tactic. A "in honor of Murtha, go Marines, rawar, pay for freedom" push could work, combined with a tax cut for the rest and a "spend money on TV's for the troops", they won't try it though.

Fund the troops is a holy grail, it's just not used by dems because their base hates them, so it doesn't fly. Now that Murtha is dead, drag out that corpse and let someone like Clark float it, it has a chance.

nstf on
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    nstf wrote: »

It has fuck all to do with what those loons will agree to, and more to do with shoving shit through via a good tactic. A "in honor of Murtha, go Marines, rawar, pay for freedom" push could work, combined with a tax cut for the rest and a "spend money on TV's for the troops", they won't try it though.

Fund the troops is a holy grail, it's just not used by dems because their base hates them, so it doesn't fly. Now that Murtha is dead, drag out that corpse and let someone like Clark float it, it has a chance.
    ...you really have no comprehension about how politics works in the US, do you?

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    edited September 2010
    Sigh. The Democratic base does not hate the troops.

Captain Carrot on
    edited September 2010

...you really have no comprehension about how politics works in the US, do you?

Well that statement is certainly open ended and thus really hard to counter, typical.

However, tell me how an ex NATO commander trotting out a dead Marine hero's corpse in PA (which is kinda swing) with a "tax cuts for all" even when it's a lie and you tax the rich is made of fail and doom, other than drudging up your typical military hating progressives. It can be done.

You'd just have to, shocker, shudder, get a centrist to do it.

This forum alone proves that false. Which is why most democratic true war heroes are laughed off while most conservative draft dodgers are considered credibile, this is an issue you kinda have to fix.

EDIT- hint, I just gave you two names to trot out that nobody can criticize, I know they weren't "progressive" but it is a start, learn to use it.

nstf on
    edited September 2010
    The President is going to be next door to me tomorrow.

Like, literally. The school next to my building.

OptimusZed on

edited September 2010

This forum alone proves that false.
    Prove it. Note that being skeptical of the honesty of the military's top officials is not the same as hating the troops. In any way.
    nstf wrote:
    Which is why most democratic true war heroes are laughed off while most conservative draft dodgers are considered credible, this is an issue you kinda have to fix.
    Really? Progressives need to fix the result of years of baseless conservative lies and slander? It's our fault that the "Swifties" lied shamelessly about John Kerry's war record?

Captain Carrot on
    edited September 2010

This forum alone proves that false.
    Prove it. Note that being skeptical of the honesty of the military's top officials is not the same as hating the troops. In any way.
    nstf wrote:
    Which is why most democratic true war heroes are laughed off while most conservative draft dodgers are considered credible, this is an issue you kinda have to fix.
    Really? Progressives need to fix the result of years of baseless conservative lies and slander? It's our fault that the "Swifties" lied shamelessly about John Kerry's war record?

Are you so dense that you don't get why swift boating worked? Hint it's not actually about Kerry!

nstf on
    edited September 2010
    Right! It's about the media.

enlightenedbum on
    edited September 2010
    I really, really hope the Republicans keep pushing this "tax cuts for everyone" thing long enough to actually stand against middle-class tax cuts on the floor.

The midterm ads practically write themselves.

OptimusZed on

• iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, that damn liberal med... waaaaaait a second. :x

iTunesIsEvil on
    edited September 2010

WRONG!

It's about what their base believes. Which is why nobody backed by progressives, kos, huffpo, can ever be anything but anti military, anti police. And that's why those tactics work. Nobody ever seriously questioned Kerry, they did question those voting for him and if he would cave for them.

nstf on
    edited September 2010
    I suppose it was also about the usual August freakout to fire up the base.

enlightenedbum on
  • juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    EDIT- hint, I just gave you two names to trot out that nobody can criticize, I know they weren't "progressive" but it is a start, learn to use it.

Republicans trashed Murtha for all kinds of reasons. I routinely saw people calling him a traitor because he was against the Iraq war. This blog tactfully slings mud in its post about his death. They'd have gone after Clark with gusto if he'd ever been relevant.

juice for jesus on
    edited September 2010

WRONG!

It's about what their base believes. Which is why nobody backed by progressives, kos, huffpo, can ever be anything but anti military, anti police. And that's why those tactics work. Nobody ever seriously questioned Kerry, they did question those voting for him and if he would cave for them.

Except for the niggling little fact that there have been plenty of candidates featured on Daily Kos who were in the army. And VoteVets.org is distinctly left-leaning. But don't let those facts get in the way of your lie-spouting.

Captain Carrot on
    edited September 2010

WRONG!

Except for the niggling little fact that there have been plenty of candidates featured on Daily Kos who were in the army. And VoteVets.org is distinctly left-leaning. But don't let those facts get in the way of your lie-spouting.

Or:
    Markos is a veteran!

enlightenedbum on
    edited September 2010
    Also, plenty of conservatives called Kerry a liar and a coward.

Captain Carrot on
    edited September 2010
    Also, plenty of conservatives called Kerry a liar and a coward.

The media problem is that they reported the controversy instead of reporting the facts.

That's basically what every media problem boils down to. They thrive off ratings and controversy brings ratings, so they give outright lies and raving lunatics airtime, which gives them credibility. If they did their jobs of reporting the facts, things like swift boating wouldn't have taken hold.

Jragghen on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2010

WRONG!

What color is the sky in your world?

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
    edited September 2010

WRONG!

Which means fuck all since they are backed by progressives! That's like asking me to take a pro nazi person seriously just because a few jews support him (yeah I went there).

Kill the progressive shit, and then push your options, till then, no liberal can be taken seriously on military matters, and until you get that, expect to get slaughtered over "the troops".

nstf on
    edited September 2010

WRONG!

Which means fuck all since they are backed by progressives! That's like asking me to take a pro nazi person seriously just because a few jews support him (yeah I went there).

Kill the progressive shit, and then push your options, till then, no liberal can be taken seriously on military matters, and until you get that, expect to get slaughtered over "the troops".

Of course! Who knew that progressives all inherently want to murder our troops in their sleep despite any evidence to the contrary? I mean, they're progressives! That's like nazi communists!

Jragghen on
  • SpazHappySpazHappy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Why not just do the easy thing and renew the Bush Tax Cuts? Hell you could even call them the Obama tax cuts then.

I do not understand.

If you renewed it for everyone it would cost us 4 trillion over the next decade. But if we raise taxes on the higher brackets it still costs us 3.3 trillion over the next decade anyway.

What's a few more bodies amongst the foundations...

SpazHappy on
    edited September 2010

WRONG!

What color is the sky in your world?

I'd say blue, which is why you're getting your asses kicked all over the place over "the troops" and "heroes" no matter who you vomit up and why you got swift boated, and why "Obama is a traitor" still works.

But hey, call the sky orange, not really my problem.

Or, support progressives and don't attack them, but just don't wonder why "the left hates the troops/cops" holds water when it works.

nstf on
This discussion has been closed.