As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

AC Lurker Thread (NSFW)

• Options
    SeraphSwordSeraphSword Sketch Fetishist Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    NATOFOX, that pic looks kinda like Uma Thurman to me. Looks nice anyway.

Lots of good stuff in this thread.

Moorkus I like your viking.

SeraphSword on
    Mastery is the result of ceaseless error, combined with ruthless self-appraisal.
  • Options
    Wilhelm_IIIWilhelm_III Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hey, long time lurker who tried posting a few times but then was horribly embarressed and then stopped >_>

The_fett_man_cometh_7th_sep_10.jpg

Wilhelm_III on
  • Options
    TaskmanTaskman Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I am here, harvesting the talent in this place by osmosis. And lurking, obviously.

I'll post in this thread though. I'm not really an artist; most of my stuff consists of five or ten minute doodles.

Taskman on
    uGn5f.png
  • Options
    NATOFOXNATOFOX Registered User new member
    edited September 2010
    NATOFOX, that pic looks kinda like Uma Thurman to me. Looks nice anyway.

Lots of good stuff in this thread.

Moorkus I like your viking.

Thanks man!

@Wilhelm. Is that airbrushed? Or PS? Either way ruvvery texture. The colouring of the armor is really nice.

NATOFOX on
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    /delurk

Hey all. Just posting to say that I love this section of the PA forums and always check in here first thing when I log in as my morning ritual at work. Ikage and Polkster are the main draws for me. You guys are amazing in very different ways.

Not artistic in any way myself, however. My creative outlet is by forming programs out of various bits and bytes.

Look forward to seeing what the artists of AC have to show in the future.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    ObiFett wrote: »
    /delurk

Hey all. Just posting to say that I love this section of the PA forums and always check in here first thing when I log in as my morning ritual at work. Ikage and Polkster are the main draws for me. You guys are amazing in very different ways.

Not artistic in any way myself, however. My creative outlet is by forming programs out of various bits and bytes.

Look forward to seeing what the artists of AC have to show in the future.

Programming is for nerds.

[SIZE="-10"]No officer, that python isn't mine! Honest.[/SIZE]

MKR on
  • Options
    kevindeekevindee Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Time to take off the lurking hat for a moment

Finished up what started out as a doodle / anatomy study earlier tonight. I haphazardly made a thread a few months ago and tried to take Angel_of_Bacon and others' advice to heart when it came to colouring, which has been roundly fucking me for a while. I don't mind so much how this came out, and I definitely owe a lot of the progress to people on this forum.

anatomyskullcoloursfini.jpg

If i have time tomorrow I might go back and fix the eyes and some other things, I just never figured this'd come out decent in the first place.

kevindee on
  • Options
    ThinkjunkThinkjunk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I have lurked forever.

Because I love you guys.

And that is a sweet Boba Fett.

Thinkjunk on
  • Options
    FedoraFedora Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    doodlelady.png

I will learn how to draw pretty ladies. Even if it kills me.

I wonder if wakkawa accepts padawan learners.

Fedora on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Fedora

that lady is pretty pretty

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'd like to post here, as I've tried coming back into drawing after being pounded into nothing by work for years and not getting practice. I shall try to post a doodle later to beat my Slump.

EDIT:
    Here we go. I can't shake off the anime style, but I'm trying.
    doodle.jpg

Wearingglasses on
  • Options
    farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    i wish i could eat all the brains of the people in this lurker thread so i might gain their knowledge, their sweet tasty knowledge... A friend at work wants me to do a few character drawings for his L5R game, so yeah its kind of what a white guy might come up with, without doing any actual research
    img048.jpg

farbekrieg on
  • Options
    mrmrmrmr nameless protagonist Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've posted a few times, but it's mostly G&T.

Now, when I say that these are old, I'm not kidding. I havn't done "arts" in a few years.
    The only thing I've done of any substance recently were a bunch of doodles (actual doodles, mind you) of Tekken characters.
    Like Hwoarang, (with awful kicking movement)
    hwoarang2.png

Mokujin,
    mokujin.png

and Paul (among a few others)
    PaulPhoenix.png

But I've done what you'd call "actual art" too! These are paintings I've done (mostly for classes in high school).
    Like this acrylic Idunnowhatthefucktocallit from 2nd year
    unknown.png

and this acrylic Nemesis as a final project for that same year. We could paint whatever we wanted, and even tho I ignored the background, the time I spent on Nemesis himself earned me a high mark.
    Nemesis.png

These are drawings that I've also done. Also for classes, mostly.
    Still life of stuff brought in by students
    stilllife.png

Random sketch of me sitting down near a window with my legs propped up (from my 1st person view, using just a mechanical pencil)
    sketch.png

A half done assignment to reproduce an ad with colored pencil.
    CCAd.png

I have a handful more of each category, that I think are better than these. But I'll start small for now.

mrmr on
    Practice Round, my blog where I talk (mostly) about comics.
    p4.png
  • Options
    NanakiNanaki Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hello AC, long time lurker here. Thank you for this thread, it really takes the pressure off.

I just got a tablet for my birthday and I am loving it! Here are a few things I've done with it so far:

Heim2.jpg

mummu.jpg

lil%20bear%20color.jpg

mouse.jpg

Hope you enjoy them as much as I did making them :) Also I was just curious if there were any tablet specific tutorials out there I should be following (though I'm not even sure what I mean by that exactly). I'm going to try to dabble in some photoshop painting as well.

Nanaki on
    Let's look death in the face and say, "Whatever, man!"
  • Options
    AlecxantAlecxant Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Evening AC. Been gandering around these forums for a little bit, thought I'd give posting a try.

I fully intend on posting more work and getting some critique, but for now I'll throw up a self portrait I did last year.

selfportriatasdf.jpg?t=1284802667

lookin forward to bein a part of these boards and hopefully learning a thing or two. I see a lot of talent posted.

Alecxant on
  • Options
    ParadiseParadise Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wilhelm_III: Don't be embarrassed! Most people come here to improve their art, right? Anyway, I'm digging your textures, colors, and shading. Sure, you've got some work to do, but who doesn't?

Nanaki: Happy belated birthday! Your doodles have lots of personality. Their stylization is cool too. I hope you stick around and post more of your stuff! :mrgreen:

Alecxant: That's a pretty good self portrait. You must have referenced a photo, right? (That would be an impressive angle to get with a mirror.) If you haven't checked out this guy's art, do it. He draws a lot of great portraits from photos.

Paradise on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Paradise wrote: »
    Wilhelm_III: Don't be embarrassed! Most people come here to improve their art, right? Anyway, I'm digging your textures, colors, and shading. Sure, you've got some work to do, but who doesn't?

Nanaki: Happy belated birthday! Your doodles have lots of personality. Their stylization is cool too. I hope you stick around and post more of your stuff! :mrgreen:

Alecxant: That's a pretty good self portrait. You must have referenced a photo, right? (That would be an impressive angle to get with a mirror.) If you haven't checked out this guy's art, do it. He draws a lot of great portraits from photos.

I did use a ref. And I've been watching pineappleherb's thread for a while now. I'm a big fan of his portraits, I'd go as far to say that they inspire me to focus more on faces in my work.

Alecxant on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    t Alecxant that is a pretty rad portrait. I like the style of it. The only thing I have is that I keep looking at the pinky being heavily shadowed in the middle compared to the real lack of it anywhere else on the hand. I'd like to see more tho.

t Nanaki I also like your style right there. The mummy is pretty cool and it feels like those designs would work really well as those soft-vinyl figurines that seem to be everywhere.

More of my junk (these are better, I swear!*)
    *this is a lie
    Here's a Zaku II doodle like my Tekken ones (okay this one isn't better, but I like doodling)
    ZakuII.png

For the better part of my second half of high school, I had an idea for a comic all planned out in my head. The only thing I ever made of it was this dude; a gene-spliced were-mantis. You heard me.
    man-tis.png
    Yes I am fully aware his feet seem to be composed of doorstops.

This is, all self-depreciating aside, my favorite of my paintings. It's from my senior year and I used mostly oils in the whole class. It is a reproduction of a piece by Yoshitaka Amano (which, for the life of me, I cannot seem to find online anymore) that I pretty much eyeballed. Hence it seems a little wider.
    Amano.png

mrmr on
    p4.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    mrmr wrote: »
    t Alecxant that is a pretty rad portrait. I like the style of it. The only thing I have is that I keep looking at the pinky being heavily shadowed in the middle compared to the real lack of it anywhere else on the hand. I'd like to see more tho.

This is, all self-depreciating aside, my favorite of my paintings. It's from my senior year and I used mostly oils in the whole class. It is a reproduction of a piece by Yoshitaka Amano (which, for the life of me, I cannot seem to find online anymore) that I pretty much eyeballed. Hence it seems a little wider.
    Amano.png
    [/SPOILER]

Thanks, that sp was done when I just started to play with ink.

question on the painting: How long did it take to dry? I know very little about painting in general, even less about oils, and I've heard oil paints take a long time to dry.

Postin somethin a little more recent:
    sketchbook62820100007.jpg

Alecxant on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    With any painting it depends on how much you use and how thick you apply it. Oils tend to take longer to dry, usually a few days at the most if its heavily applied paint. Acrylics can dry out within a few hours, give or take. Don't quote me on it tho, it's been a while.

And that sketch has a real "The Walking Dead" vibe. Nice.

mrmr on
    p4.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    With any painting it depends on how much you use and how thick you apply it. Oils tend to take longer to dry, usually a few days at the most if its heavily applied paint. Acrylics can dry out within a few hours, give or take. Don't quote me on it tho, it's been a while.

And that sketch has a real "The Walking Dead" vibe. Nice.

I'm a huge fan of Tony Moore. Sometimes I feel like I try a little too hard to emulate his style, I think this was case with this sketch. But whatever.

Alecxant on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    lauren.png?t=1285058939

i need a scanner again holy fuck

RubberAC on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    From that photo, it's a pretty looking portrait. I dunno if it's the angle you took it at, but the eyes seem a little too high? Or maybe it seems like that because the nose seems a tad undefined (I think that's what I'm looking for). Or maybe I'm crazy. What is it drawn on?

Also, I too need a scanner.
    Like for this.
    Sureal.png
    It's not supposed to be shiny down there on the chessboard, it's just the camera flash. This was a surrealist assignment (shamelessly borrowing the ahriman from final fantasy). I got the idea from Salvadore Dali's The Eye. I have two closeups that kinda dull the flash here and here.

mrmr on
    p4.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    From that photo, it's a pretty looking portrait. I dunno if it's the angle you took it at, but the eyes seem a little too high? Or maybe it seems like that because the nose seems a tad undefined (I think that's what I'm looking for). Or maybe I'm crazy. What is it drawn on?

Also, I too need a scanner.
    Like for this.
    Sureal.png
    It's not supposed to be shiny down there on the chessboard, it's just the camera flash. This was a surrealist assignment (shamelessly borrowing the ahriman from final fantasy). I got the idea from Salvadore Dali's The Eye. I have two closeups that kinda dull the flash here and here.

neat concept. I do enjoy planes floating in space and things like that. Its a refreshing break from structured settings. A way to lessen the 'oil slick' effect on the chessboard that you get from pencil, is to just go slower and less heavy handed with it. If you dig into the paper with the graphite, it is going to crush and create grooves in the paper, which are kind of an eyesore. So basically just slow down and go softer with the pencil. It takes a lot longer, but the results are much more visually pleasing.

Alecxant on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, I know what you're talking about. I can't recall exactly, but I think that was one technique that can be used for certain effects my teacher went over. It was one of those "graded based on how many different techniques you have" projects. Or maybe I'm remembering that all wrong. Either way, it's less noticeable than the pic makes it out to be. :/

mrmr on
    p4.png
  • Options
    AimAim Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've started taking some figure drawing with pastels class at a local arts center. Here's the best one from this week's session:

Week0929.jpg

Aim on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    That's pretty nice looking, but the crossed legs seem a little off. It seems like he's floating as well.

Ok, I'm bringing out the big gun (to me anyway). It's another recreation of an Amano print (this one, and I couldn't find a better pic), which had been cropped and printed with a sub-par printer, hence the off color. But I am proud of it. Used oil pastels.
    Amanooil.png

mrmr on
    p4.png
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Okay, here goes.

Drawing of me for the Questions slide of a presentation I gave:
    BradleyPresentation.jpg

My best friend and his kid
    Jeff-and-Korey-Final.jpg

Piece of PA Fan Art
    My-Belruel.jpg

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    aivesaives Registered User new member
    edited October 2010
    Hi, my name is aives, and i have a problem. I've been a chronic lurker for over 2 years now. At least I think it's been that long.

Anyway, here's some stuff that i snapped some quick pics of from my sketch book with my phone. Sorry about the bad lighting and contrast, this was somewhat a spur of the moment thing.
    Revisited a character design for an animation project i worked on 5 years ago. no reference
    imag0099l.jpg
    Just a leisure sketch that got shaded. no reference
    dragonns.jpg
    drawn after watching batman dark knight. Inspired by Two-face. no reference
    zombiedude.jpg
    Did this after watching Coraline. Drawn without reference, which is why the squid doesn't really resemble the one from the movie... oh well.
    imag0097d.jpg

crits are welcome. Don't worry, you won't scare me back into my hole. It's too dark down there.

aives on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    hey aives, welcome to the forums!
    i always seem to creep out for character design crits, i can't help it, i love char design hahah

for the panda bear, try pushing your proportions a little. you'll get more appeal out of it
    right now the head is approximately the same size as the torso which is approximately the same size as the legs
    his proportions are sort of like a little human kid's. try pushing things around a bit

if you play around with things, you'll find you start getting characters with a much different feel
    also you want to establish a hierarchy, you want to play big shapes and forms off of smaller ones, it creates dynamic looking characters
    so like... big torso, little head little legs... something like that would be more dynamic and interesting to look at than medium sized head, medium sized body, medium sized legs.

push it! and keep posting :)

beavotron on
  • Options
    aivesaives Registered User new member
    edited October 2010
    I feel honored. My first crit in the AC is by beavo. Oddly enough, as soon I posted this, i jogged over to your thread.

You bring up a very good point. I've never really ventured far from feasible anatomical proportions, not on purpose anyway. I'll give that a shot next time i work on a goofy character like this, or when i get bored tomorrow in pathophysiology, haha. I'm not sure i completely understand what you mean about the heirarchy, but when I experiment, it will probably clear some things up. Trial and error :)

aives on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    oh hey i can help you with that

look:

hierarchy.jpg

the first one has proportions similar to yours, where the head, torso and legs are close to the same size... there's no hierarchy
    now look at the other ones... small head, big body, small legs, big head, small body, big legs, big head, small body and legs... you get the picture, there's tons of combinations!
    they don't have to be THIS exaggerated
    but when doing a character design, start out with very simple shapes like this, experimenting with that hierarchy till you find something that's aesthetically pleasing and that suits the personality of the character!

if you've got two characters that you're designing at the same time, try to compliment them by playing these hierarchy's off one another

my favorite example:

Jasper+101+Dalmatians.jpg

beavotron on
  • Options
    SalsaSalsa Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    InsurgeWIPsmcolors.png

hieghtlines-1.png

I was inspired by beavotron's rundown on character design, so I tried to simplify the characters in an image I drew today. It became a relative height design instead, but I'll try and get it down to as few shapes as possible. Going for spaceman, beekeeper, and mascot costume.

(Except for Hipster Security Guard. That design will remain the boring same so I didn't bother.)

I really need to post here more o_o' I'm missing out on the good stuff!

@mrmr: If you can get that shiny graphite going in an intentional way, I think it'll be a pretty cool effect nonetheless. Getting a solid black background would help move the emphasis back on the intended subjects, too. Maybe black ink and brush? Just a suggestion. I don't work in traditional media much.

Salsa on
    "Someday-- that dish will be full of tasty, tasty salsa."
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    There ya go!
    Also I should specify that when doing a less cartoony design, hierarchy can be established using clothing and details. Always be thinking of the silhouette. Batman for example has that standard 7 head tall comic proportion, so does wolverine...but they have a very different silhouette, and it has to do with detailing and very subtle application of the hierarchy rule. Batman has a super broad chest, the squarish head goes up to those 2 small points and he always has a cape on. He has similar build to wolverine, but wolverine's head in silhouette is a very different shape and the small bits are instead the blades in his hands. I'll post an actual breakdown of those two character's silhouettes when I get out of bed.

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    here:

characterdesign.jpg

beavotron on
  • Options
    SalsaSalsa Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    bkmcsmSM.png

Thanks! I don't think I did that tutorial justice but thinking of it that way makes it a lot easier for me.

(I work very large. Should I make these even smaller before posting? I'm always paranoid about that.)

Salsa on
    "Someday-- that dish will be full of tasty, tasty salsa."
  • Options
    XyzzyXyzzy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I love love love the alternative hat.

Xyzzy on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    alternative hat!
    i like the three small rectangles up in the top with the very basic silhouettes in them
    THAT's the sort of stuff I like to see.

great work, salsa!

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    That's pretty nice looking, but the crossed legs seem a little off. It seems like he's floating as well.

Thanks - not sure what's wrong with the legs - I think the floating feeling has to do with the pillow below his legs looking like a shadow :)

He also wasn't quite as fat, and the shadow on his belly could use a bit more definition.

Aim on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    This weeks best effort. Roughly 50 minutes, pastels.

Main things I've noticed is that the head is just a bit too small for the body, and I seem to have missed her right side collar bone :)

Thread remade NSFW :)

Week1006.jpg

Aim on