As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

CIV 5 THREAD: REJOICE MACLOSERS YOU CAN GET ON STEAM W/IT

BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOTKILL DRACULARegistered User regular
edited December 2010 in Social Entropy++
okay in one week exactly we are all going to turn into wretched husks of our former selves

one more turn, just one more

Civilization 5, motherbitches

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqtzhxzJzMI&feature=player_embedded

it looks rad
05_xl.jpg

e3 vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-y99pkS_Vs

here is the lowdown:

Main features

A new combat system (think little guys hitting each other until one side of little guys is all dead, a lá Risk)
New diplomatic interactions
World leaders will speak their native language (it is super neat hearing how they managed to figure out what ancient egyptian sounded like)
New multiplayer interface, friendlier + shinier
Religion is out. totally.
Hexagons will replace the square tile system.
The world is much livelier, featuring animated woodlands, deserts, etc.

Diplomacy

The civilizations will have an all-new advanced AI. All opponents will have fixed characteristics. Based on this unique personality, every AI-player will have their own agenda, which the AI will use to plan how to best play to win the game. But there will also be a certain randomness to avoid having the AI be too easy to predict.

For instance, catherine the great is very likely to want to help you out and form alliances.

Cities

Cities can expand up to 3 hexes. Expansion happens once hex at a time, and expansion is automatic and favors growth tiles that provide food (grassland, wheat) rather than production tiles (forest, mountain).

Research

No more tech trading - you will now be able to make "research deals" with other civs, in which two or more civs join together for research bonuses.
Allied Civs help you with your science, even if they research another tech
this is basically rad as fuck

Economy

You can invest money in your neighboring hexagons to speed up the expansion of your borders, for example trying to acquire an important resource before your opponent. makes going for squares a lot less risky if you have the cash to blow

Terrain
Hills provide defensive and line-of-site advantages
Attacks over rivers are affected
Wounded units can hide in trees and recover! neat!

Combat

One unit will be allowed per hex. This excludes social units such as workers, who can still stack. One social and one military unit can share a tile.
Base movement rates for most "slow" units will now be two tiles per turn, not one.
The general design is meant to move units away from the cities and onto the open fields.
Some units will be allowed to hit targets from multiple hexes away, such as archers and catapults.
Ranged units will be able to provide support fire to adjacent defending units.
Units are not instantly destroyed upon losing a battle, but instead only lose some of their HP.
Units will also be able to swap positions with one another.
Combat units have a zone of control (ZOC) that slows enemy units (you have to be in war with their civilization) to one hex per turn.

Naval
You no longer have to build individual transports, but your units will automatically board transport ships upon entering the water, akin to Rise of Nations.
Ships also can only have one unit per hex.
Your transports may be free, but are also extremely vulnerable and will need to be protected by formations of ships.
The increased accessibility of naval transport is expected to make naval combat far more important.
All warships are ranged units.

Barbarians

The barbarians originate from a barbarian city and will get more advanced units later in the game. You need to wipe out all barbarian cities to get rid of the barbarian hordes. dudes make great scouts

The Hex System

The new hexagonal change is specifically useful in the new, improved combat system. Now you may only have a maximum of one unit in a hexagon. This includes the cities. Shafer says that Panzer General was the main inspiration for this change into a more tactical battlefield. The new system forces your units out of the cities and out into the terrain, forming natural frontlines and taking advantage of good defensive positions. it looks really natural and works well.

Social Policies++
Social policies are now a tree (motherfucking technology tree yeah!) with 10 branches, with culture accumulation allowing to select new policies and stack them with previously unlocked policies. Cultural victory is tried to unlocking a certain amount of the policies tree - after unlocking 6 full branches, it opens the Utopia Project which provides the cultural victory. Honor branch (early in gameplay) provides military bonuses, while the Commerce branch improves the amount of gold you produce. Tradition branch offers Aristocracy, which provides a 33% Wonder production bonus.

I am going to be a filthy communist

Resources

Strategic resources (say horses) no longer allow you to build unlimited mounted units, as you may only build and maintain a limited amount per found resource. If you want more mounted units, you need to acquire more horse resources. If you are allowed 5 mounted units, have 5 mounted units, and a mounted unit is killed or disbanded, you can then build one more mounted unit to replace it. If you lose access to the resource, you keep the existing units, but you have to pay additional maintenance per unit and cannot replace them.

Civilizations and leaders

George Washington of America
Otto von Bismark of Germany
Harun Al Rashid of Arabia
Wu Zetian of China
Oda Nobunaga of Japan
Julius Caesar of Rome
Napoleon Bonaparte of France (my homie)
Gandhi of India
Montezuma of the Aztecs
Queen Elizabeth of England
Askia of Songhai
Catherine of Russia (a babe)
Alexander the Great of Greece
Ramesses II of Egypt (teefs' go to guy)
Hiawatha of the Iroquois
Suleiman the Magnificent of the Ottomans
Darius of Persia
Ramkhamhaeng of Siam

ok enough talk, here's the site

more stuff

steam group

vent info is vtx14.defconservers.com 3860 fortytwo

get talking about this wonderful fucking black hole of free time

Beasteh on

• thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Why

why did they have to release this in the middle of the semester

thanimations on
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    motherfucker, I need to get this and FFXIV and the new fallout game all at once

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    i am making up blowjob coupons for anyone who will buy me this game

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    any reviews or gameplay videos of this yet?

man what do I care it's not like I can run it

FAQ on
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    between social policies and improved character ai unique to the seperate monarchs I'm stoked as hell

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    teefs got me into this and you have no idea how much of a nut i am bustin for it

Beasteh on
  • TaskmanTaskman Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I have pre-loaded this on steam and it is sitting there on my hard drive, unreachable and eating me alive. It's going to be a slow week.

Taskman on
    uGn5f.png
  • FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Needs more Bismarck punching Washington.

But yea, it'll be fantastic. Steam just finished pre-loading and I'm kinda sad that you can't even open the intro movie or the manual PDF.

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • SupraluminalSupraluminal Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    As much as I love Civ games, I'm probably going to hold off on buying Civ 5 for a few months, maybe longer. My reasoning is that, if the past games are any indication, it'll be a decent game for $50+ at release or an incredible game with less bugs, more content, and cool mods for $30 in about 2 years.

Supraluminal on
  • ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    you can pre-load it?

hot damn!

Shabooty on
  • RabidDeathMooseRabidDeathMoose Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    These games are all so unbelievably awesome. Civ 1 taught me how to hate!
    FUCKING RUSSIA/MONGOLS

RabidDeathMoose on
  • nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I need a job so I can buy this game.
    I want to hold it in my hands.

nuka on
    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
    edited September 2010
    For all its complexity, the fanbase - judging from the CivFanatics forums - is made up of really really whiny bitches.

Ferrus on
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    oh hey civ 5

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    edited September 2010
    Ferrus wrote: »
    For all its complexity, the fanbase - judging from the CivFanatics forums - is made up of really really whiny bitches.

all forums everywhere are made up of whiny bitches

forums were invented so cavemen could have a place to whine

Shabooty on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    the only reason the PA forums are less whiny is because we have benevolent tyrants for moderators
    <3 you guys

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    edited September 2010
    Yea, that's why I specified "really really" whiny bitches.

"OH NOES TEH GAME ISNT MOAR CONVOLUTED THAN CIVIV! ITLL SUUUUUCK! WE WNAT NUMBERS!!!!"

Edit: And of course let's not forget "WHER IS <insert random country>???!?!?! IS GRAT COUNTRY WITH MANY HISTORY!!! U RACIST!!!!"

Ferrus on
    edited September 2010
    going to roll bitches

feel my communist might pokin your back

Beasteh on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I have civ 3 and 4 but I have never played them

I do remember Call to Power and reading about somebody who was able to steamroll super high tech armies using swarms of musketeers and cannons

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    oh goddamnit no

also no saladin?

boo

PiptheFair on
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Just one more turn oh God does that clock say three o'clock in the morning fuck

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    All the money I was going to spend on this game bought me a PSP instead.

NO REGRETS.
    (I'll probably get this for Christmas or something)

George Fornby Grill on
    edited September 2010
    this game has hexagonal clouds

for some reason i find that really endearing

Beasteh on
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've already purchased this off Steam and will roll a shining example of a capitalist free country with George Washington. I will also bomb any motherfucker who comes within 100 miles of my sovereign lands.

Hunter on
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    There's a new thing where cities have innate defenses now right? I think I read that.

No more whoooooops left my city undefended for one turn and barbarians razed it bullshit.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    yeah

but you can only have one unit in a city max I think

FAQ on
    edited September 2010
    I'm eager to face the wrath of the barbarian axeman

or those fucking barbarian bears

Shabooty on
    edited September 2010
    There's a new thing where cities have innate defenses now right? I think I read that.

No more whoooooops left my city undefended for one turn and barbarians razed it bullshit.

Yeah, those sneaky fucking barbarians would come out of nowhere to rape your city the second you moved your troops. That got annoying.

Hunter on
    edited September 2010
    Shabooty wrote: »
    I'm eager to face the wrath of the barbarian axeman

or those fucking barbarian bears

I will launch preemptive nuclear strikes against all bears. That is my election slogan.

Hunter on
    edited September 2010
    One-Unit-Per-City is a good idea. Never again do I have to watch 5 minutes of superstacks attacking a city with 5 dudes in it.

Edit: This is by far the best complaint: "Civ5 inserts tactical combat into a strategy game!"

Ferrus on
  • RabidDeathMooseRabidDeathMoose Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ferrus wrote: »
    One-Unit-Per-City is a good idea. Never again do I have to watch 5 minutes of superstacks attacking a city with 5 dudes in it.

Edit: This is by far the best complaint: "Civ5 inserts tactical combat into a strategy game!"

Please tell me you made that complaint up. I'm begging you.

RabidDeathMoose on
    edited September 2010
    you under(over?)estimate rabid civ fans

Beasteh on
  • Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    teefs thread

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
    edited September 2010
    mourn thefarside

remember her passing

Beasteh on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    nah

teefs is very nice outside of the forums, but she was anathema to this community

PiptheFair on
  • Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    rip fartside

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You should mourn the loss of that tasty ice cream treat I just ate. Truly, a snack taken before it's time.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Is this like Civ 3, where you can play a single match for hours and hours on end, and still not finish, or is it more like Civ 4, which I hear plays much faster?

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Civ 4 is still in my queue of games to play, so I don't think I'm going to be getting to this one any time soon. Maybe I'll just skip numero 4 entirely though...

YoSoyTheWalrus on
    tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
    edited September 2010
    t krunk: kind of a middle ground i guess

games are substantially long, but not TOO long

Beasteh on