As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Android] Thread: We like portable shower buttons

• Simjanes2kSimjanes2k Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Just received my cables and screen protectors from Monoprice.com. Six-foot USB cables for like a dollar each, protectors for a buck. Best money I have spent since I bought my woman her engagement ring dudes. Real quality cables, even though they're from China. I kinda expected shitty shielding and terminals, but it's good stuff.

Something goes right for a change when my money is at stake, yay!

Simjanes2k on
  • CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ok so I need some quick info about a text I received from Verizon. Number was 900070002834. Text read "Free VZW Msg. Your Droid was sent the Android 2.w softwaree update including Adobe Flash 10.1. Click for more info:"

Is this legitimate or scam? Seems odd Verizon would send an update this way

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • archonwarparchonwarp Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Probably legit. Why don't you call customer service if you're worried?

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ok so I need some quick info about a text I received from Verizon. Number was 900070002834. Text read "Free VZW Msg. Your Droid was sent the Android 2.w softwaree update including Adobe Flash 10.1. Click for more info:"

Might just be a notification that the update is available. Best way to check is go to Settings > About phone > System updates.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Bullio wrote: »

Might just be a notification that the update is available. Best way to check is go to Settings > About phone > System updates.

Tried it and it said no update is available

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Just FYI for X users, the Camera Roll gallery is borked after Sept 1st, apparently if you have any sort of photo tagged from July in there you can't do use the thumbnail view in portrait mode without it crashing and kicking you back out. Its a known issue now and fixed with 2.2 which I guess is coming out shortly.

This was driving me nuts the last few days until I googled it and saw all the complaints about it at the DroidXForums and Motorola forums

Allforce on
  • KazooKazoo Get in the van. I have candy.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I read yesterday that the 2.2 for Droid X is pushed back to around the beginning of October. I'm a sad panda.

Kazoo on
  • pheknophekno Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Did swype kill support for the Droid1? I got the beta update yesterday and, while the keyboard comes up and I can draw on it, no text shows up. I uninstalled and reinstalled and its still fd up. I am running on CyanogenMod 6 if tghat makes a difference.

phekno on
    steam_sig.png
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Fourth Nexus is waiting for me at home

fingers crossed that there won't be a fifth.

Evander on
  • DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Is rooting the only way to change the lock screen?

Daemonion on
    edited September 2010
    no, there are apps that do that. i don't know any off the top of my head, though

Evander on
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    widgit locker does it

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • DeicistDeicist Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Desire HD was just officially announced:

http://www.theunwired.net/?item=photoview-htc-desire-hd-android-smartphone&5627

Pretty much the Desire, but with an aluminium unibody case, bigger (4.3") screen and 8mp camera. Comes with Froyo as standard as well.

Glad I held out for my upgrade, Hope vodafone UK get them in soon.

Deicist on
  • AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Desire Z, too. [STRIKE]Slider[/STRIKE] Pop-out QWERTY keyboard.

Pretty much international versions of the EVO and G2, although with HTC Sense on the latter and without a kickstand on the former.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2010
    ugh

new nexus is perfect, except that some one did a shitty job putting it back together, and the back bulges just enought that when I put the battery cover on it, there is a gap in one side, large enough for all manner of dust and grit to get through.

This is too much. I need to figure out who to contact on this, I can't just keep swapping phones until I luck out. New units still exist, even if the repair warehouse doesn't have any. I paid $530 for this phone, and some one really needs to make this right.

Evander on
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ok, this sounds very cool.
    In addition to the announcement of the HTC Desire HD and Desire Z and the London event today, HTC managed unveiled a new cloud-based service for HTC Sense phones that will feature some cool options:

* A locate feature that allows you to remotely ring your phone, even if it is set to vibrate
    * Remote lock and wipe if you have your phone stolen or lost
    * Backups for contacts, call history, data, customizations, and even text messages
    * Sharing and editing for multimedia content (read: pictures and video shot on your phone)
    * Send messages from your computer to the lock screen of your phone

A lot of these features can be done already with various apps and services, but having them all native is a definite plus. Almost makes me wish I'd gone with the Incredible over the X (almost).

Also, I see Fruit Ninja is up on the Android market now for $1. It looks like a fun little time waster. Any thoughts from the iPhone/iPad people?

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Evander wrote: »
    ugh

new nexus is perfect, except that some one did a shitty job putting it back together, and the back bulges just enought that when I put the battery cover on it, there is a gap in one side, large enough for all manner of dust and grit to get through.

This is too much. I need to figure out who to contact on this, I can't just keep swapping phones until I luck out. New units still exist, even if the repair warehouse doesn't have any. I paid $530 for this phone, and some one really needs to make this right.
    The wonderful world of refurbished phones.

JAEF on
  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Anyone got a recommendation for a good password manager?

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Bullio wrote: »
    Ok, this sounds very cool.
    In addition to the announcement of the HTC Desire HD and Desire Z and the London event today, HTC managed unveiled a new cloud-based service for HTC Sense phones that will feature some cool options:

* A locate feature that allows you to remotely ring your phone, even if it is set to vibrate
    * Remote lock and wipe if you have your phone stolen or lost
    * Backups for contacts, call history, data, customizations, and even text messages
    * Sharing and editing for multimedia content (read: pictures and video shot on your phone)
    * Send messages from your computer to the lock screen of your phone

A lot of these features can be done already with various apps and services, but having them all native is a definite plus. Almost makes me wish I'd gone with the Incredible over the X (almost).

Also, I see Fruit Ninja is up on the Android market now for $1. It looks like a fun little time waster. Any thoughts from the iPhone/iPad people?

eh, it's up in the air whether older sense phones will have access to the features, or if it's just going to be models from the desire HD/desire Z and forward.

Dehumanized on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Alright. I think this is a stupid question, but I want to make sure I have a definitive answer. Do Apps bought at the market carry over from phone to phone, based on an account?

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Nice, would love it if it's added for Desire. Sounds pretty cool and I'd rather have an official HTC app handle shit like wiping my contact info than tacked-on (paid) third party apps.

Apparently paid market apps test is up for South korea and India. Hopefully Japan and Europe to follow soon.

Alegis on
  • Simjanes2kSimjanes2k Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I got a text the day after my HTC Incredible updated to Froyo 2.2. I'm not sure why they sent a text about it, you have to confirm to update anyway, and the text comes after it's done. Whatever, I'm happy I got it.

Question about media players: My fiance's Droid 2 stopped playing music yesterday. She put music on from her laptop, and it worked fine for about two weeks, and now every time you go to open a file in the player it says "not supported format" or something. Borked?

Simjanes2k on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    http://www.droid-life.com/2010/09/13/verizon-preparing-android-2-2-release-for-droid-x-hidden-document-found/

verizon site posted semi-hidden info about the Droid X 2.2 update

hopefully this means its on its way

nexuscrawler on
  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    http://www.droid-life.com/2010/09/13/verizon-preparing-android-2-2-release-for-droid-x-hidden-document-found/

verizon site posted semi-hidden info about the Droid X 2.2 update

hopefully this means its on its way

nexuscrawler on
    edited September 2010
    JAEF wrote: »
    Evander wrote: »
    ugh

The wonderful world of refurbished phones.

I honestly believe that they would have sent me a new phone by now if anyone i spoke to had access to any. I just need to insist on speaking to supervisors now until I get some one with the authority to do something out of protocol. There may have to be a fifth phone, but I DO NOT want there to be a sixth one.

Evander on
  • Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Time to write letters to people in high places and hope one of them takes notice?

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Huzzah, Snesoid Lite now saves properly (using the in-game saves, not the state saves).

Also it's reappeared on the Android Market for my SE phone. Whoo!

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So I have the Droid 1. I've been having some problems with it lately where it randomly, without warning, restarts my phone. It's usually whenever I'm closing it/opening that it happens. So I'm thinking about going to Verizon and looking to get a replacement (I heard you can probably get the Droid 2 since they don't make the Droid 1 anymore).

I'm worried that since the phone could probably be refurbished and sent out to someone else, what can I do to ensure that all my information is wiped off of it? All applications I used and what information I put in there. My browsing history as well as records of information I put in.

I used my phone to pay bills, check bank accounts, buy stuff, and a lot of things like that. So my credit card, bank information, and other sensitive things are stored in the phone, I'm sure. I want to make sure that if it is refurbished and someone else gets it, they can't get any of my data off of it.

Also, I don't trust anyone to do this. I'm sure you'll say Verizon will do it, but assuming that they don't or forget. I usually am not paranoid about things like this, but I've never sent off a device that had all my information like this before. And the possibility of it being refurbished just frightens me.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ayulin wrote: »

Pretty much international versions of the EVO and G2, although with HTC Sense on the latter and without a kickstand on the former.

Taking bets on how long it will take for this to break:

htc-desire-z15.jpg

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    3 weeks of moderate usage.

Bolthorn on
  • darkgruedarkgrue Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    CarbonFire wrote: »

Early reviews say the hinge is not just very clever, but appears to be pretty durable. But to be fair to your question, I doubt outside of any testing HTC did in development, no one knows for sure.

Press touts the uniqueness of the hinge, and it is in a sense, but it appears to be a double-bar arrangement, which isn't all that unusual in and of itself. It's new to cellphones perhaps, but not mechanical engineering. Making it fit the unique form and fit requirements of a cellphone while making it durable would be.

I've seen some stuff that looked pretty flimsy prove to be otherwise, so I think the hinge will probably hold up. From what I've seen of the pictures circulating of it, it's likely the hinge is really vulnerable only when it's held half-open like it is in the photo you posted (which isn't a natural state for it, it snaps open and closed), and it's pretty mechanically stable in the opened and closed positions.

Since my contract's up for renewal, I plan on getting in on the preorder and replacing my G1 with this.

darkgrue on
  • ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I think I've had more fun with my .99 Fruit Ninja game than my last xbox 360 purchase.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Alright. I think this is a stupid question, but I want to make sure I have a definitive answer. Do Apps bought at the market carry over from phone to phone, based on an account?

App store purchases are linked to your google account. If you apply your google account to a phone, then that phone has access to any and all apps you have purchased.

Additionally, if you buy an app and hate it, you can return it within 24 hours.

Dehumanized on
  • Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    darkgrue wrote: »

Early reviews say the hinge is not just very clever, but appears to be pretty durable. But to be fair to your question, I doubt outside of any testing HTC did in development, no one knows for sure.

Press touts the uniqueness of the hinge, and it is in a sense, but it appears to be a double-bar arrangement, which isn't all that unusual in and of itself. It's new to cellphones perhaps, but not mechanical engineering. Making it fit the unique form and fit requirements of a cellphone while making it durable would be.

I've seen some stuff that looked pretty flimsy prove to be otherwise, so I think the hinge will probably hold up. From what I've seen of the pictures circulating of it, it's likely the hinge is really vulnerable only when it's held half-open like it is in the photo you posted (which isn't a natural state for it, it snaps open and closed), and it's pretty mechanically stable in the opened and closed positions.

Since my contract's up for renewal, I plan on getting in on the preorder and replacing my G1 with this.

I JUST ordered a G1, but I'll probably be wanting a Z once they're available unlocked. :)

Iceman.USAF on
  • AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    darkgrue wrote: »

I JUST ordered a G1, but I'll probably be wanting a Z once they're available unlocked. :)

Yeah, I remember when the G1 was announced people were skeptical about it's slider mechanism too, but I haven't seen anything about that snapping either. We'll see, though.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Is there any actual advantage to that design? It seems like it would be harder to open and less durable than a standard slider.

JohnDoe on
  • Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    JohnDoe wrote: »

Is there any actual advantage to that design? It seems like it would be harder to open and less durable than a standard slider.

I believe the idea is that your screen and keyboard are closer to being on the same plane than say, a Droid.

Will that be worthwhile? HTC seems to think so, but it remains to be seen.

Iceman.USAF on
  • darkgruedarkgrue Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    JohnDoe wrote: »

I believe the idea is that your screen and keyboard are closer to being on the same plane than say, a Droid.

Will that be worthwhile? HTC seems to think so, but it remains to be seen.

Yup, a lot of slider phones have the problem where usability of the top row of the keyboard is hindered because of the step-up between the keyboard and screen makes getting to the keys more difficult. This is supposed to solve that problem.

darkgrue on
  • warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    First post from new phone.the site looks extra wide though. Got a Droid X last night.so much stuff to figure out

warder808 on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.